Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

quote:

Scarecrow releases a gas over Gotham that makes everyone think they’re Batman, and it turns out some people are very well-prepared to be Batman.

I would read this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Sharon confirmed they died

My copy of Winter Soldier is in a box, but as I recall, no she didn't. She confirmed that they were grievously injured with broken facebones and such, but didn't say anyone died.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Ygolonac posted:

Captain America V5 #1

Well, there it is. My mistake.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Opopanax posted:

Alberta's as close to the deep south as Canada gets.

I dunno, some of the little mining towns in northern Manitoba and Ontario have a lot in common with rural Kentucky.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

redbackground posted:

Between all the yers, aints, yas and everything normally ending with a -g ending with an -n, he sounds exactly like my hillbilly good ole boy plumber, down here in Appalachia.

I certainly cede that that kind of speakin' ain't soley confined to our fair lands :)

I've got friends down in Appalachia (Martin County, to be precise). The main thing I've learned from them is that rural is rural, no matter how far North or South you are.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

prefect posted:

Flash Thompson was bullying Peter Parker while being the president of a Spider-Man fan club.

They eventually became pals though, and I don't recall Thompson reversing his views on Spidey.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Ygolonac posted:

Full page:

One of a bunch of silly, mostly media-inspired, Ghost Riders seen in GR #33, from 2009. More can be seen in this post right here.

GR #34 in that run is straight-up Ghost Rider vs. Demon Trucker, but the art isn't quite as balls-out as this page. Suydam cover, but a really meh one IMO.

gently caress. That Ghost Rider run is better than we deserve. Only omnibus I ever bought.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Phy posted:

That cape as negative space :allears:

e: although it is immediately preceded by entire cartridges flying through the air :magical:

Shalvey and Bellaire love using negative space, and they're insanely good at it. They do similar things in Injection and it is balls-out awesome.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

WickedHate posted:

Man, why is everyone in the mood to scrutinize all posts on comedy forum somethingawful today.

Because it's Something Awful?

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

When you're Barry Allen, you know you're so boring that you're going to put your date to sleep. At least if you serve turkey you can blame it on the tryptophan.

But Barry's all about science and FLASH FACTS, so he probably wouldn't feel comfortable propagating the "turkey makes you drowsy" myth.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

It's the old Superman. Does it matter how he got there? Not really.

It does not. It's ridiculous and convoluted and I love everything about it.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

WickedHate posted:

But Batman isn't Batman if he isn't a shell of a human being dedicated 100% of all time to Batmanning???

Only when he's written poorly. Which is most of the time.

As Waid so excellently put it in Kingdom Come: "When you scratch everything else away from Batman, you're left with someone who doesn't want to see anybody die." The best Batman is the one who cares more about protecting the innocent than punishing the guilty.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Nah. My best guess is someone told Chuck Austen that Thunderball was actually kinda smart and college educated, unlike the rest of the wrecking crew, so he took that to mean that he was some kind of mega-genius who had memorized every book ever written.

Chuck Austen was writing in the 70s? And calling himself Len Wein?

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

It's possible I was being too sarcastic there. I don't know if Austen wrote the Shakespeare-quoting scene posted earlier, but Thunderball's origin story includes successfully designing a miniature gamma bomb. Dude's up there in the brains department.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I'm sure they read a lot of Shakespeare at whatever technical college he went to.

You can get a PhD at a technical college?

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Nevvy Z posted:

Well, now they have the internet so I wonder if that might change.

Because they can access a much larger variety of texts much more easily?

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I like to think Oppenheimer would start up a youtube channel in the style of the red hot nickel ball guy, but using uranium.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

WickedHate posted:

It wouldn't work. Kryptonite doesn't disintegrate Superman's flesh on contact, he absorbs the radiation. The bullet would bounce off of him and then he'd get mildly sick if he stood around it.

