Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Yeah there's a lot of styles that are close - the noses also made me think of British cartooning legend Tony Husband - but nothing that fully lines up. Thanks for the answers so far!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

The Amiga comment made me think of Rayman, but that was 1995, although wiki says Ancel sketched him around 1992. I can also see elements of Asterix.

It's kinda why I think pastiche. I can see common elements leading to some generic skateboard design that then takes on a life of its own. I think what makes this frustrating is that I "recognize" the style from that era but damned if I can figure it out.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I see similar elements in characters like Ready Eddie, the (horrifying to me as a kid) Ready Brek mascot:

https://admascots.fandom.com/wiki/Ready_Eddie

Also, the Nodles Doodles tinned spaghetti mascot was similar.

Morph, I guess, has some similar elements.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
poo poo if the eyes were wider I'd say it was inspired by the Moomins

Or Joe Camel?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
It reminded me very vaguely of Bone, with the big noses and generally stark white skin. I know that's not it, but it's where I went to first.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!
Fallen Rib
I found Alabaster: Wolves and Grimmer Tales at a yard sale and picked them up because they were cheap and quite enjoyed them. When I looked into the titles it seems like they came out between 2012-2016 and nothing since and I can't really get a reading order although Grimmer Tales definitely comes after Wolves. Wondering if the story continues on after Grimmer Tales. I saw that there is another trade but I think the release date for that was before Grimmer Tales.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

CzarChasm posted:

It reminded me very vaguely of Bone, with the big noses and generally stark white skin. I know that's not it, but it's where I went to first.

This has been bothering me a lot as its right in my generational and geographical sweet spot, but I can't help but wonder if that style is just really easy, and it's an amalgamation of various influences. I wonder if some Spliffy/Eclipse/Dready clothing is making in in there?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I don't really own any comic books, so I'm new to the various style of protectors out there. Anyone know of any bag and board companies that make protectors for taller euro style magazines? Euro mags tend to be 11.75" - 12", so don't really fit in US style mag protectors. I know some make larger sizes for LIFE magazines, but those are then way too big for euro mags.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I don't really own any comic books, so I'm new to the various style of protectors out there. Anyone know of any bag and board companies that make protectors for taller euro style magazines? Euro mags tend to be 11.75" - 12", so don't really fit in US style mag protectors. I know some make larger sizes for LIFE magazines, but those are then way too big for euro mags.

The Treasury Bags here look like they'd be close-ish. Graded may work, too: https://officialcomicproline.com/collections/comic-book-bags

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

I'm having a complete brain fart, and I'm having trouble remembering the title and author. It's a legendary writer, and it's set in a city full of superheroes, and it's usually single issue stories.

It has one of the best comics I've ever read where a universe reset happens and a wife and husband wake up married to different people but still feel this longing, like something has been taken from them.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Lucifunk posted:

I'm having a complete brain fart, and I'm having trouble remembering the title and author. It's a legendary writer, and it's set in a city full of superheroes, and it's usually single issue stories.
Kurt Busiek's Astro City?

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

Yes! God, I was getting so frustrated. Thanks!

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Lucifunk posted:

It has one of the best comics I've ever read where a universe reset happens and a wife and husband wake up married to different people but still feel this longing, like something has been taken from them.

That Astro City issue about the regular people in a universe reset is gold.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
It was Astro City #1/2, a special issue sold by Wizard: The Guide to Comics. (But I'm sure it is collected in one of the TPBs.)

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

It was Astro City #1/2, a special issue sold by Wizard: The Guide to Comics. (But I'm sure it is collected in one of the TPBs.)

It is, "Confession" I think.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

SiKboy posted:

It is, "Confession" I think.

Correct, along with Vol. 1 of the recent "Metrobook" collections.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
The Nearness of You. One of my very favorite single issue comics. It's collected edition already got covered, but it also has a sequel over a couple issues starting in #50, which is itself collected in Vol 17: Aftermaths.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Is there any specific way to read Astro City? Just the trades in release order? I've enjoyed the little bit I've read

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
That's how I'd do it, yeah. The series has been pretty consistently great through the whole thing right from the beginning and you'll know from issue one if you're going to vibe with it.

There's 17 volumes of the main series, issues 1-52. The Metrobook collections seem to be for completists, those include side stories and one shots, but for the first time through I'd probably stick with just the normal trades.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
If you have access to Hoopla through your public library, they should have Astro City Metrobook volumes 1-4, which would be a fantastic way to read the series for the first time.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I'm making my way through the metrobook myself right now. Will have to add volumes 3 & 4 to my wishlist. It's really good stuff.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I assumed the metro books were meant to replace the trades, when I started reading astro city... jesus decades ago there were only a few trades, then the dark age thing emerged, then the later series, etc. It made it kinda hard to follow, so a one stop shop is how I'd start.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!
Fallen Rib
Be aware that Astro City ages in "real time" so a lot of characters appear over and over again but have full on development and life events. The trades can be read separately as stand alones that tell great stories but reading them in order (especially the DC/Vertigo stuff) really enhances the experience as you get to see the characters age.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Also, the Astro City story "Tarnished Angel" will probably make you cry

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I've read the first volume of Astro City and enjoyed it very much I've bought the second ready to read it.

