Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Bown posted:

loving hell that's just terrible.

But you don't get it my cheesecake character is -different than the others-

because......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

prefect posted:

I think it's during Morrison's run, but there's an issue where she seems genuinely depressed that she's crazy-in-love with this guy (which is something she never does), and he can't stop pining over his dead/alive/genocidal/dead/alive/etc girlfriend. I thought it was really well-done.

She's also frustrated because she's got top-notch education and plastic surgery and is perfect in every way possible. It's nice that even when she's being genuinely romantic, she's still Emma.

Weird tangent: has her accent ever been established? Sometimes I get the impression that she does an English accent, sometimes it's just upper-class rich American.

Nah that was in astonishing X-men too.

She is really, really hard to like in that comic.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

OldTennisCourt posted:

It's literally one panel, and Ms. Marvel is an amazing book.

Yeah but its a really dumb panel that people are way to over defensive about.

Hell he doesn't even say he won't read it because of it. But people got to be big ol babies.

Senor Candle posted:

Whatever dude. Have fun missing out on a great book cause you can't handle a meme.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

And if I remember right, literally one issue after Morrison's run finished, this was retconned :sigh:

I loved Morrison's X-Men run, if only for bringing in such a varied cast of weird/ugly/strange mutants to mingle in with the usual supermodels.

Wasn't Mags presumed dead before Morrison's run as well?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Well yeah but I could have sworn that before his run was another one of Mags' totally final death you guys things.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 22, 2014

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Opopanax posted:

Is that Osborn? Because if it is I don't think shooting him in the head's going to do any good

Yeah he was shot in the face with a rifle the second to last time he died, so good luck with that JJJ.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

To be fair, most villains could be solved by a bullet putting them down.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

He does. One of the first thing he does is kill Ock.

Sorry. Ultimate Spider-Man is still really good, though!

He actually comes back three separate times.

Dead means dead indeed.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Puntification posted:

Kinda lovely really is odin's entire characterisation both in comics and mythology.

That is the characterization of every god.

People were weird in what they wanted from a deity.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

jng2058 posted:

Comics that DC sometimes put out that bend or break the setting so they aren't "real". There's one where baby Superman landed in Soviet Russia and helps the Russians conquer the world. That sort of thing. The Marvel equivalent are "What If?" books. I don't know if DC's done an Elseworlds book since they rebooted into the New 52, so it may be a dead concept now.

He is making a joke that that is how Batman is already.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

To be fair Batman is pretty bullshit.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Gwen and origin characters aren't coming back they are to important as dead.

Bucky is the only important dead character to come back to life and that is because no one gives a gently caress about Captain America.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Bad cap literally only calls good cap a commie, its not exactly subtle with what it is trying to accomplish.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I am honestly not sure what you all are expecting?

Duh you need context to understand things, pages are not meant to be standalone.

Though that particular one is so unsublte that it works fine by itself.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I don't get it.

It seems to be mostly a set up page.

That face is pretty hilarious tho.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Gavok posted:

For the last bunch of months, Thor has been unable to wield Mjolnir because for reasons never yet explained, he's unworthy. He recently stole the hammer from an evil alternate reality Thor named Thorr whose hammer can only be lifted by the unworthy.

So he's about to go headlong into a battle he knows he cannot win and suddenly he can't lift the hammer of the unworthy.

That makes much more sense then.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

Outside of Blackbolt, Medusa, Lockjaw, and very arguably Crystal no one knows (or cares) about any of the Inhumans at all. It's something Marvel has been working on since they made the decision to have Inhumans replace Mutants in the mainline books but I have no idea how successful they've been.

That said look up series involving Inhumans in the last few years as that'll be most indicative of what you can expect for the future. The current Ms. Marvel book also stars a young girl who is technically an Inhuman.

Its been relatively unsuccessful, but that is because Marvel has been shockingly incompetent so far with them.

Like there are delays and such that just kill any momentum they are trying to build.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Deadpool posted:

There were delays during the first few issues because of Joe Mad's art, but the series has been consistently on time since then even double shipping some months. And it's a really good book. The Inhumans are great and I'm glad someone is finally doing something with them.

