Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mr. Maltose posted:

That was forums cool guy Melvin The Jerk and it was an entire thread about cool couples and romances in comics.

Was it goldmined, or if you have archives can you quote it? Because that was a pretty awesome post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sturm posted:

So most of the stuff that Marvel is putting out has been pretty good, was thinking about trying to get into some DC but I hear the opposite is true.

Which DC titles are currently worthwhile? What's worth going back and reading out of the New 52 stuff?

Not current, but I dug Grant Morrison on Man of Steel.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sharzak posted:

Asian is actually kind of what we're going for although she's an ethnic chameleon so that will be fine. Thanks for the suggestions. Googling doesn't really have much on the subject.
We might end up being Mazikeen and Lucifer--she's brown-ish, in some issues.

There was a Chinese predecessor to Iron Fist in the Fraction/Brubaker series who I'm pretty sure was heavily based on Ching Shih, but I can't remember her name (it might have just been that Ching Shih in the Marvel universe was an Iron Fist).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

redbackground posted:

Why in hell were comics in the '80s just obsessed with making sure readers knew that the story continued after an ad page? Was there just that much confusion about such things back then?

It might be because comics back then would often feature multiple short stories, so they wanted to make sure you didn't think it was ending on a cliffhanger or something.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gavok posted:

Who are characters that Marvel is simply not allowed to use despite being part of its canon continuity?

Off the top of my head:

- Rom: Spaceknight
- Micronauts
- NFL Superpro
- Godzilla
- Charcoal from Thunderbolts
- Conan the Barbarian
- Red Sonja

I seem to recall that Patriot is off limits, but I don't understand why.

Isn't Patriot related to Isaiah Bradley from Truth: Red, White and Black?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Literally The Worst posted:

Bendis's Moon Knight owns, y'all are retarded.

Why hasn't Marvel figured out a print on demand system for their Essentials line? It's 300 pages of cheap newsprint it shouldn't be hard. The Moon Knight talk made me want to read to original stuff and Essential Moon Knight 1 is out of print.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Where do all the super specific numbers for Marvel stuff come from?

Apparently Sue Storm's invisibility field can cloak exactly 40000 cubic feet, and she can make solid objects of up to exactly 100m in diameter. I've seen similar exact numbers given for strength and power distances and things like that too.

Did Marvel decide to hammer all that stuff down at some point?

Marvel employs a man call the "Asstimator" and whenever they need a specific number for something, they reach deep inside his rear end and pull it out.

None of those numbers mean anything when a different answer furthers the plot a writer has in mind.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Who's Iron Lad? All my Avengers knowledge is post dissassembled.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I keep meaning to read Young Avengers. I should have been more specific in saying that my knowledge of Avengers basically starts with New Avengers Vol. 1, but I read a trade of Dissassembled a few years ago and didn't realize how much time passed between the two.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

How pissed off do you think Stephen Glass had to be that Matt Murdock can still practice law in California, and he can't?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Uthor posted:

Yes, Kitty has said the n-word in print.

Twice

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

zoux posted:

Claremont?

She says it in God Loves, Man Kills, so yes. The other time was I think in Secret Wars 2, so that'd be then editor in chief Jim Shooter's fault.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Madkal posted:

Is there any issues of Batman/Detective Comics that deal with the legal ramifications of Batman beating up perps? One would think some perp getting beaten up and left on the cops doorsteps would be a one way trip to all charges dropped/mistrial.

I haven't read it yet (I know), but I imagine Gotham Central addresses that.

There was an issue of Tangled Web of Spider-Man that was essentially that, but with Spider-Man. He drops the bad guys off and the cops are racing like hell to get a confession because the purps lawyer gets there because they know they have absolutely no case without one.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Its not the worst thing ever written.

In context, the first one almost works, almost.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Madkal posted:

Yea it is heavy handed and whatnot, but in context it can sort of work.

It helps that she's not actually calling some one that, but using a hypothetical. But as someone else pointed out, it's still comparing a made up term for a fictional group of people to the most hateful and politically/racially charged words in America.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wolpertinger posted:

But I thought bounty hunters needed some sort of license.

Bounty hunters need a license in the same sense kitchen workers and hair stylists do.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

zoux posted:

That'll make Illuminati meetings fun.

I'd be very surprised if the Illuminati were still around at the end of Hickman's Avengers run.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SirDan3k posted:

Not even close to plausible. The entire motivation of death and return of superman was the collectors market cashcow and the books sold gangbusters so there was no "Oh, what's that, none of them are as good as the original Superman and you don't want any of them to take over? You want the real Superman back?" pay off because it wasn't being sold to fans.

I thought it was mainly to delay the impending wedding of Superman and Lois Lane to synchronize with the Dean Cain/Teri Hatcher show.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I hear good things about the Steve Englehart run too, I think it's the one that introduced Shuma Gorath. Not sure where/if it's collected.

