Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

CzarChasm posted:

In the Marvel universe, there are comic books that are inspired by their "real life" hero counterparts. I recall that there are Spider-man and Daredevil comics, which are kind of like the old pulp horror comics, and I want to say Captain America has a comic too (possibly drawn by Steve himself?)

Does DC have anything like that?

In Suicide Squad Grant Morrison was sent on a mission with the squad and was promptly killed. He couldn't write his way out of a death scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

CapnAndy posted:

No, the DC characters don't have their own in-universe comics. There are winks on both sides that Marvel publishes comics in the DCU and DC publishes comics on Earth-616, though.

Actually in Detective Comics #622-624 there is an unauthorized Batman comic which is pretty freaking twisted. Basically a comic writer and artist put their interpretation of Batman into a comic book, within a comicbook.

edit: Also the Watchmen comicbook made an appearance in The Question.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Corte posted:

Are there any resources compiling recommended reading lists for comic books? I know the recommended reading thread has a post but I'm wondering if there's anything more comprehensive. For example I'm interested in trying to tackle The Flash but can't see myself reading the whole catalog, basically hoping for a best hits version that gives me the broad strokes.

ComicAlliance recently put out a Flash reading list.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

The word cryptofacist was invented by writer/political commentator Gore Vidal to describe writer/political commentator William F Buckley. Buckley founded noted conservative magazine The National Review. His son, novelist Christopher Buckley, was forced to resign from that magazine after endorsing Obama in 2008. Read something that doesn't have pictures for once.

I would read it if Darkseid was the one who created noted conservative magazine The National Review and writer/political commentator Clark Kent wrote the word "cryptofascist.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

You realize this would also be a book where Darkseid says to Clark Kent "Now listen, you queer, stop calling me a crypto-Nazi or I'll sock you in your goddamn face, and you'll stay plastered."

As long as he says it while sitting on Clark's couch I can see it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Someone who likes or is fascist but doesn't want to admit it. The same for other "crypto-X" things.

Darkseid isn't because he's open about who he is and isn't fascist except under a pointlessly broad definition.

What about Magneto? Or Dr. Doom? Or Lex Luthor?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Chinaman7000 posted:

Bigfoot Hitler is my favorite cryptofacist.

I personally like the Loch Ness Mussolini.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
We are talking about a man who regenerated himself from a single drop of blood.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Lobo was created as a Wolverine parody and this is one of the aspects that it ripped off.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Dr. Hurt posted:

If you really really want to go in-depth about it, there's the Ten-Cent Plague. It's a very well written and researched book about the death of horror and crime comics by the Comics Code. Unfortunately I don't really know any quick articles about it.

Just want to second this book. It gives a really good over-view of the society at the time, the history of comics, and the absolute insanity that went into trying to get comics banned.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

Since he's apparently going to be a major character in The Flash TV show, can someone explain who Firestorm is?

Here is a brief rundown. The first Firestorm was Ronnie Raymond/Prof. Stein. Raymond was a somewhat dumb jock who want to anti-nuclear power demonstration to impress some girl. There was a meltdown and some magical radioctive things happened and Raymond's body combined with Stein's consciousness to form Firestorm. This was for the best as Raymond wasn't really great at science stuff so he depended on Steins voice inside his head to beat villains with more than just fire-blasts.
Due to flagging sales Ostrander came onto the title and changed Firestorm into a fire elemental that was pretty...trippy I want to say (I haven't read those comics since I was 10 so cut me some slack).
Later on Raymond "dies" and his powers transfer into Jason Rusch (who has also been cast in Flash apparently). Jason was also a high school kid but smarter than Ronnie. Unlike Ronnie who bonded with Stein, Jason could bond his powers with whoever was nearby. The downside of this was that it generally drained the person Jason bonded with. Anyway after a shaky start the Jason Firestorm stuff got pretty good so of course it wasn't longed for this world.
Enter the new 52 which was fairly lovely (though I heard it get better after the initial creative team left the book but I stopped reading it by then) which had Jason and Ronnie be classmates who hate each other (one's the jock, the others the brains, oh no!). The were each a separate Firestorm but when they combined they became Fury.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

prefect posted:

There was a boy-girl Firestorm before Blackest Night, wasn't there? And then she got killed. :(

That was Jason's girlfriend Gehenna, who had her own rather unique powers.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

If I remember right Timely/Atlas/Marvel signed a deal with National/DC in the fifties to distribute their books because the market was so far in the toilet. The deal ended in I want to say 1968 because of Marvel's popularity.