Thanks to Humble Bundle I've read The Pro and as it's written by Ennis I'm guessing it's a send up of super hero comics but loving hell what was he going for?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

bessantj posted:

Thanks to Humble Bundle I've read The Pro and as it's written by Ennis I'm guessing it's a send up of super hero comics but loving hell what was he going for?
"Superhero comics are dumb and bad and childish and you are dumb and bad and childish for liking them, please do not question why I can't stop loving writing them and what that says about me", same as everything else he's ever written.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!
Fallen Rib

bessantj posted:

I've read the first volume of Astro City and enjoyed it very much I've bought the second ready to read it.

Wouldn't it be funny if a prostitute got superpowers and hung out with all the sexually repressed heroes which is basically what heroes are anyway. Ain't that funny. Look at me I am laughing already.

At least it had fun Amanda Conner art.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

"Superhero comics are dumb and bad and childish and you are dumb and bad and childish for liking them, please do not question why I can't stop loving writing them and what that says about me", same as everything else he's ever written.

It seems like that must be it and it's so weird. There's a part in there where the titular Pro makes a point that while the heroes do defeat the bad guy they don't fundamentally change the real problems in society and it's a good point that's probably already been explored better in other comics.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Madkal posted:

Wouldn't it be funny if a prostitute got superpowers and hung out with all the sexually repressed heroes which is basically what heroes are anyway. Ain't that funny. Look at me I am laughing already.

At least it had fun Amanda Conner art.

Don't forget the "cops are so much more competent and cooler than those lame-rear end superheroes" bits.

Also, the sexually-repressed-superheroes part was done better, and twenty years earlier, in Marshal Law.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Selachian posted:

Don't forget the "cops are so much more competent and cooler than those lame-rear end superheroes" bits.

Yeah, while I didn't dislike Hitman's Who Dares Wins a lot of it is just Tommy and Nat gaping at how cool and badass the SAS are.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Basically never read a Garth Ennis comic. If you desperately need a hit of cynicism for whatever reason, go to Ellis, who can sometimes rise above or channel it into humor, and isn't afraid to mock himself.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I dunno, I dig most of his Punisher MAX and his first two arcs in Hellblazer are probably the best two arcs in an incredibly strong book that ran for 300 issues. Preacher has aged a little poorly, but there's good bits in that too.

Edit: I also dug his book about the Soviet lady sniper in WW2.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Ennis can do a kind of tough-guy sentimentality at times which can work for me and be oddly sincere and works for war comics in particular, but holy poo poo, he does not understand superheroes and somehow that's everyone else's fault.

Preacher was great when I was a kid, but has aged like milk.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Disco Pope posted:

Ennis can do a kind of tough-guy sentimentality at times which can work for me and be oddly sincere and works for war comics in particular, but holy poo poo, he does not understand superheroes and somehow that's everyone else's fault.

Preacher was great when I was a kid, but has aged like milk.

Yeah, I still tear up at the end of Closing Time but a lot of other chunks of Hitman just don't hold up.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Also, the Astro City story "Tarnished Angel" will probably make you cry

I've long wondered if in Astro City:Confessional, the. Fact that for the Confessor of all the vampire powers he does show, he never 'Becomes a Bat' is a deliberate meta-joke.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Thinking about it, I can say Ennis has one series that I would actually recommend, to be fair it is still insane insulting at times, however Hitman is worth a read. That is a legit solid comic with an ending that made me weep, you just have to get past some usual Ennis poo poo. It also has one of the best Superman stories ever told floating in there somewhere.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TGG posted:

Thinking about it, I can say Ennis has one series that I would actually recommend, to be fair it is still insane insulting at times, however Hitman is worth a read. That is a legit solid comic with an ending that made me weep, you just have to get past some usual Ennis poo poo. It also has one of the best Superman stories ever told floating in there somewhere.

For somebody who hates superheroes and spent a two-issue story arc making fun of Green Lantern he absolutely got Superman in a single issue which is hard to reconcile.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
This could be faulty memory or me just having bad taste at the time, but I seem to recall his short arc in Spider-Man's Tangled Web being not too bad and showing that he could get the character if he wanted to, and I'm not beyond finding his take on Wolverine in The Punisher really loving funny in a Looney Tunes way.

I don't know, I get cape fatigue sometimes too, but I really resent that shortly after I got into American superhero comics as a teen, the trendy thing to do was to write about how you're too cool for the subject matter.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ennis can write some really great stuff, but he constantly gets in his own way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

TGG posted:

It's good but the arc with the SAS is goddamn terrible. Ennis has such a hardon for those guys it makes no sense.

I still love Preacher even though it is capital P Problematic.