Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Wasn't the point in Universe X that there actually wasn't a choice, just a false duality?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Lionheart's reaction in a later book to Captain Britain about this bullshit is worth posting, but I can't remember what exactly it was in.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It's totally a matter of economics. Flipping the pages won't get you enough additional readers to offset the cost of the flip.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Ah yes, comics made by the wrong sort.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Gavok posted:

The Devil Who Dares ends up being a samurai, but it still works out.

When the issue came out, I remember talking to some people who didn't like the idea because of how simple it was to map. The entire concept was too fitting to be interesting. I sold them on it by explaining the curveball in it all.

"Bullseye is pretty awesome in this."
"Let me guess: he's some kind of ultimate ninja assassin."
"Nope. He's Matt Murdock, an American who's expertly skilled with a rifle."
"If he's Matt Murdock, then who's Daredevil?"
"Some blind Japanese guy."
"Huh."

That set of what-if's had the dumbest overarc instead of The Watcher just going BEHOLD and moving on, but between Daredevil Japan and What If Thor Was Herald To Galactus('s art) it was worth it.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Y'know, I'd read a book about a general contractor for villainous lairs. It's like the costume guy, you gotta have one.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

CzarChasm posted:

She was also the bride of Dracula back in the early 80's, so there's a precedent for that too

(I think it turned out to be a dream, but that's almost as good)

Nah she straight got Dracula'd. It came out like a year after the Doom/Arcade story so it wasn't even a precedent setting evil ruler falling for Storm moment.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Wasn't the Swamp Thing tie in to INVASION! the Pogo alien issue?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

prefect posted:

Why is Mister Mustache complaining about Mister Hat's lack of chips when he's just said what he is going to wager? :confused:

At the risk of running right into the joke, it's right to left.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I also fear the influence of the perfidious oriental on the Badass Panels thread here on Something Awful Dot Com

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Lurdiak posted:

And people say 3rd edition isn't busted.

That's the "Marvel wants to kill the X-Men books to spite Fox" of Tabletop Gaming.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Just a reminder The Best Batman Elseworld The Batman Of Arkham is literally about Batman capturing criminals and taking them to Arkham so that cutting edge psychologist Bruce Wayne gives them the care and treatment they need to reenter society.

Killer Croc is his buddy. It loving ruled.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It's amazing how satisfying those pages are when without context they're pointless nonsense.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Nothing like being stuck with a prison library to get a smart guy a minor in classic English lit, honestly.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Uthor posted:

But easy enough for Martha to sew!

The cloth operates on Holtzman Effect rules. Turns the fast bullet, admits the slow needle.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The very first Conan story ever published is him discussing how hard it is to rule a country and the fact he can't just bisect a motherfucker starting poo poo like the old days.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was a What-If where Swordsman gets effortlessly vaporized by Galactus and that causes Hercules to go berserk and go at him.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I too hate the perfidious celestial's comic arts

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yes. It's a standard Zany Deadpool Joke but I actually love he is and has been a notary. Like, Solo or whoever rings him up to stamp a contract every so often.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

KaosMachina posted:

So while we're talking about how inaccurate the comics are to the original mythic eddas why isn't anyone complaining about Odin making a murderbot

Odin making a murder machine to circumvent fate only for it to fail miserably is totally in keeping with the eddas.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
True, but at the time Killgrave was hopped up on power blockers.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I 100% believe that Trump has thrown someone off a bridge and we've simply never heard about it.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Thanks for establishing your superior taste and rejection of the comics of the perfidious oriental.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Maybe you should.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Lurdiak posted:

You can do that if you want.

I don't have a weird performative hate of media from a specific country so I think I'm fine.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Proteus Jones posted:

:lol:

Yeah, it's specifically because it's from Japan. Sure thing, Chief.

When it happens so often it's a thread meme, and the only connection is the fact it's manga, it's probably not an objective judge of panel quality that's all I'm saying.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah okay sure dude.

Edit: like legitimately that was not a specific callout post to you, singular poster Lurdiak and was aimed at the same arc this thread keeps going on every time this poo poo gets posted. I don't have any grudge and wasn't trying to piss off you, specifically. I hosed that up and I'm sorry.

Mr. Maltose fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 9, 2017

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
No one is seriously doing that you gigantic dingus.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
He also has magical Captain America powers, so it's more even than it looks.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
There's a lot to love there but the FOOM glove is the cherry on top.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
My favorite part of that entire sequence is the final panel. "So Thor Died. Again. It happens a lot actually."

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Ultimate Strange was actually in....Ultimate Spider-Man, I think? Except he's completely different from the Ultimatum version, much like half of the characters that show up in Ultimatum god it's so bad in so many different ways.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Lurdiak posted:

Most of the active posters on the forum = the usual suspects.

So which director are you going to brag about watching this time you think someone called you racist?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
You really don't remember the last time this idiot conversation happened, when you thought someone called you racist and your defense was that you really really loved Kurosawa movies.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
No, it represents synths.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Lurdiak has arrived, the sacred cycle of Japanese Comics in the Badass Panels thread has been completed. See y'all in six months when we all go over this again.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
They did do that a couple times and it really never worked out.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Gologle posted:

This is honestly a really cool story idea, it's something I could expect Morrison from the 90's to do in Animal Man or Doom Patrol.

It reminds me of the issue of Joe Kelly’s Justice League Elite that had Flash running between two teams faster and faster until he literally passes himself running the opposite way.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Oh neat, looks like they’re bringing back some of the stuff from Englehart’s original Star Lord story? I’ll have to check that out then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
That’s not who Ironheart is, dog. Cmon.