Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

gently caress yes, just as great as I remember. Thanks :)

WickedHate posted:

They also did one with the opposite premise.

And this was also cool as poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

There's another Savage Sword of Conan where he breaks into the base of some weird soothsayer and gets trapped in a death pit. The Soothsayer taunts him by saying he'll read him three fortunes from cards, two of possible fates and the third of his almost definite fate. The first two are stories of Conan doing some crazy cool poo poo but dying at the end. The Soothsayer gets to the third and laughs that he always knows what this one will be, the intruder dying in his pit. He flips it over, has a moment to look shocked and then Conan (who has of course used the time to escape) kills him.

Conan looks at the final card, shakes his head and laughs and walks away. The card falls to the ground to reveal an image of a King sitting on a throne :hellyeah:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Alacron posted:

At this point you're just trying to goad people into posting these panels for you.

Not that I mind, that sounds pretty rad. :allears:

I wish I had them to post myself! A lot of this stuff I read when I was a kid and it got me to read the Conan range of books (some by Howard, many more by the likes of L. Sprague de Camp) and it was pretty much everything a kid could ever want. The Tower of the Elephant is such a cool loving story and got me hooked immediately.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I only ever read one Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser when I was quite young (I think it was in an anthology of some sort) and I remember really enjoying it.

I must have been quite young though because I remember thinking for some reason that GM was literally a mouse and it was some kind of Secret of NIMH style story, except I couldn't figure out what animal Fafhrd was supposed to be :sweatdrop:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SonicRulez posted:

Iron Man looked pretty goofy for a lot longer than I remember.

The way he's standing makes it look like he can't bend his legs, and now I'm imagining him striding forward by having to pivot his locked legs from the hips :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

They're right you know - Dick Grayson-Batman and Damian Wayne-Robin were a fantastic team.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Hercules once staggered Galactus with a punch in a What If, which he should probably consider his 13th labor.

Wasn't Galactus drunk as gently caress at the time? So drunk he took his helmet off?

I swear that happened in a comic somewhere, I remember reading it and I'm not smart enough to make something like that up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Also they aren't lasers, they're beams of concussive force :reject:

There's an issue I love where Cyclops' deadbeat space-dad is trying to bond with him on an overnight camping trip. He asks Scott to light the campfire with his eyebeams and Scott's all,"Jesus Christ dad don't you know anything? :rolleyes:"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Galvanik posted:

The 1950s chinese Iron Fist did. In show I think the actual explanation is that Danny is just bad at his job.

Now that's an unfair representation.

He is loving terrible at his job.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Retro Futurist posted:

PYF Kirby tributes

I always felt this panel by John Romita JR from Eternals captured a pretty great Kirby feel :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ygolonac posted:

"All of them." :doom:

I got your "Doom Force" right here, yo. (Apparently from "What If Doom Kept His Power After The Original Secret Wars", or such.)

Edit: image hosting fuckup resolved

I love the one Celestial's "Oh you!" body language.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Top of the morning..... to YOU!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Push El Burrito posted:

I can see that in the cover of a silver age comic with the heroes looking straight at the readers in fear and the name of the story is "The LepraCON!"

From Steve Gerber's Defenders series.

More on-topic, here's Martian Manhunter having no time for Batman's bullshit:

From Superman/Batman #29

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Keeshhound posted:

What, did they have J'onn get over the fire thing again?

This is from about a decade ago so the whole DC Universe has probably been rebooted like 5-6 times by now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Doc Hawkins posted:

It's a panel I thought was badass. I really like Savage, or at least the idea of him. :shobon:

I've been watching the old Justice League cartoon, and the episode where Superman gets flung into the far future where Vandal Savage has wiped out all life on earth and become this zen dude who realizes he hosed up badly is really well handled.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Herr Tog posted:

context is important kids.

In that case, I'll post this since I recently read the series Berserk because it had been so highly recommended. Like an idiot I didn't realize it wasn't complete yet so now I'm stuck waiting for it to update.

Maybe these pages only work if you've read the roughly 30,000 pages that precede it but I thought it was one of the more badass moments I've read in a comic series, especially in a series like Berserk which seems primarily concerned with ultra-violence or uses graphic sex for shock value, which are the least interesting parts of the series in my view.

For context: A boy called Rickert discovers that the man he idolized did something abominably horrible, and not only got away with it but has been rewarded with near unlimited power as a result. He is forced to flee from his comfortable "retirement" in the countryside as the only safe place in the world is in the kingdom this man - Griffith - now rules as a messianic figure worshiped like a God on Earth. When he arrives in the capital city it is made very clear to him that this place is a paradise but that it is a thin veil over the absolute control Griffith holds over everybody and nobody will accept any questioning of his rule. Everybody is shown to be happy and content and that Griffith being their ruler is a good thing, all without knowledge of the horrible things he has done to set up this situation in the first place. Griffith feels no guilt for what he has done, accepts no responsibility, and does not care at all about a single person who considers him their savior.

