Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

I got my dates slightly mixed. Thor ends in '05 and then Donald Blake returns in the lead up to Civil War in '06 which leads into JMS on Thor in '07.

As for JMS he was told he can do whatever he wants with Thor but then took forever to do the books until Marvel got fed up of waiting and just went with doing the Siege event. JMS did his usually of throwing his toys out of the pram and left.

Not going to dispute him being a big baby, but I still think what he was doing in that book was much more interesting than whatever the gently caress went on in Siege. His run is the only one that ever made me give a poo poo about Donald Blake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It's missing Ruby Summers! :eng101:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Schneider Heim posted:

What did Kirkman do? I read the first issue of Invincible and I thought it was pretty good? (art's so-so, though)

Kirkman has an affinity for shock value, and as the series goes on, it tries it outdo itself in terms of gore. I disagree that it's out of character for the book, however, and each violent scene, gratuitous as the imagery might be, is treated like a big deal in terms of characterization.

It's not my (or anyone's, probably) favourite comic, but I do in fact think it's pretty good. The art improves a lot as it goes on, as well.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

When I read stuff on Comixology I get these weird Photoshop-esque lines that stretch through the pages, like so:

Anyone know what causes this? It happens in multiple browsers. I've tried searching to no avail, and Comixology doesn't have any support worth poo poo. I know I've seen it before under other circumstances, so I'm hoping it's a broad enough problem that someone here might know the answer.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

You aren't crazy, none of it has been explained. Bendis said he's going to address it, but I figure it will just be in some off-hand panel somewhere down the line.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

As long as the big reveal isn't that Thanos raped Uatu, I'm going to say that there's no way it could be worse.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Wait, who the gently caress is that, and how has it been built up to?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Ah, thanks. I guess I should read more of Aaron's stuff outside of WatX.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, the only good thing about Onslaught is his hilarious screen-filling boss fight in Marvel Vs. Capcom where he goes "BEHOLD MY MIGHTY HAND"

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

There is a Warren Ellis Authority hardcover with his full run, #1-12, and a Mark Millar hardcover with his full run, #13-29 (which I guess also includes the Tom Peyer fill-in arc in the middle).

So I guess if I already picked up the first one, there's no need for me to get anything else in that series?

Edit: Never mind, I somehow missed the few posts talking about it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, I hate Millar and I'm not a fan of Quitely, either, so I'll stay clear.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Unmature posted:

Really? I saw a lot of talk about it while it was going on. Seemed like people enjoyed it. I'll still give it a go. I've always liked Cyclops and he seems to get shafted a lot. Especially in the movies.

Also, thanks, Teenage Fansub!

For what it's worth, I enjoyed all of it. You're not going to get many positive responses about current X-Men on these forums, though.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Somebody confirm I am not just making this up in my head but was there not a book that was a "realistic" look at Superheroes where the Superman stand in burned the words Liar into the presidents forehead? It was something war. I thought it was Cash War but that doesn't make sense.

This was like 12 years ago I think.

I googled it and this came up.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

A Tin Of Beans posted:

How old is Kate Bishop supposed to be these days? Like in Hawkguy.

Early to mid-20s, I think?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Madkal posted:

As someone who hasn't read Avengers....ever, what is the difference between all these titles?

Avengers and New Avengers are the two main books that are being written by the same guy (Jonathan Hickman) and complement each other. Mighty Avengers is a fun street level team book dealing with mostly B and C-tier heroes like Luke Cage. Avengers World is kind of a sidestory book featuring some of the less pronounced members of the Avengers team that don't get to do much in the two main books right now. Uncanny Avengers is its own thing entirely, written by Rick Remender as a pseudo-sequel to his Uncanny X-Force run, with a team that's part Avengers and part X-Men. Unlike the others, it basically doesn't acknowledge anything that's going on in any other book or the greater Marvel universe.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

Did they make that the official explanation or is it only an Earth X thing?

They did it in the Apocalypse origin comic IIRC. He got his powers from a celestial and became the first mutant.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jul 7, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

After Marvel, DC and Image, what's the next-biggest company, IDW or Dark Horse?

