Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
Bloodhound: Crowbar Medicine #5

For context Travis Clevinger is an ex-cop, current convict on a work release program with the FBI tracking down people with superpowers. In this series a scientist has been offering to implant people with a device that will give them superpowers, they tracked him down to his base of operations only to discover he had implanted himself with some kind of Green Lantern construct ability and a healing factor. They were then captured so he could explain his plant to rouse the population against superpowered individuals by showing it inevitably corrupted them and led to tragedy and loss of life. This is when Travis gets free and traumatises the entire room.

I could post most of what he gets up to in Bloodhound since he takes a licking but keeps on ticking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

In the context of the series he's the protagonist, though I would hesitate to call him a hero. In about 17 issues that was the first time the excessive violence was used upon a person of colour, the majority of the time it has been used upon white criminals and sociopaths abusing powers. Which was probably part of why it didn't seem problematic to me, though in hindsight I can understand why people would have issues with it. The handing out of superpowers themselves formed a metaphor for gun control and the idea that "the only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun", in an earlier issue Clevinger lost his daughter to an explosion caused by a well meaning person attempting to stop an armed mugging with superpowers granted by the scientist.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah, thank goodness Amazon doesn't have trades with those issues, that would be terrible!

http://www.amazon.com/Captain-Brita...tain+alan+moore

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Captain-Britain-Vol-4-Siege-Camelot/dp/184653433X/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_y

quote:

Captain Britain returns fighting alongside the Black Knight and Merlyn to save fabled Camelot and Otherworld from the hideous hordes of Necromon! Plus, Captain Britain is reborn as the acclaimed Alan Moore and Alan Davis begin their momentous run and Britain's hero faces the terrifying Fury! Collects Hulk Comic Weekly #42-55, 56-63, Marvel Super Heroes #387-388, Daredevils #1-11 and The Mighty World of Marvel #7-13.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Parahexavoctal posted:

Lot of nice scenes in the original Suicide Squad - for instance, Gort vs Deadshot.

Ivan Illyich Gort was an 80-year-old Soviet metahuman who'd fought in WW2, where he was nicknamed "Stalnoivolk" - a name that means both "Steel Wolf" and "Stalin's Wolf", which should give you an idea of his personality. He had the powers of Superman from Action Comics #1 - he could leap 1/8 of a mile, hurdle 20-story buildings, raise tremendous weights, outrun a train, and nothing less than a bursting shell could penetrate his skin. Not modern-day Kryptonian by any means -- not even Superman from 1945 -- but pretty drat impressive when up against normal humans.

So when Amanda Waller recruits him for the Squad, he tells her that he's so grateful to her for getting him out of prison that he won't kill her. Then he gets set to leave... and discovers that maybe only a bursting shell could have penetrated his skin back in the 40s, but nowadays we have lasers.

Anyway. Gort gets sent on a Squad mission, with Deadshot-and-a-laser-pistol as a chaperone. As usual for Squad missions, things go terribly wrong, and their plane gets shot out of the sky, stranding the survivors in a jungle in Cambodia. Gort wants to just walk away from the mission and leave everyone else to die, but Deadshot points the laser pistol at him...

and later, because Gort was being so uncooperative, Deadshot is riding him piggyback, and holding him at laser-pistolpoint. They even meet some Russian metas, and Gort asks them (in Russian) if they could "get rid of this flea on my back", and Deadshot says (also in Russian) "one wrong move, comrade, and a beam of light goes in one ear and out the other", and the Russians back down.

Anyway. Eventually the mission concludes, more people die, (as someone on Usenet once said, "it wouldn't be a Squad mission without the bitter taste of ashes"), the survivors get out, and Gort gets left behind. And someone asks Deadshot "why didn't you use the laser pistol to <set off the explosives or something, I don't remember precisely what it was>?"

and Deadshot says "oh, the laser pistol broke when we fell out of the plane. drat thing's completely useless."

They didn't fall out of the plane.

Edit: Ostrander really made Deadshot who he was, the new 52 origin is just weak compared to the old one.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

He just realised he's surrounded by a bunch of sociopaths who are unmoved by the destruction of a city.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Destroyer MAX miniseries from 2009 with Robert Kirkman writing, Cory Walker on art and Val Staples on colouring.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

It was, a psychic disease that turned their powers against themselves resulting in immolation.

