Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
What the hell has Tim Sale been up to for the last few years? He's basically disappeared--his comicbookdb entry shows nothing but reprints & collections since like 2009.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, those interpretations of KnightsQuest and Death and Return always seemed like DC fans trying to rewrite history to make it seem like DC's bad 90s stuff was somehow clever satire.
I don't know about clever, but JPV was pretty unhinged from the very beginning, and was never going to last long-term.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Well yeah, obviously, but that doesn't mean they didn't intend for this to catch on as a viable Batman book for the time it lasted. Superior Spider-man was never going to be permanent either but it also wasn't some kind of meta-commentary on the industry designed to teach readers a lesson.

Plus, have you loving read those comics? The stuff with the System and the insane narratives and all that poo poo was clearly in earnest. I mean, Azrael got his own book for a long long time afterwards, just because he was never meant to permanently replace Batman doesn't make the entire exercise some kind of Manchester Black thing. They could have made the point that Batzrael was a lovely Batman in about 1/3rd as many issues, if that was their only intent. Instead he wears the cape for about a hundred combined issues.
I do agree that Azrael In Charge went on for far too long. KnightsEnd and KnightFall are the perfect lengths, and if KnightQuest was equally about as long (instead of like twice those), I think it all would be a much, much better overall arc.

Also, I am still amazed that his eponymous series lasted as goddman long as it did, even though Denny O'Neil was probably the only one reading it.

Lurdiak posted:

Plus, have you loving read those comics?
Got'em all in hardcover, even.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Sep 10, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Miller addresses it in Man Without Fear. Jack Murdock demands compensation but the trucking company has done their research and basically says "waive any claims or we tell the police about your job as a mob collector and Matt lives in foster homes til he's 18."
That's a pretty elegant solution.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I really like the new Black Widow run, what are some other stories of hers that I should check out?
Secret Avengers #20, one of my favorite single issues, period.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

That whole run by Warren Ellis is outstanding.
That it is! Since they're all standalone issues, I just wanted to push that particular Black Widow-centric issue.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

CzarChasm posted:

Has Martian Manhunter ever had his own title/series/mini?
There's a really good Ostrander/Mandrake run.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 26, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Only heard them referred to as Kirby Dots, chief. Rolls off the tongue better too, not all alliteration is catchy.
Kirby Krackle is definitely the preferred nomenclature.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

If somebody were to describe Alan Moore's work (Watchmen in particular) as "cryptofascist propaganda", what would be the best way to gently dissuade them?
Wait, who's calling Superman's dog a Nazi?!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

It's really strange how most people remember that fight as "Batman won".
I count every day I'm not killed by an extraterrestrial a victory.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Beerdeer posted:

At the beginning of Hickman's Avengers, that's Ock-Spidey being a dick, yeah?
Yah.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Jack Gladney posted:

This is crazier than when I learned what Jughead's hat was, or the dots on Dagwood's chest.
What's this about Dagwood?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

A Strange Aeon posted:

Sorry this is old, but I'm catching up on the thread.

My wife loves Martian Manhunter, but the Essentials (or equivalent) I got her she found pretty boring. Is the Ostrander run above collected in trades?
There are two trades that collect up to #17. Volume 2 just came out so hopefully two more are forthcoming.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Shitshow posted:

I'm trying to work my way through Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers and have made it to the Prelude to Infinity trade. While I like the New Avengers quite a bit, I find Avengers to be a total slog. Does it get better and should I continue? If I'm not feelin' it at this point, should I just walk away?
I think it got a lot better after/during Infinity--I can see how the more standalone character issues and Savage Land stuff seemed weaker than the the NA plot. The Original Sin arc with Cap moving forward through time was pretty cool, and it tied in much more with everything else going on. Both titles are pretty inseparable at this point, too.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 31, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Agent_grey posted:

A long while back a lil' Agent_grey used to collect the UK Sonic the hedgehog comics. I've recently remembered they are sitting in my parents attic and thought about binding them. But given the size and paper quality I'm not entirely sure its doable.

