Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

StashAugustine posted:

So what the gently caress is up with the Summers family?

Their dad is a space pirate and that's probably the most normal sentence of any explanation you'll get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

I love that Scott's grandparents are alive and left him in an orphanage run by a super villain.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

He's been trained by Batman, but doesn't show it very often because "hit them very hard" tends to work for him. He busted it out against Zod's troops in New Krypton.

I love how many dudes either Batman or Wildcat has trained. It's like how everybody who ever had a cup of coffee at the Avengers mansion got trained in hand to hand combat by Captain America.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

prefect posted:

I don't know Wildcat, but Batman and Wolverine could easily be big dicks and refuse to help anybody out. Cap, however, is a boy scout. He's got no choice.

Every time Batman trains somebody, he'll leave something out in case he ever has to fight them. Then he can go "I TAUGHT you EVERYTHING YOU KNOW, but not everything I know" and then knocks them out.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

greatn posted:

Has Constantine ever met: Blue Devil, Neron, Trigon, Etrigan, Zauriel?

If not why not

I think he met Etrigan in one of his early SWAMP THING appearances. I know they both were showing up in the book around the same time but they may not have actually crossed paths.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

To be fair, Nightcrawler didn't know she was his sister at first.

To be less fair, Jimaine Szardos knew perfectly well he was her brother.

And to be entirely unfair, there's Nightcrawler's reaction to finding out he's been dating his sister:

I love her startling metamorphosis from Amanda Sefton in a hat to Amanda Sefton.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

Soonmot posted:

Crab whales are the second best thing to come from that event. Rockslide/Gambit plan was the best.

Gambit also blew up Cap's shirt, which ruled.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

Did Daredevil ever find out it was Paladin who shot him right before he went to jail?

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

This is more of an action figure question but I figure people around here would probably know, how is it that companies can make those high quality not licensed Transformers without getting sued by Hasbro? I know they don't use the names but are the designs not protected too?

Hasbro uses them as free market research to see how much nerds are willing to pay for high end dolls

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

Where does George Maxon fit into this?

The original Red Skull hired him to operate as the Red Skull before the Red Skull actually appeared

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

Someone else probably has it in greater detail but essentially Reed did a story arc with a dangling plot thread of an alternate universe Carol hanging around. Slott then wrote in one of his books that the alternate Carol went back to her home dimension. Which was a problem because Reed wasn't done with the character yet.

In a similar vein, wasn't John Byrne also bad about undoing stuff he didn't like? Something like he would retcon Doom stuff to be Doombots?

He also had She-Hulk go through like point by point how a She-Hulk miniseries clearly never happened because he didn't like a gag in it and also felt the writer didn't do enough research on Wyatt Wingfoot's tribe. Writers are constantly adding to or undoing other people's stuff, that's the nature of a shared universe, he was just more obviously and pointedly a dick about it

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

Byrne's claimed he had an out to put all the toys in the box again after his Vision hard reboot and Scarlet Witch is totally crazy with invented ghost babies story but either quit or got run off West Coast Avengers before he did it, and those stories are based on the idea that the writer Byrne took over from was wrong and also the writer who took over for him was wrong, so just real petty in a couple directions

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I was also the only guy who liked Avengers Forever!

Avengers Forever rules, just twelve issues of Kurt Busiek and Roger Stern being like "shut up, shut up, you can ALL be right"

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Yes but ten years ago I was an outlier!

sorry, mostly kept to wrestlehut those days. Avengers Forever has like the best possible Avengers lineup that doesn't include Hercules, because it has Hank Pym from the one day he was cool and also Hank Pym from much later when he regretted being cool for a day

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

Rhyno posted:

