Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Is there a history of Nick Fury Jr? Did they give him much of a backstory or did he just appear because of the movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

What year is this issue so I can avoid the poo poo out of it?

Why would anyone want to avoid the Sins of the Father storyline?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

CapnAndy posted:

I don't know what any of you are talking about, there isn't even an image there

bobkatt013 posted:

Oh its suppose to be Tommy Lee Jones

Bask in all it's creepy creepy creepy glory.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
When are they going to start renumbering Amazing Fantasy?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Reminds me that I bought Magneto: Testament a long time ago and I still haven't read it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Is there any reports out there showing how much comicbook readership has dropped over the years. I don't mean over the last 5 years odd but more in the last 20 odd years. I am curious because I remember reading about comics selling in the high tens of thousands (80,000-90,000) but now it seems like 30,000-50,000 is considered high top sellers. When was the peak, and how much was being sold at that peak, and when did it start dropping off?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Shitshow posted:

So, I might be marked as a heretic for saying this, but after reading the first two volumes of Sandman for the first time, I'm feeling like this series is just the most over-rated tripe. I mean, it's okay, but so far does not live up to the hype. Does it get better?

One thing to know about Sandman is that even Caiman admitted that the first few issues he was trying to find his feet and try give the book a distinctive voice. I think he said it wasn't until until issue 8 or so that he hit his stride. Like others have said try dream country although I would really recommend seasons of mist (volume 4) and if you don't get into that one then yea, you probably won't get into the rest of the books.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

CapnAndy posted:

We're kinda due for a paradigm shift, by the way. The New 52 might end up being a shift point, for the day-and-date digital if nothing else.

I figured we are hitting the digital age. Modern age will be called something like the diamond age are some such BS, defined by trade waiting and I think can probably be defined at its end point by the re-emergence of Image comics. New 52 is the start of the new current age (for me at least).

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Maybe I misremembering the 90's but there wasn't nearly as many graphic novels/TPB's as there are now, and decompresion has lead to things like trade waiting where there is no point in waiting month after month for an arc to finish when you can read it all at once.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Choco1980 posted:

Well, decompression most certainly predated the 2000s, but mostly for "event" comics, and then the fringe stuff, like say, Sandman and the like. I'd say Vertigo was probably the main starter area of that trend, ushering it in with their lengthy "mature audiences only" stories.

I don't think Vertigo titles were particularly decompressed (especially the earlier titles) but they figured that the titles could basically sell in pertuity as collected editions in book stores, and they were pretty much right.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Soonmot posted:

What has Marvel done? I can't remember anything crazy from then since the hobopiss incident.

Hobopiss?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Has Superman ever had any formal training as a fighter, or has he always been a "hit them very hard" kind of guy?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

Hang on minute, I got this one here it's the one where Superman dies, that's gotta be worth a pretty penny. Superman don't die every day now, do he?

And I got some foil/embossed/3-D covers. That poo poo has got to be worth something, right.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Recently there was a thing in Vancouver where some guy auctioned off his entire comic collection. I don't know the channels he went through but if you are really looking and are interested maybe go to an auction house and ask them to appraise your collection. You might get a better answer from them.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

bobkatt013 posted:

Marvel does it and therefore DC wants nothing to do with it. See also recap pages, a competent trade program, marriages, and more than a handful of books worth reading.

Cough cough Spiderman cough cough

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

Also Northstar and what's his face.

Fake edit: gently caress beaten

This one is the funniest in regards to DC loving up. There was media surrounding Northstar getting married and a lot of positive press. DC could have done the same thing. It was pretty much set up for them completely. Instead they suck so hard that they nixed the whole thing due to their stupid policy which ended up biting them in the arse as people thought they were against gay people getting married.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

Who were they going to have get married?

Also, who are the gay DC characters?

Batwoman and Sawyer (I think her name is Sawyer).

edit: Beaten

edit 2: Basically the writers had been working towards Kane and Sawyer getting married which would be a big deal because lesbian comic book character in a mainstream comic is getting married to her partner. DC remembers that they have an absolutely no-one is to get married ever rule and tells the writers no. Writers are displeased with this and publicly leave the book. Even though this idiotic editorial rule applies to all marriages across the board, the public at large hear about DC not wanting two gay characters to get married and there was a bit of blowback thrown at DC's way.
I swear DC is so loving adamant against marriage at this point that for their next big event the big baddie should be a loving wedding.

Madkal fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 15, 2014

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

What Aqualad?

That breakout character from the Young Justice cartoon who also appeared in that one event comic where.....nevermind. Nu52 forever!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

He wasn't Aquaman's son anyways.

Yea, I remember that from Brightest Day. It's been ages since I saw Young Justice though. What was his origin in the cartoon show?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Now I'm just waiting for the revelation that Thomas and Martha Wayne weren't married.

They're dead so that's okay. Ditto for Ma and Pa Kent.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

bobkatt013 posted:

Weren't they also building up Killer Croc in the book, and then told them they could not use him?

