Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I recently finally caught the first Thor film, and Donald Blake does exist in the film? He doesn't physically appear, but he's Jane's Thor-sized ex she has some clothes of still, and they later appropriate the name as an alias for Thor to (rather poorly) spring him out of Shield hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

No, he's just himself.

The secret shifted from how to why now.

Surprise! Tonight's episode was almost exclusively about how! With Special Guest Bill Paxton, no less!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

See, why I stopped reading X-Men decades ago (around the time 10 was going on I'd say) is that this is just ONE character's back story out of what? 40? 50? more? You're expected to know to keep up with that group. Heck, even frickin Lockheed now has a crazy history, and he started out as just "wacky pet mini dragon".

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Hey, has anyone read the Dark Horse "Grindhouse" series at all? I noticed it at my LCBS today and was curious if it was any good before I plunk down any cash. It's apparently six issues in, and looks like (with me just guessing) it might be an anthology series of sorts?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

irlZaphod posted:

Yeah she still turns invisible. She was having trouble controlling it during Fraction's run, leading to parts of her skin (but nothing below the skin) turning invisible.

So, exactly like the Venture Brothers parody then? :raise:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

That or the weapons companies would start coming out with better bullets after a while.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

BadAstronaut posted:

Who is the intended audience for this?
https://www.comixology.com/Storyteller/digital-comic/29928

If one liked the movies Labrynth and Dark Crystal, and one liked comics and stories being told, then is this one to pick up at this price?

Hmm. This seems like everyone involved is missing the point of the original show. Which was of course, using Jim Henson Studios' wizards to bring to life old fairy tales and folklore (and if you were in Europe, Greek Myths). It was a beautiful show, and my storytelling roots absolutely love it, but it really was a case of the medium being a vital element in the presentation. Just retelling old stories but drawn like how Henson would design his muppets isn't a strong selling point.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

Try volume 3. It's a group of fantastic stand-alone stories with the main characters in the periphery.
I've been reading since the digital sale a few months ago. I'm up to Brief Lives now and the four issues in Dream Country are definitely my favorites.

I would in turn say my favorite arc is World's End, which is also primarily an anthology bit. Once upon a time I was a serious, serious hard core Gaiman fan-boy, so I've read a lot of his stuff. It's funny how, regardless of whether it's in comics or just prose, but his best work is always his short pieces.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

SiKboy posted:

In the interests of pedantry; Its possible it was billy batson that was killed by the nuke rather than captain marvel, because he detonates the bomb (which is a futuristic supernuke rather than a conventional nuke) by shouting Shazam.

Marvels Wonder Man would survive a nuke, worst case scenario he is atomised and has to reconstitute himself from ionic energy.

It is definitely Billy. Marvel chants "Shazam!" and odd number of times--I want to say five, but I'm not looking at the book at the moment--to use his lightning to strike the bomb.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Before this conversation I had no idea how many ages there even were considered to be. I remember as late as 1990, when I was a kid, and people still thought they were still on the tail end of the Bronze Age at the time in comics. Despite stuff like Watchmen and DKR being older, comics were only really starting to embrace the "gritty" dark stuff in the mainstream around that time, with stuff like Wolverine and Venom being cooler than the less violent good guys, and Image's takeover with things like Spawn or Shadowhawk and whatnot being about the violence over the quality.

It's funny how in so many different interest groups, things that were once determined by large gaps of time now have people scramble to use the same measurement tools for smaller and smaller periods. This is hardly limited to comic eras.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Thanks for giving us the perspective from the inside of the industry, Benito, it's always appreciated.

I'm always curious to see what history will say of the present, and where its lines of demarcation lie.

Like I was saying earlier, my first period of comic book fanboyism was pretty much riding through the entire Dark Age. It's easy now in hindsight to say it started in the 80's, but outside of the rise of indie comics majorly breaking off from the Big Two, which happened gradually throughout the 80's in far smaller doses prior to the big Image break, it really wasn't obvious that a major paradigm shift had happened until it was already there in the early 90's. Maybe because it was such a gradual change, but one minute it seemed like the Bronze Age was still being clung to, and the next, boom-that was a thing of the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Well, decompression most certainly predated the 2000s, but mostly for "event" comics, and then the fringe stuff, like say, Sandman and the like. I'd say Vertigo was probably the main starter area of that trend, ushering it in with their lengthy "mature audiences only" stories.