Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

fatherdog posted:

This is actually a call-back. Ghost-rider penance-stared him at some point (I think in the late 90's) with exactly the same effect.

The key difference was that Danny Ketch didn't actually do a Penance Stare, and informed Frank that if he'd done it for real, he would have exploded. Frank worked himself into a STEEL MIND DEFENSE over nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Anyway, "I regret nothing" does not absolve you of sinfulness in any way. I mean, if that was all it took...

It's pretty much the same thing as that time Joker got hit with fear gas and it didn't work on him because he's NOT AFRAID OF ANYTHING!!!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

My favorite interpretation of Joker has always been that he's a little bit crazy but acts way crazier for attention and to prove some nonsense point about society. Like in the Animated Series, when he'd make some grand soliloquy about chaos and then when his plan goes to poo poo he'd just cut out like any two bit villain, dropping the crazy act immediately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3lNW3jNbig

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

You Am I posted:

Awesome. Do they have rights to the back catalogue as well?

Yes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Do Red Lanterns still have that thing where if they lose their ring they die because it replaced all their blood?

It replaces their heart, actually.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Cabbit posted:

Yeah, but he'll do some really great things behind the scenes.

Then undermine them completely by doing some horrible things at the last minute.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Alas, 'tis the Watcher's pledge not to interfere with the housing market.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Speaking of the Vulture and being lame, does anyone even remember that new Vulture they tried pushing a few years ago? I haven't seen anyone get shelved so quickly after being introduced since the 90s.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Older religions had much better justifications for the existence of evil in the world.

Why did God not protect my sheep from the plague? Because he's a drunken rear end in a top hat!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Batman is about the rich oppressing the poor and keeping the class divide strong, not white supremacy.
That's Superman.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That art conveys scale really well.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Those pages are the raddest thing I've seen in a DC book in a long, long time.

prefect posted:

Tony Stark used to lose all his money every other year. It was interesting the first couple of times. :(

Did it ever prevent him from, you know, having the most state of the art weapon in the world in perfect working order? Because when it happened recently, it sure didn't, which was weird.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Bloodly posted:

I'm unsure. I recall it being in bad repair once or twice during those times he's been without funds(Which is rare in itself), but I forget exactly when.

...I wonder if Doom's armour is still considered equivalent/better than Iron Man's these days?

I think post-extremis, Iron man has the edge, but Doom's got sorcery to make up for the disadvantage.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

thebardyspoon posted:

He was in jail during Secret Invasion right? Might Avengers had him get the poo poo beaten out of him by Sentry and then arrested, then Norman Osborn let him out as a show of goodwill when he took over.

It was quite a feat for the Avengers to properly arrest Doom. No diplomatic loopholes, no escape tunnel, no being a doombot, no "You'll have to kill me!" ultimatum, just a plain capture for a proveable crime and incarceration. I knew it wouldn't last, but that was quite a good way to reinforce the fact that this particular Avengers team had a lot of muscle on its side, if not the best moral ground.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's almost like the comic isn't aimed at grown-rear end men anymore.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Doesn't that mean the answer to his question is yes?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

redbackground posted:

He was a completely unwilling participant in a faulty White Event, so it would be weird to blame him for the destruction of the college he was at at the time.

Did people blame him for that time he lobotomized the planet?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I tried to watch the anime and it was pretty generically bad, should I give the manga a try?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

"There, I've recreated the big bang in his face an uncountable number of times during the space of a microsecond."
"GRUUUUNT" *backhand*

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

AnonSpore posted:

Doesn't Cap's shield absorb all force or something so he should just be able to stand there while the pretty light bounces off his shield?

Nothing so Silver Age DC. It's just made of an alloy that absorbs force better than pretty much anything else, but it doesn't diffuse it completely.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Remember kids, if you don't like bad Grant Morrison comics, you have no soul. Your immortal self that transcends the physical does not exist if you're not moved by hackneyed maudlin crap that trips all over itself in an attempt to seem creative and meaningful.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm gonna just start declaring that people who don't like Ctrl-Alt-Delete have no soul, see if it catches on.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Velocidad can't run across water at all, and appears to have the body of a 24 year old at age 15. Not the coolest power in the world. :(

Also his name keeps making me think of this:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Vincent posted:

His name is also proof that unless you speak or asked a spanish speaking person, don't name your superhero a word in a language you don't understand.