It's in Essential Dr.Strange 3, and I didn't know there was a 4th Essential, so I should pick that up.

Hollismason posted:

I'm pretty sure Doctor Strange : The Oath, was the newest retelling of his origin. Honestly, i've never really cared for Doctor Strange, The Oath being really the only story I've read of his and that Defenders run.

Otherwise I don't know poo poo about him are there any actual really good runs of Doctor Strange other than the Oath and that I think Avengers Annual with him in it and Defenders?

If you dig Silver Age stuff the first 3 Essential Strange are pretty good, but I wouldn't blame you for just skipping over the part where he has a secret identity, also Essential Defenders 1 at least is pretty good too and features Strange, I haven't read the later volumes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

Like anyone would be able to read it anyway. Here's roughly what it would look like from the earth:

I think people had telescopes back then.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I consider myself a big Daredevil fan, so I feel like I should know this, but somehow, I get the impression it was never addressed -- at least not by Miller, Bendis, Brubaker, Diggle, or what I've read by Waid so far.

When Matt was a boy and he pushed that old man out of the way of the truck and got blinded by the radioactive material... why wasn't there a lawsuit? Or was there? Did we ever learn if it was a government or military vehicle, or private industry? What was the purpose of the material, and where was it going, and why wasn't it secured better, and why wasn't the driver paying more attention?

You'd think in any case, Battlin' Jack Murdock could have sued someone and won, to at least establish a trust for his newly-blinded son. Or did he, and is that how Matt was able to attend Columbia for law school, despite growing up poor?

I don't think that was ever addressed, likely because Daredevil is originally from before the era of massive personal injury lawsuits. Here's an off the cuff no-prize explanation, they did sue, but went with the first ambulance chaser they met who got chewed up and spit out by whatever high priced attorneys the other side hired.

I'm pretty sure Matt went to Colombia using needs and merit based scholarships. I remember in high school when they were telling us about all the different scholarships they even said there was one for red heads. And up until his first college grant (and maybe after) Matt would have qualified for social security, being disabled, maybe Battlin' Jack put it in a trust for him.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Inkspot posted:

Only if Niles is played by a Doombot programmed to act like 3-CPO.

Isn't that what we already got?

By the way, if I had a daughter, my greatest hope for her would be that she married a KC Royal. 6/10

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

What is she a druish princess?

I lost a bet about a sports game.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Potsticker posted:

What even is a cryptofascist?

William F Buckley.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Potsticker posted:

Tim Buckley?

The word cryptofacist was invented by writer/political commentator Gore Vidal to describe writer/political commentator William F Buckley. Buckley founded noted conservative magazine The National Review. His son, novelist Christopher Buckley, was forced to resign from that magazine after endorsing Obama in 2008. Read something that doesn't have pictures for once.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Phylodox posted:

If it's not interesting enough to have pictures then it's not interesting enough to read. :colbert:

Books without pictures use the greatest artist ever: Your imagination.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Madkal posted:

I would read it if Darkseid was the one who created noted conservative magazine The National Review and writer/political commentator Clark Kent wrote the word "cryptofascist.

You realize this would also be a book where Darkseid says to Clark Kent "Now listen, you queer, stop calling me a crypto-Nazi or I'll sock you in your goddamn face, and you'll stay plastered."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The TV thread made me realize how little I know about Flash. What difference, if any, is there between Zoom and Reverse Flash?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

For the record, if I ask a comics question in relation to a tv show, you don't need to spoiler the comics stuff, and you don't need to spoil the tv stuff unless I asked slightly before the next tv episode aired and due to timezone differences I might read your response before I can see tonights episode. I read all the spoilers about Zoom/Reverse Flash and I appreciate the responses. I asked the question because in the TV thread some people were using Reverse Flash and Zoom interchangeably and some weren't, so I was confused.

Spoiler tags aren't a bad idea in the "General Question" thread though, since someone else might have a completely unrelated question and doesn't want Flash spoilers (comic or tv). Just make sure to quote the question, so people know what they might be spoiling.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

zoux posted:

Come to me my Galactus.

Hickman FF is like, absurdly good.

I always wonder at what point he had that idea. Future Franklin comes in fairly early as a weird voice in the corner, but the whole "Franklin Richards only had one herald" was that always part of the plan, or something Hickman came up with after the ball started rolling.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

There's a picture of a dude who has Osborne hair in real life that I've seen posted here a couple times, I think he's a state legislator or city council member somewhere. If someone has it, it helped me realize what that hair must look like in real life.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Really, the only time you NEED to read Avengers to follow New Avengers is the during Infinity. Otherwise all you need to know is that Cap finds out what they did to him, and that's why Tony has bandages on his face all of a sudden.

Edit: Oh yeah, as was said, post time-skip they are more tied together, so you might want to start reading both again.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Craiggers posted:

Can anyone suggest a good mail order comic service? There aren't any good shops in my area and I'm still addicted to physical copies of books.

It's been 7 years since I done it, but I subscribed to several Marvel comics direct and they were very nice, and cheaper than buying retail. One time I didn't get an issue of Ultimate Spide-Man, but it only took one short and polite phonecall to get a replacement copy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Uthor posted:

It's a combination of them loving up, not being too apologetic, never ordering enough so they are sold out of any extras by the time I get there (noon Wednesdays), and almost never actually reordering the books they miss to get them to me in a week or two like they say they will. It's pushed me to trade waiting or going digital for anything that isn't from the big two. The few people I know that shop there all complain about it, but the next nearest shop is a 45 minute drive away. I like that shop, but I'm not going to spend $10 in gas just to go there.

I tend to default to supporting local businesses, but it sounds like they don't care about keeping your business, so I don't see why you should support there's. If subscriptions work for you go with that, and if there's a book worth driving 45 minutes to get, drive the 45 minutes. If you think that other store is good enough, you might just move your pull list there and only pick up every two weeks or so. As long as you show up at least once a month, they should be willing to pull whatever you want.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

In the first episode of Justice League, isn't one of the reasons the white martians/HG Wells war of the worlds aliens so easily take over is all the world governments agree to give up their most deadly weapons, because they trust Superman to handle the major threats? I don't think the various animated series have as tight of continuity as people think.

The Superman cartoon was dope, and honestly the reason I could never get into the Justice League cartoon was because Tim Daly couldn't come back as Superman because he was too busy doing that Fugitive reboot tv show no one remembers ever existed.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

As for Blue eyes Bruce, the Timmroid standardization made changing the two pretty necessary.

Oh my god, this is how wookiepedia started.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Ultra-Humanite betrays them for a generous donation to NPR, which is much funnier.

It was cash, he just used a portion of it to make a large donation to NPR. Check out all the swag in his prison cell.

Justice league season one is all two and three parters that do nothing to earn their length, that episode with the injustice gang is probably the only exception. When they finally switched to mostly single episodeswith JLU it was a huge improvement.

The other huge problem with early Justice League cartoons (Bruce Timm even calls it out in the commentary of, I think, JLU) is they Worfed Superman. He was the most powerful member of the team, so to show how powerful a threat was, he'd take out Superman with one hit. That would be fine for a season finally, but they used it almost every story, so Superman ends up looking like a chump.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Idran posted:

Oh yeah, definitely. Wasn't the Superman vs. Darkseid fight in Brainiac's lair them showing they'd be putting an end to that, even?

I don't remember that episode, was it season 2? because I missed a huge chunk of that season. Definitely the JLU episodes where he fights Captain Marvel and gives Darkseid the "World of Cardboard" speech fixed a lot of that.

Fake edit: I remember the episode now, you're probably right, it was JLU and before either of my examples. Bruce Timm coming back for JLU and complaining about that specific thing would fit the timeline completely. I can understand needing to show a reason Superman needs help, otherwise it just becomes the "Superman fixes everything, or is away from the planet" show.

The worst example of Worfing Superman was where they get transported to WW2 and Vandal Savage has also travelled back and is teaching Nazis to make laser guns. A literal Stormtrooper shoots Superman with a laser gun and it puts him down. A rare bright spot early on was the episode with the dude who could become any element, he wrecks the rest of the league until Superman shows up, then Superman thrashes him for awhile until he figures out to turn into kryptonite, but that gives the rest of the team time to regroup and figure out how to take him down

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Anybody know when comics shifted away from thought bubbles and towards narration boxes? Thor is using it right now in a gimmicky way, But besides that the most recent example I could think of was Bendis' Mighty Avengers 5 years ago, but that's just another gimmicky thing, and it's like 5 years old at this point. I feel like the shift itself happened some time in the 80's or 90's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

trashbuilder posted:

Caption boxes really do the same thing and are just way cleaner. Do you really want fluffy clouds floating around the page? or is it a nostalgia thing. I'm not trying to be mean when I say this but why do you want thought bubbles? It is to me the number one thing that bugs me about older comics. I can get over them but most of the time they are unnecessary and I already know what is in the bubble.

I wasn't complaining, I was just curious. According to the video podcast someone else posted it happened in the eighties, biting off Batman: Year One, The Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen. I do think the way they're being used in Thor right now is well done and communicates information in a better way than narrative captions would. The thought bubble has the advantage/disadvantage of firmly cementing the idea that those thoughts are happening to that character at that exact moment.

I think I need to do some independent research though, because I don't think they actually disappeared (almost) completely in the 80's. I can swear I've read 90's comics with thought bubbles. Maybe the Death and Return of Superman, I'm pretty sure there was a period where superhero comics used both.