Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

zoux posted:

I think it's Gwen Stacy?

You win a no prize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SirDan3k posted:

He knew the compromise was worse, he had to, but he went forward as a basic "Screw you for compromising MY VISION!" to editorial.

Yeah, it's a lovely story to begin with and I don't want to live in a world where this is the best possible version of it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

He delivered her.

Metal Loaf posted:

Originally, she was introduced by Claremont as the alternate future child of Doom and Sue. Then during the subsequent Pacheco/Marín/Loeb run she was retconned into being the baby Sue miscarried back during Byrne's run who had been plucked out of time by Franklin and placed in the alternate future where Sue and Doom raised her. In their last story she was regressed to a foetus and put back in Sue's womb, and she was subsequently delivered by Doom in the very short Adam Warren/Mark Bagley run that immediately preceded Waid's arrival. I think it all falls under Marvel's "it happened, but we don't talk about it any more" policy regarding continuity.

v:v:v

Let's just go with the first explanation.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

You know, people bitching about all the current time travel shenanigans in X-Men clearly aren't long time X-Men readers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

The different colors of ink absorb different amounts of light and would thusly feel warmer or cooler I think was an explanation at one point.

Hell, the most recent issue of Daredevil has him examining the heat of a piece paper.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

One day someone needs to examine how all these little magic powers they give Daredevil would make his every day life a living hell.

That's a fairly common theme. When he visits Foggy while Foggy is getting chemo the scent of death makes him vomit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Unmature posted:

Even though I haven't read it regularly in years, when Bendis leaves USM I'll be severely bummed. I still catch up every once in a while, but Bendis's USM is one of those things that defined my adolescence. It was the first comic I ever regularly read.

Unless they are planning on making a Miles Morales movie at some point, I strongly suspect that the day Bendis stops writing Ultimate Spider-Man is the day Marvel stops publishing it, at least for a little while

Edit: oops I misread your post. For some reason I thought you said something about being worried someone else would take over after Bendis stopped.

I do find it interesting that someone else will be writing Miles in the new Ultimates.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 7, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Much like all the other numbering gimmicks Marvel does, this isn't confusing at all. Thanks.

This one actually makes sense, and I wish this is how they did it before. If you bought and loved Avengers 24 and want to get the next one, there is exactly one Avengers title numbered 25, if you want the latest jumping on point, you buy the Avengers title with Now in the numbering.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Apr 15, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SirDan3k posted:

Wouldn't Canonball survive a nuke because he's an Eternal?

Canonball is a loving Eternal now?

Also, I havene't read it since I was a teenager, but in The Venom Factor Spider-Man either survives a nuclear plast, or (and this is more likely) the bomb that's supposed to trigger the nuclear explosion, but it had been partially disabled.

Aside from that bit of ridiculousness, I liked the book. But I refuse to revisit it, for fear of it being terrible.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

He also survived a nuke during a World War 2 mini.

And in the latest movie, though in the movie he was in a hole and protected from the direct blast.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Whatever happened to the Enforcers from Spider-Man? They showed up in the Spectacular cartoon, and there was an Ultimate version, but do they ever show up in the 616? I didn't even know they existed until I started buying the black and white Essential compendiums, but in the old comics they pop up pretty frequently.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TwoPair posted:

Pretty sure he just flies nowadays, with the catch that he has to be holding Mjolnir in order to fly. I'm not basing this on anything official, I've just seen way too many comics where Thor makes a storm happen for dramatic effect while he just floats in the sky.

In "Everything Burns" Thor has to jump from stone to stone to get across lava.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

zoux posted:

What does decompression mean in a comic book context?

Nice write up, by the way.

Amazing Fantasy 15 contains the origin of Spider-Man and another, complete, story about a dude who gets super powers from his dad being exposed to nuclear radiation. Ultimate Ben Parker doesn't die until the fifth or sixth issue of Ultimate Spider-Man.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

zoux posted:

Who's the other guy?

So, was there a notable first decompressed story that played out over a few issues, or is it something that's always been a part of comics that's just used way more now?

I read it decades ago, so I don't remember, but I'm pretty sure he never showed up again. He could fly and had telepathy if I remember correctly.

There is probably something before Ultimate Spider-Man that used a more decompressed style, but that's when I first noticed it. I love USA, but there's some ridiculous poo poo in there. The first Green Goblin arc as an issue that is almost entirely made up of old panels with Norman Osborne's crazy inner monolog added.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

No, they're for the print versions. You scan them with a phone or tablet or whatever.

You can also scan your tablet with another tablet I guess but make sure nobody is looking.

I read that Marvel's own app lets you just activate the AR on the device itself though.

Not being able to just click or tap on the AR button if you are using Comixology or Marvel Unlimited is really dumb.

Related, I've heard the Marvel Unlimited app for Android is really bad. Is that still true?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm reading through the old Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four and in issue 25 the Hulk guest stars, but he keeps referring to himself as Bob Banner instead of Bruce. What's up with that?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rogue had a mini too. Yeesh, at this point I'm just surprised this is Storm's first.

Edit, Dazzler, but I'm pretty sure that started as a solo book and then she joined the X-men.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Apr 30, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

greatn posted:

Has Constantine ever met: Blue Devil, Neron, Trigon, Etrigan, Zauriel?

If not why not

Etrigan, or at least Jason Blood was intimately involved in his first appearance in Swamp Thing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

I had no intention of selling on eBay - someone suggested looking there for pricing. I figured I'd sell stuff in SA-Mart. I hear you on the hassle and packaging, though.

I hate to keep harping on it, but my first goal is to document a reasonable value for the whole collection, for insurance purposes.

Amusing but I would like to assure you that I have no illusions in this regard. My investments are in a well-balanced portfolio of low-cost no-load index-based mutual funds. Comic books have been an on-again-off-again hobby since I was ten. I saw the bubble that happened in the 80s and (especially) 90s, and I was aware enough at the time that it was speculation and didn't get involved. Collecting comics I'll never read, buying up piles of #1s and alternate covers and foil additions and all that poo poo has never interested me. The only books I have multiple copies of, are ones that were parts of collections I was given.

Grading lets me estimate a value for the collection so I can insure it with a replacement value, and it lets me fairly price any books I eventually want to sell. Folks saying "oh comics are worthless grading is dumb" are probably used to having to convince bright-eyed neophytes that no, they are not going to make tons of money by speculating on the latest X-Whatever #1, so I understand where that comes from, but it's not exactly helpful and it is kind of obviously wrong (there are sales of graded comic books for amounts of money that would be worth my while clearly going on, on SAMart, eBay, and various comic-specific sites).

"Near what I would like" would be "whatever the market will bear." Selling some stuff I don't care about will give me some pocket money for buying some more comics that I do care about.

Comics are worth what other people pay for them. If you are worried about a fire, (don't worry about theft, no one who breaks into your place is going to haul away a long box) pay for the hourly rate you mentioned before to have someone else look over them and submit that to your insurance company.

I'll be honest, I dont know what you are asking for at this point. Based on your description you have, at most, a couple hundred dollars worth of comics. Definitely something you want to keep track of, but not something to get so bent out of shape over.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Soonmot posted:

I cannot believe I forgot Luke and Jessica. Also Deadpool and monster lady.

Also Northstar and what's his face.

Fake edit: gently caress beaten

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

zoux posted:

Who were they going to have get married?

Also, who are the gay DC characters?

Batwoman was going to get gay married to a cop but DC nixed it and did it so abruptly the writer and artist quit, and it looked like DC was objecting to the gay thing at first.

It turns out they just hate all marraiges, the King and Queen of Atlantis aren't even loving married.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

mania posted:

John Constantine (bi).

I forgot about that, has there been any mention of it in Nu52 Constantine?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Uthor posted:

Is there an Earth-001 in Marvel?

Why does Beast almost always turn evil and/or crazy in alternate realities?

Probably for the same reason Reed Richards does, it's not that far as a drop.

As far as Earth 1 in Marvel goes, I don't think there's any confirmation of it, but I always assumed that was us.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

redbackground posted:

http://marvel.wikia.com/Earth-1

from here
(which needs to be updated with the recent New Avengers timelines)

Is it just a passport stamp? My issues of YA aren't where I can get at them.

I do want to say that as much as I loved original Kid Loki, between Young Avengers and his solo title, I like this young Loki a lot.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

redbackground posted:

Other worlds got them too:

I just meant it's been a while since I read the comic, and was there any panels featuring Young Avengers actually in Earth 1? Or was it just the passport stamp?
Edit, my tablet sucks.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I'd assume Mephisto also knows.

That'd actually be a great idea for a short story, everyone knows that when you make a deal with the devil it doesn't turn out great, but what if the devil changes history so hard he doesn't remember it. So there's a bunch of people begging him to change it back, but he has no idea what he did.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Not counting future retcons or anything, did the early Avengers know Banner and Hulk were the same guy? I know for a while Iron Man pretended he was some unnamed body guard of Tony Stark.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

She freaks about her impending 21st birthday near the end of Young Avengers.

Yeah, a major plot point in Young Avengers is all the adults in the world being under the influence of an interdimensional parasite, so she was worried about falling under its influence when she turned 21.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Unmature posted:

Is that the Young Avengers lead by Kid Loki? Is that good?

Yes, assuming you like Gillen/McKelvie. When it was coming out a lot of people had problems with the pacing, but as a collected work, that shouldn't be much of an issue.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

There was discussion in another thread but I pose it here: What are the most divisive event comics? What I mean is, events that are split almost evenly into "LOVE IT" or "loving HATE IT". The only ones I can think of are Identity Crisis and Civil War.

Not quite what you're asking, because pretty much everyone agrees (here at least) that Fear Itself was dumb and sucked, but personally it's a divisive event for me, because while it was dumb and sucked, it was also the starting point of the Kid Loki run on Journey into Mystery, which is some of my favorite comics ever.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

In the mean time, we get some sort of Miles 616 crossover soon in All-New X-Men.

Wait, what? Why?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

To keep with the alliteration theme

For fucks sake.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I think most events sell better than issue 23 of whatever hero isn't Batman, Wolverine or Spider-Man, and that's why they keep doing them.

I have question, recently (the past 5 years or so, maybe longer) Marvel will do crossovers between 2 failing comics to drum up support for both, or either really. Has that ever worked? I'm specifically thinking of Journey into Mystery/New Mutants, but there have been other cases.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SiKboy posted:

To be fair, when it comes to designing spaceships that turn out to have ridiculous flaws, Reed Richards has previous.

Fantastic Four is probably the origin story that suffers the most from the sliding timescale. Peter Parker is fine, just change the word radioactive to genetically engineered, or don't, gently caress it. Tony Stark just requires changing the warzone he was captured in. Captain America almost works better as time goes on, he becomes even more a man out of time. And people are going to be experimenting with new ways to blow each other up forever, so The Hulk is good to go. But the FF really works best if their ill-fated rocket journey happens before we actually sent people into space and got them home safely. They originally met The Watcher in the blue spot of the moon 4 or 5 years before Neil Armstrong got there.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Dude that explosion nearly killed the loving planet. That is not a reasonable self destruct for a ship to have.

Also, why would it need a flashy self destruct, if he was going to land on a planet without any modern civilization it just needs to break a little, blow a fuse or something.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

My point was getting powers from "cosmic rays, while in a low earth orbit" makes a lot less sense when we have people walking around who've been to the loving moon (the FF didn't even get that far in their first trip) and came back fine. I don't know anyone who's been bitten by a radioactive spider or survived a close up experience with a nuclear weapon.

I bet the new movie is going to use the Ultimate FF version, a form of teleportation that involves traveling through parallel dimensions temporarily.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Unmature posted:

I always hear people complain about continuity and writers who screw it up, but I can't think of a good example. What are some times when a writer just plain effed up continuity? Like had a character show up that was dead or something.

In the most recent Ultimate X-men, when Brian Wood took over Ultimate Psylocke briefly showed up before someone reminded him she was dead (I think, it's been awhile since I read that and I didn't read the earlier stuff when she died). Supposedly that wasn't entirely his fault, he gave editorial a list of characters he wanted to use and they said okay.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Unmature posted:

I was a big fan of Ultimate Marvel Team Up and that was basically Bendis trying things out. Some of it. Affected the universe, but a lot of it (skrulls, white Nick Fury, totally different Iron Man, Spider-Man storming the Marvel offices) were later retconned/ignored. It was a really fun book.

Yeah, but I think most of that wasn't supposed to be in continuity, wasn't the first issue Ultimate Peter Parker showing up for an internship at the 616 Fantastic Four's headquarters.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

WickedHate posted:

To be fair, Ultimate wasn't supposed to be different at the start, just without decades of continuity.

It got pretty different pretty quick, Ultimate X-Men and the Ultimates for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Unmature posted:

I always hear people complain about continuity and writers who screw it up, but I can't think of a good example. What are some times when a writer just plain effed up continuity? Like had a character show up that was dead or something.

I think the major continuity complaint is usually about ignoring character growth or history.

I don't have archives, and I don't remember what thread it was in, but someone posted a concise and kinda sweet summary of the relationship between Iron Man and Madame Masque, which based on that (I haven't read any of the actual comics) seemed like a real romance that ended tragically, like every time Daredevil and Elektra hook up. Something that Bendis used as a cheap punchline in Illuminati. I haven't been able to find a scan of it quickly, but it's the one where everyone is complaining about their wives, girlfriends and ex-girlfriends.

Or Sandman was given a long redemption arc, and then a good period of time being a good guy, and then nope, all of a sudden he's a bad guy again. Or Magneto's constant back and forth.