From Martian Manhunter v2 #0 written by John Ostrander with art by Tim Mnadrake.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

I can think of another two well written "deaths" of Superman that put anything Max Landis can conceive of to shame, Alan Moore's Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow, a farewell to the Silver Age and Grant Morrison's All Star Superman which also served as a rather fond tribute to Silver Age Superman.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Every issue ends with a text discussion between Uatua and Machine Man explaining the info you need to know

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

I love that run, the pulp Iron Fist, the other immortal weapons. It's all just fun.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'm mostly just wondering how a lady got to the moon to pock the damned thing up.

It's Marvel, little old ladies probably go up to the moon for tea and cakes with the Watcher or Black Bolt first Sunday of the month.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Miniature red sun kneepads.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

He was being backed by the rich collateral damage of the Marvel Universe.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Skwirl posted:

I really want to see these pages.

I do love John Ostrander and Tom Mandrake's work, I should look up some Grimjack panels for the thread one of these days.

And this is the reason his lawyer mentioned Vlatava.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

That's what Hank McCoy is there for.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

It felt a little self-indulgent.

Whedon.txt

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Nah, the anatomy is still buggered. For a start his left arm would have to be made of rubber or it broke as well, also his body should be on Walter's right side from the momentum of the grab and the punch. It's just a bit of bad art.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

When it's exploding heads? Yeah!

Animated gifs were invented because of Scanners, I'm pretty sure.

I think you mean Riki-Oh.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Even DKR involved a significantly weakened Superman and Bruce essentially counting on him holding back long enough for the Kryptonite gas arrow to come into play.

I try to forget the sequel.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Vincent posted:

Lurdiak posted:

That scene really rides the line between badass and comical.

Miller.txt

Miller gently accelerating towards that batshark, ski's steady, the ramp shining in the sun.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Daktar posted:

Planetary had evil Fantastic Four though. That doesn't seem much like 'capes at face value' to me.

Evil Fantastic Four who killed not-Superman when he was a baby, wiped out not-Wonder Woman and her civilisation and ripped out the ring from not-Green Lantern's chest. oh and they blackmailed not-Nick Fury into working for them.

Planetary was pulps and pulp-sci-fi with just a soupçon of capes rather than a cape comic. As for Ruins I kind of like it now, but I read it as taking the piss out of nitpicking comic nerds by pointing out how horrifically wrong their favourite comic origins could have gone. First time I read it though I was pretty annoyed with the attempt to create a cynical nihilistic counterpoint to the hopeful tone of Marvels.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Wildstorm did have its own Captain America, the constantly reincarnating soul of George Washington.

There he is killing Hitler.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

prefect posted:

I don't know if this is a fair comparison, but nothing says "patriotic hero" to me like a flag tattooed on your face.

Well he was patriotic to the idea of America rather than the country. So he attacked Wall Street, destroyed the records of various major banks, shot a senator in the head and killed the Supreme Court Justices before they were able to stop him.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Oda started as an assistant for the Rurouni Kenshin guy. Pretty sure a lot of the bignames nowadays started off as assistants.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Idran posted:

Yeah, but compared to how many assistants that didn't?

No idea, from what I can gather from Google though it seems to be the general entrance route to the industry for most people, for example Murata started off as an assistant to Obata Takeshi. Interestingly they apparently get paid out of the credited creators pocket and do get credits on the volume collections, so it seems to be less exposure and more of an apprenticeship system.

Anyway for content here's a time travelling cowboy fighting a tyrannosaurus rex from 2000Ad's Flesh.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

There was another arc that got a bit weird with Satanism and some Moonchild business that ended with Mary Poppins killing Harry Potter.

I did read one of the books featuring Nemo's daughter, who took the title, that was pretty neat involving a Mountains of Madness type expedition and this new one looks quite fun as well.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

prefect posted:

I call bullshit on this, because Tony Stark is a great engineer, but not the kind of scientist who could build a synthezoid. :spergin:

Creating, probably not, but rebuilding him? I can buy that, they most likely ran hundreds if not thousands of scans on Vision over the years, giving him a lot of info. Not to mention the possibility of consulting with the likes of Reed Richards, but of course Tony's ego wouldn't let him admit to doing that.

:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Alacron posted:

I don't think that any thought beyond "THIS IS HARDCORE BRO" was put into this.

Mark Millar in a nutshell.