Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lars Blitzer posted:

Actually, no. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registration_acts_%28comics%29#1993_Canadian_Super-powers_Registration_Act

Whoops, I got a couple of the details wrong. 1993 not '95, and there's some debate about whether it's been repealed by Parliament (Brevoort says it must have been at some point, while Oeming's Omega Flight's characters mention the registration act going on for years, without stuff like being hunted down and the "42" super prison.) So I'd imagine it's more like "Sure, you can fire blasts from your hands or control small mammals with your mind, but if you want to actually do something with that power get a license. If you don't we'll write you a ticket, and I'll shake my finger at you very sternly.":canada:

As opposed to the American version, where a squad of heavily-armed soldiers assaulted the house Luke Cage was in at midnight the day the registration act went into action.

(We are the dumbest country.)

prefect fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Yvonmukluk posted:

I say mightygodking's edit of the whole storyline is the real canon. :colbert:

Also yes. If you want to know where to get a good burrito, you go to Doctor Strange.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Monaghan posted:

I've loved iron man since I was a kid, but good god was civil war a depressing time to be a fan. Every writer just wanted to poo poo all over him.

Same here. Civil War pretty much cured my Iron Man fandom.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Time to post Spider-Man getting some kick-rear end time? Time for some Secret Wars.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

muscles like this? posted:

So, uh, they're dead?

He looks mostly intact, so I'm sure he'll come around after a little sunshine. Not so sure about her.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Thanos is so powerful he switched their titles. :monocle:

:)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ManiacClown posted:

More excessive violence, here from G.I. Joe v1 #120, wherein Destro straight-up explodes a ninja.

Did Destro's head get upgraded from silver to gold at some point?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Couldn't Magneto just fire metal-form Colossus into the next hemisphere? He can't force gravity to hold him down, no matter how hard he tries.

And you'd have expected Ultimate Magneto to debone Ultimate Wolverine by now, wouldn't you?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

The role of Iron Man will be played by Nextwave's Aaron Stack. :allears:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Endless Mike posted:

Well, you see, the Space Marines dress in cool robot armor...

People love badasses and villains. This isn't new.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

AnonSpore posted:

Ambition and dreams as defined by hella white people, yeah

Better than noble-savage blue people.

(I haven't actually seen Avatar -- I'm just guessing. :shobon:)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

7c Nickel posted:

QUESTION: Are you more badass than a 16 year old schoolgirl in a maid outfit?

ANSWER: NO. NO YOU ARE NOT.

This guy is more badass:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Say Nothing posted:

Astonishing X-Men vol.3 #3.
School was never this fun.

My favorite part is that the green kid looks incredibly stoned. (I'm sure he's a good kid who would never do drugs and it's just his mutation that makes his eyes look like that.)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

How do you manage to NOT fire in a straight line when the beams come out of your eyes?

Attention deficit disorder?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

jsoh posted:

Did deadpool light his hand on fire to use as a torch?

He originally had regeneration to a level where he could cut off a finger and it would sproing back into existence in a few seconds. Maybe he's still got the ability to replace mass as fast as it burns.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Fumaofthelake posted:

Here's the last missing page to the Cyclops sequence. Emma's bit in the last panel sells me on their relationship more than anything else in this, or any other, run.

I think it's during Morrison's run, but there's an issue where she seems genuinely depressed that she's crazy-in-love with this guy (which is something she never does), and he can't stop pining over his dead/alive/genocidal/dead/alive/etc girlfriend. I thought it was really well-done.

She's also frustrated because she's got top-notch education and plastic surgery and is perfect in every way possible. It's nice that even when she's being genuinely romantic, she's still Emma.

Weird tangent: has her accent ever been established? Sometimes I get the impression that she does an English accent, sometimes it's just upper-class rich American.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Parahexavoctal posted:

Emma Frost has whatever accent her listener perceives as most socially impressive.

edit: to clarify, Emma Frost is perfectly willing to telepathically make people perceive that she has whatever they find most socially impressive.

Like the idea that every race sees Galactus differently? I like it.

I'm not sure I like the part about Galactus, though. It would be a shame to deprive other races of that awesome helmet.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

He would have fit right in over in the Cancerverse, with his unstoppable, uncontrolled life. (I still think "Cthulhuverse" was a better name.)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

zoux posted:

Reminder that Reed Richards is in the Illuminati.

And Namor. How many civilians must have died during his semiannual invasions of the surface world?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dolash posted:

I always thought Tony was supposed to be naively cavalier in his pre-Iron Man days, where he makes weapons because it's fun and hey, good guys need weapons to blow up bad guys so let the hippies whine about it if they want. His origin story seems to focus on opening his eyes to the reality of the weapons manufacturing industry and what his business was actually up to. Is that the right read, or does it depend on who's writing the backstory this time?

