Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

Or when Cap refused to support it, and was attacked for professing his opinion.

Before it was even law, mind you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Good going taking a bullet for the person who makes force fields, Reed.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

AnonSpore posted:

It's morbid but funny how the titular characters are charred husks in the middle of a nuclear wasteland and at the bottom is DC COMICS PROUDLY PRESENTS.

The New 52 summed up in one post.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Magneto #2

Moon Knight #2

I'm really, really enjoying these books.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That is just loving amazing. :allears:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Zero_Tactility posted:

JET JAGUAR, gently caress YEAH!

I never get tired of how very, very goofy Jet Jaguar looks. Tokusatsu movies and shows are full of goofy stuff, but Jet Jaguar is a gem.

They are a very blatant rip off of Ultraman.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

muscles like this? posted:

For some reason when he moved to LA Frank started wearing a mask.

It's really cool.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Qui Gon and Jolee Bindo are both called Gray Jedi. Jolee talks about his viewpoints on that a lot in the first KOTOR.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 28, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Say Nothing posted:

Astonishing X-Men vol.3 #3.
School was never this fun.

Invincible, I wanna say one of the early issues.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

AnonSpore posted:

I kinda find it funny that it's implied human beings as a species find huge purple horn helmets and armored kilts to be incredibly impressive.

The other depictions of Galactus there are just as goofy looking to those alien's respective cultures. That one where he's a shimmering ghost thing is hilariously corny to the Minbobulans.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I like Reed's expression of desperation, too. Valerio Schiti is really drat good at conveying emotion.

I had a mini rant before about non-Marvel default super hero concept is always Superman/DC-in-general knockoffs, but I like Sun God and the Great Society. They (A) play an awesome role in this story arc and probably won't come up again, and (B) are so explicitly the Justice League it's amazing the Distinguished Competition hasn't had words with their lawyers.

To go along with that, they represent an All Star Superman kind of Justice League. Pure, totally noble and helping, exactly the kind I like, but also all the more contrasting against the Illuminati.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 13, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I've not understood the purpose of creating a whole new team of Justice League knockoffs if you are just gonna use Doc Spectrum anyway. Could Hickman not just come up with a new GL copy?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Soylentbits posted:

Man it's weird how much more I like Superman here.

He's intentionally the most Superman possible, ala All Star, by being an embodiment of hope and heroism.

It's pretty cool :3:.

Soylentbits posted:

Too bad he's going to absorb a planet destroying bomb's worth of energy and kill himself pushing his planet into a safe location.

:smith:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Bloodly posted:

You know, it says a lot that he'd admit that at ALL.

Thor #61

Anytime Doom admits to not being perfect it's a doombot. Probably.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Has he ever been a complete irredeemable monster since the Silver Age? I always figured he was kind of like Magneto where he was pure evil for a while, then when writers stepped back and actually looked at his character they decided he was way more interesting as an okay dude.

funtax posted:

Fantastic Four (Vol 3) #67

I don't know. Doom's pretty good with skin.

That's him giving his completely innocent first love over to demons and then wearing her skin for power. Waid was to Doom what Morrison was to Magneto(who made Magneto so bad it had to be retconned into another character pretending to be him).

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
During Dark Reign, Doom had a fantasy sequence where he killed off the rest of the Cabal, except for Loki(girl form at the time) and Emma Frost, whom were chained Leia-style to his throne. Dude's a jerk and in it for himself, he's just not pure Red Skull evil.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

He's not evil, he's just being pragmatic.

Tony is Renegade, Cap is Paragon.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

CzarChasm posted:

So is Hyperion more Superman or less Superman than the stand in that's going up against the Illuminati right now?

It's so hard for me to keep these store brand Supermen apart.

In one issue of Hickman's Avengers, the High Evolutionary called Hyperion "Sun God", so they probably have the same amount of superwatts(stand unit of measuring Supermanness).

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I want to post panels from the latest Moon Knight, but every bit of it is so good I can't possibly pick just one. Every single page is so awesome.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Captain Bravo posted:

:justpost:

No, seriously, post!

I forced myself to pick just one sequence and it was excruciatingly hard, especially because the ending scene right after is even better, but so Punisher-on-a-bad-day brutal it just seems cruel out of context.

Senor Candle posted:

It's literally every single page of the book.

