Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Vincent posted:

I forgot, but did they ever deal with Starbrand accidentally killing an entire town or did Hickman just went "...but then THIS". Because the last time a superhero accidentally destroyed a town, we got a lovely Mark Millar summer event.

The Marvel Universe at large didn't deal with it, but on a personal level, in Avengers World, Starbrand had to go on a mission to an underground city of the dead in Venice where he got a major mindfuck when all the spirits of his dead classmates rose up and swarmed him.

Spoiler alert: He lived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Metal Loaf posted:

Was that one of the JMS issues of "Grounded", or was that after he left?

It was indeed Grounded, so if you think that was stupid, just remember... Grounded.

Annnnnyyyway, here's some Cyclops #2 where young, time-displaced Cyclops is hanging with his space pirate dad... and fighting off the bounty hunters who are hunting his space pirate dad.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

He's a space wizard, seriously there's a whole like story line of him having just a bandage around his eyes when he lands on that tropical island. How does that work? Who the gently caress knows.

I don't want to blow your mind but Cyclops does in fact have eyelids.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

I could swear Silver Dagger once got into Doctor Strange's house by messing around with the wood on a windowframe, instead of trying to get through the window or its attendant enchantment.

Well of course it makes sense that even Doctor Strange's loving house jobs. Guy just can't catch a break.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Plus, in this case at least, it's kind of justified, because Batman's suit ain't just your everyday WayneTech knockoff Iron Man suit.

Batman and Robin 33

(I have no idea what Flash and Aquaman are supposed to be contributing, but a suit forged in the heart of the sun, the Green Lantern Central Power Battery, and supervised by Hephaestus (in the background of the Wonder Woman panel) has got to be pretty powerful)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dan Didio posted:

Final Crisis couldn't have happened, but it also has to have and I don't know if that makes perfect sense or I have a brain tumour.

It totally doesn't. But whatever, hypertime.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

Here's some Santa. I can't remember if I posted this before.

http://tytempletonart.wordpress.com/2009/12/22/a-little-pre-christmas-gift-from-ty/

Little New God. Can you outrace the Naughty List? The death that is coal lumps!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Holy poo poo :master:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

This is an awful lot of legal analysis for a story where a criminal defense attorney argues a civil case.

Hey, the Marvel Universe has 2 superhero lawyers and by god they will be used in whatever case they need to be used in, sense be damned.

Also Daredevil and She-Hulk both have the same problem regarding writing that super-scientists do, which is that fields of study simply don't matter (see geneticist Hank McCoy's jet that he built for the X-Men or Ultron, created by biophysicist Hank Pym). Scientists just do science and in the case of She-Hulk, she just does lawyering, who cares about what area of the law she's supposed to practice in.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

That's what Hank McCoy is there for.

And Bobby Drake, the hardest working CPA in superheroics.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The reason people like Batman vs. Superman fights is because, even though we know Lex Luthor is a villain, deep down we are all more like Lex than we are like Superman and we just want to see the alien get beaten by our obvious human superiority. U.S.A.! U.S.A! HUMANS! HUMANS!

Anyway, here's another fight from the same issue of Injustice.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

There's also a laughable chapter where Deathstroke goes around owning every single character he meets and being one-dimensionally badass.

Well that's not out of the ordinary for Deathstroke at all, is it? (seriously, gently caress Deathstroke, I hate that guy)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I thought it was cool :blush:

but then I haven't read enough of Miller's stuff to get burnt out on his schtick I guess.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CzarChasm posted:

Well, that's a sit-com in the making. Might as well throw in Johnny Storm, Iceman and Firestar just for that old 60's feel.

Too Many Spider-Men.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AnonSpore posted:

How is he blocking strikes from a woman who just twisted a metal pipe like it was made of aluminum foil

Actually you know what it's Batman I'm sorry for asking

It's not just Batman, it's an imaginary Batman brought to life so that means you can double down on the crazy bullshit he can do.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
A Mortal Kombat comic featuring Goro is the one place where DC's love of ripping off limbs comes off as completely appropriate and not out of place.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

He just drives it when he has to/feels like it, but even back in the 70s when Mr. Fantastic (I think) unveiled it Spider-Man was all "this is really nice but you know I can't drive right?" and that was enough to keep it from becoming a regular thing.

Yeah, IIRC its first appearance ends with Spider-Man driving the thing into the Hudson, doesn't it?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
This might take a little explanation so I'll fill in gaps as I go...

Inhuman #8: Black Bolt and Maximus have been MIA since the events of Infinity. Queen Medusa has sent out a crew to find them.