Yeah and it effectively killed any hype going for them. Which was the point.

I don't give a poo poo whether the book is good or not (I can't get into lovely Mutant knockoffs), I just find it interesting for a franchise they want to push they have done a really, really poor job.

mind the walrus posted:

My guess is that Marvel is trying to find a marketing sweet spot like they did with Guardians but the original roster doesn't support that at all (they were always designed to be supporting players) and they're hesitant to wipe the board clean and create a whole new lineup, especially since all the anchors (Blackbolt, Medusa, Lockjaw, and Crystal) seem like they should work with relatively minor tweaks.

Nah the main issue was they put a known flaky artist on the book, and I think some writer quarrels. Easy to predict poo poo they somehow didn't see coming.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 4, 2015

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

So Top Ten is like the Shield?

A series about horribly corrupt cops who do what they please?

I hope they at least get their just desserts eventually.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

minimalist posted:

Moore wanted to do a TV police drama that, while set in an absurdly hyperexaggerated superhero city, nonetheless hewed to real world rules and stayed true to human nature

so no, of course they don't

Well that is kind of boring.

Shame.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I don't think he is recognizing a distinction because there doesn't really seem to be one. In both cases the decision is still the person doing the act, so it just seems like the only reason a distinction exists, is because you want one.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I like Bendis' moonknight run because of how transparently it tried to piggyback off Wolverine and Spider-mans popularity without them even appearing in the books.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Hill was pretty badass shame cap ruined it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

To be fair wicked doesn't lack empathy, she is just a sadist who understands its not okay to be one.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Jim doesn't have that silly rule.

He........he's a cop.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

To be fair that would require planning and decent writing, two things the book seems to lack.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Alacron posted:

Yeah, Batman specifically uses batarangs as a non-lethal alternative to guns, so making a gun that shoots lethal batarangs is just kinda... why?

Because some people really miss the 90's.

Got to be Extreme!!!!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I do like the call back to silver age dickery in those panels..

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

To be fair the punisher is just batman but more extreme!!!!!!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Spider man runs out of fluid every 5 minutes so planning isn't his thing

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Mine iswhen he fought the super zombies. Because even in a story with zombies, he is still the worst character,

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Calaveron posted:

I can never read any of Darth Vader's dialogue in Darth Vader's voice. It just doesn't sound like something he'd say, at least to me.

It's pretty terrible dialogue yeah. But the whole thing just reads like sad Vader fanfic. Like the prequels

The new EU is basically just the old EU with a bit of paint so this isn't surprising.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

No, don't they are basically EU comics with a marvel brand.

They bank on pure nostalgia, nothing more.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I am not a hardcore fan or anything my main problem is the new comics seem to be repeating the exact issues of the EU and to a lesser extent the prequels.

While also giving us nothing interesting to do anything with. The only real appeal these comics seem to have are "I remember this" which does not appeal to me at all.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

You also don't need to accuse him, he just does. If he had any interest in indie comics he could write the next Walking Dead

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Why?

No, honestly. Why post that? Why not just say "huh, that's really not my thing, guess I'll take that book off my 'might read' list"? What makes you feel like everyone needs to know you're not interested? I mean, I could understand it if you were actually saying something that could provoke, you know, discussion - "I dislike that and here's why," something along those lines, but you don't seem to actually do that, and I genuinely don't understand what you get out of the experience.

This isn't the thread for that don't be so defensive.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

His name is Daimyo? Little on the nose don't ya think?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Gavok posted:

Never stopped Kingpin.

His name isn't kingpin, he just is terrible at nicknames :colbert:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Gorilla Salad posted:

My other favourite Pym/Richards moment:

This is a much better way of showing Reeds inherent dickishness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Cabbit posted:

At the same time, "You're better than me at an area of science" is incredibly high praise coming from Reed loving Richards.

Yeah that is what makes it great, Reed honestly means it as a compliment.