Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TodPunk
Feb 9, 2013

What do you mean, "TRON isn't a documentary?"
I code in a lot of environments, so take this with a grain of salt for not being a purist. For web PHP stuff I'd stick to PHPStorm on your Windows box and on the server, learn to use Vim (no really, if you're going to deploy in a linux environment, you'll be far more valuable if you can navigate to and edit code on the hardware. Debugging and whatnot will be vital to proving your value and intelligence in the eyes of clients.)

Visual Studio has some plugins and hacks you can get PHP stuff working on it with, and I like Visual Studio, but i don't like any of the hacks for PHP on it. Your mileage may vary. Eclipse is likely better for PHP build-your-own environments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TodPunk
Feb 9, 2013

I don't think that's web-based, other than it's html/javascript based. It would lose a lot of features if run in a web format, like local filesystem access. It's a pretty awesome looking editor, just not something he'll be able to use to do remote candidate interviews, I believe.

TodPunk
Feb 9, 2013

bitreaper posted:

But seriously, emacs. (I use vim but it isn't an IDE.)

I would say emacs has its uses, but as an IDE for all things, no. Especially if you're on a team of more than one. Use a toolchain that everyone benefits from. If you all already know emacs and have a workflow built around it, great. Otherwise, it is an overcomplicated text editor until it can be extended to have the toolchain/workflow. Then if poorly designed, that extension may suck all the time that should be spent developing.

A good IDE gets the boilerplate crap out of your way so you can make awesome stuff. emacs can be that for the longhaul, but for a team it simply has too big a ramp-up time compared to the toolsets of other IDEs and complimentary tools it has integrated (this is literally the only reason anyone cares at all about Eclipse for anything).

That said, if you're going to do one dev thing (like php websites for example, because you hate yourself or something) for a very long time, emacs can change everything and make you loads more productive in a given niche. Just not if you have to play in the sandbox with others.

• Locked thread