Marvel doesn't even have, like, one guy who can proofread their spanish, french, or any other foreign language. Walking a block to a NY university and giving 10 bucks to a linguistics student is just too much work. Just stick that poo poo into google translate!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Calaveron posted:

Not if you have to use sound effects that literally express what the character is doing.

That's clearly a stylistic decision.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah, there's that one Impulse gag where Riddler is like "I've hidden a bomb under a porch somewhere, to find out which-" and then Impulse is holding the bomb and says "I just checked under every porch in the city."

Why even have a comic at that point? Just print out a flyer with an image of Flash and the text "He solved all the problems through brute force."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I guess the lesson of the Spectre is that it's a really good thing Ghost Rider's power level is relatively low and that he's an idiot.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'm guessing Flash is doing some sort of wind resistance kinda thing, or he's transport for the pieces as mentioned above.

I'm just getting kinda tired of Batman outdoing everyone and judo flipping Jesus cause he's the best thing ever and no one can ever smoke him cause he's BATMAN and that's just how the universe rolls.

The giant bat symbol is hilarious and reminds me of the bat explosive gel from Arkham.

I really like Injustice because it shows Batman having an enormous amount of trouble taking on Superman, and even being emotionally conflicted about it instead of acting one-dimensionally smug.

I really hope the guy coming after Taylor doesn't gently caress up the series too bad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hand of the King posted:

Serious questions: I don't know anything about DC. Does Batman have a plan for every villain and superhero? Does he ever lose?

It depends who you ask, but lately the answer to those questions has been: absolutely and never.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Comic book writers don't understand the first thing about lawyers and generally write them as the courtroom version of 80s movie cops. They broke all the rules, but they got the bad guy and saved the good guy! That makes it ok!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Whedon also apparently thought she'd been a virgin for this entire time, all the better for him to write a big dramatic sex scene involving her.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ok, he didn't actually have an explicit sex scene in there, but she basically took her clothes off and gave Colossus a speech about living life to the fullest, then it cut to the bedroom curtains. It felt a little self-indulgent.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Not that I mind Scorpion being a hero, buy wasn't one of the results of the hosed up time shenanigans of the previous game that he never learned the truth about his family's death and never got his redemptive arc?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Also in the games you can literally murder characters to end each battle, and it doesn't stop them from coming back!

Not in story mode you can't! :mad:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Your joke sucks, talking poo!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Nice to see the book finally jumped the shark.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The thing is, even in the game itself, Batman doesn't think he stands a chance at fighting Superman head on, super pills or no. He goes out of his way to avoid that situation and the rebellion's plan when confronting Superman himself is a mix of buying time and getting out od dodge. Taylor's run similarly acknowledged how incredibly out of everyone's league Superman is, and why that makes his reign so terrifying.

It was nice to see Alfred beat the poo poo out of a weakened Superman with a sneak attack that one time, but that was comeuppance. This is just Batman owning that dumb jerk Superman for what seems like the millionth time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

David D. Davidson posted:

She also tore off Lobo's head in the annual. He got better of course, then she manipulated him into thinking that he had low self esteem and to fix that best thing to do would be to go to Apokolips and pick a fight with Darksyde.

I don't think that was manipulation, it was a correct assessment of how Lobo felt about being emasculated and terrorized by No-Bullshit Superman.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The writing in the game is pretty atrocious, especially compared with Taylor's run. It's essentially summed up in a scene where Yellow Hal tries to explain why he's joined with Sinestro and Superman to Green Hal, to which the reply is "SAVE IT!". We never get any sense of how things got like this, and the good dimension heroes don't care, they're just mad because They Don't Like Things That Are Different. And I really doubt they were counting on the comic explaining it.

There's also a laughable chapter where Deathstroke goes around owning every single character he meets and being one-dimensionally badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That scene really rides the line between badass and comical.