Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

bessantj posted:

I have just finished the short Captain America story "The Bloodstone Hunt." It was pretty decent. One thing I liked was Diamondback's continuing horniness for Cap, also that she could understand ancient Egyptian because she'd been taught it by her team mate The Asp. What are the better good guy/bad guy match ups in comics?

There was a pretty good Madame Masque/Iron Man story line that got a really lovely joke ending/reference at a later time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

There was a WW story from a few years back that's out of continuity that I really liked. Post apocalyptic times, and Wonder Woman is just woken up from a cryo-sleep tube by some scavengers. She wakes to a world overrun by Carpenter-esque, "thing"-like monsters. Can't remember the title, but I thought there were some really great Diana moments.

Completely different subject, and probably not a small question, but a thought just entered my head earlier and I cannot get rid of it. Action Comics #1, the first appearance of Superman is (still?) the most expensive comic you could buy/own as a collector. First appearance of Batman, Spider-man, Hulk, etc, all also generally get top dollar. I understand that comics from that era are rare, now, and that bestows a certain level of value to them. Sure. But why are first appearances so collectable? Along those same lines, why is a rookie card for sports stars so desirable? What is it about first comic appearances that carry so much weight, when pretty often, it's not a great version of that character?

Maybe this is obvious to other people, but something about it just gives me pause.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

This was the one where SPOILERSSSS The Amazons get gassed to death and Superman failed to stop it so Diana pulls out his spine and at the end of the series she's using the indestructible Superspine as a mace right because :doh:

IIRC, it's a little different than that A poison gas is turning people into horrible monsters. It might have started on Themyscara. Diana goes to fight the monsters. The world Government want to use nukes to stop the gas threat. Superman can't or won't stop the nukes. WW goes super saiyan because her bracelets get taken off or destroyed and she punches a hole into superman's chest, killing him. This is the part where she gets put to sleep by Bruce, just before he dies. And because of the rage, Diana doesn't remember what happened or how she got there. After regaining her strength, she goes to the fortress where Superman died, realizes she killed him, and she then rips out his spine and skull like a Mortal Kombat fatality, and lashes it together using the lasso of truth, making the most metal weapon I've seen in a comic in quite a while. It's a wonder woman story by way of Nathan Explosion.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I get the feeling that this might have been covered in one of the most recent X-books that focuses on Nightcrawler, but I haven't read it yet.

So the X-men/all mutants are effectively immortal now. If you are a mutant and you are killed, then the Council of X-men will convene, use their magic eggs, plus the magic of Karakoa and other :technobabble: and will resurrect you. If you die in glorious service of mutantkind, you will get fast tracked to the front of the line. There are some rules that seem to be if you die in another dimension then you come back different at best and wrong at worst. One exception to this resurrection are precogs (but psychics are ok), because there is some real shady poo poo going on.

But in general, the gist is "every mutant who was killed/murdered, whether in the line of duty, or through a lynch mob and everything in-between, is going to be or has been brought back from the dead."

So, has anybody come back and said "What the gently caress? I was dead. I was in heaven with my family, and I was happy. I was at peace. And you brought me back to this miserable existence."

Or have the X-men basically proven that there is no Heaven? No afterlife to speak of. You live, you die, and then nothingness, until your number is called and then you poof back to life, with no adverse side effects*

*citation needed

Also, from what I recall, Warpath 1 is still dead. I thought there was some line about everyone who was an X-man or other named affiliate who died gets the resurrection treatment. I know that's a character no one has thought about in probably 30 years, but you'd think this would be the opportunity to address this.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Interesting. So I feel that could leave the door open for a future story line.

Oh, hey, all those heroes you "resurrected"? Yeah, those are just empty husks. The souls are still in Heaven/Hell/Whatever, so you've been mass producing abominations that are an affront to god and decency.

Also, I guess that's really kind of only good for suicide missions and not say a reconnaissance mission. If you only have memory from before you died.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Cornwind Evil posted:

Here's another question: has it ever really been examined where the Joker gets his money? Yes, you can always handwave 'He steals it', and that works for the likes of Two-Face or Scarecrow, but there's two aspects of Joker that come to mind. One is that writers tend to give him a LOT of money (one story said he had a crack team of lawyers on standby) and the other, which is tied to it, is that another writer wrote how the Joker is so crazy that he has no concept of the values of money, and it explained why he can still get henchmen when he is well known for killing his henchmen for a variety of reasons or just because he felt like it: due to his lack of identifying value, you're gambling that he'll throw half a million dollars your way instead of spraying you with Joker Venom out of his new ring weapon. But if he's so utterly mad that he can't quantify the exact value of money, well...it seems weird that he'd have so much of it.

