Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
The grading brainworms are settling in again and I need some convincing not to: is there any reason at all to have anything contemporary graded and slabbed, outside of "I like it"? Contemporary meaning within the last 5-10 years here. Is it all just a guessing game of which variant cover will be worth money in the future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
So getting lucky with a key issue of somebody who gets popular out of nowhere with a new show or something always trumps variant cover of popular character with known artist?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Skwirl posted:

There's exceptions, but it's largely driven by rarity.

Yeah I've been doing a deep dive on ebay since I posted to see what's out there, and what is or isn't selling, and quelle surprise the thread advice is right. The books still on it's way to me, I'll wait till it's here and then decide if the novelty of slabbing it is worth the extra money since it's unlikely to appreciate at all.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I got a third of a short box in single issue garbage, but it's way offset by all the manga, collected trades of euro comics, and trades of newspaper comics. I don't know how much I have exactly, but I can tell you the omnibus edition of Inuyasha takes up a good three feet of shelf space, and nostalgia makes me keep it because I know I will re read it every so often.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Uthor posted:

I want to purge it, but I have room, so I'm not really spending my time doing that work.

I have in tiny bits, but since I've posted I've been mentally inventorying everything I still have and :gonk:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

JordanKai posted:

I got rid of my collection of single issues two years ago and have only bought singles digitally since. I did an exact count of my hardcover collection and it currently consists of 176 books, plus a few dozen volumes of manga. There are a couple of books in there that I really need to get around to reading. :sweatdrop:

Hi. I bought the entirety of the out of print early 2000s trades for Modestly Blaise. It was the most expensive set of comics I've ever bought. I have yet to read past volume 4ish. Modesty Blaise still remains extremely my poo poo.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Is everybody inventorying their trades now? Because I sure am. Which brings me to the real question are purposely signed editions of trades worth anything more than the standard edition? I do have an All About P'Gell: The Spirit Casebook vol 2 signed in the front by Eisner, but I'm assuming it's still a hard sell because he signed a ton of poo poo, and there aren't as many Spirit fans as there used to be.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Rhyno posted:

Sometimes. If it's personalized it's hampers resale.

I can't remember, that's how often I look at it. I think this one is a pasted in square of paper with a border and the numbering with a preprinted portrait of one of the characters and a pencil signature. Probably not personalized. Hell it might not even be real, I Ebayed it cheap because I wanted to read the book more, and thought "hey cool bonus if real" at the time.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Speaking of, what does Dynamite even publish now? just Vampirella and Red Sonja maybe? I feel like that's all I see on the weekly release list as I scroll by.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Aren't some older mangas also 20 pages a month, like from the 70s? I recall Black Jack breaking the fourth wall saying he had to wrap up this surgery quick because there's only 20 pages. Captain Harlock is another one but has pacing issues and I think it's because of it. Only key events are highlighted none of the filler character building in between stuff you'd expect. Even in the remake manga there was a hell of a jump between major plot points of gathering intel on the enemy and I thought I missed something. However Ablaze Publishing put out an approved side story that was way better paced, but idk if it was because it was written by a westerner, or if it just was that some one else wrote it in general and the original author alone is really to blame for the over condensing of the plot.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 7, 2022

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I sorta remember reading that Akira Toriyama's editor kept pushing that the androids weren't a big enough villain story wise and that's how that story morphed into the cell saga in dbz in some interview somewhere, so I'm under an assumption that the editors have some sizable influence on manga creators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
The few I get physically I read Thursday night after I get them. My problem is I can't afford to gamble on physical issues anymore. I ran into 8 volumes of the older King Conan tpb recently, and the snippet I read was interesting, but at $10 to $25 a book it was too much investment to pick up all at once, especially a hard to find incomplete series. I really need to find an ereader, start using the library more, or start sailing the seas.