Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ennis is a unionist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

How do you folks keep comic reading a habit? And how about reading when you're tired or whatever when scrolling the net seems to come more easily? Any tips and tricks?

I've read some general advice on reading more, some about convenience and keeping a tablet handy etc, I do have a tablet 'o comics plus a lot of trades. But figured I'd ask what the comic crowd's experiences are, and getting back on when falling off the habit.

For example, I read about 40 comics last year, this year reading 300 comics is a goal of mine. Plus some novels etc. I happen to be sleeping shoddy this week so I've been gaming and net surfing etc.

One idea that occured to me is to try reading lower importance or lower quality stuff that I'm still interested in, since I won't feel like I'm too tired etc to enjoy it etc. A kooky idea maybe. Also remembering I can read say 6 pages, and that would be something. Plus Judge Dredd is in 6 page installment in 2000AD.

For example, nobody likes Daniel Way Deadpool. So if I'm too tired for a more acclaimed Deadpool run, why not say ok my brain isn't working so let's see what Way is up to.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Disco Pope posted:

This could be faulty memory or me just having bad taste at the time, but I seem to recall his short arc in Spider-Man's Tangled Web being not too bad and showing that he could get the character if he wanted to, and I'm not beyond finding his take on Wolverine in The Punisher really loving funny in a Looney Tunes way.

I don't know, I get cape fatigue sometimes too, but I really resent that shortly after I got into American superhero comics as a teen, the trendy thing to do was to write about how you're too cool for the subject matter.

The Thousands was pretty good.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Heavy Metal posted:

How do you folks keep comic reading a habit? And how about reading when you're tired or whatever when scrolling the net seems to come more easily? Any tips and tricks?

I've read some general advice on reading more, some about convenience and keeping a tablet handy etc, I do have a tablet 'o comics plus a lot of trades. But figured I'd ask what the comic crowd's experiences are, and getting back on when falling off the habit.

For example, I read about 40 comics last year, this year reading 300 comics is a goal of mine. Plus some novels etc. I happen to be sleeping shoddy this week so I've been gaming and net surfing etc.

One idea that occured to me is to try reading lower importance or lower quality stuff that I'm still interested in, since I won't feel like I'm too tired etc to enjoy it etc. A kooky idea maybe. Also remembering I can read say 6 pages, and that would be something. Plus Judge Dredd is in 6 page installment in 2000AD.

For example, nobody likes Daniel Way Deadpool. So if I'm too tired for a more acclaimed Deadpool run, why not say ok my brain isn't working so let's see what Way is up to.

Yeah trash comics are perfectly valid just like watching a TV show where you can turn your brain off for a bit. I don't feel guilty about blazing through something I don't care much about. Newer stuff is way less wordy than old comics so that helps too.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I have a problem with not reading as much as I'd like ever since I stopped commuting years ago because that was a baked-in, guaranteed solid chunk of time for reading. Reading tends to tire me out too quickly in the evening so I try to do at least a chapter, if it's a novel, or a couple issues if it's a comic, on my lunch break when I'm at max energy. Or if it's a quiet day/weekend, reading in the morning with my coffee is a joy.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My friends started a book club during covid lockdowns, so I have a list I have to read every few weeks. Unfortunately, right now it means getting through DC crossovers from the 2010's.

Having a pull list works for me. I buy a book, I need to read it ASAP. It has meant me sticking with books I didn't like to much because I didn't want to edit my list, but right now I'm enjoy most of it.

During "nice" seasons, I grab a book to take with me on my daily walks. Get through half of the walk, sit down and read, finish my walk. I'm away from the TV and less likely to pull out my phone to watch YouTube.

Get called for jury duty? I sure read a lot a month ago!

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

I use a Kindle I loaded the Play Store on for Marvel Unlimited, and I also subscribed to DCU along with various stuff I bought on Comixology through the years. Its a cheap box o' comics. I've been reading the What If series from the late 80s recently, and on the DC side I have decades of stuff I haven't read so I'll just take a look at one of their collections or recommendations and jump in. Now that said, my Kindles have slapped me in the face 100s of times at this point after nodding out while reading.

