Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Edge & Christian posted:

Batman is not always nocturnal. Sometimes he digs days!
I love the one-two punch of Batman just taking a casual stroll on the sidewalk to girlwatch combined with the reveal that, for years, his policy has been “oh, that part of Gotham has too much crime in it, I think I’ll give it a miss”.

Suburban Batman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lucifunk posted:

Isn't Duke the daytime shift Batman?

That is supposedly the situation, yes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

I love the one-two punch of Batman just taking a casual stroll on the sidewalk to girlwatch combined with the reveal that, for years, his policy has been “oh, that part of Gotham has too much crime in it, I think I’ll give it a miss”.

Suburban Batman

That story is pretty goofy tonally, too. It's actually mostly a Titans story where the marginalised folks who live in that area have started policing the area themselves because the actual cops are either corrupt or are, y'know, cops, and thus Gotham wants to tear down the housing in the area to gentrify it. But the story's point is that 'the Youths' just need to pull up their bootstraps and tidy up the neighbourhood.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 23, 2024

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Lucifunk posted:

Isn't Duke the daytime shift Batman?

Does anyone actually like Duke?

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

He'd actually have to be in a current running comic for me to form an opinion

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Duke is with Harper Row just off screen

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

thetoughestbean posted:

Yes, but like entirely from Batman Family.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I liked Duke in the I am Robin series but since then he has gotten a new costume and done nothing. I'm not saying that he needs his own solo comic but it would be nice if he appeared in a few comics instead of just a background character. Put him Nightwing and have him learn from Grayson or something. Give him some character development.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Madkal posted:

I liked Duke in the I am Robin series but since then he has gotten a new costume and done nothing. I'm not saying that he needs his own solo comic but it would be nice if he appeared in a few comics instead of just a background character. Put him Nightwing and have him learn from Grayson or something. Give him some character development.

Doesn't Duke have some oddly complicated powers?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Duke's parents were infected by Joker's super Joker gas or something and Bruce promised to find a cure. I don't know if it has ever been mentioned since.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

Only the Batman Family version.

Duke is absolutely a #1 candidate for Most Likely To Get Written Out/Killed Off.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

Duke's parents were infected by Joker's super Joker gas or something and Bruce promised to find a cure. I don't know if it has ever been mentioned since.

Much like Superman always finding a way to fix Kandor being shrunk, I'm sure he's working on it conveniently juuuust off-panel.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Here's a question, for long running series with multiple writers especially. When you jump back in and don't remember many things, how much do you stop to look stuff up, or just go with the flow?

A pet peeve of mine is every fan wiki page features a prominent "status: DEAD" or something near the top, not always a great place to get a refresher on some character.

For example I'm thinking I'll jump into some Jenkins The Darkness, it's been maybe 15 years since I read the previous stuff. I guess one bonus of forgetting stuff is the next writer often doesn't line up with the previous writer on things anyway.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Mr Hootington posted:

Duke is with Harper Row just off screen

:negative:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If Falcon can talk to birds, and birds are dinosaurs, has Falcon ever used his bird-talking power to talk to dinosaurs?

PS I haven’t read comics in a long time and I have no idea how long it’s been since Falcon has had the mutant power to talk to birds or how long it’s been since he was called Falcon of he’s now called something else.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
He goes by Bald Eagle now and has, coincidentally, also adopted a very strict waxing regimen.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I AM GRANDO posted:

If Falcon can talk to birds, and birds are dinosaurs, has Falcon ever used his bird-talking power to talk to dinosaurs?

PS I haven’t read comics in a long time and I have no idea how long it’s been since Falcon has had the mutant power to talk to birds or how long it’s been since he was called Falcon of he’s now called something else.

I don't know about dinosaurs but in Avengers 689 (2018) Sam was able to make a telepathic link with Challenger, an alien that evolved from either birds or dinosaurs:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Heavy Metal posted:

Here's a question, for long running series with multiple writers especially. When you jump back in and don't remember many things, how much do you stop to look stuff up, or just go with the flow?

I almost never look stuff up. I would get random comics in the 90's (literally "3 issues for the price of 1" bags that not only had random issues, but I couldn't see what the third one in the middle of the bag was). Now, my reading club is going through events and I'm not bothering looking up anything that lead up to the event, so I'm lost like 50% of the time.

I dunno, it's just fine for me. I don't know who a character is or whatever, but I get a good feel for the story being told (and boy, do a lot of the big crossover events feel "crappy"!) and I could go and read back issues if it interested me.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on, that sounds like a cool way to do it. I also had those random flea market comic packs sometimes. Bloodshot, king of the flea market, was a key character in those.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Heavy Metal posted:

I reread the last arc/few issues that I had read before I stopped. Even if the specific details aren't relevant it jogs my memory and gets me back into the right frame of mind.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Nice, for me I'd probably take a peak at the previous issue if it's been forever.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Bizzaro is either a failed clone of Superman or an inhabitant of a parallel universe/planet where things are backwards compared to our reality. He's got Superman's super strength and invulnerability, but talks backwards and is not exactly evil, but usually more just simple minded. He's not poisoned by green kryptonite, but one of the other colors does effect him.

