Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Random Stranger posted:

Just to pick it up a little for you, I'm very disappointed that so little of golden age Captain Marvel is collected. There are five archive volumes, a couple of "best of" books, and a decades out of print and horribly expensive edition of The Monster Society of Evil. Even if you get all of that, you've only got about 1/10th of golden age output for Captain Marvel.

DC's always had a problem with what to do with their golden age stuff. There's an audience for it, but it's tiny. Of course, Marvel has done even less with their golden age material...

Really? They have released a good amount in Marvel Masterworks format. I am still pissed that they said they were releasing a trade of The Monster Society of Evil, but cancelled it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

DC has published 110 golden age archives, though very few of them are complete runs (the Spirit, obviously makes a up a huge chunk of that). Their biggest failing is with Captain Marvel who, like I said, they're missing about 90% of his golden age stories but even Batman's archives stopped with about eight years to go until they hit the silver age reprints.

Marvel has printed 30 Masterworks volumes of golden age material. Now in total fairness to Marvel, their golden age library is a lot smaller than DC who absorbed a dozen publishers over the years. So percentage-wise they come out better than DC, but not by much. Also, only the slightest of their golden age masterwork collections are complete. DC managed to at least complete a few of their big projects before they stopped publishing their archives.

Lockheed talked to a giant dragon in a Claremont era issue, but we didn't get to understand the dialog. Since then he's been shown to be intelligent and capable of conversation from time to time, though I don't recall him ever talking to humans (I haven't read that story so I'm not sure that's what you were referring to).

He talk to Brand all the time, but off screen or she was the only one who could understand.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Shameless posted:

Wasn't that because some of the depictions of non-white races in the book is... problematic to say the least. I know, "different times" and all that, and it is a comic book classic, but you can understand them not wanting to reprint.

It sucks, but they are historical documents. If they refuse to reprint anything that is "probematic" then nothing in history would be released. Release it as is with a warning, and see what happens.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

I think it's pretty rare for editors to mandate a character death. I guess the biggest example is Jean Grey.

They also attempted with Nightwing

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

In the recent X-Men Legacy Legion "dies" because that's was Spurrier's plan for the character.

Who?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

So is that the reason Shooter and Byrne had mad beef? Sounds like he had beef with Claremont too.

I tell you reading the wikipedia pages on a lot of the creators, it seems like people in the business don't really like each other very much.

Byrne is a crazy person so it's not shocking that he has beef with everyone. Shooter has just been doing comics for too long. He started when he was 14.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

Huh, so there were zero Thor comics during that time or did they have like robot Thor and Beta Ray Bill comics.

Also, I read the Cap Reborn stuff this weekend, and even though it was pretty obvious that they wanted to bring Steve back pretty quickly, were people mad that they brought him back so soon?

It was obvious that Steve was coming back from the very beginning. I mean in the omnibus the script for his death issue has stuff blacked out. Yeah the only thor comics between Dissassembled and JMS's run were Beta Ray Bill, mini series, and the Robot Thor first appeared in Civil War. Funny enough Miller wanted to bring Thor back for that role, but they told him no.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

There were. Here's the basic recent Thor/Donald Blake timeline.

The Ragnarok event happens and Thor and the other gods are killed/left in a void of nothingness. (2006)
Donald Blake finds Mjolner and is transported to the nothingess/void where he convinces Thor to come back to life and bring all the old Gods back to life. They have their standard swapping bodies relationship (2007)
JMS takes forever to write a handful of issues so the Thor books are finally dragged into another event book with Siege and Fraction takes over after a brief Gillen run (2010)
Thor film comes out and is popular (2011)
Fear Itself a terrible comic which was a Captain America/Thor crossover happens and Thor "dies" for a handful of panels. (2011)
Matt Fraction writes an arc where Donald Blake is written out of existance because he's not in the film. (2012)

From then on Thor is just always Thor.

