Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

SirDan3k posted:

That little section between new avengers and one more day where Peter was treated as a guy who had seen, done and fought everything was a really nice stint of Peter getting the respect he deserves from the hero community, A.K.A. distancing himself from readers gotta fix it!

Exactly. It was that point in the long running sitcom where the loser protagonist gets the recognition they deserve before being regressed back to their original form. Also that Punisher/Spidey scene is probably my favorite portrayal of Spidey's fighting style and how terrifying he could be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I'd crosspost that in the Good Art thread if I were you, though it is badass in its way.

I think its funny that after all the resentment and frustration with Miura's delays and storytelling, he can still shut me the gently caress up when he releases something.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Magneto should also be dead from having a giant metal man punch him with his building-lifting-muscles so it evens out.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Lotta Japanese writers have that pop up in their work. Even in stuff that has no reason to, like One Piece. Sucks.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Astonishing is probably why I like Cyclops so much.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Superman who has mind reading(sometimes controlling?), shapeshifting, and intangibility. Then again no freeze breath so that's probably why he sucks.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I'm OK with Doom being so stubborn he can beat fundamental forces of nature, but Punisher is just a man. But that's just me.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

New Scarecrow almost balanced out the travesty of New Riddler.

Tough call.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Opopanax posted:

I didn't know much about DC when I first read it and I'd say the only confusing part was Shazam. Everyone else is explained pretty well in context.

Same here. The story works with basic familiarity of the big heroes.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Best costume ever, we could all learn from such design and austere aesthetics.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I tried looking up SYMERIKA cause it sounds awesome and found nothing.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Reed Richards is an idiot

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Varies on the writer. Sometimes he thinks and lives at the speed he moves, sometimes he can be tricked into running into a sword.

As a kid I was way big into my genius comic book idea of a super speed hero who had to deal with living at the speed he was moving at, and didn't gain infinite stamina bundled with super speed. He had control over his powers, but running across America would actually feel like running across America for him even if it did take only like 5 minutes. Because of this, the more time he spent moving at super speed the older he was relative to the world.

Then I heard some kid in some Marvel comic was totally written with this gimmick and I got super bitter and never saw how they handled it.

Chinaman7000 fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 4, 2014

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

There you go, 12 year old me was a forward thinking fucker.

I remember being confused why Zoom 2 could run around the world nonstop if his only power was time manipulation, though.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I was about the complain about sound effects when I saw

Byers2142 posted:

Summers will start poo poo with anyone who even kinda attacks mutants. Anyone.

Avengers versus X-Men #1

the other day. I wish they were integrated better. I know there are some good examples but I can't think of any.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

On one hand, I think Ostrander is one of the best writers the medium has been lucky to have, and I also really liked scenes I've seen of his Spectre run in a lot of places.

But I don't think anything to do with the stories mentioned are badass or cool or even interesting. The antagonists are all strawmen and the Spectre gets away with broad stroke simple solutions that work not because they make sense but because the character threatens and is capable of genocide to get his way.

Maybe there's something I'm missing, but what message is even being conveyed there?

edit: also the Flash should totally be Quicksilver fast, not literal lightspeed fast. Thanks for listening.

Chinaman7000 fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 10, 2014

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I haven't kept up with today's comics all that well but they need to keep old Cap forever.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Probably the first time since the original cartoon as a kid that I've liked Harley Quinn. I barely remember her from the game, though, or what her involvement is in the story.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

If you cut the Silver Surfer in half would he be filled with guts, more silver, or cosmic power like Captain Atom or something?

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Duke Igthorn posted:

In superhero terms it'd be like Lex Luthor tricking some big eyed orphans into giving Superman a prop plane he'd be obligated to use so Luthor could escape easier.

I am visualizing this as a cover to a Silver Age story and love it.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I tend to hate when comic book punches and movement lack oomph, and it's probably because I read too much manga when I was younger. I remember specifically loving the sensation of power and speed in Murata's work.