Yep. They were and then DC said they couldn't use him because he was going to be put in one of those Villains month books.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

Y'all are gonna have to explain referenced to DC properties, I'm afraid.

Renee was an awesome character who had a big part in an awesome comic called Gotham Central. It was in this comic that it came out that she was a lesbian (thanks to Harvey Dent of all people). Anyway, she had an amazing growth as a character in that series. Then she had even more of an amazing growth as a character when she became the Question in 52, when Vic Sage died. She had a few adventures of her own as the Question, and it also came out that she used to be lovers with current Batwoman. Then Nu52 happened and she was erased from existence.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I have started reading Exiles because I want to relive the early 2000's pretty hard. I managed to get the first 2 trades and I quite enjoyed them. I went to one comic shop and noticed that they were missing volume 3 and 4, but had volume 5 upwards. This is no biggie as I am sure I can find the other volumes somewhere else. What I did notice was that the volumes 5 and up were written by different writers. There is Chuck Austen (who I know I should avoid), Bedard, and Claremont. I just want to know if any of the trades written by others not named Winnick are worth reading, or if I should just stick to the Winnick stuff.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Unmature posted:

Is Final Crisis still worth reading post-New52? For some reason I've just never read it despite loving Morrison and DC at that time.

It has just as much impact now in Nu52 as it did pre Nu52.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The thing that made that era for DC so good (and we may be looking at it through rose-tinted glasses but still) is that you had Rucka, Morrison, peak-Johns, and Waid driving the direction of the characters. DC actually let their talent do interesting stuff without much editorial interference (which is what pissed off Didio about 52 which told a story he didn't want told).

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

Okay, fine, but if you limit it to each column, it is still saying you could read, say, War of Kings #3-6 followed by War of Kings #1-2 because the word "may" implies an option. It's just a minor personal annoyance and I get what it's trying to say and no one is actually going to do that.

I never let any stinking reading orders tell me what order to read my comics.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I recently read Magneto Testament (a book that left me somewhat disappointed and underwhelmed)and it got me wondering. I know Magneto's Jewishness has been mentioned and approached a few times in comics but has it ever come up in regards to Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

Well I don't think their mother was Jewish so they wouldn't be either.

True. But have they acknowledged that their father survived the Holocaust, or that they were raised by a Romany and Jewish Holocaust survivor.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

bobkatt013 posted:

Avengers, New Avengers, Mighty Avengers, Avengers World, and the fifth is Uncanny Avengers.

As someone who hasn't read Avengers....ever, what is the difference between all these titles?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Age of Apocalypse is a good one too...I've seen people slam it as the worst event ever, but some were super excited about the omnibus.

I always considered AoA to be a big comic done right, but should it really be considered an "event comic"? Stuff like AoA and No Man's Land are long multi-level story arcs that might be limited in scope but still change up the status quo for the title over a long period of time. I always assumed event comics were more mini-series set up to change everything.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Wouldn't the most creepy one be the female Green Lantern who willed herself older so she could get with Hal Jordan?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
As far as I know Wolverines don't have retractable adimantium claws too.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
When I lived in South Africa we had assigned seating for movie theatres since forever....AND IT DIDN'T COST EXTRA! Here in Canada you can pay to see a movie without assigned seating and line up like a chump (for a movie ticket that already costs you $12.95) or you can go see a movie with special assigned seating and reclining chairs for $18.95.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

That's it?

EDIT: I guess that's what an evening non-3D movie costs here, but start adding 3D and IMAX and you get an $18 ticket I paid for GotG. I'm hooked on a feeling that this movie better be awesome.

I forgot to add in the 3D charges because I hate 3D but my friend insists on seeing movies in 3D. Those usually bump the price up to 15 odd dollars.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

BadAstronaut posted:

There is no thing that can not start a fight on the Internet...

The internet is where I go to for civil discussion about stupid comic books.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Is there any issues of Batman/Detective Comics that deal with the legal ramifications of Batman beating up perps? One would think some perp getting beaten up and left on the cops doorsteps would be a one way trip to all charges dropped/mistrial.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

In context, the first one almost works, almost.

Yea it is heavy handed and whatnot, but in context it can sort of work.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Superman doesn't have super-kerning I guess.

I don't know about that; Incorporated has him literally turn his identity into a franchise.

Also look at how quickly Dick Grayson lasted as Batman.

edit: I'm giggling to myself at the idea of people looking up at the moon and thinking "those are pretty awesome words Superman, but who the gently caress is Clark Kent and why should I listen to him?"

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Jerry Cotton posted:

Here's a question that pooped into my mind today at the flea market when I saw a stack of Youngblood comic books for 4€ (the stack, not per issue): do people who grew up reading that stuff have some kind of attachment to it? Do people wax nostalgic over Rob Liefeld comics?

I wax nostalgic on Spawn. Is that the same thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I'm sure this has been addressed so what was the Green Lantern who was responsible for Krypton's deal? You would think that letting a planet not blow up would have been on the Green Lantern's to do list.