Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I know it's par for the course in comic books, but how does being caught mid-air by a guy made of rocks then continuing to drop to the ground at all cushion you from the impact?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

That ship in the last panel says "Mary Sew" on it. Coincidence?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

prefect posted:

People love badasses and villains. This isn't new.

They also don't really have much of a shades of grey morality going on, considering the other side is screaming hell-demons straight out of a 70's airbrushed van painting. At this point the setting's basically designed to fit fascist rhetoric perfectly, complete with a Great Other and an Enemy Within that can't be reasoned with and has to be destroyed at all costs.

The real solution is to not take it seriously at all and treat it as the over-the-top absurd mish-mash of sci-fi elements it is, but at some point Games Workshop started playing everything straight-faced and it became unbearable.

That is kind of a badass speech though in a scenery-chewing cartoon villain kind of way, just not at all a sympathetic or commendable one.

Edit: VVVV This is probably the better answer.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 16, 2014

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I always thought Tony was supposed to be naively cavalier in his pre-Iron Man days, where he makes weapons because it's fun and hey, good guys need weapons to blow up bad guys so let the hippies whine about it if they want. His origin story seems to focus on opening his eyes to the reality of the weapons manufacturing industry and what his business was actually up to. Is that the right read, or does it depend on who's writing the backstory this time?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

You only need to go back a dozen pages in this very thread to find a similar example in comics writing to the Punisher being able to resist the Penance Stare, this one being Doom being judged by Bast.

Trundel posted:

More Doom panels! In Doomwar, Doctor Doom attempts to steal Wakanda's largest vibranium stockpile and has to submit himself to Bast in order to access it.

That's some drat good Doom.

It's an old cliche to have some character show off how strong their will is or some such thing. Personally I don't like it very much since it's kind of lazy writing, it feels contrived just for the sake of spoonfeeding to the audience how awesome a character is. There's nothing especially clever about it even if executed well. It's also usually an exercise in self-seriousness and involves lots of shots of grim people pulling grim faces while posing as we bask in their supposed badassery.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

That unprotected knee to the helmet would hurt like a motherfucker.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Of all the things to get Worf'd, absolute zero is reaching a little too far. It's not cold anymore, it's more like stop.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, that posturing at the end where someone's like "were we so especially terrible?" and the specter says "oh hey good point maybe I should destroy the world" is an especially eye-rolling sign-off. It's not exactly bad-rear end to say shades of grey are hard so kill everyone, from the soldiers down to the children and newborns in their mothers' arms. And if Heaven then acquits him that just sounds like some kind of embarrassing, adolescent pseudo-philosophy.

Badassery is hard to define, though, I suppose your mileage will vary.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, those'd basically be the same style of reference if we'd had one more page at the start showing the chin guy pissing while narration told us a bit of backstory filled with winking references to his source. Although I like explicit cameo references too, so long as it's not taken too seriously in a "they must be in the same universe time to try and Frankenstein their stories together" kind of way.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Squidster posted:

Congressman John Lewis's March is pretty much just excessive non-violence.

You should go out immediately and buy both books, because they are phenomenal. They're inspired by the protest comics he read growing up, and they tell an emotionally devastating story without melodrama or sentimentality. It's incredible stuff.

Now that's badass. And beautifully illustrated, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

How the gently caress are they detaching like that? How is he flicking his fingers so hard that the fingernail flies out hard enough to incapacitate someone? He might as well shoot them with eye-lasers at that point.

Unless it's some kind of crazy gadget they installed under his nails for some insane reason?