A Kindle Fire to be more clear.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i'm pretty sporadic with my readings. there are a few titles that i will try to read the day they come out or as soon as i can later, if i'm being honest in large part because i like to be able to keep up with discussion here and on discord lol. but a lot of the books i read i end up falling off of for a while and then sometime later i will get a surge of energy randomly and plow through a backlog. and then sometimes something will happen like i watch the andor and suddenly i feel like reading 70 issues of star wars in a week

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I just don’t read stuff when I don’t want to and do read stuff when I do. If video games or watching people play Magic the Gathering or politics are more interesting to me at that moment, I’ll let those take my attention. If I care enough about something I’ll return to it later

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Lucifunk posted:

I use a Kindle I loaded the Play Store on for Marvel Unlimited

This was my way back into Marvel comics as well. I've never been a zeitgeist kind of guy so the delay on unlimited uploads doesn't really bother me and I have just enough reading energy most weeks to keep up with the comics I like (X-Men, Hulk, Moon Knight, anything by Ewing or Mackay) and maybe dip into the archives to read up on a critically acclaimed series or maybe just read some old Tales to Astonish.

I've also been bopped on the head by my tablet several times.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

For me, comics are very much a sometimes food, primarily just because they are less ergonomic than books. TPBs are large and floppy; the tablet I read digital comics on is large and rigid and has limited battery life. Meanwhile, most books I read on my e-reader, which fits comfortably in my purse and can be easily placed on most nearby surfaces and is thus basically always with me. So I'm pretty much only reading comics when I get an urge to read comics specifically, vs. an urge to read a specific genre or emotional vibe or what have you that I'm more likely to satisfy with prose.

None of which is particularly useful to you, sorry. But I do think the advice to just read fun "trashy" stuff if it's what you're vibing with or what you have the energy for is good. Not everything you read has to be an intricate work of artistic genius, it's ok to go "I am tired today and want to read a straightforward story about a horrible necromancer and her even more horrible dragon girlfriend fighting monsters" or w/e.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

ToxicFrog posted:

For me, comics are very much a sometimes food, primarily just because they are less ergonomic than books. TPBs are large and floppy; the tablet I read digital comics on is large and rigid and has limited battery life. Meanwhile, most books I read on my e-reader, which fits comfortably in my purse and can be easily placed on most nearby surfaces and is thus basically always with me. So I'm pretty much only reading comics when I get an urge to read comics specifically, vs. an urge to read a specific genre or emotional vibe or what have you that I'm more likely to satisfy with prose.

None of which is particularly useful to you, sorry. But I do think the advice to just read fun "trashy" stuff if it's what you're vibing with or what you have the energy for is good. Not everything you read has to be an intricate work of artistic genius, it's ok to go "I am tired today and want to read a straightforward story about a horrible necromancer and her even more horrible dragon girlfriend fighting monsters" or w/e.

Western trade paperbacks really have a garbage design. The combination of tall, thin, and heavy makes them fall over all the time and that makes the graphic novel section at my store a genuine pain to fix up at close.

Also I wholeheartedly agree with the second paragraph

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Comic reading has gotten more difficult as I’ve gotten older. I used to get home from the shop every Wednesday, smoke a joint, and read my entire haul that day. Having a to read pile makes me just a little anxious. So many X books to catch up on.

Comics are a romance that sometimes needs some rekindling. There’s been a lot of good stuff coming out lately, and it’s gotten me reading a lot more than I had been for the last few years.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Thanks, cool to hear these comic insights and tips folks.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

Since they're digital, I'll sometimes not read stuff like the Star Wars books for a year or more and then just read a bunch of that kind of thing. It doesn't matter if I read Predator tomorrow or in 2025.

I'll also throw out the caveat that I don't have kids, work from home, and I'm a sweet lil' bubble boy that has to minimize my time out of the house so I have tons of time for a man my age to read comics and novels, etc. and I'm not much of a TV show binge guy either. It's just a nice way to wake up sometimes. Make an egg and something for breakfast and just read a cool comic.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I'll be honest, COVID sorta broke my habit. I was a regular Every Wednesday dude and then suddenly there weren't any Wednesdays, and by the time there were again, I'd completely fallen out of it.

