Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Metal Loaf posted:

Which writer is responsible for inventing the Speed Force as a concept?

Mark Waid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Metal Loaf posted:

That's actually quite surprising. It doesn't seem that recent.

It's not especially recent. Mark Waid's run started with this issue, in mid-1992. That's as far from this issue as it is from this one.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Kyle Baker art means it can't be less than very good.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I've never seen this alleged "bad Baker art" and so choose to believe that you're all funnin' me, cruelly.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The Byrneinator was a fussy continuity cop on a level that makes a hypothetical Voltron of Roy Thomas, Geoff Johns, and Dan Slott look like an easy-going Jeph Loeb.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The Goblin That Eats Clean-Line Pencillers Once Per Decade can only wake up if people get into too many internet slapfights about meaningless bullshit, so we should all just agree that one or more people made a mistake somewhere in this Runaways conversation, then drop the subject, like civilized adults.

You already killed Mike Parobeck and Mike Wieringo, people. Don't kill again with this conversation.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Here's a thing that's bothered me for a while: What degree of significance should we give to Quentin Quire (etymologically) and Five-in-One meaning close to the same thing? And if the etymology doesn't seem meaningful, the kid's name is pronounced quint in choir, which, you know: a set of quintuplets, speaking as one.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Twilight of the Superheroes

Superman 2000

e: And by googling both of those together, I found a couple of articles with more unrealized pitches: here's one article, and here's the other.

Plus the original, abandoned Emerald Twilight.

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 22, 2015

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Superman shouldn't be in a situation where it matters how strong he is. :colbert: He has All The Strong (and All The Fast, and All The Tough). A good Superman challenge should involve how to navigate idealism through the ambiguities of a morally complicated reality. I'm also cool with them being therapy for the reader/writer.
:goonsay:

fakey fake edit: For instance, Mongul's whole thing is that he's swole enough to stand up to Superman in a straight physical fight, but the best Mongul story (and one of the better Superman stories), For the Man Who Has Everything, puts very little of the tension on the Superman/Mongul fist-fight. The drama comes from Original Writer being scared, sad, and angry about Thatcher's Britain, and the question of whether or not Superman can help OW deal with those feelings before Mongul murders Batman and Robin.

real edit: Obviously, some big, uncomplicated punch-up stories aren't a problem, but they should be the exception.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

There are more ways to temporarily shut down mutant powers than I can count. Did any story ever address why Rogue didn't try using any of them on a regular basis? Even if it was just Rogue looking directly through at the fourth wall and saying that we shouldn't think about that.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Does it have to be a big collar, though? Redesign it as a belt and bring belted sweater dresses back into style at the nightclubs.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Senor Candle posted:

The Leech thing is only a problem because he will never age. If he was an adult he could make a killing providing that service.

This proves that aging exists because of some ancient mutant stealing life energy from everything on Earth to remain immortal.

im a scientist now

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Hey now, "nimrod" only came to be an insult because of Bugs Bunny's sarcasm.

As for the other pink Sentinels, Motherfucker and Poops, thereby hangs a tale:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Do the Psycho Pirate and New Gods still have memories that transcend reboots?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

What ever happened to Tom Nguyen? I liked his inks on Mahnke's pencils. Heck, I liked the one time I saw his own pencil work. Is he still in the industry?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Both Monica Rambeau and Misty Knight were cops. Considering that the characters were created before the US military allowed women into combat-oriented roles, I'd argue that cop or enlisted nurse were about as close as you could get to making them soldiers (or sailors, etc.).

e: Blade? Does he have incarceration of the military in his backstory?

e2: J. J. Thunder? Probably a number of Milestone heroes. Here's a bonus round: Black characters who grew up with two non-abusive parents alive and present in their lives.

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Dec 3, 2015

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Cyphoderus posted:

With someone like T'Challa you get the feeling the writers made him a super-genius with infinite resources and Wakanda the most advanced nation on Earth to sort of... compensate their being African.

I read Wakanda as intentionally a fictionalization of the Ethiopian Empire, with the religious/cultural riches pulp-fictioned into super-technology and super-resources (vibranium, mostly), and the isolationist self-sufficiency turned up so high that even the Ethiopic Church and Solomonic dynasty get swapped for a native-born religion which confers legitimacy to the ruler. (And the Lion of Judah motif is swapped for a panther.)

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

trashbuilder posted:

I always read Wakanda as a kind of subversive dig at British imperialism and the kind of Euro-centric view of history and the word "Civilization". Wakanda flourished because it was isolated and strong during the British and Euro countries "colonizing" Africa and "Taming the savages." By any historical context most African nations had functional, yet different, society than Euro nations and were flourishing but imperialism and colonization created an unlevel playing field creating poverty and host of other problems ("inter-tribe" fighting, foreign entities controlling resources, etc etc) that would not have existed had say no Euro nation had colonized them, like if a whole nation hid from the white devils, like Wakanda.

Ethiopia remained independent throughout the "scramble for Africa"! :mil101:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Cyphoderus posted:

I love Wakanda to death, but I really, really doubt this kind of thinking went into its creation. We're talking about 1966 here, Fantastic Four #52. Early FF thrived on character moments and Kirby's art; the Marvel Universe itself at the time (especially the part that interacted with the FF) was of secondary importance, hardly more than a patchwork collection of pulp action ideas and springboards. I really think Wakanda was just Lee and Kirby getting a kick out of surprising their characters and readers with the contrast between half-naked, tribal-dancing people and ultra technology.

I'm just learning this now as I google-poo poo around, but apparently there was a lengthy (~35 pp) article on Ethiopia in an early 1965 issue of National Geographic, and it did address some aspects of the Solomonic dynasty. At the very least, there's a good reason that Kirby might have been inspired by Ethiopia specifically at the time he was doing the FF issue.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I don't know, given the history of, y'know, Africa, I'm pretty sure that it's reasonable of Wakanda to say "We could make things better for our entire continent but the moment we do, you know good and well that we're gonna get invaded by white dudes for all eternity, people who won't be satisfied until they've stripped our land of all of its resources and left it a withered husk while demanding that we follow their religions and use their languages and essentially wiping out our cultural identity, and we sort of don't want that to happen so let's see what we can do to make the world a better and safer place more subtly without just handing out Do-It-Yourself-Garden-Of-Eden-Kits."

It's a hyper-advanced nation that only got to reach hyper-advanced status by keeping their heads low, it's sort of hard to hate on them for sticking with that successful strategy IMHO.

Not to mention, what they're doing is status quo for world powers. No one, including China, seems excited to lift North Koreans out of their present situation. The US isn't doing much to help lift up the quality-of-living floor for Mexico's poorest, nor helping aggressively to help out with narcotrafficker violence—and the US is by some measures the richest nation in the world, and by most measures one of the most militarily powerful in the world's history. At least Wakanda can point to so much of their wonder-workings relying on vibranium, which is both finite in quantity and highly weaponizable, to justify not proliferating it to their neediest neighbors.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

It is super loving rad to see one of the most thoughtful, skilled, and intense essayists working today just nerd the gently caress out about how Black Panther's super-armor should let him do Jedi moves.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

SiKboy posted:

So while Fisk might experience the pain of vicitms and their families killed on his orders,

Ghost RICO? :prepop:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Should have gotten Wolverine to suggest it. He can say it so strikingly.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Ultragonk posted:

I get wanting to put your mark on something but they must have about every type of mutant they could possibly want at the moment. I'd rather see existing mutants have their story expanded.

Someone isn't reading Tom Brevoort's sassy tumblr!

doobiewrap posted:

With over 70 years Its clear that marvel has one of the biggest character pools in the industry, why do you think creators continue to make new characters for their series? Specifically I mean why add a new white male character to a book when you could've just used one (with the same power set and everything) that hasn't gotten any major attention since the 70 - 90's? it's like having access to the worlds biggest toy box but staying your phone instead

Brevoort posted:

Because a power set is only the slightest thing there is to a character. People create the characters they need in order to tell their stories. They may not be aware of earlier characters, or those characters may have aspects to them that don’t fit in with what the story is going to be. Plus, it can feel exclusionary for certain readers to bring back an obscure character from decades ago if you don’t need to. On top of which, you never know what new character is going to hit–certainly Spider-Gwen was a surprise that wouldn’t have happened if some other established spider-person such as Jessica Drew or Julia Carpenter had been used there.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Oh, as long as he's hitting her for her own good, that's—

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

redbackground posted:

Sue and Ralph Dibny were doing Just Fine until DC editorial had their way with them.

Rule of thumb for franchise comics discussion: When people like a story, they say that a character did or said something; when people dislike it, they say that the writers made a character do or say it.

When everyone on the goddamn planet is saying that DC's editors imposed the last decade or more of happenings on their characters, I worry.

