Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Did Donald Blake ever add anything to Thor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Rhyno posted:

The solicits for the new ongoing make it sound like Norman is coming back again.

That sucks. When I lend friends my USM, I tell them to just skip any Norm Osborn parts. He's just that uninteresting

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Wait, Bendis is writing Miles in parallel with the Ultimate, right?
Bendis on USM is a fundamental constant of the last 13.5 years.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Ok, I misread your post.
I am oddly relieved.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Schneider Heim posted:

What did Kirkman do? I read the first issue of Invincible and I thought it was pretty good? (art's so-so, though)

Invincible definitely started well enough, but Kirkman tends to go into shock value and violence, and his work really lacks the heart that Bendis's USM has.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Has he really been inflammatory? All I've heard is that he thought he'd make more money at Marvel, but he ended up doing much better with his own stuff and so he encourages other folks to do the same. Bendis and Kirkman even had a talk about it. It wasn't like Waid vs DC or anything.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Yeah, "they're a poorly run company that is partially destroying the comic book industry," is a bit inflammatory.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah I'm not a fan of Kirkman's writing at all but all those points he made are pretty sound.

His points that you should try to own the property you work on is great. Marvel/DC killing comics is where it gets hyperbolic. I doubt Walking Dead would be on the TV if comic book movies weren't already a thing.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not sure why you think that. Walking Dead got on TV to capitalize off the zombie craze, not because it was a comic book property. A lot of people who watch it don't even know there's a comic.

I think being based off a comic gained some legitimacy in Hollywood after some comic book movies made huge buckets of money.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Astonishing Wolverine & Spider-Man is absolutely amazing. Astonishing, even. Everything Aaron touches is as awesome as it can be.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Shitshow posted:

So, I might be marked as a heretic for saying this, but after reading the first two volumes of Sandman for the first time, I'm feeling like this series is just the most over-rated tripe. I mean, it's okay, but so far does not live up to the hype. Does it get better?

It is a bit more a product of its time than Watchmen or most other great comics. I still love it because it was that great to read as a kid who didn't expect comics to treat themselves seriously and could relate a little more to Morpheus's ennui and fashion sense. If I were reading it for the first time now, I would quit soon because I'm so far past that junk and some of the best parts of the book have worked their way into main stream culture.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Dark age would be a lot better if it were based off Watchmen rather than Miller's work, but honestly, it's mostly based off Miller.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I think Guggenheim's connection to comics gives him a bit more 'legitimacy'.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Unmature posted:

Is Final Crisis still worth reading post-New52? For some reason I've just never read it despite loving Morrison and DC at that time.

Realize that it is mostly meta commentary on comics, plus some art errors, plus some cool scenes, plus some cool action and character moments.

Madkal posted:

It has just as much impact now in Nu52 as it did pre Nu52.

Batman would disagree.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Mister Nobody posted:

What I don't like is that the girl is one traffic jam away from suicide.

Im not trying to ruin it . I'm sorry if I offended you.

The point of the scene was to directly show that Superman cares about and believes in everyone. A big point of the book is Superman as loving, capital G God, and the book gets a ton of credit for doing that with the minimum amount of schmaltz.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Sharzak posted:

Brown female superheroes to cosplay as? I'm stuck at Storm and Gamora for options.

355 from Y the Last Man
Misty Knight, of Heroes for Hire
Deena Pilgrim, as seen on TV
Photon, one of the other Ms Marvels
Maybe Kamala Khan, the newest Ms Marvel

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Was the batarang from Batman 66? I remember an incarnation where they were used to hit people on the head and cut roots or something, and then come back, so Batman would leave no evidence and wouldn't have to get regular shipments of them to his cave.

I could be making this up, but it makes sense

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
One of the CA folks wrote up a thing talking about how DC was originally for kids back in the silver age, and once Marvel came along they tried hard to appeal to the older crowd, but this meant ignoring or rewriting 50 years of history.

There are and always have been better ways out of their conundrum, but at some level they are stuck on the idea that it is better to rewrite history than have one that doesn't make sense.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Any podcast, books, our interviews that go into the editorial process behind comics? Mainly interested in big two and shared world stuff, how they figure it what to focus on and managing the writers and artists

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I remember someone saying that companies are required to send each issue in for approval, and at one point the CCA was shutting down or moving and folks had to clear out a room filled with unopened issues.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Mister Nobody posted:

Call me a tasteless monster but I liked Millar's run. It had some cool moments, the crossover with 1985 and Old man Logan was pretty neat, and some of that stuff carried over into Hickman's run

It was really good for Millar, and good world building in general, but it was just generally forgettable with some dumb parts.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Anyone know when Marvel started doing the creators retreats? Was that shooter or Quesada?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
About the heavy use of text, I heard that early writers had the dialog pretty much tell the whole story because that was how they communicated with the artist and made sure the reader knew what was happening. So, if Batman was getting stabbed, there would be a narration box or dialog pretty much saying "Batman, the main character of this story, got stabbed!"
Along the same line, Black characters has their race in their name so the colorist would know what to do.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

muscles like this? posted:

What is/was the explanation for the Inhuman royal family to go around wearing masks? I know Black Bolt wears his costume because it's supposed to help control his power but what about everyone else?

Better question: what's your excuse for not running around dressed as a superhero?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Scalped is really good but stays really bleak throughout the whole thing.
Aaron's stuff is awesome, but I prefer his "they took my dragon, but they didn't take my life. The fools" like Weirdworld over "I will fight an oppressive system to help my oppressed people."

Has Jason Aaron ever written a bad book? His Wolverine was meh, but still had some great issues.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I think the bigger problem is that it doesn't contain an appearance from 1993 Uncanny Annual breakout star X-Cutioner

(unless it does, I didn't research this joke very thoroughly)

There is something very Cerebus about this pose. The mask makes the nose look long, the leg looks very cylindrical.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I think ISO-8 came up in the games first but then got used in comics?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

CzarChasm posted:

Not exactly the same thing but the 2013(?) TMNT CGI series did this often, switching between the standard look, an out of place reaction shot, and occasionally a "serious" look. Not comics, but comics adjacent.

Personally, I think it makes sense for something like the YA/comedy books (Squirrel Girl, Ms Marvel, Deadpool), but if I saw it happen in a mainline Wolverine book, I think I would hate it. Unless it was

Actually, I think it was used once per issue in Astonishing Spider-Man and Wolverine, which is a great book. It was part of a meta/mojo-commentary on things.
That book also had Doom the Living Planet, it was great Jason Aaron bullshit.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Seven Soldiers rules. I think each story stands well on its own, then there's the way the stories interlock together to make a larger story, then there's the metaphors going on with Morrison vs Moore, and DC editorial resurrecting old properties to make them grim and gritty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
It was written back before real life and parody merged. We all thought nuclear war was right around the corner, and the phones were horrible, but looking back it was just a much simpler time.