The Flash should be drawn like Eyeshield 21. Superman's punches should look like Saitama's. It's not for everyone but would totally be my poo poo. Japanese artists can be really great at making it really look like normal human shaped beings are super powerful.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Not saying Western stuff needs to be anime, just that there are tricks and techniques that could (and have been by some artists) learned and adapted from the very best creators across cultures, like Murata or Oda of One Piece fame.

I am not advocating the Marvel Mangaverse ok.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Flesh Forge posted:

Where are the important things like "pooping" and "masturbation" this sounds like it is not a very good job.

Like you don't do these while on the clock. The entire time. Simultaneously.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

When I got to that page I thought it was a little too literal and obvious about excluding Cap. Still cool, though.

Edit: also kujeger is right, if you're counting the one going to BP then Caps counts too

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I don't care for Vision but those are hardcore and effective panels.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Top 10 is up they with Astro City to me as using comic book ideas and cliches in very cool ways.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

On one hand, I agree, on the other hand, "setting up strawmen to be beaten" is pretty much this entire thread.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Captain Bravo posted:

If the prophecy was specific enough to say that I was going to die in an alley, then I would stay in my loving apartment come hell or highwater.

I like the way you think, but the real solution here is to kill yourself before you could ever end up in an alley.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

It's a well known fact that superhero comics are improved by scientific research and math.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I wanted to like Planetary's creepy Reed but their twist on his powers didn't leave an impact on me. He stretches.... Into your mind!

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I'm not complaining about him as he is written and taken out in the story, just in how he falls short as an alternate Mr Fantastic. Making him a mind control guy is a stre

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

TollTheHounds posted:

I've always been a Marvel guy for some reason, I just missed the boat on DC and so have never really been able to get into any of the characters even Superman. Is it just me or is all the artwork in these latest superman panels posted extra lovely? It looks like a high school art project, not a professional comic that people pay money for.

A bunch of people are gonna post about how Frank Quitely is the best artist and you're crazy, but to sum it up I'd say it's definitely an acquired taste, but not a bad one.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I love this. The guy could convey some loving scale and power.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

What happens if the Flash is carrying Cap's shield, and runs into Cyclops' optic blast, and is on an airplane is taking off on a treadmill going the opposite direction? Also the Hulk and Juggernaut are there.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

fatherboxx posted:

He is also not a real person and his characterization frequently reflects the views of a writer on the "hard-minded men keeping us safe" rhetoric.

Wait.... So you're saying he's like a life model decoy???????? I don't follow.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Minarchist posted:

So for some reason I haven't read Berserk yet and holy loving crap it's like I couldn't even pick a page to post. A lot of it is weird magical warrior stuff but when cities get sacked and the populations burned and some ogre thing smashes a soldier's eyeball out with a few teeth flying to and fro its...something.

Berserk is nutso crazy poo poo that has generated and fueled creepos and weirdos on the internet forever. Also, it's super great and well done a lot of the time. Not sure how far you are but I remember being surprised when they finally got to the point where Guts gets his most iconic features/tools, because they escalate things even more.

edit: also everytime this page reloads and I have to see the dumb lipped ninja at the top for a split second I get mad.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Milotic posted:

Ghost Racers #1. If you need context: GHOSTS. ON FIRE. RACING. IN AN ARENA OF DEATH!
The art is gorgeous, and this brief excerpt doesn't do it justice.

This is a great use of the ridiculous ideas that build up over time in superhero comics. That's super cool even though I only vaguely know about Ghost Rider.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

prefect posted:

Whoops; my bad. :blush:

No, too late, your opinion is now sealed forever in the Internet. And you disgust me.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

How many issues Omega Men are left?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

prefect posted:

Some overlap, but whatever.

Also, the cop in question is super-Catholic.

I wonder what it feels like to write a scene like that and not smash your computer out of disgust, and instead continue to have a professional artist and publisher draw it and release it with your name on it. I wonder.