Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
IntelliJ IDEA just owns so hard. squee.

For just banging out code its the fastest, and the autocomplete is tits. The code styling customization was easy to figure out. Also, if you don't want to stare at big white screen all day the Darcula theme is a lot better (my opinion) than what Netbeans has to offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Marshall Louis posted:

For just banging out code its the fastest, and the autocomplete is tits. The code styling customization was easy to figure out. Also, if you don't want to stare at big white screen all day the Darcula theme is a lot better (my opinion) than what Netbeans has to offer.

I'm a total JetBrains fanboi now. AppCode for Objective-C, IntelliJ for Java, Ruby Mine for Ruby/Coffeescript. Just having a best of breed IDE with a consistent interface makes it all worthwhile. I can't imagine life without the built in refactor tool now.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Marshall Louis posted:

Do you happen to use Maven for your build-system?

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Hughlander posted:

I'm a total JetBrains fanboi now. AppCode for Objective-C, IntelliJ for Java, Ruby Mine for Ruby/Coffeescript. Just having a best of breed IDE with a consistent interface makes it all worthwhile. I can't imagine life without the built in refactor tool now.

Learning algorithms now using Java. I plan to move on to learning python and c/c++ later. I already have PyCharm installed for working on python. So I guess I have to claim JetBrains fanboi status as well.

Woodsy Owl posted:

Do you happen to use Maven for your build-system?

Sorry for such a late reply. I am too much of a newbie to have good infos on using Maven.

xpander
Sep 2, 2004
Since we're talking about JetBrains, I'm curious: does Intellij have plugins for pretty much every other language they offer an IDE for? I have PyCharm and Webstorm, but I'm brushing up on my Ruby/Rails and don't feel like buying a third IDE(or more). From what I gather, IntelliJ is "the only IDE you need" but I don't want to find it can't handle Obj-C or something like that.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
ed

Dumlefudge
Feb 25, 2013

xpander posted:

Since we're talking about JetBrains, I'm curious: does Intellij have plugins for pretty much every other language they offer an IDE for? I have PyCharm and Webstorm, but I'm brushing up on my Ruby/Rails and don't feel like buying a third IDE(or more). From what I gather, IntelliJ is "the only IDE you need" but I don't want to find it can't handle Obj-C or something like that.

From what I can tell, IntelliJ offers plugins for all languages supported by their IDEs except the core language(s) supported by AppCode. There doesn't appear to be any Objective-C language support plugins in the plugin repository so... IntelliJ may not be the only IDE you need, unfortunately.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

App code and resharper are the two that are not IntelliJ plugins. I believe everything else is.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Is SublimeText an IDE or just an E? Because I want to profess my love for multiple cursor selection and I don't know if this is the thread to do it in.

xpander
Sep 2, 2004
Thanks for the responses. It's still going to be cheaper than paying for the upkeep on 3 products, so I think it's time to bite the bullet.

return0
Apr 11, 2007
Signal boosting the Jetbrains love, everything they release is gold (Resharper, IntelliJ, PyCharm, RubyMine, TeamCity all great - not tried AppCode but it's probably good too).

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Butterflies : http://xkcd.com/378/

edit: And oh, IntelliJ is garbage. They actually ask money for the thing. Unbelievable.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

rhag posted:

edit: And oh, IntelliJ is garbage. They actually ask money for the thing. Unbelievable.

Care to enlighten the rest of us on how IntelliJ is terrible? I haven't done a ton of java, but it certainly seemed to be light years ahead of eclipse when I did.

Angstrom
Nov 4, 2011

rhag posted:

Counterpoint: IntelliJ is really, really good. Also, if you are just doing plain Java then the community edition is free (for commercial purposes as well I believe).

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Care to enlighten the rest of us on how IntelliJ is terrible? I haven't done a ton of java, but it certainly seemed to be light years ahead of eclipse when I did.

You now want me to describe all its flaws even though I haven't used it in 6 months or so and you've made up your mind and you want to have its babies. Fine, I asked for it, so here it is a post I've made half a year ago on some other forum:

quote:

alt+insert provides suggestions: make getters/setters, add hashCode+equals, etc. If i just write a method name with parameters, i have to use the mouse to make it offer to create the method for me. wtf. eclipse has a simple ctrl+1 and off we go.

autocomplete: case sensitive by default (there is an option to make it insensitive, but really...?). when is insensitive provides bullshit, i have to type most of the class name anyway.

method parameters list: it's not using the autocomplete keyword by default, it's ctrl+p. really?

by default the shortcuts are the most evil mess i've ever seen. sure they can be changed, but there are some very standard ones that i shouldnt have to: ctrl+w doesnt close the current tab, does some other weird stuff.

git support: it actually requires the native git to be installed. really? wtf? the version control ui is unintuitive and a complete mess. i always had to use the command line since i couldnt get along with the ui.

project settings: those dialogs look like the spawn of the devil. the organization of that was created by hitler and blessed by stalin himself.

basic stuff such as xml autocomplete when you have the schema are available only in ultimate (apparently).

when i hover over a method doesn't show the javadoc. read about it as being a requested feature some time ago, apparently they've implemented it, never worked for me (used only the linux version).

cannot apparently format the current file according to the set code style.

at least in 12.1.4 the java 8 support was buggy, very buggy. would show errors where there were none.

With this being said, if you can get along with it, more power to you. Have fun. I am giving it a try (the free version) every now and then (major versions released). So far, it was only a disappointment. When I did use it (before I made the above post), I used it for about 2 months almost every night for few hours. I tried, really tried, we cannot get along.

On the other hand, eclipse is not perfect either. Far from it. Most of its flaws though, come from badly implemented plugins (everything is a plugin). You usually can avoid the bad ones. Sometimes you can't and then can complain to the developers. As for memory consumption ... it all depends on how many plugins you have installed. At home, with 32GB of RAM, I install everything and the kitchen sink and it's more than fine. At work, I have different installations for various tasks (c++, java or some other language/framework development).

Netbeans is usually fine, but it does have its flaws too. I do not see it much better than eclipse though, so after some time I usually just go back to eclipse.

Angstrom posted:

Counterpoint: IntelliJ is really, really good. Also, if you are just doing plain Java then the community edition is free (for commercial purposes as well I believe).

Counterpoint: Nobody does plain Java development anymore (outside maybe students for simple projects). There's a reason why JetBrains offers that version for free, they're not stupid. For anything remotely serious, one needs framework support. After all, that's the entire reason to use an IDE, otherwise we could just develop in ed (or vi for some special snowflakes).

Volguus fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 20, 2014

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

bitreaper posted:

For a team there are great benefits to standardizing on an editor, and the ramp-up for emacs is way longer and very likely not worth it.

What great benefits are these?

Angstrom
Nov 4, 2011

rhag posted:

You now want me to describe all its flaws even though I haven't used it in 6 months or so and you've made up your mind and you want to have its babies. Fine, I asked for it, so here it is a post I've made half a year ago on some other forum:

With this being said, if you can get along with it, more power to you. Have fun. I am giving it a try (the free version) every now and then (major versions released). So far, it was only a disappointment. When I did use it (before I made the above post), I used it for about 2 months almost every night for few hours. I tried, really tried, we cannot get along.

On the other hand, eclipse is not perfect either. Far from it. Most of its flaws though, come from badly implemented plugins (everything is a plugin). You usually can avoid the bad ones. Sometimes you can't and then can complain to the developers. As for memory consumption ... it all depends on how many plugins you have installed. At home, with 32GB of RAM, I install everything and the kitchen sink and it's more than fine. At work, I have different installations for various tasks (c++, java or some other language/framework development).

Netbeans is usually fine, but it does have its flaws too. I do not see it much better than eclipse though, so after some time I usually just go back to eclipse.

Counterpoint: Nobody does plain Java development anymore (outside maybe students for simple projects). There's a reason why JetBrains offers that version for free, they're not stupid. For anything remotely serious, one needs framework support. After all, that's the entire reason to use an IDE, otherwise we could just develop in ed (or vi for some special snowflakes).

Understandable, maybe IntelliJ just isn't for you. I don't think every software has to necessarily appeal to everyone. My company pays for the licenses for it and personally I find myself fighting a lot less with IntelliJ compared to when I used Eclipse (as do the 2 other dudes near me). Eclipse and Netbeans are not bad either. I just use whatever tools work best for me regardless of cost, since $600 or whatever is pretty inexpensive in the long run compared to our salaries.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

rhag posted:

I seriously just wondered what your gripe was, jesus. It seemed fine when I briefly used it to do some coursework so I was curious and goolging intellij is crap or whatever doesn't turn up many results. Those are legitimate complaints though and I'm sure some of them would bug me if I used it for any extended period of time.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

rhag posted:

alt+insert provides suggestions: make getters/setters, add hashCode+equals, etc. If i just write a method name with parameters, i have to use the mouse to make it offer to create the method for me. wtf. eclipse has a simple ctrl+1 and off we go.
Arrow keys work in that menu though.

quote:

autocomplete: case sensitive by default (there is an option to make it insensitive, but really...?). when is insensitive provides bullshit, i have to type most of the class name anyway.
You can only search for the capital letters in CamelCase notation, too. If you have a class called DickButtFaggortryFactoryManager, you can start typing DBFFM and it finds it for you. With some intelligence, in that if you had worked with a DickButtFaggortryFactoryManager before, it's probably the first choice.

quote:

git support: it actually requires the native git to be installed. really? wtf? the version control ui is unintuitive and a complete mess. i always had to use the command line since i couldnt get along with the ui.
Setting up git is a bit of a pain in the rear end, but the diffs and merging in general are VERY nice.

quote:

when i hover over a method doesn't show the javadoc. read about it as being a requested feature some time ago, apparently they've implemented it, never worked for me (used only the linux version).
ctrl-q?

quote:

cannot apparently format the current file according to the set code style.
ctrl-shift-L?

Eclipse is just different in some other aspects, can't really do a huge comparison since it's been years since I used it.

pigdog fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jun 20, 2014

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Going to agree with the above, most of those complaints seem pretty trivial and more of a lack of knowledge than anything.

If you were using the free version maybe that's part of the problem (haven't used it in forever but I remember it feeling kind of restrictive), Eclipse is probably better if we're comparing free vs. free but I would say IntelliJ is leagues better than anything else if you shell out the money for it (it's like $100? Not bad).

True, the git support is not fantastic (I haven't seen a git UI that was, in fairness, I think SourceTree is the closest?), but it's good in the general case.

I will say if there's one complaint probably everyone can agree with about IntelliJ, it's just complicated as gently caress and has a pretty steep learning curve. It's very powerful and has a million options, to it's detriment. Once you start getting familiar with it though it's pretty fantastic I feel.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

pigdog posted:

Arrow keys work in that menu though.
Yes, but that menu doesn't contain (for example) the "create method XXX".

pigdog posted:

You can only search for the capital letters in CamelCase notation, too. If you have a class called DickButtFaggortryFactoryManager, you can start typing DBFFM and it finds it for you. With some intelligence, in that if you had worked with a DickButtFaggortryFactoryManager before, it's probably the first choice.
Exactly. This is beyond weird.

pigdog posted:

Setting up git is a bit of a pain in the rear end, but the diffs and merging in general are VERY nice.
Well ... i disagree. I have a colleague who loooves IntelliJ. He's the only one who messed up a merge conflict (deleted lines he shouldn't have). Then again, I don't think he would be able to do it via the command line (he's an idiot, really bad programmer) either, but the UI didn't help him a bit.

Exactly. Why can't it just show it to me when I hover over it? I mean ... WTF!!!

pigdog posted:

ctrl-shift-L?
Well ... yea, maybe. It didn't show up in the menu (popup or from the menu-bar) i only remember seeing: format project files (or something like this).

pigdog posted:

Eclipse is just different in some other aspects, can't really do a huge comparison since it's been years since I used it.

It is different. And when you compare free vs free, what Eclipse has to offer is light years ahead of IntelliJ, even if I would take the hit of having patience with it and giving it one more chance. From what I can see, it's really not worth the money.

aerique
Jul 16, 2008

Deus Rex posted:

bitreaper posted:

For a team there are great benefits to standardizing on an editor, and the ramp-up for emacs is way longer and very likely not worth it.

What great benefits are these?

I'm curious as well. I'd like my projects to be as platform and editor agnostic as possible. Let the developers use whatever they prefer.

I can imagine for certain projects to default on an IDE / environment. A small games studio using Unity for example, but otherwise there's distinct advantages to making it IDE agnostic: the project will be much more maintainable, you're not tied to a specific environment / vendor / maybe not even an OS, etc. etc.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
I've been using Code::Blocks, mostly because I know that I can run it both at home and the computers at school. I'm open to try something else. I just want to be able to experiment with as many languages as possible without paying a ton of money or having to learn a whole new environment every time.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

IMHO the main point of git support in an ide is so it handles file creation / movement / deletion properly. Do your commits and poo poo from the full-boned client of your choice.

Visual Studio is becoming an interesting option here even beyond .NET -- microsoft seems committed to making it more generic, it's web/js editing is really, really badassed out of the box and they give away some skus for free. Worth checking out if you are running on windows.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
Sublime Text can go gently caress itself. I was learning to use karma/angular last night and I wasted 4 loving hours trying to figure out why karma wasn't picking up changes in my code. Apparently Sublime does some wierd "delete/replace" instead of updating the original file.

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

bpower posted:

Apparently Sublime does some wierd "delete/replace" instead of updating the original file.

I don't know what sublime does specifically, but all (good) editors do something like this.

The point is to write the file contents to disk, flush, and then move the new file over the old one. That way, you're never (or suppose to be never) in the situation where a power failure or crash is going to cause your entire file to just disappear.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

crazypenguin posted:

I don't know what sublime does specifically, but all (good) editors do something like this.

The point is to write the file contents to disk, flush, and then move the new file over the old one. That way, you're never (or suppose to be never) in the situation where a power failure or crash is going to cause your entire file to just disappear.

So I probably have some set up issue?

ani47
Jul 25, 2007
+

crazypenguin posted:

I managed to Ctrl-S in visual studio just as a power cut happened and ended up with a zero length file. Luckily visual assist keeps regular backups as you work or I would have lost half a days work. How a paid for product manages this is beyond me.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004

bpower posted:

Sublime Text can go gently caress itself. I was learning to use karma/angular last night and I wasted 4 loving hours trying to figure out why karma wasn't picking up changes in my code. Apparently Sublime does some wierd "delete/replace" instead of updating the original file.

I use karma to run jasmine and it definitely detects when I save with Sublime Text.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

ani47 posted:

I managed to Ctrl-S in visual studio just as a power cut happened and ended up with a zero length file. Luckily visual assist keeps regular backups as you work or I would have lost half a days work. How a paid for product manages this is beyond me.

Half a day's work and no commits into version control!??! (Even if what you're working on isn't complete you can still commit into say a dev branch and then squash it when done to not have tons of extra unncessary commits).

kainzero
Sep 15, 2003
All you people standin' around here talkin', shut the fuck up and dance!
Just another vote for JetBrains IDEs. ReSharper and WebStorm are essential. I'm sure I would use RubyMine, PyCharm, or IntelliJ if I used those languages. TeamCity is pretty sick too.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Visual Studio.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I mostly use Sublime, especially since it seems to be the best supported with cool things like autocompletion for less widespread languages. (Nothing particularly obscure, Go and Rust)

Though I don't use Sublime's build features, I mostly still switch to terminal for that.

The only exception is for Python on Windows I generally use Spyder because it comes with Python(x,y).

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Jsor posted:

I mostly use Sublime, especially since it seems to be the best supported with cool things like autocompletion for less widespread languages. (Nothing particularly obscure, Go and Rust)

Though I don't use Sublime's build features, I mostly still switch to terminal for that.

The only exception is for Python on Windows I generally use Spyder because it comes with Python(x,y).

How's sublime on scala? I've been using Intellij's plugin and it's pretty good.

Real programmers debug by reading core dumps in a hex editor, or something...

FrantzX
Jan 28, 2007
Visual Studio is mother, Visual Studio is father.

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
Visual Studio is the best IDE, but almost all of the JetBrains IDEs are a close second. Sublime text is cool and I paid for it and used it for years but I think I just don't like it anymore. I just use Atom as my text editor now. I still have a license for TextMate and Coda as well, two more editors I no longer use. I totally wasted lots of money on work tools I no longer use.

Edit: To be clear, I bought Coda 1 and didn't bother upgrading to 2. I still use and love Transmit though.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
I'm used to VS for c# and c++ development. After using it since 1998 or so I recently had to switch to IntelliJ after I changed jobs. I have to say, I don't think I miss any features and it's being holding up really well!

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Sagacity posted:

I'm used to VS for c# and c++ development. After using it since 1998 or so I recently had to switch to IntelliJ after I changed jobs. I have to say, I don't think I miss any features and it's being holding up really well!

My only annoyance with IntelliJ and their various derivatives is that the suggestions are too aggressive. I don't really need a notification telling me I have a typo. Also, their PEP8 style checks are really over the top for me.

0zzyRocks
Jul 10, 2001

Lord of the broken bong
I've been using PhpStorm for the last few months and now RubyMine for the last week or so and they do everything I need them to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Has anyone tried Zed?

I like it, probably even more than Sublime. The problem is it's Chromium-based, which means it's bound by Javascript and browser sandboxing laws, so it's pretty much impossible to configure it to, say, run a build tool for a compiled language from it. My only other complaint is that it's project based and it's a bit more difficult than it should be to open a new folder as a project.

(To be fair, there's a standalone version that theoretically could run these things, but AFAICT, there's no real way to do an operation on some variable like $PROJECT_ROOT, nor does printing to console via Javascript do anything, so you don't get any feedback on command completion, and you can't execute a command anywhere in the command line).

KernelSlanders posted:

How's sublime on scala? I've been using Intellij's plugin and it's pretty good.

No idea, I don't use Scala.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jan 27, 2015

• Locked thread