Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
One thing I have always wondered is does having signatures or doodles on comics increase their worth? I have a first issue of Saga that I assume is worth tens of dollars but I also have a random issue of Saga (I think it's number 3 or 4) that has a character sketch by Fiona Staple on it that she did for me at a con (well for a friend who gave it to me). Is that random issue now worth something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

CopywrightMMXI posted:

How large is everyone’s collection? I have around 2500 comics (not including trades/omnibuses). I collected from about 1993-2008 and then got back into the hobby in 2020.

Somewhere between 500-1,000 but I do a weed every now and again and get rid of a hundred odd. Despite being thin magazines they can take up a lot of room very quickly.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
When it comes to weeding/purging I try figure out if there are comics I will ever want to re-read again, or even enjoyed the first time around. During the pandemic I did re-read a lot of my runs to see if I still enjoyed them and wanted to keep them or not. I also made more of an effort to replace some single runs with trades as I am more likely to re-read a trade than multiple single issues.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
I always ask for a personal signature on my stuff (ie made out to me). I feel like it makes the item more personal rather than just something everyone else has.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
Lucifer is great beginning to end but it really felt like one continuous storyline throughout whereas Sandman has the short stories and individual story arcs. I felt with Lucifer you needed to read it beginning to end where with Sandman I could pull up a random trade and be satisfied.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
I remember getting the trade for IC and thinking it sucked big time. I gave it to my buddy had a small passing interest in comic books and hadn't really read any since he was a kid and he thought it was great so through these anecdote I thought maybe IC is good for people who don't care about comic book characters. Or plot. Or storylines that make sense.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
I remember hearing somewhere that the higher the number the more crazy poo poo happens on that world/more unstable that world is. I don't know if that is cannon or not though.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
It has some awesome Jae Lee before he was the Jae Lee art.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
I draw it too artistic license and trying to make him more imposing. Also when he moved away from being an Iron Fist villain and to being a Wolverine villain is when the change mostly happened and I think artists just wanted to make him more intimidating when going up against Wolverine.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

I’ve been buying the New Teen Titans trades and volume 9 isn’t available for love or money.

I think it was in print for a month. You can get any volume but that one.

Ask me about waiting 6 years for Spectre Vol. 3 to come out. It will never come out.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

thetoughestbean posted:

What’s it like waiting for Spectre Vol. 3 to come out?

It sucks and I have gone through the several steps of grieving and am on acceptance (that it will never come out)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
I'm re-reading New X-Men by GMo for the first time since I bought the trades ages ago. I hadn't really read X-Men since Age of Apocalypse so I know there is a huge gap between then and New X-Men but reading New X-Men now I'm wondering what the status of X-Men was months before New X-Men came out. They mention Cyke being mind controlled by who I assume was Apocalypse so I guess that was a thing. What happened to Gambit and Rogue though as they aren't mentioned at all in New X-Men? Was there another team running around during New X-Men? Was there any big stuff going on a year before? I'm just wondering because outside of the Cyke stuff it doesn't really reference much going on outside of itself.
Also on a side note I got to say that the comic treats the death of 16 million people kind of as an afterthought. You would think that there would be wider consequences for that.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
So these were going on concurrent to New X-Men? Did they address the Genoshan genocide more? Also outside of the Austen run any of those worth tracking down/reading?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

And Angel and Husk gently caress

In the sky

With her entire family watching

I have heard all the horror stories about Austen's run but for some reason I assumed it came after GMo's New X-men. I'm glad that there wasn't any bleed over between titles as I do hate the feeling I am getting half a story and I should be reading 5 other titles to understand what is going on (looking at your current Krokoan era books) but was wondering if there was other things going on while GMo basically reinvented/updated the X-Men franchise.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
I already apologize for asking this but what the hell does a multiverse of multiverses even mean?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
I love Batman but I think there should be a moratorium on certain things like:

1. Gotham City being completely taken over by someone/something. Every week it seems Gotham has been completely taken over by someone and it just gets so old so fast.

2. Villains killing people in the tens/hundreds/thousands. We don't need to see how serious a threat the Condiment King is now because he killed 800 orphans.

3. The Joker.

4. Intergalactic threats.

5. Everyone in the JLA saying "where's Batman?" where is Batman.

6. Batman bring the center or the world.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Beerdeer posted:

Is there a book that’s really considered the first “modern” book? Like that leaves behind the narration boxes and lovely art from the 90s? Is it Ultimate Spider-Man?