Instead of Heat Vision and Ice Breath, he has Ice Vision and Fire Breath. Does he have an "opposite" of x-ray vision? Can he not see through clear glass?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

Bizzaro is either a failed clone of Superman or an inhabitant of a parallel universe/planet where things are backwards compared to our reality. He's got Superman's super strength and invulnerability, but talks backwards and is not exactly evil, but usually more just simple minded. He's not poisoned by green kryptonite, but one of the other colors does effect him.

Instead of Heat Vision and Ice Breath, he has Ice Vision and Fire Breath. Does he have an "opposite" of x-ray vision? Can he not see through clear glass?

It actually depends on the version. It's been portrayed as "the ability to see through lead (and only lead)" "X-Rays except the bad kind that gently caress you up real bad" "He doesn't have X-Ray vision but instead X-Ray hearing that can hear through everything but lead" "Instead of X-Ray Vision it's Solid Vision which makes anything they look at more solid" etc.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

CzarChasm posted:

Paging Slim Goodbody

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Disco Pope posted:

Has it ever been discussed if Batman comes out earlier and stays out later in Winter or how he adjusts to less darkness in Summer? Like, if you get mugged at 9.30pm on a balmy July night is it just "gently caress you, then"?

Edit: I know this sounds kind of flip, but I wonder if it's ever been a plot element.

I remember in the Knightfall novelization, which was probably written by Dennis O'Neil because it seems like he wrote all the Batman novels, it's commented that Batman 'Never appeared before dark, and seldom before 11'. The exception being Bane and co decided to blast down Arkham at like 7 PM, so it takes an extra moment to grab Batman's attention.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cornwind Evil posted:

I remember in the Knightfall novelization, which was probably written by Dennis O'Neil because it seems like he wrote all the Batman novels, it's commented that Batman 'Never appeared before dark, and seldom before 11'. The exception being Bane and co decided to blast down Arkham at like 7 PM, so it takes an extra moment to grab Batman's attention.

It was indeed written by O'Neil. It was kind of cool to see Batman's thought processes right before he plans on taking people down.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Cornwind Evil posted:

Batman only coming out at night was very much a thing changed after CoIE.

2 of the biggest negatives that happened to modern Batman were his omniscience preparedness and the virtual abandonment of him being Bruce.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
It was barely tenable even in the best circumstances in his solo titles and completely unworkable in a shared universe, but I always had a fondness for the "urban legend" Batman. It's definitely scarier if the criminals aren't even sure if there is a Batman, let alone what he can do and how he operates so they can counter-plan, y'know?

Bruce ought to let JLA members take the cowl out for a spin on random nights, just so that the criminals in jail are like "yeah, loving Batman walked right through the wall and got me" and another one's like "I dunno about that, if anything he seemed too solid to me, I unloaded an entire shotgun clip in his face and he didn't even blink" and a third guy's going "no I'm telling you, he turned into a grizzly bear" and everyone mocks that dude for making up obvious bullshit.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

It was barely tenable even in the best circumstances in his solo titles and completely unworkable in a shared universe, but I always had a fondness for the "urban legend" Batman. It's definitely scarier if the criminals aren't even sure if there is a Batman, let alone what he can do and how he operates so they can counter-plan, y'know?

Bruce ought to let JLA members take the cowl out for a spin on random nights, just so that the criminals in jail are like "yeah, loving Batman walked right through the wall and got me" and another one's like "I dunno about that, if anything he seemed too solid to me, I unloaded an entire shotgun clip in his face and he didn't even blink" and a third guy's going "no I'm telling you, he turned into a grizzly bear" and everyone mocks that dude for making up obvious bullshit.

"Any of you guys noticed that Batman has a beard nowadays? And he just shoots people with arrows instead of using those batarangs?"

"Are you sure that wasn't Green Arrow?"

"Buddy I know my colors, the arrows weren't green"

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I’m telling you, Batman was bright red and constantly making jokes when he punched me with his very stretchy arm!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

thetoughestbean posted:

I’m telling you, Batman was bright red and constantly making jokes when he punched me with his very stretchy arm!

I don't know why he wears those sunglasses though, weird look...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

I'm thinking about that episode of Superman: TAS where Superman has to stand in for Batman

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Should've known Batman was a phony when he called me a "poozer" and flew away in a green streak.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Inkspot posted:

Should've known Batman was a phony when he called me a "poozer" and flew away in a green streak.

Ironically that's just Hal, he just picked up Kilowog's salty language

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Question about the 90s X-Men cartoon series, in the opening where listing all the character names when they get to Beast he's listed as "the Beast" is there a reason for that?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
They just pulled it from the series when he blue'd himself.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
It was pretty consistent even before that, at least based on the original run of X-Men covers:

The Beast is pretty consistently called "The Beast", as as "The Hulk", "The Thing", "The Human Torch", and "The Wasp" in the early days.
Angel/"The Angel" is less consistent.
It's never "The Iceman" or "The Cyclops" that I can find, though "Ice Man" is occasionally thrown out, as seen above.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rolling into a similar question, did they ever give a reason for why Jean's code name never gets used?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

because Jean Grey is way punchier and more memorable than Marvel Girl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

She was just “Jean Grey” in the comics at that time too. “Marvel Girl” is kind of a lame hero name, so probably once the character was brought back to life they wanted to dump that and Phoenix, since that was a different character and her daughter from the future was also going by the Phoenix name in the comics at the time. And Jean does go by Phoenix for the Phoenix stories in the cartoon.