Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

Here's a Q: So I'm hype as gently caress about the Flash show and it makes me want to read some Flash comics, but DC doesn't have a digital back catalogue service like Marvel's. How come? Are their licensing issues that Marvel doesn't have or something? Seems to me like the quickest way to lose in a market where there are only two competitors is to let the other guy do something you aren't doing.

well there is comixology and it has a bunch of great Wally comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

Sure, sure, but I'm talking about a subscription service. I know I can go out and buy individual books either physically or digitally but at the rate I read books it gets real expensive real fast.

Basically why isn't there DC Unlimited?

Marvel does it and therefore DC wants nothing to do with it. See also recap pages, a competent trade program, marriages, and more than a handful of books worth reading.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Zachack posted:

Cage and Drew? If they aren't actually married they may as well be.

Cage and Jones are married, and they got married by the best person

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

Jessica's been all "OMG MY BABY WHERES MY BABY" since Civil War so I'm glad she's not around anymore. I didn't figure Bendis would let such a great character get turned into a one note bore fest but he wrote a bunch of the poo poo so I don't know!

He is the only person who has ever wrote her.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Last time I check MA was not written by Bendis which is what my point was.

Okay 5% of her appearances are not Bendis, but my point was that Bendis is the one who created her and made her a great character.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

Who were they going to have get married?

Also, who are the gay DC characters?

Batwomen and Maggie Sawyer. It is why J.H. Williams III and W. Haden Blackman are gone.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

Did they nix the marriage through killing one of the characters, or just editorially?

Editorially.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Uthor posted:

Most annoyingly, they said they would finish the arc (2-3 more issues), but DC told them not to bother and put on a new team and started a new arc before it could be wrapped up.

Weren't they also building up Killer Croc in the book, and then told them they could not use him?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Madkal posted:

Renee was an awesome character who had a big part in an awesome comic called Gotham Central. It was in this comic that it came out that she was a lesbian (thanks to Harvey Dent of all people). Anyway, she had an amazing growth as a character in that series. Then she had even more of an amazing growth as a character when she became the Question in 52, when Vic Sage died. She had a few adventures of her own as the Question, and it also came out that she used to be lovers with current Batwoman. Then Nu52 happened and she was erased from existence.

Thanks now I miss Renee and Vic an how awesome they were.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Alien Rope Burn posted:

She hasn't detectived anything since Alias ended, I'm pretty sure? She's put on her old superhero outfit a few times, but seems to have entirely given that up.

She was an investigator for The Pulse.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

They got Squirrel Girl as a nanny and Jessica kind of became a New Avenger for a couple of issues towards the end of the Bendis run. I think that probably anything interesting they were going to do with here got swallowed up by Fear Itself and she never really did anything.

Bendis's entire Avengers run after Siege was just there. The stories all seemed like rehashes of stuff he already did and he seemed like he did not want to be writing them anymore.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

I see....

Also today I saw that Galactus is on the cover or Ultimate Cataclysm, so are they retconning Gah Lak Tus or what here?

Due to Age of Ultron Galactus was shifted over to the Ultimate Universe.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

So does that mean 616 is currently Galactus free?

He is in the Negative Zone right now so he could easily return to 616

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

Why does Groot go from talkative to only saying "I am Groot" starting in Annihilation Conquest?

He gets burned up and when he grew back that's all he could say.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Uthor posted:

Is it the guy writing the current series, explaining why it's not being aggressively ignored?

It was Chris Claremont the guy who defined Nightcrawler and made him a popular character.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

AvX was bad and the Battle of the Atom event wasn't the best, but other than that, I'm fully enjoying the Bendisified X-Men.

AvX was worth it for the crab whales. :colbert:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

Are the Thunderbolts books right after Siege where Luke Cage takes over the team any good? I don't know that I've read anything by Jeff Parker before.

Yes Jeff Parker is really good.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

And then that goes right into the Charles Soule, correct? Which I've also heard is very good.

No there is an awful Way run.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

Did they ever do anything with that? I've only seen pallette swapped C&D once, and that was to get punched in one panel by Superior Spiderman.

Also, does Avengers World replace an Avengers title or is it a third title?

Its the fourth title.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

Are you counting AI or AU or is there another?

Avengers, New Avengers, Mighty Avengers, Avengers World, and the fifth is Uncanny Avengers.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Madkal posted:

As someone who hasn't read Avengers....ever, what is the difference between all these titles?

Avengers is them dealing with huge threats
New Avengers is the Illuminati contemplating blowing up alternate universes.
Avengers world is ??
Mighty Avengers is more street level. They are dealing with vampires right now.
Uncanny Avengers is a mix of Avengers and X-men. They are currently dealing with Kang and the Apocalypse twins/time travel poo poo.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Many of the descriptions are out of date now.

In New Avengers they have moved on to fighting the Justice League, while in Avengers it's Even More Time Travel Shenanigans.

However, the time travel shenanigans are due to Cap's actions in New Avengers. You also find out that Clint does get his dog back.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

Yeah I'm reading the Bruce Jones stuff immediately before the Pak run and whoooo buddy, did that fall off a cliff fast. The first story was cool and then, ughhh. Hmmm I've analyzed the blood of this Bruce Banner clone and it is patently different from the original Bruce Banner, he doesn't have radiation and can't change into a Hulk. Of course not, says the clone, if I could change into the Hulk then the evil shadowy orginization I work for would've kept me on as a Hulk. Bruce Banner turn into the Hulk so we can have some of your blood to save Betty. No I will not turn into the Hulk in front of this guy because he might have tricks. Well, says Doc Samson, if he has tricks why wouldn't he just use them here now? Because, says Actual Bruce, you are here Doc Sampson so he might think you will tip the balance. So instead I will go off by myself with the Clone and turn into the Hulk anyways. But OH NO the clone CAN turn into a Hulk and when they come back we won't know which one survived the original or the clone because we can't do a blood test to tell the difference.

The covers were awesome. The story inside not that much.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 1, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I think its a tie in with the Spider-man event in which every Spider-man is involved.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mr. Maltose posted:

She looked like 8~10 when Steve first broke out with the baby in Cap, but a major issue is that asking a comic book artist to draw a child is such a crapshoot she might have been 5 or 15.

In the very issue in question she mentions being 23

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

She's not exactly human and was vat-grown, she could be 2 and it wouldn't really be an issue, would it? Like, no one would argue a girl making out with Ben Reilly was a pedophile just because he's technically 5? It's not like she looks or acts like a child or even a teen.

Well they show her as a child when Ian was a baby, and time moves differently so she lived 23 years.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Unmature posted:

Dude, it's mine too. I want Godzilla to gently caress up a bunch of sentinels that identify him as a mutant. Then they have to build a new sentinel called MECHAGODZILLA.

I want this

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Patrick Spens posted:

Wait, so Wolverine has not actually died yet, but they're releasing the comics that deal with the fallout/aftermath of him dying? Why is that happening?

They released the solicitations of books they are releasing in October so retailers can order them.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

prefect posted:

Didn't they make Janet part-actual-wasp around the time Teen Tony was Iron Man?

What I'm saying is everybody should read "The Crossing".

You can get it here
http://www.amazon.com/Avengers-The-Crossing-Bob-Harras/dp/0785162038/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1406046839&sr=8-4&keywords=the+crossing+marvel

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

A mother box.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Have any of the characters from Preacher shown up in a more recent comic book?

No since Preacher is its own universe. They are not part of the larger DC/Vertigo Universe.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

I'm sure God has shown up here or there! :v:

God died.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Uh, that wasn't in THE BIBLE, canon of all canon, so no, I don't think so.

The preacher rear end in a top hat version did.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Yes, yes it is.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

Sure, but be advised that this is not the team from the movie. Everyone from the movie is in it but there are also a ton of other people. Groot also says stuff besides "I am Groot". If you have the money/wherewithal try to read the Annihilation stuff as well. Also I don't like how that dude draws Rocket.

I am pretty sure he does only say I am Groot in that as it was in Conquest that he "died" and returned with that trait.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

prefect posted:

There's a difference between the background you need and the background you might want. Or should want.

Is Vance Astrovik in the movie?

Nope

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

lifg posted:

The bundle is nice, but it's not too-great a deal. I think it's somehow cheaper to get the trades of GoG on comixology.

Really? The bundle is 22.99 right now, and the trades are 3.99, 10.99, 12.99, and 10.99

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

SiKboy posted:

Hustons run was great, Finches run was okay, Bendis shat the bed entirely*. The current run with Ellis seems pretty good so far, we can only hope that Ellis doesnt get bored and wander off before finishing it though. If you like those you can check out some of the older runs (although he has a really schizophrenic character history, hence the modern version of the character to try and explain all the different interpretations through the years).

*In the interests of balance I should maybe mention that I love Powers and liked Alias, but think pretty much everything else that I've read of Bendis has varied in quality between "okay" and "terrible tone-deaf self important poo poo with no regard for previous characterisation". Hes good when writing his own stuff but I dont think he plays well with other peoples toys.

What about Daredevil?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

SiKboy posted:

I have to admit, i havent read much of his Daredevil. I have heard good things, but that was from someone who enjoyed his avengers run, so I didnt pay much attention. Its a character I'm not particularly fond of eing written by a writer I'm not a fan of, so I jst didnt read it.

It is criticly acclaimed and one of the best runs ever on the character. His Ultimate Spider-man is also amazing and has been since issue 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Who's Iron Lad? All my Avengers knowledge is post dissassembled.

Read the first Young Avengers. He is a young Kang who combined with Vision.