Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I was at the comic store when that issue arrived, and knew I could have bought a dozen copies to make a decent profit, but I just didn't have the heart to do that off a 9-11 comic. I'd say it's fair game now. It's a nice little collectors item.

I think Spawn #1 was selling for like $35 in the late 90's, but it was probably all over the place before the bottom fell out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

We've still never gotten Dex-Starr vs Krypto.

EDIT: Wow. This hope corgi thing has a lot of fan art, and it's all pretty adorable. Throw him on the All New Legion of Super Pets with Krypto and Batcow, and we have ourselves a hit.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 28, 2014

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Cannonball is often phrased as "nearly invulnerable" or "practically invulnerable" when he's "blastin'". Source.

A nuke seems like it would be out of his ballpark, but given he beat up Gladiator once, it really depends on the writer.

In Claremont hillbilly speak it's usually phrased as "Ah'm nigh invulnerable when ah'm blastin'!"

http://goodcomics.comicbookresource...-he-is-blastin/

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

Not quite the same thing, but there was one guy from JMS Spider-Man who fixed superhero costumes. There's one panel where Doom shows up at his shop to get his cape fixed, and at the end he passes Peter the design for a "Spider-Man of the future" outfit which sees use in (I think) the "Happy Birthday" story.

Various issues of Fantastic Four explain that Reed licences unstable molecules to other teams to make costumes and Giant-Size X-Men #1, Professor X says he made the all-new, all-different team's uniforms with them.

The guy from Spider-Man also did villain costumes. Heroes and villains were assigned different business days. Kinda silly, but I liked if. Also silly that he's in the one book where it's often shown that the hero makes his own costumes.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

zoux posted:

Secret Wars was specifically made so that Mattel could have new costumes to put action figures in which is why Doom gets a new costume and Spiderman and loving Charles Xavier as well. Doom's new costume was specifically because toy making company executives said old Doom looked too medieval to market to children. It's funny to me that the huge amount of Spidey canon involving symbiotes all came because they wanted a black costume for an action figure.

Umm, Xavier never got a toy.

Series 1 was: Cap, Spidey, Doom, Magneto, Iron Man, Wolverine, Kang, and Doc Ock.

Series 2 had: Black costume Spidey, Falcon, Baron Zemo, Daredevil, and Hobgoblin. Only Spidey showed up in the actual book.

No Ultron, no Hulk, Thor, or giant sized Galactus.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

redbackground posted:

What the hell has Tim Sale been up to for the last few years? He's basically disappeared--his comicbookdb entry shows nothing but reprints & collections since like 2009.

Probably concept work or private commissions. I'm sure Loeb hooked him up with some good paying gigs besides Heroes.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

OK, can the gems unmake themselves? I mean it's a new take on the old "Can God make a rock so big that He himself cannot lift it?" question.

Can the gems warp reality so that they do not exist anymore?

Nope. Bendis had Reed gather the gems for that purpose in the original Illuminati mini.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Spider-Man has made references to Batman Returns (while fighting The Jury), and the Christian Bale Batman (Spot issue during Brand New Day), if those count for anything.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

http://wordballoon.com is the true jam if you like creator interviews.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

It should be noted that Millar made Valeria smart, and influenced a bit more of Hickman's run with Nu Earth and the dead, future Galactus.

The Death of the Invisible Woman, and Masters of Doom arcs were pretty good stuff.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

That's not quite accurate. The Galactus story is an "epic" of the time in that it spanned three issues, though the actual length of the story is more like two issues. In issue #48, they wrap up the Inhumans plot and then start the Galactus plot partway through the issue, which continues through to #50, in which it wraps up about halfway through the issue and then moves on to a Johnny-in-College plot. It says a lot regarding the faith Kirby & Lee had regarding the plot that they thought people would stick around for three whole issues to read it all!

The Inhumans initial story was three and a half issues spanning issues 45 through the first half of 48. Guess they were just feeling epic for that half a year. Then they follow those up with two great single issues.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I always liked Kirby's gods because you'd think gods would have all the best technology instead of living like it's the eternal middle ages. Latest issue of Thor kind of bothered me because Odin was using seeing stones or whatever to see Thor on Earth when I know he has space television that can even see into the past, and comes with a sweet sci-fi remote. Go check out the cover to Thor #162.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

drat, that's probably what happened to the Odinship, Odin's kick rear end spaceship he sent Thor in to chase Galactus, as well. And Odin's overly elaborate space viking armor.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Those first two you mentioned never really changed that radically. Those are just their origins. I think I may just be missing your point.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Astonishing is always a good choice for a fan of the movies.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Death of the Invisible Woman and Masters of Doom were pretty good arcs. Nu Earth, and Valeria having Reed levels of intelligence were both ideas that carried on into Hickman's run. Hitch was on point with his art, and the scripts were fairly entertaining, so I don't see what the problem is besides it being a Mark Millar Fantastic Four book.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I can see that. It probably helped that I was also reading 1985, so the titular Masters of Doom weren't coming out of nowhere. Poor 1985, always the forgotten book because it doesn't star any major characters or have gratuitous violence.

The Millar/Hitch FF also had some nice covers. It was a nice attempt at trying to remind people why Fantastic Four was once called "The Worlds Greatest Comic Magazine!".

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Yes, but he believed Guardians of the Galaxy when they said that no one is 100% a dick.

EDIT: I know Rhyno is going to have some story soon about how he built a house for the homeless out of 90's Image books, but I'm going to take my shots when I can.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 9, 2015

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Looking at my copy of Fantastic Four 72, how many times has Jack Kirby drawn Spider-Man beyond a one or two page cameo?

