Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

I really don't see anything there, y'all just weird and crazy and should stop seeing made-up things.

Really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I thought they were only running at the same time after #600 came out.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

CzarChasm posted:

I don't have numbers, but I'd imagine that in my lifetime, the peak comic readership was for Death of Superman. I mean, that was huge. TV News stations took time to report on this event like it was a real person that was dying.

This is also about the same time where everyone was convinced that there was good money in comics collecting. People were under the assumption that they could buy any comic with "#1" on the cover, and in 20 years, it would easily net $10,000.

If Death of Superman was the peak, your average Joe realizing that comics were more or less worthless on the open market would be the bottom.

I thought X-Men #1 was the best selling comic of all time.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

One day someone needs to examine how all these little magic powers they give Daredevil would make his every day life a living hell.

When they first manifested they did but he has learned how to tune it out a little. At least enough to be able to live in a city.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

prefect posted:

I want to say it's in "Born Again" (I can't find it yet), but there's a scene of him right after the accident in agony from the noises and smells and so forth.

I'm pretty sure they cover that at some point in Waid's run as well.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Opopanax posted:

I can definitely see someone getting frustrated at marvel's constant crossovers

I think they are a lot better now at letting some books just go without the tie-ins and keeping the damage down. Hawkeye has no place being a part of any major event so its been left alone. I also think Hickman is basically doing what Kirkman wanted to do. Other than starting out of Dark Reign his FF didn't cross over with anything that I know of. Infinity was his event and a core part of the story he's telling, but we'll see how Original Sin goes.

DC on the other hand...

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Len posted:

And from my experience the majority of the ones who do know it's a comic won't read it because reading is hard.

And from my experience the people who know it's a comic do read it.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

zoux posted:

I just finished Gillen's run on Journey into Mystery, is that the end of Kid Loki :ohdear:

Read his Young Avengers! All three trades are out.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Threep posted:

Inhumanity was pretty lovely about that with some of the .INH issues being part of the regular numbering and at least one (Iron Man) not.

And then Spider-Man had a completely different Inhumanity: Superior Spider-Man that wasn't a part of his numbered series at all.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Phylodox posted:

Would this age be defined by its own self-awareness? I feel like comics nowadays recognize the silliness in their own premise and, rather than fighting so hard against it like back in the "Dark Ages" of the 90s, they embrace it. I'm also seeing a lot of slice-of-life, naturalistic kind of comics, like Hawkeye and Superior Foes of Spider-Man where there's as much just hangin' out and examining the personal lives of these larger-than-life characters as there is action.

I think it's less about those comics existing, because I think they have for a long time in indie comics, but more that they are being put out by a major publisher using "big" characters.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

zoux posted:

Ok I'm reading Infinity today and I just had my wisdom teeth this morning out so I'm not 100% on my mental game, but I'm confused . The builders are absolutely wrecking the combined fleets of every one ever and reduce them to a fraction of their strength. Then Thor throws a hammer through one dude and suddenly the tide is completely turned. Did I miss something in a tiein or is this just a standard "now we can win because we believe (even though we're down to a tenth of our strength)" comic book deal?

That was the first time anyone saw one of them die close up I think. Many of their ships had been destroyed, but the occupied planets started rising up and overthrowing the Builders.

muscles like this? posted:

It was a rallying thing plus the fact that they got the Kree back on their side.

That too.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Sturm posted:

Was there an actual scene of Venom joining the Guardians or just that little bit in the recap page in issue 14?

It was supposed to be the FCBD issue but that was just Tony telling Flash to go to space.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

zoux posted:

Do the new Marvel Knights books take place in 616?

I'm almost positive they are elseworlds. I've only read the Spider-Man one though.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

zoux posted:

I read the first Wolverine one and it just seemed like any old Wolverine standalone. Beast was there in what looked like his latest mutation form, he teams up with Rogue and Kitty, there wasn't anything that would indicate it was in a different universe.

I thought you were talking about the ones that came out a few months ago?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

zoux posted:

I see....

Also today I saw that Galactus is on the cover or Ultimate Cataclysm, so are they retconning Gah Lak Tus or what here?

Nah he just hopped over to the ultimate universe for a bit

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Mister Nobody posted:

What I don't like is that the girl is one traffic jam away from suicide.

