Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I mostly use Sublime, especially since it seems to be the best supported with cool things like autocompletion for less widespread languages. (Nothing particularly obscure, Go and Rust)

Though I don't use Sublime's build features, I mostly still switch to terminal for that.

The only exception is for Python on Windows I generally use Spyder because it comes with Python(x,y).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Has anyone tried Zed?

I like it, probably even more than Sublime. The problem is it's Chromium-based, which means it's bound by Javascript and browser sandboxing laws, so it's pretty much impossible to configure it to, say, run a build tool for a compiled language from it. My only other complaint is that it's project based and it's a bit more difficult than it should be to open a new folder as a project.

(To be fair, there's a standalone version that theoretically could run these things, but AFAICT, there's no real way to do an operation on some variable like $PROJECT_ROOT, nor does printing to console via Javascript do anything, so you don't get any feedback on command completion, and you can't execute a command anywhere in the command line).

KernelSlanders posted:

How's sublime on scala? I've been using Intellij's plugin and it's pretty good.

No idea, I don't use Scala.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jan 27, 2015

• Locked thread