Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Scott yelling "MMMMAAARRRVVVEEELLLL GGGIIIRRRLLLL" doesn't have the same ring to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Grey ladies have never had the best luck with codenames.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dawgstar posted:

The Grey ladies have never had the best luck with codenames.

They need to get with the Times.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
It's a shame that the Phoenix Force had to go and become a whole thing with a lot of negative things tied to it because Phoenix as a codename for Jean is really cool. Also the original Phoenix outfit is dope.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 6, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I honestly like Jean just going by her normal name because it kind of emphasizes the whole "We are people" thing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ImpAtom posted:

I honestly like Jean just going by her normal name because it kind of emphasizes the whole "We are people" thing.

Has there ever been a mutant who did the opposite? Abandon their former name and truly adopt their "codename" as their actual name?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Logan? No one ever calls him James

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lobok posted:

Has there ever been a mutant who did the opposite? Abandon their former name and truly adopt their "codename" as their actual name?

I think a bunch of people did at the start of the Krakoa era.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Lobok posted:

Presumably Forge, since he doesn't even have a canon birth name.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rochallor posted:

Presumably Forge, since he doesn't even have a canon birth name.

Oh, sweet, I've never even thought about what his other names would be.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Lobok posted:

I think in a few Ultimate X-Men comics Magneto spends a panel or two telling mutants to "shed" their human names and embrace their homo superior names.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There is that scene in X-Men II where Magneto asks Pyro his name and he says “Tommy” or whatever and then Magneto says, “no, I mean your real name,” which is presumably Pyro.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

I AM GRANDO posted:

There is that scene in X-Men II where Magneto asks Pyro his name and he says “Tommy” or whatever and then Magneto says, “no, I mean your real name,” which is presumably Pyro.

Pyro has no problem being himself, which these days means the person with a face tattoo.

Marauders 2019 #2

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I forgot Kate got knuckle tattoos. I think most artists did, too, lol

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Endless Mike posted:

I forgot Kate got knuckle tattoos. I think most artists did, too, lol

It was just a phase

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
She died and got rezzed since then. The knuckle tattoos got eaten by fishies along with the rest of that body.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I feel like the knuckle tats would have been in her "what I want back when rezzed" list like Karma still missing a leg and the adamantium in Wolverine.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I thought the whole idea of the Marauder crew getting tats was that they wouldn't come back when rezzed, so it's proof of how badass they are by going on dangerous missions and coming back alive.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Actually, didn't Kate get the knuckle tats after she was rezzed? She didn't have a grudge against Shaw until Shaw killed her.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

She got HOLD FAST when she became captain of the Marauder and then replaced it with KILL SHAW after he killed her

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think the first set gets buried because she made out with the tattoo girl in a full page splash and people remember the smooch more

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
Does anyone know why the cover of Citizen V and the V Battalion is retitled Marvel Universe on Marvel Unlimited?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Was Cyclops being a loser part of the original X-men series or a Claremont thing or is it just a case that the other X-Men becoming cooler and he was just blander by comparison and they leaned into it?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

He was a bit of a depressed mope after his wife died, but he did have some significant moments of being awesome in the Claremont run. The era of post Claremont until New X-Men is probably the one I know the least about so maybe he was terrible during that? I think a lot of it comes directly from the 90s cartoon.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I don't know if Cyclops has ever been a loser in the comics, he's rad at a pretty consistent basis.

But when they adapt it, well, there can only be one male lead and Wolverine is much more popular.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

My memory of original Cyclops is he's a lot closer to his analogue in Umbrella Academy, Luther. He's not a loser per se, but he spends a whole bunch of time doing nothing but being team leader and Xavier's #2 and internally monologuing about how much stuff and Jean he'd like to do if literally anybody else could be the team leader and #2 instead, while Xavier tells him he can't do stuff and Jean because he's team leader and #2 to a guy who reads minds and also wants to do Jean.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, from the start Cyclops was pigeonholed as the serious, responsible, no-fun dude. That's a hard character to make likeable -- especially in the Claremont era when he's constantly butting heads with Wolverine, the cool rebel loner.