I guess I could ask the same about Daredevil which the above issue is a continuation of where Doom swapped bodies with him in DD's book.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

The latest issue of Batman & Robin is pretty much a perfect single issue as long as you know going in that Damian Wayne has super powers. If you have a son, or just want a happy Batman story, check it out and get the Harry Potter cover. Excellent work by Tomasi and Gleason.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Waid is doing the All New All Different Avengers as part of Free Comic Book Day. No Avengers series has been announced for Secret Wars.

Also, it was Bullseye making the hobo Daredevils, dog Daredevils, and sighted ninja Daredevil (Ikari?)

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

She got a yellow ring in the final page of the latest issue of Sinestro.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Yeah, it goes right to Red Hulk.

Hulk: Gray I would consider the best version of Hulk's origin. All the main players are there (Banner, Betty, General Ross, and Rick Jones), and even Tony Stark shows up in his gold tin can armor. Tim Sale draws the poo poo out of the Hulk getting mad at a thunderstorm, and being oddly sweet towards Betty. I'm not much of a Hulk fan, but I'm a huge fan of that book.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Didn't Baker do Wednesday Comics Hawkman in a similar style. At least he fought dinosaurs.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

She's at the same place Batman's kid went for like twenty five years. Just wait for Morrison to pitch a Spider-Man & Daughter story.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

You'd think everyone would figure out Peter is Spider-Man after everyone he knew had been replaced by robots (parents), actors(aunt), and clones(himself), or just straight up went missing (MJ) during the nineties.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Brad Meltzer is actually a really great dude, and isn't embarrassed by silver age comics in the least. He just wrote a lovely mystery that was propped up by some really great character moments. The book is worth reading just for the characters talking to eachother. Ralph talking to Firehawk, Superman and his mom, Ollie and Flash, Ollie and Hal, everything with Batman, even Firestorm's out of nowhere death had a good emotional punch.

Shame about all the Sue and Jean stuff though.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Also, to him, he's trapped in a world full of comic book characters. It'd probably be a miracle if you didn't turn out psychotic.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

If Superboy Prime was really a comic book fan he'd realize he couldn't kill anyone important.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Greg Rucka asked Geoff Johns about his penchant for dismemberment, and Johns said he didn't see it as a big deal because he grew up playing Mortal Kombat. I guess that's why it never bothered me. He's a guy that has obvious affection for every character he writes, so I never really see the violence as particularly mean spirited.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Does... does Geoff Johns realize that even Mortal Kombat doesn't actually make the violence canonical except in rare circumstances?

People don't play Mortal Kombat for the story. Besides Gavok probably. Didn't he write the "rate every MK character ever" article that my phone couldn't navigate?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

He has one for DenOfGeek that he should link that he ranks all the characters. Dude loves fighting games, Venom, and wrestling. If I could get him to write about Power Rangers, and Sega Genesis, and he'd have my childhood covered.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Gavok posted:

Remember in the mid-90's when every game company figured that polygons was the way to go and that every tried and true 2D franchise needed to evolve into 3D no matter how ill-equipped they were because Nintendo was able to pull it off? That's Mortal Kombat 4.

I was a big Mortal Kombat fan since Mortal Monday, but that turd killed all interest I had in the series. That and the death of arcades helped.

That article is a good read, but my IPhone5 refuses to load the links to the other pages.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Fritzler posted:

I played the Spider-Man arcade game at a brewery last night. It was a lot of fun, though weird. (The final level is Latveria - fight Doom. OK Cool. After you fight doom (who I think was just a doombot?) you fight a lot of Venoms. OK, venom final boss of 90s spider-man game, makes sense, but why in Latveria?). The weirdest is the characters. So players have choice of 4 characters: Spider-man (makes sense), Black Cat (ditto), Hawkeye (I would've though Daredevil, but I guess he fits in with them) and Namor (what???)

Namor can fire electric blasts. Is this a comic power he has too? Also, I heard that Namor can't appear in video games anymore (and that's why he wasn't in Avengers Alliance). Is that true? Who has the rights to him?

They probably wanted to avoid Daredevil's devil imagery, and thought an archer would be a good fit. Namor I would assume is because someone was a fan of his 60's cartoon. Also, he's a manly tough guy. It's a weird mix for people who know the comics, but from a video game standpoint it seems to have a nice range of looks.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

The best part of this story is that the reason they were fighting is Johnny just decided "hmm I'll go be a dick to Namor and fight him that'll show everyone I'm cool!"

I love the insanity of old Fantastic Four. I dare someone to do a write up on when Doctor Doom swapped minds with Daredevil, and then Spider-Man, Thor, and the Fantastic Four got involved.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Lee probably helped with the dialogue mostly. I don't know how that project came together, but I feel like they were both savvy enough to appreciate the value of working with eachother.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Fantastic Four was the best 90's Marvel cartoon because there were quite a few episodes were nearly exact translations of old Lee/Kirby comics.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Jack Gladney posted:

Stan's introductions were the best part of that and the Iron Man cartoons. Hi true believers!

Dude from Gargoyles was Black Panther. And I remember thinking the end of the Inhumans episode(s?) was super sad with Crystal and Johnny getting split up.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

RandallODim posted:

He showed up for an issue of the Fraction/Allred FF too, where he and She-Hulk went on a pseudo-date and maybe rekindled their relationship, but I have no idea if anything more came of it since I dropped the book an issue or two later.

Moloid kids don't like Wyatt trying to woo the Jen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

You're reading too much into things, and you're absolutely wrong about Teen Titans Go!