Do any of you binding goons know if I can do it? The comics were about the same size as 2000ad comics maybe a little wider and I think the pages were a little thinner though I may be misremembering.
If it's paper, it can be bound.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I thought that Spidey Super Stories #39 would fit what you're looking for, but I forgot that it's the Cosmic Cube Thanos is trying to pilfer, not anything Gauntlet-related.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

I'm currently enjoying

Batman (up to the latest issue)

In that you did not care for the latest issue at all?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

That was Jason's girlfriend Gehenna, who had her own rather unique powers.
She was a real salt-of-the-earth girl, too.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

That issue was so great, and spun out of a surprisingly fun World's Finest mini that focused on how all of the Bat and Super families worked together. Like one issue would have Damien, Kara and Stephanie, another had Nightwing and Nightwing, I think.
That World's Finest mini is one of DC's most underrated books of the recent era.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 16, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

I guess Damien's type is the daughters of supervillains. Just like his dad. Multiversity backs this up.
Pre-N52 Kara's dad wasn't, was he?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Has an artist ever driven down sales on a book, outside of missing deadlines?
I'd like to know if Tocchini affected Uncanny X-Force at all.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 18, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dunbar posted:

Is there any place online to buy back issues of physical comics?
There are a million, but as someone who has bought hundreds of comics online, my top 4 sites that I use, depending on who has the best prices/selection of what I'm looking for, are Comic Collector Live, Midtown, Mycomicshop, and Graham Crackers. Always compare before buying.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 20, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Cornwind Evil posted:

Okay, so I've been poking through Flashpoint. Let me see if I have this straight...

1) Aquaman and Wonder Woman were going to be married and had that happened everything would be maybe-fine, BUT

2) There is an evil plot by Orm and Penthesilea, the two's closest advisers, that ultimately results in a gigantic, devastating war between the two empires.

3) Said war and its weapons get so out of control that by the time Flash is about to retcon the universe away, Cyborg is detecting things that indicate the world's about to shake itself apart.

So...was it ever revealed exactly what Orm and Penthesilea were trying to do, or was it just GET ARTHUR/DIANA KILLED SO I CAN TAKE OVER MWAHAHAHA? Because if the latter, good job, you yahoos.
You are correct on every point. I just assumed that yeah, everything just got way out of hand, and that eliminating the marriage was basically the original endgame, as per standard DC editorial mandates.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

I heard there was an issue of X-Men that retold the last battle of AvX through Scott's hosed-up-on-Dark-Phoenix-juice perspective, does anyone know what it was? It sounds interesting.

I think it was Uncanny X-Men #19, and yes, it was great.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

Weird question, but the return of Prez news made me think of John Belushi showing up in comics. I can only think of three instances, but I find them all kind of intriguing.

- That Sandman issue about Prez.
- The Marvel/SNL crossover.
- IDW Ghostbusters when the ghost of Jake Blues shows up to offer Ray some advice.

Are there any other examples? I know it works the other way around, as he played the Hulk on SNL one time.
There's Jake Farber and Elwood McNulty of Marvel's FBI, who were drawn to look exactly like the Blues Brothers and showed up a few times according to that there link.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Have Deadpool and Rocket Raccoon ever shared a scene?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

The Question IRL posted:

Can anyone else think of Heroes or Villains who have radically changed power level/ motif from their starting appearances?
This is almost every character that has been around for any decent period of time ("power creep").

Superman: Jumps high, punches wife beaters->Possibly faster than The Flash, stands toe-to-toe with literal gods

Jean Grey: Teen telekinetic who the boys all swoon over-> living embodiment of one of the greatest destructive forces found in the universe

Joker: Bank robber/part time murderer but overall minor threat->immortal specter of doom that has haunted Gotham for over a century with a kill count innumerable.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 23, 2015

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

My co-worker has expressed an interest in X-Men lately after binging through all the movies. She really liked Beasts character in the more recent movies and asked if I could recommend some stories featuring Beast in a prominent role and outside of New X-Men I really couldn't think of any. So are there any really good Beast centered stories out there?
X-Men S.W.O.R.D.
(which follows Whedon's Astonishing run, which is also a good go-to)
There's a great Wolverine and the X-Men issue where Beast and Sabertooth duke it out IN SPAAACE (#8).
A+X #4 has a super fun Beast/Spidey team-up.