Rickert finally meets him face-to-face for the first time since learning the truth, after having immense pressure put on him to not make any fuss or bother, and the implied threat that if he does they will punish the young girl who is under his care. He is alone, surrounded by near legendary soldiers all completely loyal to Griffith, all who are watching him intently:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Nov 15, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Herr Tog posted:

Additionally for clarification: so does rickert have Griffith surrounded or the other way around?

Oops, corrected sorry.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

That dude's art is good and interesting.

Mike Allred rules, and his style is a great choice for Silver Surfer.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It ends with the Fantastic Four showing up and saying,"Sorry we've been gone for the last two decades, Reed was working on a plan" and then they pull out the Ultimate Nullifier.

Post credits sequence is a big party on Earth celebrating the return of the Fantastic Four, watched in Latveria by Doom who decides it's time to make a return to public life.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

Then Reed pops in, flips a switch and saves the day.

I just want Reed to be looking all enthusiastically over all of Tony's stuff like a really supportive dad, all while Tony seethes because Reed doesn't even realize how casually he's treating Tony's accomplishments.

"Oh you made an AI? Me too, mine babysits the kids and cleans up the tower for us. Yours tried to commit genocide? Oh well, I'm sure you'll do better next time little buddy you just keep at it :)"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wouldn't Thanos be delighted to die?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Synthbuttrange posted:

Oh no my one weakness, rocks to the head!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Push El Burrito posted:

Wonder Woman carving bold letters into a stone.

Android Blues posted:

I can only imagine she finished, paused, and then slowly went over those words twice with her finger while this terrified dude wriggled in her grip.

I agree that Wonder Woman owns :hellyeah:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hell yeah, send his rear end back to Aunt May and slap Peter too!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Connellingus posted:

Few are as badass as Bill Sienkiewicz.

(Moon Knight Vol. 1 #9, 1981)

This is so loving good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Horrible Taste posted:

From Orion #24 by Walter Simonson:

:words:

Pfft, you expect me to read all those words?
Reads all those words
Oh my God I am so happy I read all those words :hellyeah:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Choco1980 posted:

I love how if you look close, that blade is definitely drawn there the whole time. It's so unobtrusive though you completely overlook it the first time you read the sequence.

Last panel of the first page you can see he's throwing it too (and it was established in his hand a few panels before), but the gesture also looks like he's just gesticulating as he talks. Very cool.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Is it much further, Papa Smurf?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Elfface posted:

Doc Ock did in one of the cartoons.

When Doc Ock got into Peter's body for awhile, the first time he punched somebody he took their jaw off, and he has this horrified moment when he realizes that all the years he was fighting Spidey, Spidey was holding back.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Like Defenders.

Defenders was gonna suck regardless of how many episodes it was, but even the best of the Netflix Marvel shows have felt 3-4 episodes too long.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The only thing that dwarfs Conan's hate for wizards is how much wizards hate Conan. It's loving awesome.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm pretty sure a recurring thing with Thoth-Amon is being pissed at himself that he was scrying for potential threats a couple decades earlier and saw a young barbarian teen loving off out of Cimmeria to go on adventures, and ignored it because what the gently caress could some gangly barbarian rear end in a top hat ever do to cause HIM trouble? :laugh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Those movies got a lot of things wrong about Conan's character, but his attitude to religion is not one of them.

"If you won't help me, then the hell with you, I'll do it myself!" :hellyeah:

Scaramouche posted:

Not that one, but I do believe he had a crossover with Thor and Thor died so Conan was hella pissed and started climbing Croms mountain with Thor's hammer, and also with murderous intent.

Yeah, one of my favorite What If's ever. Thor goes to see Crom who, unsurprisingly, tells him to gently caress off. Then Conan goes up there at the end of the comic with the implication that he's basically gonna kick Crom's rear end when he gets up there.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

One of my guilty pleasures is that I still think the comic where Punisher uses an unconscious Spider-Man as a human shield while fighting a giant meta-human is funny. It ends with a dazed Spider-Man waking up and asking what happened, and Frank going,"We had a team-up. You were great." :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

I seem to remember that Superman sometimes used this to get past red sun systems while travelling:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermobile

Yes, a rocket car with fists, powered by him.

Always wondered why Amazo didn't just die laughing when Supes first used it against him.

I owned this toy and loved it but it's hilarious in retrospect that I'd fly Superman through the air inside of it, then have it land, Superman get out and... fly away by himself to have an adventure, without really thinking about how redundant that was :sweatdrop: