Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Butterflies : http://xkcd.com/378/

edit: And oh, IntelliJ is garbage. They actually ask money for the thing. Unbelievable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Care to enlighten the rest of us on how IntelliJ is terrible? I haven't done a ton of java, but it certainly seemed to be light years ahead of eclipse when I did.

You now want me to describe all its flaws even though I haven't used it in 6 months or so and you've made up your mind and you want to have its babies. Fine, I asked for it, so here it is a post I've made half a year ago on some other forum:

quote:

alt+insert provides suggestions: make getters/setters, add hashCode+equals, etc. If i just write a method name with parameters, i have to use the mouse to make it offer to create the method for me. wtf. eclipse has a simple ctrl+1 and off we go.

autocomplete: case sensitive by default (there is an option to make it insensitive, but really...?). when is insensitive provides bullshit, i have to type most of the class name anyway.

method parameters list: it's not using the autocomplete keyword by default, it's ctrl+p. really?

by default the shortcuts are the most evil mess i've ever seen. sure they can be changed, but there are some very standard ones that i shouldnt have to: ctrl+w doesnt close the current tab, does some other weird stuff.

git support: it actually requires the native git to be installed. really? wtf? the version control ui is unintuitive and a complete mess. i always had to use the command line since i couldnt get along with the ui.

project settings: those dialogs look like the spawn of the devil. the organization of that was created by hitler and blessed by stalin himself.

basic stuff such as xml autocomplete when you have the schema are available only in ultimate (apparently).

when i hover over a method doesn't show the javadoc. read about it as being a requested feature some time ago, apparently they've implemented it, never worked for me (used only the linux version).

cannot apparently format the current file according to the set code style.

at least in 12.1.4 the java 8 support was buggy, very buggy. would show errors where there were none.

With this being said, if you can get along with it, more power to you. Have fun. I am giving it a try (the free version) every now and then (major versions released). So far, it was only a disappointment. When I did use it (before I made the above post), I used it for about 2 months almost every night for few hours. I tried, really tried, we cannot get along.

On the other hand, eclipse is not perfect either. Far from it. Most of its flaws though, come from badly implemented plugins (everything is a plugin). You usually can avoid the bad ones. Sometimes you can't and then can complain to the developers. As for memory consumption ... it all depends on how many plugins you have installed. At home, with 32GB of RAM, I install everything and the kitchen sink and it's more than fine. At work, I have different installations for various tasks (c++, java or some other language/framework development).

Netbeans is usually fine, but it does have its flaws too. I do not see it much better than eclipse though, so after some time I usually just go back to eclipse.

Angstrom posted:

Counterpoint: IntelliJ is really, really good. Also, if you are just doing plain Java then the community edition is free (for commercial purposes as well I believe).

Counterpoint: Nobody does plain Java development anymore (outside maybe students for simple projects). There's a reason why JetBrains offers that version for free, they're not stupid. For anything remotely serious, one needs framework support. After all, that's the entire reason to use an IDE, otherwise we could just develop in ed (or vi for some special snowflakes).

Volguus fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 20, 2014

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

pigdog posted:

Arrow keys work in that menu though.
Yes, but that menu doesn't contain (for example) the "create method XXX".

pigdog posted:

You can only search for the capital letters in CamelCase notation, too. If you have a class called DickButtFaggortryFactoryManager, you can start typing DBFFM and it finds it for you. With some intelligence, in that if you had worked with a DickButtFaggortryFactoryManager before, it's probably the first choice.
Exactly. This is beyond weird.

pigdog posted:

Setting up git is a bit of a pain in the rear end, but the diffs and merging in general are VERY nice.
Well ... i disagree. I have a colleague who loooves IntelliJ. He's the only one who messed up a merge conflict (deleted lines he shouldn't have). Then again, I don't think he would be able to do it via the command line (he's an idiot, really bad programmer) either, but the UI didn't help him a bit.

Exactly. Why can't it just show it to me when I hover over it? I mean ... WTF!!!

pigdog posted:

ctrl-shift-L?
Well ... yea, maybe. It didn't show up in the menu (popup or from the menu-bar) i only remember seeing: format project files (or something like this).

pigdog posted:

Eclipse is just different in some other aspects, can't really do a huge comparison since it's been years since I used it.

It is different. And when you compare free vs free, what Eclipse has to offer is light years ahead of IntelliJ, even if I would take the hit of having patience with it and giving it one more chance. From what I can see, it's really not worth the money.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

enthe0s posted:

So I'm coming over from SublimeText, and it has never had a problem trying to figure out if it should comment/uncomment depending on the context of what's highlighted.

I'm not averse to change, that's not my core complaint. My core complaint is that the very commonly used action of commenting/uncommenting code is no longer one hotkey, but now rather a hotkey followed by one of two modifer keys for a very binary operation (if commented -> uncomment, if uncommented -> comment).

I think it's bad because it requires the user to not only press more keys, but it also requires them to stop and make a secondary decision of remembering which key to press depending on what the current state of the code is (commented/uncommented).

It's like having Caps Lock be on Ctrl + C, U for uppercase and Ctrl + C, L for lowercase. It's explicit and it makes sense, but there's not much gained here than if the hotkey was just Ctrl + C and it was smart enough to toggle between the two depending on context.

I'm just trying to save my keystrokes and put off RSI for as long as possible man! :argh:

On the other hand, it could be argued that commenting code during development is a habit that should go away. With distributed version control systems it is easier than ever to commit anytime you want, revert, commit again, etc., therefore making the deletion of code a much more viable and preferable option, as it reduces the probability of "junk" littering your project.

On the other hand, i don't commit that often either and during crunch "this loving thing doesn't wanna work" sessions, commenting out code comes out more naturally.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Jabor posted:

... That seems like more of a muscle memory "it's different to what I'm used to" thing.

But, isn't that the entire thing with IDEs (editors in general)? Nowadays, most IDEs (outside of very specialized ones, like XCode, or Android Studio, or Keil ), have roughly same capabilities. They simply differ in how they allow you to do X. Some people really like to do X in Y way, some people highly dislike the Y way. I personally highly dislike the JetBrains style, but I can get along better with netbeans, eclipse or KDevelop. They have roughly same capabilities (for their specific targets), they just do some things differently. And of course, all have their own quirks, that we learn to live with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Sagacity posted:

Could you elaborate? I'm not trying to snark, just curious.

I wrote a post in this thread a few pages back elaborating on this, but it essentially it boils down to me disliking the editor's way of working. It doesn't do things the way i want them to be done, and I have no reason to go through the pains of adapting myself to it since there are other IDEs out there that work the way I want them to. Plus they even ask money for things that others have for free (while not providing anything to justify the price). Of course, this is my opinion, based on Idea 12-13.x, since i haven't tried yet the latest version. Maybe my opinion will change in the future when I'll be forced to use Android Studio let's say, or some other jetbrains IDE. If you are happy with it ... more power to you.

• Locked thread