Remember, at the time proto Marvel was a tiny player in the market. And DC wasn't the media giant they are today. DC limited Marvel to 8 titles a month. That worked just fine for a company that published weird monster books and little else.

DC never published for Marvel as such.

Didn't DC/Warner consider buying out Marvel when they were going bankrupt in the 90's too?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
I followed USM via the trades initially and I had no issue with the pacing. It was only when I started reading them via floppies that it became glaring how long it would take for a single storyline to finish.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
I can forgive mediocre artwork if the story is good but bad artwork annoys the hell out of me. I have a bit of a wide taste for artwork so I don't mind the more experimental stuff (Kieth and Jones being favourites) but bad artwork just makes reading a comic feel like a mission in misery.
One book I did pick up for the art alone was I, Vampire.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

The only time I can recall being driven off of a book due to the art was Steven T. Seagle's Alpha Flight, with art by (IIRC) Duncan Rouleau. Rouleau's work has become something I enjoy in the right context, over time, but on that particular series, his storytelling skills were terrible; even in the panels I thought looked good, I still couldn't figure out what in the blue hell was going on.

I can handle very stylized art. I can even handle bad art. But incomprehensible art defeats the entire loving purpose of being a comic book. Liefeld's art is awful, but at least you can usually figure out what's going on (admittedly, "what's going on" in a Liefeld book usually means "Abominations and mutants stand around in pin-up poses while being surrounded by words, and then later something explodes").

This is the same problem I'm running into with the current Winter Soldier book, which I actually find amazing to look at... and nigh-impossible to read. Great art, lovely storytelling.

One thing that I find jarring isn't necessarily bad art but a change in artwork/direction. I know artists might not be able to keep up with the workload and sometimes fill-in's are there. While this can be jarring, it is usually temporary and a bit of a necessary evil. However, the one thing that I do find jarring is when there is a long-term artist on a book who is replaced with another long term artist and the style takes a radical change. I have been reading Brubakers Catwoman run with initial art by Darwin Cooke (who I love) and the final collection has artwork by Pulacy (who I don't have a problem with outside of Catwoman) and the artwork switch is so off-putting that I find myself not really enjoying the Pulacy stuff at all. The stories are still okay (though the seemed to peak with the Relentless storyline) but every time I look at a Pulacy panel I feel sad that it isn't a Cooke panel instead.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
In regards to readers voting for something, there was the whole Marvelle debacle with U Decide. Can't remember the details. Something to do with Jemas betting PAD that he could sell more comics or something.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

A Strange Aeon posted:

And thanks everybody for the information about reader voting--it seems like it's actually never been too common or consistent, other than with the Legion of Super Heroes, I guess.

Which is just as well because most comic fans are idiots.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Mr. Maltose posted:

A buddy who is new to comics asked me about good/landmark LGBT focused or friendly books. That's a bit out of my knowledge base, so what should I recommend?

Fun Home.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
Hey, I have a non shapeshifter junk question. Has Savage ever teamed up with/met with Ra's al Ghul? I figured the two immortals must have met sometime in the past. Has it ever happened?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
My co-worker has expressed an interest in X-Men lately after binging through all the movies. She really liked Beasts character in the more recent movies and asked if I could recommend some stories featuring Beast in a prominent role and outside of New X-Men I really couldn't think of any. So are there any really good Beast centered stories out there?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

Don't be an rear end in a top hat.