WHERE THE gently caress WERE YOU GUYS IN 2005

writing way too many blog posts about the Avengers/ Defenders War

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

when I was still paying attention to Previews at my old job, DC started doing a second cover on like every single book, usually with a monthly gimmick. Marvel would also do gimmicks, but to order them, the shop would have to order more copies of the main cover than they did some other book from a few months prior (like "order 150% as many copies of the standard cover of Deadpool #37 as your total number of copies of Squirrel Girl #19 to order the hip-hop variant of Deadpool #37"). The gimmick month covers would occasionally do good enough numbers that shops would want to get the NEXT gimmick covers, but since the title that unlocked the ability to order the gimmick wasn't even necessarily the same title as the one you wanted, well, you'd just have to order the whole line, just in case. This doesn't even get into the "order one thousand copies in order to receive the one in a thousand variant you can then maybe flip to recoup the cost of ordering nine hundred and fifty more copies than you can sell" variants.

it's a practice designed to get completionist maniacs to buy two different copies of the same issue of Batman or to make a shop order more than they normally would, or should. Pumps up publisher's sales numbers but god only knows what the actual sell through is like

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Oh God, the Marvel math required to get those fuckin variants. The best was when a variant was dependent on your order for another variant. Thankfully they quit doing that after the third time and retailers basically told them to eat poo poo. Early on in the endless variant bullshit I would set my base number for the standard cover and then I'd just click every variant box and be happy with what arrived. About a year into that diamond informed me I couldn't do that anymore unless I was hitting the minimum number for the rarest variant. They never gave me a reason, just told me to stop doing it. Buncha fuckers over there.

Yeah they got sick of having to have customer service call shops to do word problems to figure out how many of the tsum tsum pets variant covers they were allowed to get based on how many copies of the third Spider-Woman #2 that shipped in the last ten months they got, but god forbid they tell Marvel's sales guy that something was a bad idea.

All of this was in service to their goal of throwing up a sales chart that said that a book sold X number of copies with the caveat that it sold X number across like a half dozen different SKUs combined

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

Mackie was good at throwing entertaining concepts out there fast enough that it seemed like they would eventually make sense and eventually go somewhere and that spun maybe twelve issues of competent Ghost Rider plot into like two hundred issues of byzantine Midnight Sons absolute bullshit so good on him for finding his niche

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

feel like Batman fighting ten-eyed men in 'the empty quarter' to exorcise the paranoia from his personality is also Grant Morrison all over

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

Rhyno posted:

GA Icicle has been dead in comics since like 1990.

His kid, who was somehow born with the powers of his dad's gun, was in Johns' JSA a fair amount, though

Karma Tornado fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 7, 2020

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

Was the antimetal vibranium found in the Savage Land actual vibranium or Antarctic vibranium that actively destroys other metal, like Spidey and Nova used against the second Tri-Sentinel?

if I remember right, what they went with was that they were calling Savage Land vibranium "antimetal" because it does the opposite of Wakandan vibranium (instead of absorbing vibration, it emits vibration, and those vibrations destroy all metal). I imagine it stemmed from a writer screwing up and Gruenwald explaining the hell out of it in an Official Handbook entry

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

I remember Wizard pointing out that Byrne had like just stopped drawing backgrounds at some point on that Wonder Woman run, which was the first time I can think of them saying basically anything negative about him, but I totally forgot that extended to the covers

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

I liked when he busted out that weird duoshade paper on Namor but did not like when he had She-Hulk talk about being drawn with duoshade paper

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

Raven's the head on the bottom right of the panel, the lady in white is probably Dr Light. White hair might be Silver Sorceress, there's probably a Crimson Fox or two in there, too

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

maltesh posted:

Because he was created in the Modern Age of comics, after federal laws about nominative determinism in superhero naming were thrown out as unconstitutional.

Edit: Also kind of wondering which Amalgam character had the largest number of Marvel and DC characters merged into one.

one of the Magnetic Men was Tin, Snapper Carr, Toad, and Rick Jones. I think that's the most; there're a couple more that are three characters stuck together but that's the only one I remember hitting four

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

melting down your iconic hat and making it into a knife? ah, he went to Jared

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Zero Hour Fate sure didn’t last long. Although none of the Zero hour characters really did. Primal Force was taken from us way to soon.

