Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angstrom
Nov 4, 2011

rhag posted:

Butterflies : http://xkcd.com/378/

edit: And oh, IntelliJ is garbage. They actually ask money for the thing. Unbelievable.

Counterpoint: IntelliJ is really, really good. Also, if you are just doing plain Java then the community edition is free (for commercial purposes as well I believe).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angstrom
Nov 4, 2011

rhag posted:

You now want me to describe all its flaws even though I haven't used it in 6 months or so and you've made up your mind and you want to have its babies. Fine, I asked for it, so here it is a post I've made half a year ago on some other forum:

With this being said, if you can get along with it, more power to you. Have fun. I am giving it a try (the free version) every now and then (major versions released). So far, it was only a disappointment. When I did use it (before I made the above post), I used it for about 2 months almost every night for few hours. I tried, really tried, we cannot get along.

On the other hand, eclipse is not perfect either. Far from it. Most of its flaws though, come from badly implemented plugins (everything is a plugin). You usually can avoid the bad ones. Sometimes you can't and then can complain to the developers. As for memory consumption ... it all depends on how many plugins you have installed. At home, with 32GB of RAM, I install everything and the kitchen sink and it's more than fine. At work, I have different installations for various tasks (c++, java or some other language/framework development).

Netbeans is usually fine, but it does have its flaws too. I do not see it much better than eclipse though, so after some time I usually just go back to eclipse.

Counterpoint: Nobody does plain Java development anymore (outside maybe students for simple projects). There's a reason why JetBrains offers that version for free, they're not stupid. For anything remotely serious, one needs framework support. After all, that's the entire reason to use an IDE, otherwise we could just develop in ed (or vi for some special snowflakes).

Understandable, maybe IntelliJ just isn't for you. I don't think every software has to necessarily appeal to everyone. My company pays for the licenses for it and personally I find myself fighting a lot less with IntelliJ compared to when I used Eclipse (as do the 2 other dudes near me). Eclipse and Netbeans are not bad either. I just use whatever tools work best for me regardless of cost, since $600 or whatever is pretty inexpensive in the long run compared to our salaries.

• Locked thread