Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Also, a page or two before that, where Superman wakes up from it. Robin's expression was basically the same as mine when I was reading this issue.

I've read the comic and seen the episode a couple times, but I just now noticed a change between the two - in the comic, the black mercy gives Bruce a fantasy of hugging his parents, simply safe. In JLU, the entire fantasy - which includes a cut away to a different scene, so I think it lasts a while n Bruce's head - is Thomas Wayne just beating on Joe Chill. Cartoon Batman's heart's desire isn't a happy life with his parents, it's seeing the guy who killed them getting the hell punched out of him :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Edit: missed a page.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Can someone post the pages of Alopex beating on the traitor foot soldiers? Or really, just the "Ssh, it's all right, you'll lose" panel.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

IndenturedHobo posted:

While the nigh fetishistic gore is unnecessary , I actually think this could have been a pretty great story. I think a more metaphorical death of Superman would have been a lot better story-wise than a fake-death-coma ended up.

Besides Kingdom Come, Death and Rebirth can easily be read as another "metaphorical death" for Superman at the hands of the 90's EXTREME era. This is why he gets replaced with more 'popular' versions - the young one, the one who kills, the bad-rear end half robot one, and...well, frankly, the token minority representative in John Henry Irons (obviously all these characters went on to do much more interesting things). Death and Rebirth just takes that metaphorical death and makes it completely literal. I read somewhere on these forums that the ability to do this completely straight is one of the more endearing things about cape books - referencing Fantomex being so self-absorbed with himself that eventually he got a female clone of himself and they hooked up.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Wapole Languray posted:

The fastest any Speedster can go is the speed of light, because once you break lightspeed a Speedster will enter the Speedforce and either go to Flashhalla, or time travel. :flashfact:

Someone post the panels where Wally literally runs faster than another being instantaneously teleports by harnessing the power of everyone on Earth, who have been instructed to run at the same time.

God I love Grant Morrison. :allears: