Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Waterhaul posted:

Honestly that was an interesting post and while continuity is something that can be easily ignored I think for a character like Magneto who is basically a walking contradiction acknowledging his dumb past is important. It's not integral to reading revamped #1s but it is integral to the character.

Why? Why is it important to acknowledge all of 1-21? What exactly is going to be missing if Bunn decides that his Magneto story is going to be 4, the first two X-Men movies, 18, 21, and maybe a bit of peppering from 1, and gently caress the rest it didn't happen?

Hell, it's even canon that any writer can ignore everything after 8 or so (I'll assume E&C could correctly identify the start date) given the ending of X-Men Legacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Edge & Christian posted:

I haven't read X-Men Legacy (any of them, really) so I don't really know why that would be canon. I know they keep doing things to de-age him, but did they say like "X-Men #175-400 never happened! It was a dream!"?
Kinda. Massive ending spoilers for Spurrier's just-ended run: Legion erases himself from ever existing except as a memory to the one person who wants to remember him. It came across as a pretty direct response to Gillen's ending to JiM, and Spurrier addresses the issue of canon in his end notes. I just don't have the encyclopedia of history you do and can't pinpoint where Legion first showed up in relation to Magneto's history.

quote:

The problem with saying "gently caress the rest" really depends on what you mean by saying "gently caress the rest". It's cool to politely ignore things. It's totally cool that (by and large) the past decade or so worth of Spider-Man books have politely ignored Peter's evil robot parents, Aunt May's death being faked, Nathan Lubensky, Sins Past, the Clone Saga, The Other, etc. Politely ignoring is the best thing to do.

The problem comes when a story goes "gently caress the rest, it didn't happen." Because fine, maybe for the purposes of Cullen Bunn's Magneto comic it's probably fine to say gently caress THIS gently caress YOU SECRET WARS NEVER HAPPENED, AVX NEVER HAPPENED, HOUSE OF M NEVER HAPPENED, GENOSHA ISN'T EVEN A THING, THE gently caress ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT, WHAT THE gently caress IS A GENOSHA GET THAT OUT OF MY FACE YOU PIECE OF poo poo". But Cullen Bunn's Magneto is probably going to have other characters appear eventually. Other characters with relationships to Magneto. Magneto's relationships to those characters are predicated on past actions.

It would be kind of dumb if the Avengers showed up and he was all "there's my favorite daughter Wanda! How are you, honey? And who is this other young lady? Rogue? I don't believe we've met!"
That's not how I read what I quoted because I largely agree with what you posted, although I would also opine that I don't see anything wrong with Bunn going completely off the ranch if it means a better story. Granted, change enough and the question of "why is this called Magneto when it's a story about a bald older guy who gets sent back in time to hunt cursed guns that lock the gate of hell in the old west" will start to crop up, but I'm not going to reject out of hand a story about a metal-controlling holocaust survivor just because in this version he has a good relationship with his daughter. Creators ideally would have the freedom to use character history if desired, not because of some obligation.

But what you posted, to me, doesn't come across as "acknowledging his dumb past". It comes across as using the current snapshot of character and its relationships and telling a story from there.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

zooted heh posted:

I have a few questions about the marvel now relaunch. Im fairly new to comics and looking at all the titles that make up the now storylines. whats the difference between all the wovlerine comics? are they just seperate stories or do they cross over at all? same with captain america. he has a solo book but hes also fetured in the avenger titles. do the stories touch on what they are doing in the other solo stories? also I know this isnt the recommendation thread but ive picked up superior spiderman and im wondering what other stores you guys suggest I read as well.

Wolverine is an ongoing series about Wolverine and touches on other stories (this is the origin of Wolverine being killable) . Wolverine and the x-men is really x-men school co-starring Wolverine, although there is more to it than that, and touches on other x-books. Savage Wolverine is a stand-alone anthology series from different writers/artists and has largely been pretty great.

I'm not caught up on cap but his book does not seem to cross over with avengers and I think is self-contained.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Wapole Languray posted:

Can anybody tell me what happens in The Invisibles? Like, I read it all, but I still don't know what actually happens in the story.

The Invisibles do a bunch of poo poo that's largely pointless because our perceived universe collapses/elevates in 2012. Although some of what they did prevented the bad guys from making life super lovely for everyone in the years leading to 2012.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Soonmot posted:

Well, I think Reed and Sue are the only Marvel marriage now. Spidey sold his to the devil, Storm and Panther split during AvX, Mockingbird was a skrull when she marries/divorced Hawkeye. I can't think of any other Marvel marriages. Maybe Kazaar and Shana? Black Bolt and Medusa?

Cage and Drew? If they aren't actually married they may as well be.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

bobkatt013 posted:

Marvel does it and therefore DC wants nothing to do with it. See also recap pages, a competent trade program, marriages, and more than a handful of books worth reading.

I thought DC historically had a different rights structure that would make something like unlimited more difficult. Not impossible and for recent stuff it should be identical but for some reason I think older Marvel stuff has the rights sitting with just Marvel.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Dr. Hurt posted:

When exactly did SHIELD go from being a behind-the-scenes spy agency to public knowledge? Have people in the Marvel universe always been at least slightly aware that SHIELD existed even if they had no idea what they actually did?

I'm pretty sure SHIELD is known of at least as far back as Steranko's run.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Rhyno posted:

Walk in late?

But then you'd miss the trailers!

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Maybe the roots had embedded in a boulder and Colossus was trying to lift himself. Maybe it was Krakatoa's toe.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

On the AvX bandwagon, but I just recently got Marvel Unlimited, and I'm wondering if there is a suggested read order? or is this a completely self contained side series? The MU app has separate sections, but doesn't really combine them with the main AvX books...

It's pretty self contained but I think reading Wolverine and the xmen first (or up to avx) may help. It also helps that watxm was a really fun book.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Unmature posted:

Is House of M worth reading?

Sure. It's not very long and iirc pretty light reading. I assume it's on Unlimited.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I thought Prophet was supposed to be finished by now so the delays kinda confuse me, especially since it seemed pretty consistent during the main run.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Idran posted:

But again, though, I don't think anyone's questioning the existence of mutant hate. Just how even all civilians in the Marvel Universe seem to automatically know who's a mutant and who isn't. There's never a wave of anti-mutant hatred towards any character that isn't actually a mutant, or a mutant that manages to pass for a non-mutant metahuman and avoid the anti-mutant hate. Large groups, you've got a point, but what about all the less famous superheroes that aren't in the public eye constantly?

It's just kind of surprising that it seems like no one ever even used that as a plot point in Marvel outside Spider-Man in House of M.

Superheroes do a good job of quickly changing into their costume and presenting a heroic face, while mutants go active looking confused and upset about having to use their powers why won't you just leave me alone.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Luchacabra posted:

I can let the isolationism of Wakanda slide in the same way I gloss over why Reed Richards (or Tony Stark, or Hank Pym, or...) doesn't cure cancer. You bring too much of that super science into the civilian world and it's no longer a superhero story; it's a sci-fi story.

The thing that gets me is why everyone in this super advanced society is running around dressed like extras in a Tarzan movie. I can deal with it in the old Kirby books, because I realize they were made in a different time. Also, when Kirby draws a guy in a leopard skin holding a spear, it looks as badass as any Asgardian or New God.

I know this is old at this point, but I saw the Ultimate Avengers 2 cartoon on Netflix not too long ago, and it almost made me wince at how the army of this super advanced nation was running around in the jungle half naked and throwing spears. Sure, they were explosive laser spears or something, but that was hardly an improvement.

Maybe that is not a good example of how Wakanda is portrayed in modern comics, but what little I've seen doesn't make me want to dig any deeper.

If you're an isolated culture based on a combination of high technology and spirit magic/gods why would you abandon traditional garb or weapon styles if they were completely effective in protecting the wearer (via energy shields or whatever)? Particularly if that tech jump only happened in the last 150 years or so and your culture rejects immigration edit: and trade.

Exactly how do you think they should be dressing? And yes I think they have been shown to have armor plate for some troops when needed, same with laser cannons or whatever.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Luchacabra posted:

If you go that route, why aren't they still living in grass shacks? Just put a climate-controlled force bubble over it.

Every skyscraper or bit of city tech looks like any other futuristic society in any other comic, but it's like the only way to get across that the people are African is to dress them like simple, unadvanced tribesmen. Wearing robe-type garments in the city as opposed to business suits is fine at showing different cultural norms, but fielding an army of shirtless men throwing spears is a little tone deaf.

If a some shirtless dudes with bonus glowing science lines and dots can take down any invading force including Thanos alien squad why would they change their garb if there are cultural associations with them? Advancing building technology (and it is mingled with "african" stylings and whatever the whole land of the dead thing is) makes some sense if you want flying cars parking 50 stories up and increased population density but if you handed the US military super technology back in 1860 we would probably still be going to war dressed like Johnny Reb Stomper, doubly so if Lincoln was the spokesperson for a literal national god.

Further it does serve as commentary on imperialism and colonialism that a nation of total rear end kickers has rejected the overwhelmingly dominant military dress styles propagated from British and US military dominance. Those norms are so globally used that wholesale rejection makes a clearer statement than trying to come up with some alternate uniform that carries the concept of battle dress without still overlapping with Western styles, although I guess they could all dress like black panther.

I think accusations of tone deafness (and worse) would make sense if Wakandians were portrayed as a savage horde with cyber spears but they aren't, and are just the opposite.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

My issue with sites with reviews is that the reviews tend to be pretty poorly written, assume a certain amount of familiarity (sometimes fairly, sometimes not) with both the character and running story, and, most annoyingly, tend to be crammed with unexamined biases for or against a character, a writer, a topic, an artist, a style, you name it. The end result are reviews where I can't get a reliable feel for whether the book is good or not, nor do I get interesting criticism. The serialized nature of the medium tends to exacerbate the problem, which is something that the far more popular (and therefore lucrative) medium of television still struggles with.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Lurdiak posted:

I think that's fine as long as you can find a writer who's biases match yours.
To an extent this is true, provided you look to reviews simply as a purchasing guide and hope for the best.

quote:

The idea of a platonic ideal of criticism where all works are judged objectively instead of just getting an idea of if someone who's tastes you agree with enjoyed it or not is a foolish goal.
I guess it's a good thing I didn't argue for that.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Gaz-L posted:

If you're looking for long-form critique, that's a completely different thing. Most people don't go to movie review sites looking for contrasts between Fritz Lang's use of negative space in the frame and how it informs Michael Bay's chaotic action scenes. They want to know if a person whose opinion they agree with liked the movie, so they will have the best chance of picking one they themselves will like.

And trying to claim that you didn't argue for an objective approach when half your post consisted of complaints about unexamined bias is baffling. What should they do? Pretend they don't like anything? Post a 10 paragraph recap of every film, TV show, comic, novel, song, writer, artist, colourist they've ever enjoyed, hated, met or tweeted at?
I'd hope that a professional writer can understand the benefit of operating somewhere between mindless fan and beep boop robot. Examining bias doesn't mean eliminating it, it means recognizing that some of a person's preferences may be too rooted in something specific to be easily conveyed to the reader with a simple declaration of like or dislike, and thus may require more effort from the reviewer to convey those preferences. Examining bias also opens a reviewer up to being challenged by a work and revising or reinforcing their biases through exposure, rather than just reflexively accepting or rejecting something because it checks a box or contains "thing which is bad".

As for long form vs buyers guide, there are plenty of film reviewers who successfully incorporate "what this movie is going for/does/draws from/etc" and "will you have a good time" in a single review, it's not some impossible task.

Zachack fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 13, 2016

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

bobkatt013 posted:

Mike Carey's run is pretty awesome.

I'll take the opposite tack and say that I thought it kinda dawdled in an uninteresting way while the art got progressively worse until the art became distractingly bad. Like sub-Land territory. I wanted to like it but once the zombies/Land hit it just kept sliding downhill.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

UU didn't have jumping on points but it did a really good job on making starting from the beginning easy by largely focusing on 4 core titles (Spidey, F4, Avengers, X) and sticking everything else into miniseries and ordering everything in trades. It also kept those 4 series pretty "isolated" from each other; you could just read UF4 or USM and never think you needed to read some other random book to follow what was going on. Ultimatum is where that kinda fell apart, as it seemed like other than USM everything was a miniseries.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

RandallODim posted:

Batman Odyssey is magnificent.

I thought it was boring. For as ridiculous as it sounds in summary the reading experience is dull and the comic frequently seems to cross into inept, like word bubble placement that lends to unintended incorrect reading order.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Opopanax posted:

Let's not get crazy here, man

No, I agree. Land has his huge problems with characters but his backgrounds, etc looked decent-ish and even the characters generally look passable when they aren't looking at the camera. The back end of F4 was just bad on art. Amateur-hour is how I'd describe it and that would be very kind.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

ImpAtom posted:

Supposedly the idea is that he's from a different cell of Hydra who disagrees with the Red Skull segment and that is why he constantly beats the poo poo out of Hydra, it's Nazi infighting they say is inspired by Man In The High Castle.

If they're using that as the reference then if they keep following it the "out" becomes pretty obvious.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

SiKboy posted:

I havent read the comic in question, and its a long time since I've read anything with Molecule Man in it, but... He's molecule man, if he wasn hungry couldnt he have rearranged molecules from the air to make basically any food?

I kinda took it as MM being "everything" and therefore his hunger was for anything more, which could only exist from outside battleworld. So the burger was new content.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Sinners Sandwich posted:

The budget is...one, maybe two.

But yeah another thing was anxiety over how they'll probably be putting out new collections with the new movie on the way, will check out.

I'd recommend looking at order in the library editions and buying the corresponding trades, I'm pretty sure the first three library editions correspond to the original 6 trades.

Or just buy her the first library edition, although if she has the first collection (Seed of Destruction) it'll be an overlap. A glorious oversized overlap.

Do not buy her Hellboy in Hell. That is for the end.

I don't know what your budget is or if you live in a state with Amazon sales tax (or if you happen to live in the two states that instocktrades charges sales tax to) but if you're willing to spend over $50 for free shipping then IST has the trades at less than $10. Or the library editions at $27.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Unmature posted:

Aw that stinks. Does the Vertigo Shade the Changing Man have any similar issues? I wanna jump into it, but since I only ever see it on lists of Vertigo stuff and not the larger Best Runs conversation very often I wonder if it's in the same group as Ex Machina.

It’s been a year or two since I read all of Shade but the first 25 or so issues were great, the end having something of a resolution to what had been happening. Without spoilers, the next 25 issues go in a pretty different direction that I felt dawdled and included a character I found annoying and tiring (my memory is that it was a “too cool for school” cynic) but it was interesting at times. The remainder of the series changes course again and felt like it was spinning its wheels until it ended another 20 or so issues later, with most characters becoming dull.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Another vote for Franken-Punisher. Space Punisher is pretty good but not what I'd call light-hearted (for Punisher)

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

CzarChasm posted:

Have you seen the panels where 2099 Punisher is talking to the psychiatrist and answers that his age is "38. Caliber." and then jumps out the window? Then you've seen the best it has to offer.

Concur, if you want something similar that's worth your time read old Judge Dredd books or Marshall Law. Punished 2099 feels like a good 12 issue miniseries that goes for three times as long.

I've only read a few issues of Doom 2099 and would be curious on peoples thoughts on that, though. It seemed much more... out there.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Sheriff of Babylon is very good.

If newer (well, new to being translated) books about older stuff are ok then the two Tardi' books It Was the War of the Trenches and Goddamn This War! are excellent tales about how super-lovely WW1 was for a regular soldier.

I've only finished the first Inside Moebius by Jean Giraud but it's good so far, it's about Moebius' thought processes through his characters as he tried to give up smoking pot.

Zachack fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 20, 2018

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I think the last Punisher comics I read were Rucka and Remender so I can't speak to the recent runs, but the character feels much less like a solidified character and more of a springboard for types of stories that a given writer wants to tell and where the marketing cache makes sense to use him. Ennis had him both as a sort of ridiculous semi-anti-MU and as a vessel for Ennis' love of war stories and interest in cold war poo poo/"realism" with MAX. Aaron took MAX to its logically grim end, I'm not certain as a reflection on Ennis's MAX, but definitely something. Remender wanted to play in the Monsterverse and try another variant of Daddy issues. Rucka did spy stories. Fraction was... zany Michael Bay action? 2099 was Dredd. Netflix was PTSD. Space Punisher.

There just isn't any seeming coherence outside of the core attributes of crime hatred, dead family, Vietnam, and high body count, and the last one is all that really matters. And I think because of that, if you retire him you'll just wind up resurrecting him in some other nearly identical form because someone will want to tell a spy story or a war story or a special forces story or whatever and while the look may change it's still just some character that will gun down entire militias, whether they're made up of mafioso, nazis, or space vampires, because someone wants to tell a story where that happens and hews more "realistic".

Madkal posted:

I haven't read it but in his first appearance he tries to kill Spiderman and I think he is definitely set up as a villain, not a simple hero fights hero misunderstanding.
IIRC it's more that he's set up as a threat and "other", not as a hero/villain. Scarlet Witch and Hawkeye I think were more "bad" at first, too.

Zachack fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 6, 2020

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Vincent posted:

I'm reading Justice League Dark and I have a question. Since when can Animal Man call and control animals?

I'm pretty certain he could do this in the Lemire run.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I'll add that during Waids run the first Skull "death" is after he absorbed Cap into the cube in order to kill Hitler, who was trapped inside the cube by Skull and who was being used by neo neo nazis to overwrite reality with Hitler world, because Skull didn't want to share power with Hitler. So Skull making a Cosmic Cube Hate Monger seems a bit out of character!

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

So the new Helstrom series on Hulu is apparently pretty tame on the whole hell thing, which made me wonder: besides Ghost Rider and Blade/Dracula, does any other part of the Marvel U really engage with the Abrahamic belief system besides a few characters being Jewish or Christian or Muslim? I guess Punisher was an angel for a bit but I feel that most extraworldly stuff gets as far away from religion as possible.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Selachian posted:

Do all the Satan-but-not-really demons like Mephisto, Belasco, Satannish, Zarathos, etc., count?

I would say no but I’m really unsure how they’re portrayed these days. Hulk winds up in hell and rescues puck but the whole thing comes across like hell is really crummy but not actually hell. Hell comes across more as a spawn point for things to fight rather then an eternal punishment concept (or whatever Sheol is supposed to be like).

I get that sticking characters in a very bad place works for the stories because it provides impetus for rescue, which is why heaven seems far less common since you’re kinda an rear end for pulling someone away from eternal bliss.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

My memory of the 2008 Unknown Soldier is that it ends fairly abruptly, like it got canceled and got a "wrap it up" issue where another 10+ issues of story get over-compressed so Poochie can return to his home planet.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

SalTheBard posted:

Wonderful! I can just stop thinking about that part and just focus on everything else!

Regardless of the various answers already posted, at least in the comic you can't really stop thinking about that part because the book keeps making it a core part of the storyline. Y, BSG and Lost, in my opinion, are media that ultimately get entrenched in their Mystery Box stories and which get wrongly defended as "being about the characters". If they were really about the characters or the friends we made along the way then they'd stop revolving everyone around the mysteries - it's really easy to have unsatisfying answers to those mysteries so if you know that's going to happen then just get away from it, or at least stop bringing it up over and over again.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I'm halfway through it and so far the mini is the best part. I think my main issue is that the main character is annoying but in a boring way. Yeah he's a teenager but his growth seems too slow given the speed of what happens around him. I read somewhere that the writer (so far) didn't like the character and it shows.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Does all of that make more sense/come across as "normal" if you're reading it monthly? It all sounds very stupid, even by normal stupid standards.

For example, if I was antagonistic towards Hickman, I could probably make a dumb sounding F4/time runs out/secret Wars by really focusing in on the storyline to where Doom ate the Beyonders power (?), but for the most part it all of it plays out "naturally" using the medium to build tension, lean on other plot lines, etc, and also doesn't really lean on Doom that much because he was one of many characters.

But DC really seems to like hanging everything on Batman so that version seems more plausible (and confusing).

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Party Boat posted:

This might be a reach but I'm trying to identify the source for a particular cartooning style that was popular in the UK in the late 80s / early 90s.

The picture above was a reader's submission to Sonic the Comic #30, published July 1994. It's pretty clearly a kid copying a specific style, and it seems oddly familiar to me and a number of other Brits around the same age. However I can't figure out where it originated from. The hooded eyes are quite Garfieldy but the bulbous, shiny noses aren't from there. The in-game designs for the characters in the first Discworld point n click adventure game are also close but the game was released after this drawing.

I've not been able to find anything online and I'm turning to the BSS hive mind in the hopes that this jogs someone else's memory.

It looks a lot like a knock-off Don Martin in that there are specific features (eyes, mouth sorta, bulbousness) that seem very reminiscent of his work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Obviously not perfectly, though, and your example doesn't have the huge chins he's known for, but I remember a lot of t-shirts and what not from that era where the art was almost certainly a pastiche of specific styles.

Zachack fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 17, 2023