Saying ultimate Spider-Man left behind narration boxes is hilarious (unless you are talking about omnipotent narrator).

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
I will say that one thing I notice marvel doesn't do anymore which I wish they would is everytime a different character appears on the page for the first time the narration says "this is so and so whose my best friend and their powers are such and such". It really feels like it you haven't been following certain runs for years and years you are poo poo out of luck with introductions for characters.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
Just think of how many times has a old Bruce Wayne relive his mother's pearls falling to the ground.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
The whole thing felt so tone deaf that each side could project whatever they wanted on it. It was like a Rorschach test where everyone just saw a strawman. in fact it is quite surprising that there wasn't a character called Strawman.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

El Gallinero Gros posted:

They also teased Bruce & Diana as a couple in the DCAU, with Bruce actually having a pretty good explanation as to why it wouldn't work

The episode where the league is turned into children has the best interactions between Bruce and Diana. An all time favourite episode.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Nessus posted:

What were they? I ain't got time to watch TV, I have comics to read!!

Also you should make time. Justice League is some awesome TV and way better than the justice League comics you would read.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
DC has their Black Label line which is supposed to be out of continuity comics (most of the time even though those same said comics may pull things from continuity).

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
I'm reading Batman: No Man's Land for the first time and I will admit that this was originally printed when I was out of comics and I slowly came back in after the event. I know that Cassandra Cain (Batgirl) was introduced in NML but I always thought that with her first appearance she didn't speak (remember reading how she was raised not to verbally communicate and thought it was only when she got away from Cain that she slowly started to talk) but in the first few issues into NML she is talking and joking and and is really confident. I am wondering if I am remembering wrong about her not being able to talk, if she was ever shy or if the creators kind of figured out her backstory and retconned her personality after the event.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
I found Alabaster: Wolves and Grimmer Tales at a yard sale and picked them up because they were cheap and quite enjoyed them. When I looked into the titles it seems like they came out between 2012-2016 and nothing since and I can't really get a reading order although Grimmer Tales definitely comes after Wolves. Wondering if the story continues on after Grimmer Tales. I saw that there is another trade but I think the release date for that was before Grimmer Tales.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
Be aware that Astro City ages in "real time" so a lot of characters appear over and over again but have full on development and life events. The trades can be read separately as stand alones that tell great stories but reading them in order (especially the DC/Vertigo stuff) really enhances the experience as you get to see the characters age.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

bessantj posted:

I've read the first volume of Astro City and enjoyed it very much I've bought the second ready to read it.

Thanks to Humble Bundle I've read The Pro and as it's written by Ennis I'm guessing it's a send up of super hero comics but loving hell what was he going for?

Wouldn't it be funny if a prostitute got superpowers and hung out with all the sexually repressed heroes which is basically what heroes are anyway. Ain't that funny. Look at me I am laughing already.

At least it had fun Amanda Conner art.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
Just a friendly reminder that libraries are your friends. My pull list has definitely shrunk over the years but I find I am reading more than ever because I can pick up trades at the library that I would never have even thought to buy and if I don't like them, well it didn't cost me anything, and if I do like them and feel like it's something I want I can buy a copy.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
I liked Duke in the I am Robin series but since then he has gotten a new costume and done nothing. I'm not saying that he needs his own solo comic but it would be nice if he appeared in a few comics instead of just a background character. Put him Nightwing and have him learn from Grayson or something. Give him some character development.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
Duke's parents were infected by Joker's super Joker gas or something and Bruce promised to find a cure. I don't know if it has ever been mentioned since.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Lobok posted:

Has there ever been a mutant who did the opposite? Abandon their former name and truly adopt their "codename" as their actual name?

I think in a few Ultimate X-Men comics Magneto spends a panel or two telling mutants to "shed" their human names and embrace their homo superior names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Selachian posted:

My favorite is the Silver Age Atom, where Jean Loring refuses to marry Ray Palmer because she's a successful lawyer and doesn't want to give up her career -- you know, the way a married woman is expected to.

It's a shame that the only thing I know about Loring is that she doesn't know how to get the attention of man still in love with her, and she likes to carry around a flamethrower.