Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
That chart made perfect sense to me until I started reading the errata.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

McSpanky posted:

The Badass Panels thread has recently shown a bunch of Superman/JLA pastiches in Marvel comics and most of them are pretty good and really get what makes the classic DC pantheon great. Are there any examples of the reciprocal from DC's side of things? I'm talking explicit references and not just old legacy versions from back when everyone was doing X, like Captain America/Guardian or the Fantastic Four/Challengers of the Unknown, but clear analogues like Superman/Hyperion.

Not only can I not think of anything offhand, but I'm expecting any examples from recent history to be some immature cheap parodies instead of the generally thoughtful character examinations/homages that Marvel seems to prefer when they look across the desk. :(

Jeph Loeb's Superman/Batman. They end up in a parallel universe with a bunch of Marvel-esque heroes. It's a Mxyzptlk thing and I seem to recall it's good fun.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

WickedHate posted:

Because unlike "Cyclops", "Cable" is a name that means "one eye".

Well for that matter, when has Cable ever had cables? I'm beginning to think the entire Marvel universe is riddled with incompetence.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

TwoPair posted:

That one doesn't count because he never actually died. I mean, it's one of those bullshit times where he should've but he healing factors his way out. His inner monologue never even stops the entire time he's getting nuked and regenerating.

To be fair, that explosion was full of Mutant Growth Hormone or whatever it was Nitro was taking at the time.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

Here's a question that pooped into my mind today at the flea market when I saw a stack of Youngblood comic books for 4€ (the stack, not per issue): do people who grew up reading that stuff have some kind of attachment to it? Do people wax nostalgic over Rob Liefeld comics?

Everything is someone's childhood.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

In the Marvel universe, there are comic books that are inspired by their "real life" hero counterparts. I recall that there are Spider-man and Daredevil comics, which are kind of like the old pulp horror comics, and I want to say Captain America has a comic too (possibly drawn by Steve himself?)

Does DC have anything like that?

Superman/Batman #44

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Rhyno posted:

He meant to say "that weren't terrible. "

"Sorry, due to your poor writing, you count as a man"

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
But seriously, why can't they pin all these cities firmly to a state? It's not like the ambiguity is a running gag like in The Simpsons.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I don't know if I would call that "mystique".

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Would somebody be so good as to explain what each of F A S E R I P stands for, and also the ratings? Cheers.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Pastry of the Year posted:

You asked for it.

Fighting
Agility
Strength
Endurance
Reason
Intuition
Psyche

Rad, thank you

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Or maybe just make swimming motions in the air. Or run around the curvature of the Earth so fast that he flies off at a tangent.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

zoux posted:

Shall we make an itemized list of the ways in which the MU violates actual realpolitik?

Law And The Multiverse is usually a pretty good read and it has some entries on this exact topic.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I still cling to the faint, faint hope that they'll find a way to bring him back for another Star Wars film one day. Sith Force ghosts, it could happen.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Squizzle posted:

Ultimates 3:

So much for Mark Millar's famed subtle touch.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Try Jeph Loeb.

That was kind of the joke, Millar portrayed the weird Wanda/Pietro relationship relatively subtly in Ultimates I and II.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
And Ultimate Extinction has that great line about S.H.I.E.L.D.'s budget.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

How does the DC One Million trade compared to the omnibus? I'd like to read the event but I'm not a huge fan of the massive size / cost of the latter format.

If it's the same old trade that I have, it has only about 7 of the 20+ issues from the entire crossover, the ones directly relevant to the main plot. In some cases it only has half of the relevant issue. The rest are summarised in text. It does come off as rather garbled.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Alright, I have to ask, in that famous Ali vs. Superman issue, who, if anybody, actually wins the boxing match?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
My favourite part of JLA/Avengers is that tragic love story between Kismet and Eternity. :shobon:

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

SonicRulez posted:

Why? The idea of a space cop is basic enough to be cool if they let it. It doesn't even have to be all space adventures.

I also like the idea of a superpower which is powered by your imagination, and the bigger you can dream the more unbeatable you are. Narrow-mindedness loses, creativity saves the day! Plus, whoever's drawing the comic today gets to completely go nuts!

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

I really enjoyed the Under The Hood arc, so that validated the decision to bring Jason Todd back for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Does the character Venom actually have any venom?