I don't know if he made weapons because it was fun, but he was definitely a playboy who was born into an industrialist family. You could make a case that he'd never had any tough problems until Wong-Chu got ahold of him.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Lobotomizing Dooms whenever they found one was the only thing I liked about the Council of Reeds.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Karanas posted:

Man it's just impossible to take Galactus seriously. He gets his rear end kicked every drat time he shows up.

You've got a point there. I'm a little bummed that he seems to be emotional and angry. I like him a lot better when he's distant and unemotional. It makes it so much more impressive when he does actually let loose. (Annihilation #6, which I'm sure is in this thread already.)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

I love it. :neckbeard:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Captain Oblivious posted:

To be fair, that dude is a robot. Walk it off. :colbert:

It looks like the High Evolutionary.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

That is one fast-acting pill.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

WickedHate posted:

Earth has always had fire and humans haven't exactly evolved a defense against it.

We also haven't evolved telepathy and shape-shifting. I haven't, at least. :smith:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Fried Chicken posted:

So straight up ripoff of Ultimates 2 when Quicksilver did the same thing

It also reminded me a bit of when Superboy-Prime got stuffed into the Speed Zone.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ashcans posted:

Did Cyke just blow Magneto's head off? That's pretty hardcore.

So the "Nn! WHUUI Oh" is coming from his headless neck? :black101:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Is that Monica Rambeau Carol's talking to? She oughtta be down there helping out; she kicks too much rear end to stay up on a boat. :colbert:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

I haven't been keeping up lately (probably for the last year :(), so I apologize if this is :thejoke:, but I get a Galactus vibe off of that gizmo.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

PoptartsNinja posted:

Isn't the Blob's power actually gravity control, and he's just really stupid?

Source may be one of those terrible Generation-X novels from the 90s (one of the times Synch was thinking about other people's powers or something)? Either that, or my brain is playing tricks on me.

I always got a kick out of this panel.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
It's been posted before, but there was a bunch of Doctor Doom talk, so I wanted to see this again.

I can't find the page where Ben crushes Victor's hands, though. :(
Edit: found it. (http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2009/08/26/a-year-of-cool-comic-book-moments-day-238/) :neckbeard:

prefect fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Aug 19, 2014

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

New Leaf posted:

Funny enough, I watched that clip on YouTube last night. I seriously don't recall The Riddler's design being like that, I remember the green suit with bowler hat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlcXA_iokPc

That was hilarous. Two things I loved about this: when Robin says "he's been workin' out" in maybe the smuggest voice possible, and when you realize that Superman was still taking it easy every time he was punching Bane. He had to be careful not to explode the guy like something out of Invincible.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Metal Loaf posted:

There's a story about how Liefeld reacted when he heard about this. His response was... to brag about how much money he'd made off Cable and Shatterstar.

Which is kinda hard to argue with, to be honest.

Actually, it's not that hard to argue with. Or to ridicule, at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF8wLg5Asgo

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Vincent posted:

Cue Motörhead.

Guy needs to shave off the goatee and go handlebar-with-muttonchops. :rock:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Boogaleeboo posted:

It's not, it's kind of a stupid, what the gently caress do angels have to do with the Norse? Why is that a thing that would ever go together? Who thought this one up?

No reason you can't mix mythologies. There was a really good Incredible Hercules storyline back in the day about various pantheons fighting each other.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Grendels Dad posted:

Also, if that Tenth Real is still positioned on the Norse world tree at least give it a wacky name like Hevenheim or something.

Okay, this is an objection I can agree with. :D

(I can also understand the objection to the "tenth realm" thing. I'm actually surprised it hasn't been done before; I would have expected multiple "tenth realms" after all these years.)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

WickedHate posted:

Marvel actually has Valkyries though, including one literally called Valkyrie. She's a Defender.

Dani Moonstar is a valkyrie, isn't she? The best use of that was during the Mutant Massacre crossover, when she saw an enormous death figure lurking over the mansion. :allears:

(I can't find a picture. Google image search has gotten weird recently.)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

zoux posted:

PYF Fastball Special:

Previous page for context.

That air swirl...

Is that the Surfer doing the pitching? He needs to be careful he doesn't shear Logan's flesh off from throwing too hard. :ohdear:

(Upon closer inspection, I see the flattop, so it's just Colossus. :sigh:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

smashpro1 posted:

For the first time ever, I am thinking about the logistics of a moon laser. Just the aiming of it. Like, you can't really use it for supervillainy while it is on the dark side, which is half of the year.

The same side of the moon is always facing the earth.

Also, there is no dark side in the moon, really. As a matter of fact it's all dark.