Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Who are the artists in mainstream comics that have more distinctive/recognizable styles? Unlike webcomics and foreign comics, like from France or Japan, I have a hard time distinguishing different artists in American comics.

I do wonder if it’s just me not being very familiar with them, but it often seems to me that American comics have very homogeneous art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Skwirl posted:

If you are talking about mainstream superhero comics, at different times the different big publishers had a house style that they pushed to varying degrees, but there's always been people who break out of that. I'm much more familiar with the marvel side, but most big artists have worked at both Marvel and DC.

Off the top of my head some artists with distinctive enough styles I can either recognize their work or another artist is biting heavily from their style:
Bill Sienkiewicz
Mike Allred
Amanda Conner
Walt Simonson
Frank Miller
Jack Kirby
Steve Ditko
David Aja
Alex Maleev
Alex Ross
Mark Bagley
Steve Dillon

Skwirl posted:

If you are talking about mainstream superhero comics, at different times the different big publishers had a house style that they pushed to varying degrees, but there's always been people who break out of that. I'm much more familiar with the marvel side, but most big artists have worked at both Marvel and DC.

Off the top of my head some artists with distinctive enough styles I can either recognize their work or another artist is biting heavily from their style:
Bill Sienkiewicz
Mike Allred
Amanda Conner
Walt Simonson
Frank Miller
Jack Kirby
Steve Ditko
David Aja
Alex Maleev
Alex Ross
Mark Bagley
Steve Dillon

I did mean American Superhero comics, I should have been more clear. Do you mind posting some examples of some of those artists’ works? I’m really only familiar with Ditko, Kirby, Miller, and Sienkiewicz.

Really, with Sienkiewicz, I’m only familiar with Warlock

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

site posted:

im only aware of 4 artists but all american cape comics looks the same is an underused troll, havent seen that one in a while

I wasn’t trying to troll, I was genuinely trying to start a conversation and find out more about artists in the industry. I’m sorry if I’m not following unwritten rules about comics posting etiquette, but I don’t see why you need to be so drat aggressive

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Oh man that dinosaur playing drums from Runaways is delightful.

I’ll check out the art thread, thanks for the recommendation!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Edge & Christian posted:

Maybe a productive addition to the question so you don't get a list of literally a thousand names of people with distinct art styles is

a) What webcomics/non-American comics/etc. do you enjoy for their distinct art styles
b) What American comics have you read where all of the art looks the same?

I feel like if you think Ditko/Kirby/Miller/Sienkiewicz all sort of blended together with everyone else doing superhero comics, trying to give examples of how Dan Jurgens and Kevin Nowlan and Sal Buscema and Bill Sienkiewicz all have distinct art styles (and how sometimes they work together to interest effect) might not be productive.

I don’t think that Ditko/Kirby/etc all blend together, those were just the few names I recognized and could probably recognize from the art. I’m sorry if I wasn’t clear enough there.

It’s been awhile since I’ve really actively read webcomics, but I like Gunnerkrigg Court and Paranatural. I loved The Adventures of Dr McNinja when that was running but I admit that it wasn’t exactly the art that kept me reading it. I have a much larger reference point for distinctive manga I enjoy; I really like Mob Psycho 100 by ONE and Hi Score Girl by Rensuke Oshikiri, even if they look kinda ugly on the first glance (and second glance, in the case if Hi Score Girl). For the more traditionally gorgeous art, I really love the art of Ryoko Kui (Delicious in Dungeon) and Aki Irie (Ran and the Gray World)

I admit, I don’t have a big enough knowledge of American comics to be able to think of two books/artists that are examples of what I feel are good examples of being kinda homogeneous off the top of my head. Part of the problem is I’m definitely not hugely familiar with them and part of it is they tend to blend together in my head because not a lot of the art stuck out/spoke to me

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
What’s the current Spider-Man status quo? Is Peter poor and single again?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Knives Amilli posted:

Has there ever been a prominent shonen manga/anime that features a protagonist who doesnt become the most powerful fighter/ninja/alchemist/card gamer/etc. ever? Like someone who by all metrics is powerful and competent, just not the best or most powerful practitioner of their art?

You’re kind of limiting it by saying “prominent” but I can think of a couple right now. Tanjiro in Demon Slayer is never considered the “best” swordsman, just a very very good one. Emma in The Promised Neverland is one of three very smart young children. The main character of MHA: Vigilantes isn’t the most powerful by nature of it being a spinoff.