Yeah, I really wasn't being hyperbolic.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Welp! Now I need to pick up Moon Knight on payday!

I'm really glad to have helped you make the best comics related decision anyone can make this year.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Bakanogami posted:

How do you even burn things on Mars, doesn't the atmosphere have like no oxygen?

Heck, I always thought that was why MM was vulnerable to fire, they'd never evolved a defense against it.

Earth has always had fire and humans haven't exactly evolved a defense against it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

He's already pretty much back to being a villain in his own book. Or at least a super dark anti-hero.

He's still only killed people that deserve it(IIRC)so he's still not a villain again yet, to me. We just need a Magneto/Punisher crossover.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SirDan3k posted:

Meh kinda ignores the whole psychology of She-Hulk where Jennifer doesn't un-hulk often because Shulkie is her ideal self-image except green because Hulk.

She's just became a lot more self confidant since then.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Between the nipple rings and cheese doodle express it's hard to take that seriously.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
In fact, why didn't he just 'port some grenades in there to begin with? Why did he attack a guy who's super power is being durable with flimsy rapiers at all, and if he was going to do that, why not teleport in and then start cutting up?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

redbackground posted:

I'm not sure why you would in the first place.

If it's a parody, it's not a great one, but without any further context, the dramatic, unexaggerated narration and the fact that it was posted in the Badass panels thread gives the idea it's meant to be taken as an awesome moment, but it's just goofy.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
And I'm not saying it should be highbrow art, just that elements of it clash horribly.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Endless Mike posted:

I'm actually okay with this because it makes the X-gene actually make some tiny amount of sense instead of it giving laser eyes to one guy, reality altering to another, and a third is a chickenman.

The chickenman saved the multiverse, I think that one worked out.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It seems like he was semi bluffing from the way he drops to the ground in the last panel, but it's even worse that he was able to willpower through it for even two panels when Galactus would be knocked cold right away.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
For anyone unsatisfied with that Superman-Joker scene, I think this is the definitive "gently caress the Joker" moment in the history of the character.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

IndenturedHobo posted:

While the nigh fetishistic gore is unnecessary , I actually think this could have been a pretty great story. I think a more metaphorical death of Superman would have been a lot better story-wise than a fake-death-coma ended up.

Superman's metaphorical death and rebirth was the plot of Kingdom Come.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

redstormpopcorn posted:

They could be a Marvelfied distortion of valkyries?

Marvel actually has Valkyries though, including one literally called Valkyrie. She's a Defender.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

CzarChasm posted:

2) Isn't it upside down? Doesn't the writing only appear correct if you are holding the business end up?

If the writing is meant for people who discover the hammer, it's almost always going to be head down like that. There's not much of a reason for the words to be there when someone is holding it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I hope the first couple of issues of the new run really sells this person as being worthy. It'd be nice to have an issue like the one between the Godbomb and Malekith arcs where Thor just does a bunch of altruistic stuff, but spread out over the entire series.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Captain Oblivious posted:

Kristoff has been taking to his "how to destroy a man with one line" lessons I see.

It's even better because right after Kristoff questions Doom's decision in refusing. Kristoff didn't agree and still just flowed right into burning the hell out of Namor.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Drakyn posted:

To be even more fair to the Vulture, he's basically the Falcon with super strength and no morals. Alternatively, he's a Goblin with better air control, no gadgets, and less crazy. Maybe it's because all my Vulture exposure is from the 80s runs you guys were talking about, but I don't see what makes the guy any less dangerous than a lot of other Spider-Man villains, aside from 'this one looks like an old geezer.'

Hawkman syndrome. "Okay, superhero/villain can fly? What else?". Flight alone just isn't impressive and isn't an offensive power. Of course, Hawkman has super strength and that alien mace, and Vulture can (apparently, I know next to nothing about the Vulture) shoot bladed wings and also has super strength.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dammit Who? posted:

Presumably he's a ruling prince of a sovereign principality. There used to be a million of 'em, but nowadays I think there's only Monaco and Liechtenstein. I don't remember whether the various emirates are equivalent, but possibly them too.

Don't forget the most famous principality-Zeon. :japan:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It's not really badass to just be immune to stuff. If all Thor attacking me did was twist their hands apart, I could mouth off to them too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The best "superheroes, sigh" story I've ever read was Black Summer, which is also one of my favorite comics ever, period. Sometime I really need to read No Hero too.