Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
A PYF discussion about the Thor MCU films reminded me of the all-time badass moment from Simonson's Thor, so I dug it out of this thread's archives.

bobkatt013 posted:

This is still one of the most badass moments in a comic full of badass moments.
Let there be Skurge! Thor 362
Sorry about so many but they are all needed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Spy X Family.
In the continuing saga of Mr and Mrs Spy: Lloid, our spy husband, has partnered with another spy, codenamed Nightfall, to infiltrate an illegal underground tennis ring. After they easily smashed it, the returning spies bumped into assassin wife Yor and her daughter playing tennis in the park. Nightfall is carrying a torch for the husband, and is determined to break up the fake marriage.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Monster #8
Kafka Hibino, 30 year old washout, has joined up with a squad of rookie Kaiju hunters.

They're a little overshadowed by Major MotokoCommander Mina and her great big gently caress-off cannon.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

The grunts are there to handle the lesser monsters that swarm around the skyscraper Kaiju. Part of the series gimmick is that their equipment is based on captured Monster biotech; the closer you match your mindset to a monsters, the more psychic damage your bullets inflict. Nobody else can handle guns that big.

( if somebody wanted to post some Stokoe Half Century War, please go for it! )

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Alacron posted:

My favorite (minor) detail? At some point in the past Chainsaw Man erased all Nazi's from existence
If you like that kind of thing, you might dig Undead Unluck. It's about superpowered rulebreakers; each of the protagonsts is UN-something. Undead is immune to death; the rule means nothing to him. Unluck triggers an improbable, unsurvivable act of random chance when she touches anyone. They're perfect for each other.

"Ninety-eight times..."

It's got a rough few starting chapters, but it quickly goes full-bore bonkers.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

More people should be reading Shiori Experience.
So there's this band, right? A teacher and her misfit students who got kicked out of the other music clubs.

Somehow, they managed to squeak their way onto the line-up at the big interschool festival.

Nobody expects anything from them.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I take it the previous 7 volume covers reference famous album covers as well?

The whole series is a tribute to the authors' love of Jimi Hendrix and Cobain. The protagonist is possessed by Hendrix's ghost, who refused heaven so he could stay closer to the music.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Immortal Hulk 42
Gyrich is being his usual charming self.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

The best part is how even the grimdarkest of adventurers can't resist joining in his goofy schtick.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Chinston Wurchill posted:

It's a tangent from this tangent but I hope you're all reading Gillen's Once & Future which is basically this conversation in comic book form, albeit with more gun-wielding British grannies.
I feel like the first trade was great, and then the pacing screeched to a halt with the introduction of Beowulf. Has it improved at all since he got sorted out?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Monster #8.

Back in the first chapter, the Commander was introduced alongside her tiger bff.

And I was like, awesome, I can dig it. But is the tiger an emotional support animal, or a mere signpost of how badass she is?

No, it turns out the tiger exists to absorb recoil for her anti-Kaiju rifle.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

drat nigh every issue of Spy X Family has a scene that belongs in the Badass thread. It's real good.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Are you reading Spy X Family? You should be reading Spy X Family.

Yor, the world's best step-mom/assassin, is on assignment on the deck of a cruise ship. She and her boss get ambushed by the international hit squad hunting their target.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Hero Academia Vigilantes #111

Powerless brawler hero Knuckle-Duster has had a rough time. Once a promising speedster hero, he had his superpower stolen and ruined his own life. His drinking and self-destructive behaviour drove his wife and daughter away. But in his aging years, he's trying really hard to make up for it.

Throughout the series, he's been tracking his former student, nicknamed Experiment #6, who stole his powers, and their last clash left Knuckle-duster permanently on crutches and missing an eye. This time he won't miss.

Far away, his kid.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

From Sanda, a wholesome Christmas manga from the Beastars creator.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

I think every page is both more gorgeous and less interesting than the last. The early chapters mixed spectacle with humor and character, but we've been in pure spectacle land for years now. Saitama and Genos cameo sometimes in a series hjiacked by beautifully drawn meaningless slapfights. Garou is the least interesting villain to ever smirk-punch, and he's the best of the thin gruel of short-lived opposition.

Folks should watch Mob Pyscho instead. A great dynamic cast of heroes and antagonists, gorgeous animation, and consistent pacing throughout.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

I found it much easier to follow in print! The collected editions are great, though they're missing some of the prose side stories.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

So! Lake of Fire? It rules.

The setup: Crusaders vs Xenomorphs.

Later, as the Crusaders trace back the horde to the ruined starship they crawl from.

Squidster fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 24, 2023

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

I have the trade at home, and didn't want to break the spine to scan the pages. It's worth picking up on Amazon or eBay! I think it's mostly out of print now.

EDIT:

Done and done.
\/\/\/\/\/

Squidster fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 24, 2023

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

This thread needs some Sakamoto Days.

The setup: a renegade faction of assassins has started a massacre at an office building owned by the Japanese Assassins Association. Gaku, a murderous rear end in a top hat with a sweet hammer, has the bad luck of pissing off the last of the old guard.

-- A lil' later --

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

One of my favourite Sakamoto Days sequences, between an aging assassin devoured by her own bloodlust, and Osaragi, an assassin enforcer / gothic murder prodigy.

Sakomoto Days #97

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

I want to share a completely badass intro from Touge Oni #18, in which our travelling saint and his two students wake an old, old god.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Another great little moment from Touge Oni #12. At the top of the highest mountain lives the great dragon Hitokoto-Nushi; if you can survive the deadly climb to the peak, she will grant you a a single wish. In this flashback, our saint is asked to name his wish. He's in love with her, but not foolish enough to ask her to love him.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

I'm not gonna post it because it only dropped today, but fans of badass poo poo should be reading this week's Spy X Family.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

MarriageToxin #54:
Super assassin Gero has been given twelve months to find a wife, Or Else. He's partnered up with a crossdressing marriage swindler to find true love, and they've got him taking odd jobs to find suitable marriage candidates. This time, he's helping a bodyguard lady get a mob princess to safety.

Squidster fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Aug 30, 2023

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

I think there's a misunderstanding that the comic was deconstructing the worlds of capes; I think it was looking at social activism through the visual metaphor of capes. An encyclopedic knowledge of superhero minutiae shouldn't be a prerequisite for a good story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Sakamoto Days #151
A rebel assassin sect is launching a coup, as one does. Our belligerents:

Gaku the Hammer, toxic gamer and servant of the rebel Slur.

Nagumo, King of Liars, who wields a transforming swiss-army knife.