It would be weird if you did like it.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
All-Star Superman is so god drat good.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I disagree, I think Reed knowing that it is his fault that this happened to his loved ones is an important part of his character.
Sorry for the million pictures, had to take them from panel view off my phone.
From the first issue of Mark Waid's F4

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Unmature posted:

I'm reading Daredevil End of Days after finishing Bendis's DD run last night.

Does Milla Donovan get un-blind between these two runs? She certainly doesn't act blind in EoD.

She's just very well adapted to being blind.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

http://www.diamondcomics.com/Home/1/1/3/237?articleID=149729

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Opopanax posted:

I liked Earth 2 but I stopped reading after Robinson left, also just finished reading Demon Knights which starts really good but ends a bit weak when the creative teams change

You shouldn't have dropped it. It has remained really good.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

He's too heavy and very afraid of bodies of water because drowning is basically eternal torture for him.
I'm sure he would die just like anyone else. It might take longer but he would lose consciousness anyways.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

redbackground posted:

What the hell has Tim Sale been up to for the last few years? He's basically disappeared--his comicbookdb entry shows nothing but reprints & collections since like 2009.

I could have sworn I've seen some covers attributed to him recently, but I can't remember which ones!

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

He cut out Xavier's brain from his corpse (because it was just laying around somewhere) and _____ so now he has all of Prof X's powers!

So did he eat the brains or just put them in with his own? You'd think putting a bunch of dead brains into your head would just cause medical issues.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

zoux posted:

Well last time they combined Charles with a supervillian it sure was great and owned, as everyone agrees.

I'm going to go way out on a limb and guess that Axis ends with Charles' brain becoming aware and saving the day at the climatic moment when all seems lost.

Then Xavier takes over Red Skull's body and they just keep it like that for a while.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Well first you should buy it, then throw it away after you're done reading! Problem solved.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I think he did a vodka commercial a while back.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
At one point a child called Daredevil "Red Batman"

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

CzarChasm posted:

I want to say in a recent Deadpool comic someone referred to Hawkeye as "Purple Arrow"

Was that in one of the Hawkeye V Deadpool? That sounds familiar.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Gavok posted:

Oh, goddamn it. I just wrote up a thing about stuff to expect in Avengers: Infinity War and I totally forgot to include the Thanoscopter! At least I was able to fit in Thanos being crushed by a space truck.

The link is pro-click, not for the crap I wrote, but for the guy in the comments losing his poo poo over how Mar-Vell is getting disrespected and everyone should boycott.

Ahaha holy poo poo that guy.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Rhyno posted:

DCBS is the biggest mail order comic retailer in the friggin world. And they undercut prices like crazy.

I will second this. It's run by good people and their prices are really really low.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Chinaman7000 posted:

I can alter the molecular composition of all inorganic(?) material. Better shoot lasers! Same reason Green Lantern is mega lame in 90% of portrayals.

Animation budgets?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

10 Beers posted:

Okay, so what are all the current DC Bat books that are good? I've lost track. Anything else good going on in DC?

I like Batman, Detective Comics, and Batgirl. I also think Justice League and Superman are quite good right now.
EDIT: I don't care about Future's End but the rest of those he listed below are good too

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 3, 2014

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

I can't tell if you did that on purpose or not.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Batgrrl

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
The Kree stuff is a flashback to when they were first doing the experiments that spawned the Inhumans. One of the priests or whatever told the Big Head Dude that one of the Inhumans was eventually going to gently caress him up real bad. So he decided to just destroy everything connected with the Inhumans to prevent that. He ended up missing a couple though.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I'd forgotten about the scene with Prodigy and that version of Loki had technically done none of those things yet.

Just because someone hasn't had sex, doesn't mean they are straight.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Yeah they have properly boned up the trade release of this run. God I hope they give it an omni treatment with a proper reading order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

On the AvX bandwagon, but I just recently got Marvel Unlimited, and I'm wondering if there is a suggested read order? or is this a completely self contained side series? The MU app has separate sections, but doesn't really combine them with the main AvX books...

If you want to read them in order, just add them all to your library. That will just sort them in order of release and you can do that. I don't think you really need anything other than the main book though.