Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

Ki Adi Mundi doesn't get nearly enough respect as the badass Jedi he is. He certainly proves himself as awesome more than Boba Fett does.

That whole arc where he's solving a murder mystery while being poo poo on by his wives is rad. Say what you will about the EU, those comics are pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I loving love that run.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Madkal posted:

It's funny that my friends who don't read comics often love Civil War. I think when you take character no-one knows the history behind and turn them into broad characters devoid of backhistory you can appeal to a big market.

I actually think it reads pretty well as a stand-alone story. The ending still sucks, but it's a good concept, and there are a couple really awesome moments (like the part where Spider-Man turns on Tony). It's just when you consider the context of every other tie-in book, plus present and past comics history, there are so many inconsistensies and weird choices that it becomes harder to justify.

I remember really liking it also when I read it before I actually got into comics. Now I'm pretty lukewarm on it, though I don't think it's one of the worst events they've done.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Miura isn't making it easy sometimes, but man does he put out some incredible work.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

coconono posted:

is that from a FCBD issue? I don't remember that panel.

No, that's from the Point One issue.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

That is the most "white man" speech I've ever seen.

Apparently it's from Warhammer 40k, so yes, pretty much.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Tremendous Taste posted:

As someone who isn't reading that illuminati series, is it as grim and gritty as the panels would make it seem?

Not really. Things are dire, and everyone is forced to consider the hard choices, but New Avengers is not really what comes to mind when I think of the words grim and gritty. At least not yet, anyway. It doesn't go darker than something like Star Trek typically would.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I swear if they do not put that scene in a film at some point then why the gently caress do we have superhero movies to begin with?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

This is only making me want Marvel to do an Elseworlds type thing featuring the Great Society even more.

Is it bad that I'd rather see the Justice League done by Marvel than the actual Justice League at this point

Nah, I feel the same way. This arc has done a way better job of making me care about DC characters than any of the New 52 stuff I've read.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Is Elsa Bloodstone any good outside of Nextwave?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

VanSandman posted:

Where can I read up on Black Bolt and the Inhumans? They seem really cool.

The Jenkins/Lee book is one of my favourites and gives you a good summary of what the Inhumans and their society is all about, though in general their modern depictions are nowhere near as dark (the fact that they had an entire subservient slave race working for them is never brought up again).

Other good books where they play a prominent role, but aren't the sole focus are Earth X and Hickman's Fantastic Four.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Sep 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

This episode of SHIELD was really good. The show's real good. Even Skye is getting to be kind of awesome.