I can think of more but I’m not sure what counts as “prominent.” Kekkaishi, one of my favorite manga, ran for 35 volumes but it’s not exactly Shonen Jump levels of popular

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
So uh, why the hell does Marvel keep The Punisher around? You’d think that they’d retire a guy who’s whole deal is “heroic” slaughter

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Edge & Christian posted:

Is manga outselling superhero comics?

Yes, by quite a bit.

I’m not sure if it’s totally fair to compare all of manga to superhero comics, given that manga is a medium and not a genre, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Shonen Jump manga outsold Marvel or DC

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Jordan7hm posted:

That article doesn’t say what you think it does.

I re-read it and I’m not sure where you’re getting that. It’s pretty clear: American superhero comics are being outsold in the United States by manga and by kid-oriented comics and graphic novels.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Jordan7hm posted:

In the book market, which is approx. half of the total comics market. The direct market isn’t 100% cape comics but it’s probably not dramatically off from that.

The article covers the direct market, though. It includes comic shops, Diamond, and digital downloads

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Skwirl posted:

Has he hung out with Jon at all since Jon got aged up?

Why the gently caress did they age Jon up? It’s such a dumb idea

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
You can just send slightly older Jon to the Legion by having him be sent from slightly in the future! It’s time travel!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
What’s been up with Iron Lad? Is he still Kang the Conqueror?

What’s even up with Kang? How many versions of him are there

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Vandar posted:

If you didn't like Peeg 1-12, ignore the rest of my post lol.

As for your question...no. Infinite Crisis is not good. The only thing keeping it from being the worst Crisis story is the fact that Identity Crisis exists.

What about Heroes in Crisis? I heard that was pretty bad

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
So what’s Rachel been up to lately anyways. I feel like the character got introduced, messed around a bit in Excalibur, and then was completely forgotten by the writers

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Vampires in DC being convinced that Batman is an extremely powerful vampire is hilarious

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
So do people actually read Wonder Woman books? If so what are the stories that are well regarded? I realized recently that I know next to nothing about her solo books. All I know is that she once fought a gigantic racist egg

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

site posted:

Agent Smith was right. Humans are unwilling to accept utopia even in fiction because they crave violence

That’s ridiculous. I crave chicken nuggets, not violence

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

I AM GRANDO posted:

Why did Jim Lee always put like weird circuit poo poo all over Wolverine’s skeleton when parts of it were visible? Smooth shiny metal looks better and weirder. Wolverine doesn’t need electronics.

Some sci-fi artists love things smooth and sleek and some loving love greebles

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
What’s been going with Cassandra Cain? I don’t hear about her very often

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Are there any good Spider-Man stories/runs from the last ten or so years? I’d prefer main continuity but alternate continuity is fine too

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

howe_sam posted:

Tom Taylor's Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man was good, and if Spider-Dad is your thing I enjoyed Renew Your Vows a whole bunch.

Spider-Dad is extremely my poo poo, to the point that I think Peter should be a dad in 616 canon

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Okay question number 2: what’s an easy way to read Renew Your Vows that doesn’t involve buying the physical books? I’ve heard that comixology was the go to place but that it recently got pretty user unfriendly

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Do Marvel’s different multiverse focuses ever interact? Stuff like there being a Spider-Man in every dimension and there being a Captain Britain in every dimension

Kind of similarly, do galactic empires like the Shiar interact much with the Kree or Skrulls, or are they mostly just left to the X books

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Heck, Spider-UK was a Spider-Man and a Captain Britain

Spider-Man would choose the Amulet of Right over the Sword of Might

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Endless Mike posted:

Comichron has the total North American sales for 2020 at $1.28b. Manga may be more popular (I feel like this is a claim that comes up but isn't generally validated), but it's certainly not going to be 23 times more popular on a dollar amount.

This is anecdotal so it’s only one point of data but I work at a fairly popular Barnes & Noble and manga is our best selling section. Chainsaw Man volume 1 is the best selling book in the store, only occasionally beaten out by It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover.

It’s funny, I don’t have the numbers in front of me but I feel like graphic novels for kids or in YA tend to sell better than our general graphic novel section. The book Teeth and its sequels do especially well, there’s a lot of young girls who can’t get enough

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Do modern-ish Hulk comics ever mention that Hulk has kids or have Skaar and the other one been forgotten like so many things in comics

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Endless Mike posted:

Skaar appeared in the Gamme Flight spin-off of Immortal Hulk last year.

Neat! Was it good?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The guy who plays Superman in the CW Superman and Lois doesn’t have a dad bod per se but he’s extremely dad

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I recently saw a couple of pages from an old Wizard magazine where they talked about manga with then-current comics creators and one of the questions they asked stood out to me because I’ve been thinking about for a while: how is manga different from American comics?

I don’t mean this as a discussion of quality or distribution method as much as looking at the finished products and seeing how they differ.

One creator said that manga often is a lot less wordy than American comics, which I’ve had a feeling of for a while but I can’t say whether that’s true or not; I just don’t read enough American comics to compare. I often feel that the writing and art aren’t exactly in sync in American comics but I don’t have any examples on hand to really back that up.

Another said that manga has more detailed backgrounds and I can’t help but feel that’s the opposite of true! A lot of manga I’ve read is pretty willing to do a little to establish the scene and then have the backgrounds just be blank space with the focus on the characters, while the coloring of modern comics often necessitates backgrounds get drawn in.

My general impression with manga is that there’s a greater focus on characters’ faces while comics typically have a bit more focus on the characters’ body language/stance, having the “camera” be pulled farther out.

I think action manga also tend to put a bit more focus into the choreography of a fight, being more willing to have a fight drag on multiple issues while American comics want to keep the story moving.

Obviously manga is almost always in black and white while comics are in color which leads to different methods of communicating things like texture and the like.

Sorry for the really long post. It’s just something I’ve been ruminating on for a while. Am I just making things up? Obviously different ecosystems are going to make different things but are my ideas just dumb? I’d love to see you folks’ thoughts on the matter

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Different magazines have different amounts of editorial control and some editors influence the series more than others. Shonen Jump, for instance, has a good deal more editorial control than other magazines, but the good editors largely let the creators have the bulk of the creative control and give feedback rather than directions

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Turbinosamente posted:

I sorta remember reading that Akira Toriyama's editor kept pushing that the androids weren't a big enough villain story wise and that's how that story morphed into the cell saga in dbz in some interview somewhere, so I'm under an assumption that the editors have some sizable influence on manga creators.

He was actually Toriyama’s ex-editor at the time

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Going back to an earlier point, there’s a number of monthly manga, although they tend to be about 30-something pages a month. So that’s still a fifty percent increase on pages over a twenty page monthly series. I wonder how much of that is because of not having a different person doing the coloring like a lot of comics do and how much of it is the manga industry still being a meatgrinder that doesn’t allow for breaks.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Dawgstar posted:

Gabriel Picolo's stuff? He rocks. The OGNs he did with a writer whose name I forget are worth a read. I think there's one for Raven, Beast Boy and Raven Loves Beast Boy.

Kami Garcia.

It makes me laugh because it’s Piccolo and Kami

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

JordanKai posted:

A bit late to the discussion: the Sandman deluxe editions (which have a really ugly printed-on Audible 'sticker' on the cover :argh:) are the only hardcover releases of the core The Sandman comics that are currently in print. The leatherbound omnibuses got new print runs not too long ago, but it seems like those are OoP now too. I fear that if you're looking to complete your Absolute collection of The Sandman you're going to be waiting for a long time.

DC has a weird habit of letting their classics run out of print. Sure, you can get whatever Batman story from five years ago you want but you can’t get the physical version of New Teen Titans volume 1, an absolute classic

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Madkal posted:

Ask me about waiting 6 years for Spectre Vol. 3 to come out. It will never come out.

What’s it like waiting for Spectre Vol. 3 to come out?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Maybe check out Star Wars The Edge of Balance. It’s published by Viz so it’s in the manga section but it reads in the American style. Viz rates it for teens but it sounds like it could be okay for your daughter

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Pneub posted:

Well I guess they tried.

We don’t read television? Wait until they hear about subtitles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
So, I’ve been reading seminal shojo manga Rose of Versailles and one thing that struck me was how it switches from a more serious style you’d associate with manga to a more cartoony style and then back at a drop of a hat

Here’s a picture I took of that happening (apologies for the low quality, I only have the physical edition)

This switching up of style, either to help sell a joke or to underline a dramatic scene, is still decently common in Japanese and Korean comics.

What struck me is that I can’t think of a single example of something like that happening in the western, particularly American, comics that I’ve read. Are there any mainstream western comics that change the style of drawing mid-comic?