(The guy in the suit is Frank McGee, a former NYPD detective who just recently got turned into an Inhuman by the terrigen cloud. Now he has glowing eyes and the ability to shoot light blasts. He's kinda mad about the whole thing since last issue Maximus used Black Bolt as a weapon to kill his partner.)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Badass Panels Thread: Here's why your post is not in fact Badass

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KaosMachina posted:

Didn't Clor have his robot bits pulled out and became the new Thunderstrike in Dark Avengerbolts? What ever came of that?

No, he calls himself Ragnarok. Eric Masterson's kid is the new Thunderstrike. Neither one of them really ever show up because no one gives a poo poo about either of them.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The only cool/interesting part of that mini to me was when Tony Stark jacked in to NYC's power grid and fired a loving enormous unibeam that shut off the city.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

net cafe scandal posted:

How would a bomb help contain anything.

IIRC from reading the issue, Banner's idea is that the bomb basically releases anti-Terrigen stuff that cancel out the Terrigen mists. But then of course after everyone else sees that they have the predictable reaction of "gently caress no we are not letting Bruce Banner build any kind of bomb", Banner gets mad and hulks out because no one will even listen to his plan before trying to shut him down, then everybody fights.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

A voice of dissent doesn't owe anyone anything more than that and it doesn't mean someone poo poo in the punch bowl.

Try telling that to the SW thread...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

or you get this

Fantastic Four 604

Of course that came immediately after Galactus got chumped.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ronin came back! Then Blade took off the mask and went back to just being Blade.

VVV: I know what you meant. I was being facetious.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jun 9, 2015

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Wasn't he briefly mentioned all of once in one of the Arkham games? Like he didn't even get to show up, he was just a character bio you got for solving a Riddler thing

Yeah he was a bio in Asylum. Asylum namedropped a shitload of characters in the bio section because they figured "hey why not" and I guess they didn't think they'd get a sequel.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

I don't think it's badass, but Ultimate Wolverine referring to Not Superman as "one of those people" is kinda funny at least.

Yeah, no matter the quality of the actual comic, that's a good line.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

One more trivial note: the tapping sound that Reed mentions there at the end? That was Thor, trying to John Henry his way through the mountain to save them.

So did Tony just loving waste Thor?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Die Laughing posted:

I like when Punisher shoots the bad guys. I do not think he's a good role model for teenagers or the military. It's complicated.

This is a good and fair opinion. Punisher is not a good guy, but it is not a crime to enjoy reading the Punisher.

Anyway, let's talk about Hulks and dinosaurs. Planet Hulk #3

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Loki Agent of Asgard #15: Future Loki has decided "gently caress it", he's gonna burn it all down at the end of the multiverse, so Asgard's making it's last stand using some... unconventional weaponry.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Huh. Might have to try reading this now. I distinctly remember reading Omega Men 1 and hating it but this looks good.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

Given the proximity of the mushroom cloud, he's still going to lose all the people to radiation.

Given the smoke coming off him, he's going to lose himself to radiation.

I'm just going to assume Captain Atom was nearby to absorb all the radiation and save everyone from the residual effects.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Travis343 posted:

Nerds overanalyze made up comic-book bullshit, suck all the fun out of everything.

No film at 11 because this isn't news

No, all I want is everything in my funnybooks to make complete scientific sense while still simultaneously being fun, lighthearted, and cool. IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK SIR :goonsay:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair that would require planning and decent writing, two things the book seems to lack.

Perhaps you should read the book before making brash statements as it is in fact quite good.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Master of Kung Fu #4: Shang-Chi fights his evil dad.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

flosofl posted:

Is this one as good as the original run of Master of Kung Fu?

I haven't read the original, but this is one is just a Secret Wars mini, it's only four issues long, and it's very enjoyable. I'd highly recommend it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bloodly posted:

10 rings? Mandarin's involved?

The Ten Rings are just a school of martial art employed by Shang-Chi and Zheng Zhu (his dad). All the "kung fu" in the book is pseudo-mystical junk, like there are some mutants earlier whose powers are just explained as them trying to master crazy "techniques" that went horribly wrong.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 15, 2015

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nilbop posted:

Someone's been watching Sozen's Comet recently.

Yeah but that dude is fuckin' dead.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Here's Uncle Ben chopping off Flash Thompson's balls after hearing him call Peter a "pipsqueak"

From What If Spider-man's Uncle Ben Had Lived?

"there's a lot less to you"

Dammmmn Uncle Ben

:iceburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

thebardyspoon posted:

Bloody hell, Terry killed most of the villains that appeared in his show didn't he?

A lot of them did that classic thing where they do poo poo that leads to their own demise so that technically the hero stays innocent but yeah, a remarkable number of enemies died in his vicinity.

The one that always sticks in my memory/nightmares is the reporter who built a phasing machine to pass through walls and spy on people but ended up stuck intangible phasing down to the center of the earth.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 23, 2015