There's another story idea, if you could think of a good, comicbooky reason: where does the Joker get his funds?

The lawyer thing could go one of a few ways. 1) Joker is crazy, but he's not stupid. If he threatens or kills a lawyer, that would be severely damaging to his ability to stay off of death row (because no one would take his case). But he probably likes the air around him to be that he would kill a lawyer who screwed up his case. Therefore any lawyer that took him on would work super hard to make sure that the case went well. 2) If you are the lawyer who works his case and you "win" by keeping him in Arkham, well, all those other crazies who might have actual money would come to you next, so not getting paid by Joker still works in your favor. Put 1 and 2 together and you end up with sleazy, high profile lawyers who get funded by everyone wanting "the lawyer who kept the joker out of the electric chair", who can do the Joker cases pro-bono, which keeps up the scary appearances.

I think it's less that he doesn't or can't understand the value of money, it's that he doesn't care. Money is useful and valuable if you care about exchanging it for goods and services. But if you would just as easily rob/murder to get what you wanted, why bother with money?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

maltesh posted:

Listening to the Fire& Water Superfriends podcast reminded me of an old edit that was sitting on my hard drive.

Bizzare powers almost always come back, so when was the last time Fire shot flames out of her nose?

They were sitting around the watchtower, Fire was enjoying a nice cup of Sterno when Booster tripped Guy, and made his head bonk into a cabinet.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Kind of a goofy one, but are Mr. Fantastic's stretchy powers conscious or is he always stretchy?

By which I mean, if Juggernaut busted into the Baxter building and grabbed Reed, would he just stretch and keep stretching and Reed may not notice, or does Reed have to think about stretching to do it, and it's like flexing a muscle?

Like Johnny and Sue have to be conscious to use their powers, but Ben is always a rock monster. I think I've seen a few panels where Reed is knocked out in a battle, and he's just stretched out and draped over whatever's handy, so it should be automatic, no?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

So, I know this is comics and thus asking for a consistent portrayal of a long-lived character is pretty silly, but how is Ra's Al Ghul generally depicted in Batman comics? Is he a monster who just wears a friendly face or is there something genuinely noble about him?

I dunno, I'm just thinking of my favorite Batman animated stuff and in the Under the Red Hood movie he saves Jason's life and is portrayed pretty positively. But I was also thinking of the DCAU where his "ending" there was how he possessed Talia's body, pretty much confirming beyond a shadow of a doubt that he he was a supremely selfish piece of poo poo and cared about no one else. These are very different takes and I'm just wondering which might be closer to the comics.

I mean, he's probably DC's closest equivalent to Doctor Doom if that helps. For comparison's sake, Doom briefly wore armor made from the skin of his girlfriend - That's right up there.

That makes me think of a question I had before - Has Ra's scouted anyone else to bring his plans to light? He keeps insisting on having Batman take his place, why not try and convince someone else? It kind of feels like a story that would have happened with Jason if they had decided to go full villain with him when they brought him back originally.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I'm sure it's probably way too early, but I have to imagine that the most recent run(s) of X-men, HOX, POX, Swords, and whatever everything else is will be collected in trades if not some giant omni in the future right?

Or perhaps more smartly, is it all on unlimited? I know that tends to be a month or so behind print, but it would probably take me at least that long to get through the backlog.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Thank you everyone.

I'm a super lapsed X-men reader, but I've been overhearing the stuff that's been going on lately and it's really brought my interest up. But, I also figured I'd wait until it was over to get caught up.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I liked "Life Story", which is an alternate take on the past 60 years of Spider-man stories.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

SiKboy posted:

Uh... So hypothetically if someone had that issue of new mutants, deadpools original miniseries and a near complete* run of deadpool up to and including the gail simone run that might be worth some actual money?

*Never did manage to get that one issue which had a cover aping amazing fantasy #15, and I think maybe a couple other issues missing

Right now, if you look for New Mutants 98, there are about a dozen priced between $500-$2000 on eBay

One of them is signed by Claremont and Fabien, with a little doodle, sealed and rated at a 9.6, one is sealed and rated a 9.8, and most others appear appear to be loose (no rating, no seal).

Now, the one thing I always point out whenever anyone asks about stuff like this is "It's only worth what someone is willing to pay for". These are listed at $500, but I don't see that any have sold for $500 recently.

As for the original miniseries, that's harder to sell to anyone other than a completest. You'd almost want to go in the other direction and see if there were collectors that were missing one or two from their collection and you can help fill in those gaps.

