Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Servoret posted:

To be fair, Professor X brainwashes like every bad guy the X-Men face during the Lee/Kirby run. It's not like Bendis is writing him too out of character.

No, it's just grimdarking up a character's actions from a time when comics handled morality differently.

If they were playing up the 90's extreme justice era as canon more people would be pissed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

And it works with her current Magneto construct slowly going evil in Bunn's series now that's she's decided he's a dick again.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

There's only one company running (most) comics distribution, Diamond, and they're pretty much a monopoly. So when they gently caress up no one can really make them knock it off. Which means it's entirely possible that Diamond hosed up your shop's order... or it's possible that your shop is run by imbeciles. Honestly, it's plausible either way.

But mostly plausible the Diamond hosed up way.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

TwoPair posted:

This conversation is rapidly approaching "Is the Thing's dick orange rock?" levels of uncomfortable/stupid.

It got there a long time ago.

Random Stranger posted:

She doesn't have plastic skin, she actually shifts around a lot, adding and removing mass.

Mystique can't gain or lose mass at will only shift the mass she has around. She can look Hulk big but not actually change her weight.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Chinaman7000 posted:

Look guys I need this settled ASAP, I can't keep revising this month's erotic fanfic newsletter

Of course she can make functioning balls but it sill takes her time to produce sperm. So she probably still has them just in case the Destiny resurrection subplot in Wolverines goes anywhere. Obviously she stores them in like the ribcage just like any sane man would if we had the choice.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

That implies that even with the absurd level of power ascribed to her that she can't control her body temperature.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

They later revealed/retconed that the mind controlling super alien was mind controlling the Avengers as well.

Which works really well with how mind bogglingly dumb they were, "This baby seems to want to play with my welding equipment, that's just peachy keen!"

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Mar 3, 2015

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Travis343 posted:

Then couldn't a sighted person just close their eyes?

Was there ever a Ghost Rider like that one Green Lantern who's based in sound, that could do a Penance Howl or something like that.

Hire me, Marvel, Im not doing anything right now.

The Danny Ketch Ghost Rider got a laugh that worked like the penance stare maybe four issues before the book was canned.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Like half a page later he explodes because he's got too many quivers to take off before one of the arrows explodes.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Now, now, it doesn't all come down to misogyny, there is a heaping helping of resentment at Lois for being the subject of "Why can't people recognize superman in glasses?" jokes that keep people from seeing comics as a seriously adult medium with blood and everything.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

redbackground posted:

Oh, hi U.S. War Machine 2.0!

I honestly think the poser stuff looks better without the lovely cartoon filter thrown over it. It's like they decided to smear Vaseline over the page to pretend they are still drawing.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

zoux posted:

It's been a while since I read it, what was the backlash over?

Rape as an shortcut to "this is a serious and mature book".

Plus Green Lantern tried to physically punch Deathstroke for some reason.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Lazy but effective for large swaths of the readers.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Yeah that's what I mean anybody that just picks it up will get sad no matter what their level of familiarity is. It can be thrown onto any character in any book and you are going to get emotional investment from 80% of people. It's kicking the dog, killing the cop three days from retirement, orphaning the child, it's just a blunt instrument that works on getting reader involved but requires no effort on the writers part.

It's poo poo but it's poo poo that people lap up.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Superboy Prime's story is one of those stories that seems really interesting and compelling when summarized but was utter crap to actually read.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

SynthOrange posted:

She only called out the characters, she didnt address the writer directly :v

Characters who were later revealed to be mind controlled by the guy mind controlling her.

Which is a great reason to explain giving a baby a blow torch.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Everybody was a mutant in the 90's because it sold books.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

His mask was utterly stuffed with freshly cut Latverian onions for that PR moment.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

zoux posted:

E: uh can someone explain Blue Marvel? Wikipedia says he's from the 60's but no one heard about him or mentioned him until 2008?

He's the just the Sentry mk.3, greatest totes not superman hero marvel ever had forgotten about because of racism.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

The Sentry from Bendis's Avengers run is mk 2 since it went out of it's way to erase the original Sentry mini.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

zoux posted:

What about Cobra?

I wasss once a fan.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

RandallODim posted:

2010 in the Taskmaster mini by Fred Van Lente and Jefte Paolo. I'm pretty sure this is also where the detail that he loses personal memories every time he 'memorizes' something.

It's come up all of once since then though with a minor character I've forgotten the name of in Avengers Academy who might have been his daughter.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

It was also the era where it was hinted for about five seconds that he was a mutant and the spider-bite triggered it.

Mutant moved comics.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Original Sin.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Unmature posted:

Whaaaa? Please explain.

Iris is black so Wally is black and his father left so he fell in with a bad crowd. They seem to have aborted the whole speedster and sidekick thing as a super fast running ex-con black guy who needs a white father figure to put him on the right path is like racism bingo.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Sorry, that was a brain fart confusing the show and the book.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Jon Stewart used to be an architect so give Miles time.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Cop is definitely a "one of the good ones" card in fiction. Nurse is one too. Doctor isn't because it means they are uppity and make too much money.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

When he lost his healing factor after Fatal Attractions he turned into a lightweight and got black out drunk after a few beers.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

redbackground posted:

I said her own series :colbert:

pod rules

I will be sad when they use Pod to show how dangerous the secretly evil the whole time Blue Marvel or whatever is.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

They are just throwing around "Sterile" but that could mean that mutants can't have children but humans can still produce mutants.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Ultragonk posted:

Really? Is that a thing? Seems a bit petty.

Also thanks everyone, it has been fun getting back into comics and you've all been really helpful.

No it's not a thing, mutants get poo poo on because that's their job as a nebulous minority stand in, being repressed and always near extinction to keep the theme alive.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

The SHRA is this macguffin that to the despair of writers actually made things a gray area, so they fixed it until Tony Stark was Hitler.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Osborne might be crazy but more importantly he's a rich white guy and therefore more deserving of second chances.

How could somebody who made that much money not be moral? God would have made him poor if he was a bad person.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Wheat Loaf posted:

I imagine Marvel's lawyers are probably all commercial lawyers rather than constitutional lawyers, though. :spergin:

Considering their deal with Fox I think Marvel's lawyers were whoever they could pay in expired beer.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

They say the notebook screamed in agony as it burned but in the smoke you could see a young Lucas mouth the words "Thank You" before ascending into the sky.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

I vaguely remember them having a wizard duel that Dr. Strange won in like four panels and then had Camelot adventures. Probably retconed when Merlin was turned into a space and time cop for Captain Britain.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Giant-Size Man-Thing.

Giant-Sized Man-Thing

It will fill the hole inside you and leave you exhausted and aching for more.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

Rucka's run is so terrible.

Also, you guys are aware there are pre-Ennis Punisher comics, right?

Yes, they are 99% crap, Deathwish on repeat makes for a boring character.

In ye olden :files: days I read through some serious 70's-90's garbage because hey "it's free my job is boring" but Punisher's runs was such crap I stopped reading them.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Look just tell yourself Magneto actually just controls metal with his mind and does not wield a fundamental universal force.