I actually think Dark Horse is bigger than Image, or at least they used to be before they lost all the Star Wars licenses.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm going to see Guardians this thursday and it is going to cost me 25 of your American dollars. It's 3D and I don't really get anything besides reserved seats.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

What's the status of the Dark Horse Star Wars comics vis-a-vis the Marvel/Disney acquisition? Can Marvel reprint those or can they only do the Thomas/Infantino/Simonson/et al stuff they published originally back in the 1970s?

Since Dark Horse is losing the license entirely I'm assuming Marvel can print whatever they want. Not that it makes a difference since Dark Horse did publish collected editions of those comics just a few years ago.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

I see. I asked becuase a few years back I gave away a lot of my Star Wars trades, and now I've been thinking about checking out some of the little Dark Horse omnibus collections. Thing is, I understand the quality of them isn't great, so I was wondering if Marvel would be able to do anything with the material in the future or not.

The quality of the DH omnibuses is fine. I've got like 15-20 of them, and the only one I had problems with was one where the glue came off the front cover, but I just glued it back again myself. I'd like it if they were bigger, but the amount of pages you get for that price can't be beat.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Unmature posted:

Am I the only one who hates John Romita Jr.'s art? It's always felt that way.

I've never liked his modern stuff, but I've gotten to his work in Claremont's X-Men run and he was even worse back then. It's really pulling me out of the comic.

He's awful. I think the only time I didn't mind him was on World War Hulk. His Hulk is pretty good because it's appropriate for that character to have weird faces.

I remember being so excited about Avengers V4, and when I started reading all I saw was barf on the pages. Not that that was a great book to begin with, but it's one of the few times where I've been actively repulsed by the art in a major book.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Hickman's is much better, but I do have a soft spot for Bendis' original New Avengers run. It's all on Marvel Unlimited, so if you want a decent, light introduction to the modern Marvel universe, I think it's a good starting point. Everything Bendis did after that is not worth your time, however.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

prefect posted:

The previous run of Thor had ended during the Avengers: Disassembled period, and Oeming wrote a pretty interesting Ragnarok storyline that ended Asgard and all the Asgardians. You know, the way Ragnarok does.[1] When it was time for Thor to come back, he was a doctor in Oklahoma, and there was no Asgard, so he decided to put Asgard nearby.

[1] Yes, I know real Ragnarok doesn't kill everybody.

To add to that, during Siege Loki manipulated Norman Osborn, leader of HAMMER, into attacking Asgard, where he sicked his Dark Avengers on the place. Sentry goes nuts and Thor fights him in a big dumb big DBZ fight which levels the city and crashes it into the ground.

Then there's the whole Asgardia nonsense that Fraction introduced, but I can't remember if it's relevant to JIM.

Edit: I somehow completely missed the post above explaining all of this :negative:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, I'm reading Walt Simonson's Thor run and it's the same thing.

Basically a couple of things happened; modern Marvel uses fewer heavy narration boxes in general which leads to less repetition and purple prose, and they stopped using thought bubbles, which in the day were mostly used to recap the plot/character powers.

For me it honestly makes comics of that era hard to read since so much of it is completely inconsequential or just endless instances of "When that box hit me in the head it turned me into the wondrous Kellogg! I'll use my incredible Special K powers to take care of this roustabout!".

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Dec 16, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I admit I don't know anything about how the artist/company relationship works, but my understanding is that it's contractual and most artists do several jobs for more than one company at a time. Does someone like Marvel actually employ artists in-house exclusively on a full-time basis? Now I know some artists work faster than others, but could you theoretically pump out one good-looking issue a week if you had nothing else on the table?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I do tend to fall on the art > writing spectrum, primarily because I think really great writers are extremely few and far between in this medium compared to artists, but on that same token, I don't think amazing art can save a comic if the writing does nothing for me. Case in point: Pretty Deadly, Elektra, that Marvel Knights Spider-Man book from last year.