Please get better, DC. We want to love you. :(

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

Ralph and Sue would've been cool if they actually followed up on the dead detectives thing after 52.

Tangent to this, but what the hell do people mean when then day that these two are like Nick and Nora Charles? Half the fun of those movies is that those two are jazzy high-society alcoholics who constantly drop zingers on each other, but with love. The only common point with them and the Dibnys is the crime-solving. What am I missing?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Dr. Hurt posted:

Didn't they come back in Batman and the Outsiders? Of course this actually requires someone reading and caring about Batman and the Outsiders.

cool newz u can use: Science proves conclusively that Geo-Force is a poo poo character and nobody likes him.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

zoux posted:

Speaking of Geoforce why are there so few gravity powered superheroes? There are like a billion electricity guys, magnet guys, light guys, etc. I can think of two that are exclusively gravity, Graviton and the redundantly named Gravity. Maybe it's too hard to come up with decent names.

Dick Rider's generic space blasts were gravity-flavored, if you count that.

e: And to answer your question, it's because no one wants to get the Geo-Force stink on their characters. He's tainted an entire fundamental force with his crapness.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Graviton once teamed up with three other villains to rep the four forces, villainously. The strong force guy was just strong and made duplicates, instead of exploding things into hydrogen. :eng99:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

redbackground posted:

There's Black Mass, who also has them gravity powers.

There's also this Black Hole, courtesy Gerber.

e: Black Sun, Jonathan Black, Zey-Rogg (zero-g), G-Force

and octo-sapien

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 17, 2015

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Older superheroes (e.g. Superman) who have energy beam powers tend to shoot the beams from their faces. Somewhat more modern superheroes (e.g. Carol Danvers) tend to shoot beams from their hands. There are exceptions, but when did the dominant blasty style switch from faceblasts to handblasts?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Travis343 posted:

Marvel probably uses hand beams more often because they have a character whose entire power is eyebeams. On the other hand aside from Kryptonians I can't think of any DC characters known for their eyebeams.

And J'onn J'onzz, the Manhunter from Mars! And anyone who blasts things from their mouth, or forehead. I'm betting that more than a few Legion of Superheroes members count, but heck if I'm going to try remembering them all. A number of robots fire eyebeams, as well.

Just thinking out loud here: There does seem to be something offputting or inhuman about head/face blasts, versus hand blasts. Maybe that's why so many robots have them, and why even after they fell out of fashion, more "cosmic" characters like Darkseid still spray death from their eyes. That, aside from Superman references, could also be why disproportionately many of the faceblasters I can think of also have capes (and fly or hover)—capes are regal as all hell, and can make a character seem that much more aloof. As more accessible, flawed, human Heroes became the norm, so did hand blasts and capeless costumes.

The Vision, as an inhuman flying robot with a cape and forehead lasers, is like Exhibit A here. A late example, but god drat, everything else fits.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Also Graviton is Canadian, which has to count as some kind of handicap.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

Didn't Mark Gruenwald try and create a distaff counterpart for Captain America?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Actually, French-Cut Unitards for Heroin is widely considered the third-most successful exchange program in modern law enforcement, after Toys for Guns and Toys for Tots.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I know versions of Deadpool and Spidey were involved in the same Exiles run, but I don't think they ever interacted. Ain't 100% on that, tho.

They were briefly on the same reality-hopping Weapon X team! The Spider first appears in issue #12, and Deadpool dies in #13, according to Wikipedia. :pseudo:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Ultragonk posted:

Can I pretend X-Men: Deadly Genesis doesn't exist? Because that recon was blah.

Sort of yes, sort of no. It's a v. silly story, but a good deal of stuff references (elements of) it later, like Darwin and Vulcan. More than that, Deadly Genesis (alongside the Son of M minis) helps set the tone of the post-House of M X-line, where you aren't expected to endorse the characters' choices, or even necessarily like the characters—just enjoy the exploration of decision and boldface Impact font CONSEQUENCES. The decade of siege mentality Rightclops, multiple X-Force murder squads, and time kidnapper Beast begins in earnest with this re-jerkening of Professor X.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Ultragonk posted:

OK dad. :(

Cyclops and Prof. X really are jerks aren't they.

Yeah, but a jerk who can read and control minds and has no sense of academic ethics is inherently more jerkish than a jerk with a kevlar body condom and a gun for a face who is also right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Ultragonk posted:

Plus a lot of really fit women seem to want Cyclop's wang.

Telepaths have a natural affinity for a person who is so incredibly right.