Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

"I died before. It was boring, so I stood up"
It's such a comic book sentence and I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Soonmot posted:

It really is great. Give it a few years, DC will might not be as lovely as it is now and you can read whatever wasn't poo poo in trades.

Not buying/consuming poo poo you don't like is a really good tip for general life as well.

To the people buying comics that they don't like, can you explain to me why?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

Bloodhound: Crowbar Medicine #5

For context Travis Clevinger is an ex-cop, current convict on a work release program with the FBI tracking down people with superpowers. In this series a scientist has been offering to implant people with a device that will give them superpowers, they tracked him down to his base of operations only to discover he had implanted himself with some kind of Green Lantern construct ability and a healing factor. They were then captured so he could explain his plant to rouse the population against superpowered individuals by showing it inevitably corrupted them and led to tragedy and loss of life. This is when Travis gets free and traumatises the entire room.

I could post most of what he gets up to in Bloodhound since he takes a licking but keeps on ticking.
Soooo a black man gets beaten to death with a crowbar by a skin-head look-alike cop for offering people superpowers. Is Travis supposed to be perceived as the hero of the story?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Gavok posted:

Now that I think of it, I don't recall ever seeing Mojo show up in a single What If issue.

Does the female Mojo (the teacher from the hellfire academy) in Wolverine and the X-men count?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

From Daredevil - Road Warrior (digital comic) #2
Context: Daredevil jumps on to the roof of a car being driven by a man he's chasing. Suddenly 3 guys on motorcycles appear and start shooting them.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I'm generally not a fan of Grant Morrison's "BatGod" take on Batman, but this was a standout moment in Batman R.I.P.:

Inconceivable!

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Soylentbits posted:

That was actually a mistranslation. Sexism on the other hand...

How do you mistranslate Ussop's big ol' lips?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

Wait so people having big lips is racist? I thought people were talking about that one part in the Davy Back Fight arc (worse One Piece arc ever by the way).
Oda has said that Usopp is the equivalent of an "african" (yes, african, not kenyan or ghanaian or congolese) so the big lips are a stereotype.
Edit: I'm not trying to get all tumblr in here, it's just that the lip thing stands out.

Vincent fucked around with this message at 09:20 on May 23, 2014

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

What's with the costume Supergirl's got on?

She became a Red Lantern a few issues back.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Context: A group of girl-scouts (the lumberjanes) go into a river to get their boating medals. Then a monster appears.

From Lumberjanes #2

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

redbackground posted:

He looks exactly like one John Cassaday. And a certain Drummer. Who looks exactly like John Cassaday.

It is weird to see a comic writer and/or artist who is a handsome man.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Pacra posted:

I have rued the day Land got hold of Monica Rambeau :ohdear:

The last Land-made entry, ugggghhhhh...

Hey man you know how hard it is to get pictures of black women that are not Halle Beryy?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Not holding grudges would be my bet.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

Shockingly enough that was also in an EC publication.

Not that shocking. EC had at one time some of the best comic writers and artists on staff. Yes, Gaines went for shock value a lot of the times in order to make a buck but every so often some of the best poo poo came out of EC.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Gavok posted:

It really is for the better that they re-animated the Scarecrow.

:haw:
Nevermore...

should you make jokes like that.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Cue Motörhead.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Pimpmust posted:

She looks rather :smug:
You would too if you were a God I'm sure.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Pastry of the Year posted:

Terminus did this back in FF #269; he basically staked his claim to Earth by writing it across the face of North America with a giant laser.

And Marvel Boy wrote "gently caress You" on the face of Manhattan on the Morrison mini.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Skwirl posted:

What did I just say?

Man up and buy some Archie comics already.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I read issue 35 and didn't understand a drat thing, there were a lot of characters that were just there and now barbara has that bullshit cbs procedural eidetic memory thing which looks so dumb. The art was fun and the explanation for the new costume was rad, I'll give it that.

I did have a bad day when I read it do maybe its more on me, but it's not as new-reader friendly as some people might say.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

It's almost like the comic isn't aimed at grown-rear end men anymore.

Well, what if I want to read Batgirl huh? It's misandry I tell ya! #batgirlgate

Seriously though, is there a re-cap somewhere that I can read to get up to speed and give the issue another go?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I forgot, but did they ever deal with Starbrand accidentally killing an entire town or did Hickman just went "...but then THIS". Because the last time a superhero accidentally destroyed a town, we got a lovely Mark Millar summer event.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

redbackground posted:

He was a completely unwilling participant in a faulty White Event, so it would be weird to blame him for the destruction of the college he was at at the time.

TwoPair posted:

The Marvel Universe at large didn't deal with it, but on a personal level, in Avengers World, Starbrand had to go on a mission to an underground city of the dead in Venice where he got a major mindfuck when all the spirits of his dead classmates rose up and swarmed him.

Spoiler alert: He lived.
Thanks!