I thought Ragnarok event was in 2004-2005. I also thought that JMS was told he could write Thor as he wanted until a certain point were he would be brought back into the greater Marvel Universe. Then when that happened with Secret Invasion/Siege, JMS had a hissy fit and left the title.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Wasn't Thor actually supposed to come back during Civil War, since they had that whole thing with Mjolner in Fantastic Four which ended up not being resolved for forever.

Miller wanted him to come back on the pro side and I guess kill someone. The editors told him no, and thats why we got robot thor and another moment that made Tony look awful.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Avengers and X-Men stuff has been using Maria Hill without any appearance from Fury.

The leadership of SHIELD is a clusterfuck. They have Hill, Quake, and Fury all in charge.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

Yeah for sure. Also is Siege era Osborn intended to look like Tommy Lee Jones or am I just face-blind?

Oh its suppose to be Tommy Lee Jones

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

I'm going to start replying to all your posts with pages from The Crossing.

I own the Crossing Omnibus. Who doesn't love Teen Tony?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

That's the one where it turns out that Osborn secretly impregnated Gwen Stacy right?

Who di you think that blond is?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

I think it's Gwen Stacy?

It most certainly is

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

There was a lot of fudging to get most of those centennials.

I think there was a Brian Bendis reply to a question on how exactly some title or other added up to it's milestone number, and it was real silly.

The Captain America and Thor are the best, since they included the issues that did not even have the characters.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rhyno posted:

The Fantastic Four one counts the run of FF which kept going so figure that out. Incredible Hulk included the issues of Hulk which also kept running so it's basically Marvel saying gently caress OFF BUY THIS $8 COMIC. to the fans.

Yeah but that was the only Fantastic Four title. It became a spin off once the original Fantastic Four returned.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

^ They were

Rhyno posted:

Still, they canceled F4, restarted as FF and they brought F4 back alongside. It's cheating!

It would not be the first time. Rememeber all the titles got cancelled and then Heroes Reborn came, and those counted. I was talking about how for Captain America they counted Tales from Suspense starting from issue 1, not when Cap started appearing in it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Also what about the years that X-men was just reprints? Should those count?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Here is the family tree

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rhyno posted:

That chart is incorrect, Adam X is not the 3rd Summers brother. It's Vulcan.

Also some characters that they say are dead, are alive like Cable. Also Vulcan is on the chart.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Schneider Heim posted:

I just finished Alias (great stuff) and towards the end there was a breakout in the Raft. Was it the same breakout in the opening arc of New Avengers, or was that a different thing? Both had the Purple Man in it.

Different. Purple Man appeared in the Breakout arc and Luke Cage was there.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

moot the hopple posted:

He's also in the right spot.

Alex should be second and then Vulcan.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I thought DKen was Vulcan's dad? poo poo, I need to re read some lovely X-Men comics I guess.

I thought Kathrine Summers was pregnant when they were captured and removed the baby after they killed her.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 12, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

I thought Hope's real name is Spaulding and only changed it when Cable adopted her?

From Wikipedia

quote:

During one of the first battles with Bishop, Cable's time traveling device is damaged, so he can only jump into the future, instead of the past, when he needs to escape Bishop each time he finds them. After several jumps into the future, it is revealed that Cable has taken her to the secluded safe haven of New Liberty in the future, where Cable marries a woman named Hope, who is like a mother to the mutant baby.Finding relative peace there, he raises her with Hope until she is seven years old. But then New Liberty is invaded by humanoid insects who called themselves the United States Army, later calling themselves humanoid Blattarians. Cable fights them and leaves New Liberty with his wife and her in order to make sure New Liberty does not fall. After spending months in the wasteland, the family is attacked by the president of the insects, whom Hope manages to save her family from by stabbing the insect in his weak spot, since she has been watching Cable fight. Cable questions the president where he finds out that Bishop, in order to find Hope in the future, has destroyed all the continents in the world and left them uninhabitable, except North America, in order to box them in, find her and kill her. Cable kills the president, and the family moves on. The family encounters a settlement, but are met with resistance. Cable takes care of them easily, but not fast enough, as Hope is shot and dies in Cable's arms while the girl watches. The girl sees Cable bury the closest thing she ever had to a mother and departs with him. After arriving at a church, the pastor asks the name of the child. In that moment, Cable decides to name her Hope Summers, in honor of her adoptive mother.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Overall it's pretty good. It suffers from some crap art here and there but for the most part it's enjoyable. The reboot into Justice Society of America is pretty poo poo from the first issue though.

You gotta love family massacres. I a trying to think has Bendis ever done a mass slaughter on a John's scale?

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 27, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Cornwind Evil posted:

I think it says a lot about the current state of comics that I took a make up joke at complete face value without a second thought.

Marvel has introduced two awesome dogs into their comics in the last couple of years, and due to that you should have assumed that DC would not do the same.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

StumblyWumbly posted:

Invincible definitely started well enough, but Kirkman tends to go into shock value and violence, and his work really lacks the heart that Bendis's USM has.

Also his Ultimate X-men was godawful

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I also like how he wants to have a run of Amazing Spider-man from the 70s as all through the 80 they had crossovers and side books. Thor and Hulk also had crossovers.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

What all did Kirkman write at Marvel? He had a pretty poor run on Ultimate X-Men, he did one of the short, fairly anonymous Captain America runs in between Jurgens leaving and Brubaker taking over, and he had the new Marvel Team-Up he did with Scott Kolins (which was okay up to a point). What else?

An irredeemable run on ant man

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

We need more Circus of Crime appearances.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

Does the Silver Age end when Jack Kirby left Marvel in 1970, or when he left DC in 1975?

Some say when Gwen gets tossed off the bridge.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah but what will they call it when it gets replaced by a new modern age?

They will give it a name like the trade age.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

We're kinda due for a paradigm shift, by the way. The New 52 might end up being a shift point, for the day-and-date digital if nothing else.

The fact that amazon bought comixology might be a shifting point.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, Nick Fury has the Infinity Formula, which is an anti-aging serum. It's been implied that Dum Dum Dugan either was exposed to it himself, or alternately is subject to the same sliding time scale that affects characters like Tony Stark, depending on who's writing him. Black Widow was enhanced by a Russian super-soldier program that accounts for her greatly slowed aging.

Nick had to be dosed every year with the Formula, or he would rapidly reach his real age. But the last samples were recently destroyed, and there was handwaving about there being "enough serum left in his system" for him to age normally from now on. Which doesn't make a lot of sense on the barest reflection, but Bendis, so.

Why are you blaming Bendis for a Brubaker comic in fear itself captain america 7.1 or battle scars?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Madkal posted:

Has Superman ever had any formal training as a fighter, or has he always been a "hit them very hard" kind of guy?

He did fight the greatest

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

"Great Scott! The only way for me to defeat Titanio is to use my Super-Cow Tipping powers."

Next issue: Superman must tap into the ancestral Smallville art of making Moon-shine to take out Black Adam!

Thanks to Reed Richards those cows are Skrulls. :doom:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

Hang on minute, I got this one here it's the one where Superman dies, that's gotta be worth a pretty penny. Superman don't die every day now, do he?

I got X-men 1 and I have 20 copies and there are a bunch of different covers!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

The last three recently in Justice League Dark comics.

Was he completely kept away from the DCU while at Vertigo? I know it was meant to be a big deal when he popped up at the end of Brightest Day.

Yes when he was part of Vertigo he was kept apart from the DCU.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Yeah. I've only been reading Sandman since it went on sale when Overture #1 came out and it's funny how kinda packed with DC stuff it was for the few issues before Vert.
Some of it was really interesting like the issue about Element Girl.

The last storyline has appearances by Superman, Batman, Martian Manhunter, and Darkseid sitting.

Also PREZ!

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Disco Pope posted:

There was a Paul Dini Zatanna one shot he had a major part in in about 2007/8, maybe?

Zatanna was allowed to crossover with Constantine since she was a big part of his back story and past.