Starman is the only one that stuck. Real dismal bunch of launches there

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

the issue of New Mutants where Tom and Sharon get a bunch of piercings and bondage gear and bust into Magneto's shower because a psychic teenager made them impossibly horny is where an editor maybe should have like sent a note or something

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

I'd lay odds Loeb changed the ending because somebody (say, Wizard Magazine) figured it out

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

if I remember right Plasmer hadn't even been published yet, Shooter claims he had a cartoon and toy deal lined up, and Marvel's lawsuit was enough of a delaying tactic to scuttle those. real dick move, very petty.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

Maddy Pryor is an English folk singer, Claremont stuck a lot of names like that in his stuff and probably lost track of which ones he'd already used

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

in The Nail Barda winds up with a ring, but that's an Elseworlds.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

it's a bummer that Marvel Unlimited is still missing the same chunks of runs it was missing when I last used it five years ago

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

the first time I read through silver age Avengers I was surprised at how long it was before Magneto was established as the Maximoff twins' father, probably because abything X-Men centric was way more prominent when I was a kid in the 90s, which made me think that was always sort of the case. they had two totally different dads before that retcon, plus there aren't many names as cool as 'Django Maximoff'

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

Alan Davis heavily retooled Captain Britain with a couple different writers before Moore came in. Changed the costume, I think provided the origin, and added the multiversal nature of the Captain Britain Corps (it's where the Earth 616 designation comes from). Moore wasn't on the character for too long and eventually dipped because the Marvel UK office was stiffing him, and he took over writing the strip like halfway into a story. I think it got collected during one of the periods where Moore refused to let Marvel use his name so they were reprinted as by The Original Writer, same as Miracleman

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

yeah I was misremembering about the Original Writer situation, the Captain Britain trade I have from 2001 has Moore's name on the cover and he wrote the introduction.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

This is a long shot, particularly because I never actually even read the comic, but if someone could help me rustle up some panels, I'd be really grateful.

The generic outline of the scene I'm looking for is that some mutilated guy (in a trenchcoat and bandages?) is watching TVs through a store window, and the person responsible for mutilating him turns up on TV, and the mutilated guy gets angry and smashes the windows. Broad to the point of useless, right? The part that stuck with me is the character's internal monologue: Something about how the nerve and brain damage he's taken should make anger physiologically impossible, so the rage that he's feeling must be (paraphrasing crazy hard) "a gift raining down from God". Something to that effect. The scene made an impact on me, even if I've lost some of the specifics over the years.

I know it sounds like it, but I'm pretty sure this isn't Darkman. For some reason I actually think it might be a manga. Does this ring a bell for anybody?

it's not Milo from 100 Bullets, is it?

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

bessantj posted:

Thank you for your opinions JordanKai, Random Stranger.

I'v gotten to the point in Fantastic Four where Thing and Ms. Marvel have been hit with cosmic rays and so Ms Marvel is now She-Thing (her story is weird) and Thing is now an extra pointy monster, his redesign is awful probably the worst I have ever seen, has there been a worse redesign in comic book history?

you're coming up on a truly heinous Invisible Woman costume so you don't even have to look at a different title to find one, get excited

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

Not really what you were thinking or what anyone sane would actually want, but Mark Millar did write a Wolverine/Cyclops hot tub scene in Youngblood: Bloodsport

Not particularly worksafe

it's wild that that scene isn't even the worst thing in that book, because that book also has, if I remember right, a two page spread of Shaft riding a jetpack-wearing zombie MLK Jr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

blaming Busiek for how Claremont and Simonson handled Madelyn Pryor because he pitched the eventual solution for how Jean Grey was going to be resurrected is nuts and I feel like I've posted this before