It's a BSS right of passage.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
Were there ever any prominent female writers back in the day, or were all the characters being written by men?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Acne Rain posted:

here's the whole loving conversation for goons who do not understand what "context" means

I didn't mean to start this. I was just curious if there were any women writers back in the day.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Unmature posted:

Be a woman.

I was going to say "be a character who is married to a superhero" but this too.

edit: beaten

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I recall real backgrounds and no computer effects on that one.

That was also pretty much the only Hawkman story worth a drat in my lifetime.

That's only because DC has never collected Ostrander's Hawkworld series.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

A clusterfuck caused by writers not agreeing with each other about anything happened to her.

If I remember correctly 90's Spiderman was the biggest clusterfuck to ever happen in comics.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

ecavalli posted:

Yup. Mephisto even mentions that the baby would've become the greatest superhero in history before casting his magic divorce spell.

All so an 90 year old women can continue living.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
How many single issues did the whole stupid thing take? I remember reading Spiderman every now and again because I like Scarlet Spiders costume. I didnt care for clones though.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
Clone Saga just kept upping and upping the stakes of stupidity. How did the thing end anyway?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
Wildcat over here.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

CapnAndy posted:

Same fight, apparently Flash can be defeated by sticking a sword behind yourself and waiting for him to impale himself on it, since he couldn't see that coming or anything. Really, the entire Deathstroke-always-wins-he's-so-smart-and-cool thing that DC finally gave up on flogging after his Nu52 solo book flopped.

Also it's a murder mystery where the killer's motivation is "bitches be crazy" and she could have accomplished her goal at any time by literally asking for it, and the initial murder gets justified because the murderer didn't actually intend to kill anyone, but packed a flamethrower just in case.

I read the IC as a trade years after it came out so I guess I was a bit older when I read it than most, but the whole reveal/motivation thing was the thing that bothered me most. Jean's plans made no loving sense, and the fact that Ray wanted to get back with her before she started killing friends with flamethrowers made it definitely seem like a case of "bitches be crazy". The reveal of this was stupid as well as it played on the whole cliche of "...but I didn't mention that she was pooped on the brain. Only the killer would have known that". Also the whole comic made every hero in it seem like an incompetent moron.

Funnily enough, I gave my trade to a friend who hadn't read comics in over a decade and he really liked IC, so maybe it might have more appeal to new readers.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

Since I'm currently reading 52 and read Infinite Crisis before that, Identity Crisis was what started Bruce's whole Brother Eye/OMAC thing, correct? What were the other effects on the DC universe between the two IC's?

New Firestorm!

Otherwise....er.....villains find out that the heroes brainwashed them to be idiots and didn't like that.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

Oh is that why they all teamed up together. Infinite Crisis basically starts in the middle of a ton of different disasters, it's kind of confusing if you didn't read the lead up.

There was the one-shot called Villains United (which shot off to Secret Six) that basically deals with the villains kind of being pissed off and getting together to take down the heroes.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
I thought he was angry because his world (and every one else's) got destroyed and the only world that survived was filled with heroes who were acting like jerks. From there he just got caught up in the moment until he fully embraced his evil side.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
Gavok: Can you just rate the Street Fighter characters on how awesome/not awesome they were in the live action movie? Thanks.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

prefect posted:

The only Bison that matters.

I almost forgot that while filming Julia was dying of cancer :(

Anyway, here is a great write-up about all the filming troubles behind the Street Fighter movie. Really worth a read.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
And have a thing for red heads (at least until Emma came along).

As for Moore' there is still one issue of Swamp Thing that I have never read because it just felt like such a chore to get through all the wordiness. That being said, he is nowhere as annoying as Claremont who constantly gives exposition and wordiness to things that are clearly shown on the page.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

WickedHate posted:

Darkseid is overrated. Not as much as the Joker, but Jesus Christ, I want to see him get the smug smile punched off his face some more. He's so unflappable. A good villian falls from their heights.

Darkseid has a weakness for comfy couches!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
As someone who doesn't really read Fantastic Four, who is Valeria and what special powers does she have?