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

It's from a manga called Black Jack, don't know which volume it is since I got it from Tumblr (which is also why the panels are all cropped up). Remember to read right to left.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Wapole Languray posted:

The fastest any Speedster can go is the speed of light, because once you break lightspeed a Speedster will enter the Speedforce and either go to Flashhalla, or time travel. :flashfact:

Unless said speedster outruns the literal representation of Death, like Barry and Wally in Final Crisis.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

There was also, more recently, the one speedster mutant that manifested during no more mutants. Time was relative for him so if he ran 200 miles it would only take a few seconds for the rest of the world but but his body would age the length of time it would take s normal human to run that distance. Repede maybe? His name was Spanish for speed.

Velocidad?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Velocidad can't run across water at all, and appears to have the body of a 24 year old at age 15. Not the coolest power in the world. :(

Also his name keeps making me think of this:

His name is also proof that unless you speak or asked a spanish speaking person, don't name your superhero a word in a language you don't understand.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Chinaman7000 posted:

But I don't think anything to do with the stories mentioned are badass or cool or even interesting. The antagonists are all strawmen and the Spectre gets away with broad stroke simple solutions that work not because they make sense but because the character threatens and is capable of genocide to get his way.
That's basically superhero and hero/villain fiction though.

edit: didn't notice there was a new page.
Django/Zorro #1 was a fun issue, specially Diego's reaction to paper money.

Vincent fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 14, 2014

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

redbackground posted:

Being a master pre-planner has become part of Bruce's personality and general strategy
Batman being a paranoid schizophrenic sounds like a fun little Elseworld.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

He is making a joke that that is how Batman is already.

I wasn't. I meant like, Batman as a clinically paranoid, never leaving the house and coming up with the most advanced tinfoil hat known to man.

But I see what you mean.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

These are from Usagi Yojimbo: Senso #5

A bit of context.
The world of Usagi Yojimbo, in case you don't know, is set in feudal Japan (not sure what era exactly, but before Meiji I think) and it follows the adventures of the eponymous ronin, Usagi, who defends the weak from evil warlords, bandits, etc. Along the way he meets a big cast of characters, some who make recurring appearances and some who are just in 1 or a few stories. A lot of 'em are based on popular figures of samurai media, like Lone Wolf & Cub, Zatoichi, Toshiro Mifune, etc. Oh, and all the characters are anthropomorphic animals (the good kinds, not furry bait). This is a very, very, condensed view of the series and I think most of the people here on BSS are familiar with it, but just in case.

Senso is a bit of a time-skip, I don't remember exactly how much, but I'd say between 5 or so years. It's centered around the supposedly final battle between two warlords (both important characters in the UY world and both character who have appeared/influenced various arcs in the comic) when suddenly a spaceship crashed in the middle of the battle and tripods (directly out of The War of the Worlds) come out and wreck poo poo.

Still with me? Good, onto the panels.

A group of disenfranchised ninja faces one of these tripods and basically get obliterated. There is no way they could beat it, so what do they do?

In the last page of the issue, which so far has been rather serious, we see the weapon a scientist has prepared to face the invaders:

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

TwoPair posted:

Little New God. Can you outrace the Naughty List? The death that is coal lumps!

I. AM. THE. NEW. CLAUS.

All is one in Santa. This jolly body is my church.

When I HO HO HO, I speak with three billion voices.

When I make a list of all the little boys and girls.

IT IS WITH THREE BILLION HANDS!

When I check the list once, then check it twice. To see who's been naughty or nice.

IT IS WITH SIX BILLION EYES!

NOTHING LIKE SANTA HAS EVER COME AMONG YOU: NOTHING WILL AGAIN.
I WILL GIVE YOU VISIONS OF SUGAR PLUMS WITHOUT EXIT OR END.
AND THERE I WILL GIVE YOU YOUR PRESENTS!

AND MAKE YOU SMILE AND SING!
AND JINGLE!
JINGLE! JINGLE! FOR KRINGLE!

Vincent fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 25, 2014

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

Ok bastards. It's time for a JudoHobo/PizzaMatrix styled photoshop masterthread:

BSS Presents
FINAL CHRISTMAS

Check the Chat Thread, I left you all a present :wink:

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Well, his name ain't "Safety".

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

That scene really rides the line between badass and comical.

Miller.txt

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

OH. poo poo.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Turns out all you need to have Daredevil driving a car go from goofy to awesome is Chris Samnee and Mark Waid.
From Daredevil #12

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

FredMSloniker posted:

Behold the power of the press, that J. Jonah Jameson is thought of 'that guy who doesn't like Spider-Man very much' and not 'Spider-Man villains? Let's see, there's Jameson, Doc Ock, the Green Goblin...'

Y'know what we call people who talk like that?

Menace.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

qntm posted:

There we go!

Subtlety is overrated.

Well, since these books were targeted to kids and teenagers (both groups notable for not understanding subtlety) I think it's ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Edit: Nevermind.