Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Toadstrieb posted:

gonna need a source on this one please, chief

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/snl-digital-short-the-curse/n12690?snl=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I'm normally not one to gush about "bad rear end" characters' ultra violent fight scenes, but I really do admire that Moon Knight scene posted. It's got an understated efficiency to its panels you just often don't see in those kinds of scenes. Like, every panel shows you exactly as much of the action as you need to see to follow it. It's a small thing, but something a lot of creators misstep in their layouts, and screw with their own pacing.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Thor has had some low points over the years, but maaan, when writers remember he's a god and treat him like it, nobody, and I mean nobody out badasses him in the entire MU.

My favorite Thor moment is at the end of the Godzilla series, where he and Big G have a battle of strength, with Godzilla trying to push over the Empire State Building, and Thor holding it up from the other side, alone--and Godzilla is the one to flinch.

Though that moment is a close second to earlier in the series when Hercules manages to throw Godzilla. When Godzilla's foot alone is ten times his size.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Man, what the hell was Beyonder thinking bring Galactus to Battleworld? A. He's not an Earth "villain" or whatever that is the point of the whole contest, and B. He's a drat multi-cosmic entity, the Beyonder knows drat well what he is!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Nessus posted:

What was the Beyonder's goal there, even? I mean if he just wanted to see some sick fights, Galactus is a good backstop and presumably he would be mollified if the Beyonder was like 'yo, free planet.'

It was less that Galactus was angry, more that he was taken to this strange planet to fight guys and he's all "hey free planet" and promptly ignores the supers and starts setting to work slowly eating the planet. With the Supers still on it. It's been awhile, but iirc, he at the time was waiting for his ship to find him (it didn't take that long to track him down) which I'm pretty sure is just his portable closet full of the serious planet energy eating technology. Ultron was basically his piece of bread and butter before his dinner was ready for his table.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I want to like Ennis, I really do. But he just so often ends up feeling like the little kid proud of himself for writing a naughty word on the blackboard, and it just gets tiring.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

zoux posted:

Not me, because I, in fact, did that.

*does the secret handshake* Man, we are in the raddest club on the planet!!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

is...is Tippytoe going to be okay? :ohdear:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Did they use the infamous tranq'd bear falling out of a tree into a trampoline for reference of the falling bear here? Because it sure looks like it.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Professor Wayne posted:

Spectacular Spider-Man did that pretty well, too. He's his normal, quippy self in all their previous fights. But when Spidey fights the Sinister Six in in his symbiote suit, he doesn't say a word.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dPBkEec-88

Which Doc Ock picks up on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kPiNzicKqk&t=42s

It was a good show.

I got my son for the summer this week. Because it's on Comcast's VOD service we shotgunned through both seasons of this the last couple days. It really is quite good.

Also however, one of its lower points has it do the scene in issue 33 above and completely no sell it. Like he's trapped under the machine for like 2 minutes before seeing unconscious Gwen, and pushing off a nondescript machine the size of a trailer home with no real fanfare.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

X-O posted:

Less talky talk, more badass panels.

Magneto was Right.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, having read both, Half Century War is FAR better. I'd go so far as to say it might be the best Godzilla story ever. It's only problem is it's too short. There's so many stories in between the issues.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Still my favorite use of the catchphrase. :black101:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

C. Everett Koop posted:

What was it good for?

Absolutely nothing.

Say it again!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Plus he's got one of those "been around forever, but nobody remembers him until now/has been kept secret" story deals that is just asking to be hated by the fans.

Also regarding the motion lines, in my head he's already swinging a left hook to follow up that right uppercut.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Someone post Will Eisner's "Jack Kirby vs The Mob" story, please. Today deserves it.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Sentinel Red posted:

So don’t leave us hanging, buddy - was it the big guy the arrow was pointing at? Gonna be disappointed if not.

Yes. He has the power to turn into a for real mountain. Nobody likes him anyways, but in the end to save his teammates, he turns into a mountain harder than he ever has before, and it's permanent. Reminds me of the guy that turned into the base for the Legion of Super Heroes. This comic is an amazing jab straight at X-Force when it was starting to get popular.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

This is from about a decade ago so the whole DC Universe has probably been rebooted like 5-6 times by now.

Yeah apparently there was a story arc around 2003 when a fire powered lady somehow got J'onn to accidentally revert back to a primal Martian from before they were split into white and green, which meant apparently he was a fire based creature (alongside all his other powers) called "Fernus". He went bonkers and it took Plastic Man to defeat him, due to the shape-changing and his innate resistance to psychic ability. Afterwards, he told Supes that he was now only vulnerable to "The fires of passion" :flame::fh:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

X-O posted:

Black Bolt #6

Black Bolt and his ragtag crew are finally facing off against the force that's holding them in jail. They've been endlessly tortured, killed, resurrected, and tortured again many times. This is their last chance to get out. But even the overwhelming power of Black Bolt seems to be falling short. Crusher has an idea though, one that won't end well for him.

God I love when people remember that Absorbing Man has cosmic levels of potential in his powerset. :allears:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

purple death ray posted:

I don't think that was the original thread title

Proud to say the title was my idea.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I kinda hope that stealing the glove scene happens in the movie.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

It ends with the Fantastic Four showing up and saying,"Sorry we've been gone for the last two decades, Reed was working on a plan" and then they pull out the Ultimate Nullifier.

Post credits sequence is a big party on Earth celebrating the return of the Fantastic Four, watched in Latveria by Doom who decides it's time to make a return to public life.

This would be so friggin epic. Too bad the Disney-Fox talks stalled out.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I love how up until the last panel there, Annihilus is just standing around all "oh I just gotta see how this plays out"

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Apropos, she's totally giving him "The Johnson Treatment".

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

AnonSpore posted:

Glad to see that over 250 pages in we're still observing the thread title :black101:

Suggesting it was probably the best thing I've ever done for these forums. :black101:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I love how if you look close, that blade is definitely drawn there the whole time. It's so unobtrusive though you completely overlook it the first time you read the sequence.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I never get tired of the DC version of Hell. Never.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

David D. Davidson posted:

Unless you're Chaz.

The percentage still steadily increased in his case as the series went on.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I'm the massive lich fighting the chainsaw-poleaxe monks near bob's choices.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

It's me, I'm mad on the internet.

Well yeah but that's just your gimmick.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

KaosMachina posted:

And that, while adorable, is not a face that translates onto a human face very well at all.

I would direct you to Norman Fell's appearances on Three's Company.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Well at least none now that he's Juggerknocked out.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Now someone post Will Eisner's story of Jack vs the Mob. I never get tired of hearing the "Jack Kirby had bigger balls than anyone" stories. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Seldom Posts posted:

Somewhere along the line he got rid of the demon and got garden variety super-toughness and strength that kept him short, I believe.

Reading his entry on the marvel wikia fandom page is quite a roller coaster of height changing