On top of that, he was also constantly moping about how dangerous his powers are and how he could never just take his glasses/visor off without hurting people, which ended up making him even more of a wet blanket.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 29, 2024

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I do feel like for a stretch leading up to Grant's X-Men Cyclops wasn't a loser but he also wasn't very dynamic. Especially in the morass of the late 90's. Grant said Cyclops is their favorite X-Men and wrote him like that which certainly helped.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Selachian posted:

Yeah, from the start Cyclops was pigeonholed as the serious, responsible, no-fun dude. That's a hard character to make likeable -- especially in the Claremont era when he's constantly butting heads with Wolverine, the cool rebel loner.

On top of that, he was also constantly moping about how dangerous his powers are and how he could never just take his glasses/visor off without hurting people, which ended up making him even more of a wet blanket.

I think that second part is compounded by Rogue being right there and her version of that is very much a case of side-eyeing Scott and "oh, wow, that must suck, having to wear glasses while you and your gal smooch... wonder what THAT's like..."

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
This is the part where I note that, for a couple issues during the original run, Scott worked as a college radio DJ.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Air Skwirl posted:

He was a bit of a depressed mope after his wife died, but he did have some significant moments of being awesome in the Claremont run. The era of post Claremont until New X-Men is probably the one I know the least about so maybe he was terrible during that? I think a lot of it comes directly from the 90s cartoon.

Claremont did intend to write him out permanently as a regular character when he quits the team to go live with his wife and son in Alaska, back when his wife was just a regular person who happened to look like his dead girlfriend. That might be why he gets more static in the 90s.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
I always thought of Wolverine and Cyclops in the vein of Kirk and Picard. Kirk is the kind of man who'd be great to have an adventure with, then have a beer with afterwards. Picard is the kind of man who inspires people to willingly follow him into hell. A lot of people don't realize how vital such a person, and character, is until they either experience it, or the lack of one, in real life (the real life equivalent, that is).

Still, it's very doable to write someone as the serious, herding the cats leader guy without making him a stick in the mud. Writers that just default to that sort of stuff are just lazy.

(I'm also not saying Kirk can't lead, but he's just 'good' at it. Picard is exceptional. And when you're flying a ship of people around, being exceptional at that sort of thing gets better dividends, methinks)

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I always remember in the 60s comics Scott was always mopey that he could never get with Jean because of his 'awesome power' which always made me laugh. He has eye beams, Jean could curve his eye beams so they hit him in the back of the head.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

bessantj posted:

I always remember in the 60s comics Scott was always mopey that he could never get with Jean because of his 'awesome power' which always made me laugh. He has eye beams, Jean could curve his eye beams so they hit him in the back of the head.

I remember one scene from the Claremont era where Jean (post-Phoenix) is able to simply hold back Scott's eye beams so they can get romantic without the glasses in the way.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Selachian posted:

I remember one scene from the Claremont era where Jean (post-Phoenix) is able to simply hold back Scott's eye beams so they can get romantic without the glasses in the way.

I wonder if Sue Storm could put up a small force field so the beams don't go anywhere if she and Scott had an affair.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

bessantj posted:

I wonder if Sue Storm could put up a small force field so the beams don't go anywhere if she and Scott had an affair.

Paging Vulpes

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Why do Scott's eye beams hurt Mister Sinister as they do?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bessantj posted:

Why do Scott's eye beams hurt Mister Sinister as they do?

They don't. He pretended they did then later decided to stop being hurt by them.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Selachian posted:

So, Jean was confident that she wouldn't lose control in the throws of passion, huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

They don't. He pretended they did then later decided to stop being hurt by them.

That is a most unsatisfying answer, but thank you.