Kryptonite definitely pierces superflesh. There have been numerous examples of Superman getting shot and/or stabbed with kryptonite, so there's really no room for ambiguity. Everything from comics to cartoons to one of the worst movies ever made supports the notion of kryptonite weapons being effective against kryptonians.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

WickedHate posted:

I know arguing comic book science is the ultimate :goonsay:, but I'm just putting it out there. Similarly, Cyclops' optic blasts don't burn.

It's not about "comic science," that's just a cop-out. It's about what actually happens every time someone shoots or stabs Superman with kryptonite. It goes through him, every single time. That's how kryptonite works in DC-land.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

WickedHate posted:

It's still dumb. :colbert:

If that's too dumb for you, you should probably find a different hobby.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

WickedHate posted:

What are geeks if not a miserable little pile of complaints and self loathing.

That's not fair. We're also condescending and masturbatory.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Okay, look, they are made of a special fabric that, when it comes in contact with Superman's bioelectric field, takes on the properties and durability of Superman himself. Outside of that field they are indistinguishable from regular cloth and since the cape regularly is outside of that field it tears much easier.

:colbert:

(actually I'm pretty sure that has been a canon excuse at some point.)

This, only it wasn't a special fabric, it was just anything tight enough to be within like a millimetre of his skin.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Kind of hard to verify, since her power provides clothes. Is she actually naked, and the clothes are part of her skin? Can she take off a hat she acquired via shapeshifting? These are the biggest questions in comics.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

It's implied.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

WickedHate posted:

JMS made a point of writing Iron Man as The Bad Guy in his Spider-Man run, but he didn't write the main Civil War series which included the Thor clone. Yes, there was a lack of good writing and cohesion across the board, but even if you wiped away all the tie ins, Tony Stark as depicted in Civil War was an rear end in a top hat and it's not on JMS to write a redemption arc for him in his Thor run, nor to have Thor laugh what happened off.

Yeah, regardless of inconsistent writing between tie-ins and the general shittiness of Civil War, if there's one person who has every reason to loving hate Tony after CW, it's Thor.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Scaramouche posted:

Except don't bother with anything that ends with "...of kings"

Ehhhh, War of Kings was okay, it just pales in comparison to Annihilation and Conquest. But then, most things do.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jf9wU3YmnI

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Avulsion posted:

Killing is just un-American.

Have you met America?

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Choco1980 posted:

I'm normally not one to gush about "bad rear end" characters' ultra violent fight scenes, but I really do admire that Moon Knight scene posted. It's got an understated efficiency to its panels you just often don't see in those kinds of scenes. Like, every panel shows you exactly as much of the action as you need to see to follow it. It's a small thing, but something a lot of creators misstep in their layouts, and screw with their own pacing.

Ellis + Shalvey + Bellaire = drat Good Comics.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

How the gently caress do you pronounce 'you' then? 'Your' sounds like the letter U with an r sound. Yore is like 'yo' with an r.

I have never heard anyone pronounce the U in "your," in any context, regardless of accent. It sounds identical to "yore."

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

HE STOOD ALONE AT GJALLERBRU

site posted:

You mean the Hydra assassin guy

in the meta context yeah we know bucky becomes the winter soldier as a good guy and Steve is right but within the story Steve went off the reservation to save a multiple murderer and assaults dozens of policemen while doing it, yeah in that context the dude is a criminal Rhodes isn't wrong

That argument would hold water if there were more evidence than a grainy photo that kinda-sorta looked like Bucky but didn't even show his whole face. It was pretty explicitly stated that there was no intention of taking Bucky alive or anything else resembling due process.