Beast really doesn't get to take the lead too often :/

redbackground fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 27, 2015

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

Ms. Marvel undergoes a nine-month gestation period in the span of a few days
That's not even the worst part!

e: muscles has already covered it!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

Technically it was Jim Shooter, who was editor in chief at the time, so he approved it himself and could threaten the livelihood of anyone who didn't want to work on it.

The story behind Avengers #200 is fascinating and insane.
I also can't get past the undercurrent that this was not just a story for rando Avengers issue 180-something, this was the big 200 spectacular. Just imagine the shitstorm if they pulled that same story today.

Speaking of, what was the letter column like a few issues down the road? Was there an overly positive/negative response from readers right at the time?

Here's Jim Shooter's take on it, but of course, mounds of salt.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

Were there ever any prominent female writers back in the day, or were all the characters being written by men?
Jo Duffy and Ann Nocenti are the main two I can think of, for around that time.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Edge & Christian posted:

Avengers 200 is from 1980, and at that point I don't think most of the names being thrown around were writing any comics. Louise Jones/Simonson and Jo Duffy were both hired on as editors in 1980, and started getting writing jobs (Simonson more than Duffy) a few years later.
Point of order, but from what I saw at marvel.wikia.com, Jo Duffy had already written ten issues of Power Man & Iron Fist, an issue of Star Wars, and had co-written 3 other comics when Avengers 200 was published.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

I'm not a close watcher of DC, but I realized earlier (because it was mentioned in another thread) that Wonder Woman can fly. Has she always been able to do that?

I copied this from The Internet!:

some seemingly informed chap posted:

In the Golden Age (from the early forties to the late fifties/early sixties), the character couldn't fly at all.

In the Silver Age (late fifties/early sixties to the early eighties), Diana gained the ability to glide on air currents starting in Wonder Woman (vol 1) issue #98, May 1958.

Post-Crisis on Infinite Earths (in 1985), Wonder Woman's origin has been rebooted, and she could fly freely from the start. Hippolyta made a baby out of clay and the goddesses (plus Hermes, for some reason) granted Diana beauty, power, strength, speed and flight.

In 2011, DC Comics' entire line of publications was relaunched, and Wonder Woman's origins have been rebooted again. This time she was a demigoddess, daughter of Hippolyta and Zeus, and could fly naturally.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I did a comprehensive Jaime and Gilbert Hernandez thread about a year ago. I'm trying to find it right now but I don't have search.
I was bored. link

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

hadji murad posted:

Is there anything critical reading wise between Avengers 33 to 35. It says 8 months later and should it just be treated as 8 months of what was going on?

I probably phrased this poorly, really glad I decided to reread this stuff.
I don't know what you've read/not read, but there is 34.1 and 34.2, which are standalone, non-Hickman penned issues about Hyperion and Starbrand, respectively. The Hyperion one is very good, the Starbrand one is not so.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Is the whole of the lead up to Secret Wars contained within Hickman's Avengers
Yes.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I think I may have broken the thread.

e: fixed

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Expounding on my question from yesterday: How many Avengers titles are there currently and how many of them deal with the lead up to Secret Wars?
Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers are the only two dealing with Secret Wars setup.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Avenger's World is also a tie in
I was about to type more :)

World has some highly inessential stories that fill in some details nobody was clamoring for during the time period A/NA skipped over (Namor acts creepy, buying AIM was hard, etc.).

zoux posted:

All three are still running?

A/NA runs up right to Secret Wars, as it's all one story.

Avengers 43 - 4/1
Avengers 44 - 4/15
New Avengers 33 - 4/22
Secret Wars 0 (FCBD) - 5/2
Secret Wars 1 - 5/6

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Cool. I guess during this time Spiderman is dealing with Spiderverse poo poo and X-men are doing their own thing as always.

So in the Avenger's ongoing solos are they just ignoring incursions or what?
Since the Time Runs Out arc (beginning with Avengers 35 & NA 24), A & NA take place after every other Marvel ongoing.

However, coming up, it looks like some titles will show how their characters react to the final incursion (look for "Last Days" banners):

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 25, 2015