These days I just read whatever if it catches my eye, I guess.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I don't have the attention span for weekly stuff (unless I really really can't wait) so I just wait until a run is done, and by then it's usually cheap/on unlimited

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I binge on arcs / entire runs every so often. Sometimes those are in floppies, sometimes in trades/bigger collections. An few issues a night before bed is a good pace for this kind of thing.

Digital is great for cost and I do read some stuff like that but I just hate it compared to an actual physical book.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm still a Wednesday person, but it's opening Amazon and buying my monthlies digitally. I usually read at lunch and before bed to wind down.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
The few I get physically I read Thursday night after I get them. My problem is I can't afford to gamble on physical issues anymore. I ran into 8 volumes of the older King Conan tpb recently, and the snippet I read was interesting, but at $10 to $25 a book it was too much investment to pick up all at once, especially a hard to find incomplete series. I really need to find an ereader, start using the library more, or start sailing the seas.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Just a friendly reminder that libraries are your friends. My pull list has definitely shrunk over the years but I find I am reading more than ever because I can pick up trades at the library that I would never have even thought to buy and if I don't like them, well it didn't cost me anything, and if I do like them and feel like it's something I want I can buy a copy.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Is Big Game as stupid as its blurb makes it sound? Because whoof.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Has anyone bonded with a symbiote then had kids?

We've seen a symbiote produce symbiote offspring, but I wonder what a child would be like if one of or both their parents were bonded to a symbiote enough to have been changed on a molecular level.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Lobok posted:

Has anyone bonded with a symbiote then had kids?

We've seen a symbiote produce symbiote offspring, but I wonder what a child would be like if one of or both their parents were bonded to a symbiote enough to have been changed on a molecular level.

I think Eddie Brock had a secret kid show up a few years back and he had some connection to symbiotes/Carnage/Knull

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CzarChasm posted:

I think Eddie Brock had a secret kid show up a few years back and he had some connection to symbiotes/Carnage/Knull

He's Venom now*

*as of last time I read Venom which was several issues ago

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think Eddie Brock's kid has been a thing for a long while now, like either since before the whole Knull thing or at the very start of it at the latest.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
He got the symbiote at the start of Ewing's run

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

Can anyone identify what comic this is from or what artist it's meant to be in the style of?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ok I looked it up and Dylan Brock was a kind of creepy virgin birth thing from Eddie, Anne, and the symbiote.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Disco Godfather posted:

Can anyone identify what comic this is from or what artist it's meant to be in the style of?

Looks kinda like Bushmiller Nancy

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Disco Godfather posted:

That's Maggie and Jiggs from the early-20th-century comic strip Bringing Up Father, although it's much cruder than the actual strip artist's style.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Has it ever been discussed if Batman comes out earlier and stays out later in Winter or how he adjusts to less darkness in Summer? Like, if you get mugged at 9.30pm on a balmy July night is it just "gently caress you, then"?

Edit: I know this sounds kind of flip, but I wonder if it's ever been a plot element.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jan 23, 2024

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Disco Pope posted:

Has it ever been discussed if Batman comes out earlier and stays out later in Winter or how he adjusts to less darkness in Summer? Like, if you get mugged at 9.30pm on a balmy July night is it just "gently caress you, then"?

Edit: I know this sounds kind of flip, but I wonder if it's ever been a plot element.

Robin can handle those because of summer vacation from school. :v:

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Gaz-L posted:

Robin can handle those because of summer vacation from school. :v:

The idea of Batman just scooting about in August while people are drinking in beer gardens or on their roofs blasting some De La Soul and NOFX with a case of Coronas is just really funny to me somehow.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bruce Wayne sipping sangria on a rooftop Tiki bar waiting for sunset, and as it dips below the horizon we see the last light of day sweep down his face and body turning his neon sunglasses and Hawaiian shirt transform into cowl and cape.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It never comes up because nobody mugs anyone during daylight hours in gotham, since criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Batman is not always nocturnal. Sometimes he digs days!

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

Isn't Duke the daytime shift Batman?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Edge & Christian posted:

Batman is not always nocturnal. Sometimes he digs days!

Yeah back in the 50s through 70s, Batman patrolled during the day too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

There's also the entire '60s Adam West series, which was mostly sunny LA.