I definitely don't agree that Rhodes was the "nicest" in the pro-reg camp. He certainly wasn't the most reasonable since he never stated any rationale for supporting the accords other than "the government says so." Everyone else had actual reasons; Tony was driven mainly by guilt and a desire for the accountability he couldn't provide on his own, Vision had chaos theory, and Natasha saw it as a way of earning back public trust. Meanwhile Rhodey's only argument for the Accords was a textbook appeal to authority. I wouldn't call that out of character for someone whose identity is based largely on his place in the military, but it's still not sound reasoning.

haitfais fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 25, 2017

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

site posted:

well yes but cap still went against law enforcement to aid an alleged multiple murderer and actively beat them up which as far as i know are still things against the law?

Fixed for accuracy. Bucky was never convicted, tried, or even charged with any murders. As viewers, we know he killed people (while brainwashed and not in control of his own actions,) and Cap and Black Widow know it. There is obviously some documented evidence in the leaked SHIELD files, but it's just as obvious that that evidence shows that Bucky is not responsible for the Winter Soldier's killings since the only verified information (as found by Zemo,) is the dossier presumably titled "How We Brainwashed a War Hero and Forced Him to Kill People."

And, again, the evidence for Bucky's involvement in the UN bombing consists of a single grainy photo. That may justify bringing him in for questioning, but it sure as poo poo doesn't justify sending a kill squad. In fact, I'm pretty sure killing a suspect without trial based on flimsy evidence is against the law in most developed countries. It's definitely against the law in the country that Rogers and Rhodes come from. So while Rhodes may argue that Cap is a criminal for his actions (or not, since he never actually makes any arguments in the film,) Cap could argue that he was protecting an innocent man from an unlawful extrajudicial killing.

quote:

and this is why im okay with rhodes going along with the accords because of course the guy whos so down for his military that he jacks his friends death machine for their use is gonna back his govt in this situation, i didn't see anything out of the ordinary with him doing so. but i also dont really see how that doesnt make him the nicest. tony pretty much started the thing and tried to dictate and hosed everything up and vision actively was complicit in kidnapping (which tony mandated) and totally wrecked poo poo at the airport even though he didnt have to and after paralyzing rhodey he just goes lol told you so....tbh i dont really consider natasha on proreg cuz of how thing played out but if you do yeah i guess i would say she was least bad

Inflexible thinking, accusing a colleague of "playing both sides" because he expressed a dissenting opinion, and yes, calling Cap a criminal for preventing the murder of his best friend. He may have understandable reasons for all of those things, but they're still not hallmarks of the "nicest" anything. I would say in terms of relative niceness from the pro-reg camp it goes Romanoff > Stark > Vision > Rhodes.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Shovelmint posted:

Went to the library today. First thing in the graphic novel section, the start of Aaron's 2014 run on Thor. Have to grab the rest off Hoopla or something, but I've been inspired. I had no idea that Jason Aaron was doing anything other than Southern Bastards, though I should've known.

You are at the beginning of a wonderful journey. First things first: Jason Aaron's run on Thor began in 2012 with God of Thunder. The 2014-onward stuff is perfectly enjoyable without it, but as the title of this very thread will tell you, you'll be missing out hard if you skip God of Thunder. Seriously some of the best comics ever. Be sure to also pick up his runs on Ghost Rider and Wolverine and the X-Men.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Wait, so what's the story with Beyonders and Nextwave?

This is best answered by rephrasing the original statement.

wiegieman posted:

The best Beyonder retcon is that the writers and publisher were just loving with everybody, like they were with Nextwave.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

DC went through a "ripping people's arms off" phase, which started sometime around Infinite Crisis (I think,) and might still be ongoing for all I know.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Herr Tog posted:

what wrong with Beasts(?) face?

Depending on who you ask, either bad art or quirky stylised art.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Herr Tog posted:

and who is the person in glasses behind marvel? I feel ooold

Spider-Woman.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

It's a pretty recent change, within the last two years I think. Someone got the crazy idea that a superpowered world-saving superspy might favour a slightly more practical costume than sexy body paint.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Also that, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

ruddiger posted:

Did he end up using his arm as a club?

That's literally Arm-Fall-Off Boy's entire thing.