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but selling a comic for several hundred dollars (unless it is actually rare) is unlikely. The above signed, sealed and rated comic is a good example, but I'd never pay $2000 for it myself.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

What is the connection/difference between John Jameson III, Man-Wolf, Jack Russel, and Werewolf by Night?

I got things mixed up and though that Jameson, who has a magical amulet was WWBN. But he is instead Man-Wolf, whose transformation into a werewolf is tied to a mystical amulet.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Not exactly the same thing but the 2013(?) TMNT CGI series did this often, switching between the standard look, an out of place reaction shot, and occasionally a "serious" look. Not comics, but comics adjacent.

Personally, I think it makes sense for something like the YA/comedy books (Squirrel Girl, Ms Marvel, Deadpool), but if I saw it happen in a mainline Wolverine book, I think I would hate it. Unless it was

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

So I was going through my comic collection to get rid of the majority of my Mavel Comics. One of the series I was going to keep was Young Avengers vol 1, but I decided to look at the potential value of these issues and lmao :homebrew:.

I do still want to keep them, but would getting some of these books slabbed be a good idea? Is there an extra safe way to store comics that isn't paying to have the issues slabbed?

For most people, keeping them in long boxes is enough, as long as they are kept out of moisture and away from bugs.

If you want to be extra, and save money, board, bag and put them in an opaque rubbermaid, the smaller the better (to avoid folding/crushing). If you can find one with a gasket to keep out even more moisture, probably better. You might be able to also put them in a vacuum/space saver bag, but those are usually way larger than what you would need. If you know someone with a sous vide machine, they probably have a food bag sealer, which might work. Bag and board first to try and avoid too much creasing.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Air Skwirl posted:

Oh, now it makes sense, they were trying to be as now as The New Warriors were in 1990, so they pretty much hit the mark.

I feel like even in 1989, "negro" should probably not appear in official company memos. Especially when you seem fine to use "black guy" and even "African American" elsewhere in the same document.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

:ssh:a black guy wrote that to make fun of out-of-touch white writers:ssh:

Air Skwirl posted:

You should look up who Dwayne McDuffie was before you post in the comic book forum ever again.

Well, that's absolutely on me as yeah, I must have missed who it was that sent that out. In my defense, it is so on point for something I would have expected white writers at either of the big two to pitch.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

So the old chestnut of Hank Pym: Wifebeater came up in the badass panels thread a day or two ago, and it was concluded that because of some writers trying to fix things and ultimately making them worse, it's now a part of Hank Pym's character.

It made me think though, why only Hank? Why not Reed Richards and Peter Parker who both slapped around their significant other? Peter did it at least once (either Clone Saga or Maximum Carnage IIRC - knocked MJ into a wall), and Reed I'm pretty sure multiple times, not even counting trying to "wake her up" during her stint as Malice. With Reed, it might have been in the old "Father knows best; Sue's just a silly girl" phase, but still not OK.

I'm not suggesting abuse is OK in any circumstance, or that someone needs to step up and redeem Hank. But why do Reed and Peter get passes?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

It reminded me very vaguely of Bone, with the big noses and generally stark white skin. I know that's not it, but it's where I went to first.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I'm making my way through the metrobook myself right now. Will have to add volumes 3 & 4 to my wishlist. It's really good stuff.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Lobok posted:

Has anyone bonded with a symbiote then had kids?

We've seen a symbiote produce symbiote offspring, but I wonder what a child would be like if one of or both their parents were bonded to a symbiote enough to have been changed on a molecular level.

I think Eddie Brock had a secret kid show up a few years back and he had some connection to symbiotes/Carnage/Knull

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Bizzaro is either a failed clone of Superman or an inhabitant of a parallel universe/planet where things are backwards compared to our reality. He's got Superman's super strength and invulnerability, but talks backwards and is not exactly evil, but usually more just simple minded. He's not poisoned by green kryptonite, but one of the other colors does effect him.

Instead of Heat Vision and Ice Breath, he has Ice Vision and Fire Breath. Does he have an "opposite" of x-ray vision? Can he not see through clear glass?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Then you have Supergirl and Comet, the Superhorse, and if they got married she'd have to stop being Supergirl...But for entirely different reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Hey now, don't worry. Comet the Superhorse was actually a centaur from Ancient Greece who was merely *transformed* into a full horse.

Also there's post-Crisis Comet the Superhorse who whew boy that is a story.

I thought he was human when an actual comet would fly near the Earth (a fairly regular occurrence), a centaur as the comet was a certain distance away, and then a full horse again when the comet was too far away. What a hellish existence.