Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Would be appreciated if it's spoiler tagged though, since the pandemic and whatnot, and the movie isn't streaming yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

How many ongoing comics do the major companies have going at the moment? I notice it's a bit lower since the pandemic etc.

Are these wiki pages up to date
and correct?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_Marvel_Comics_publications

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_DC_Comics_publications

And ballpark how many ongoings do you think Image has, also Dark Horse, IDW, including books that may have a hiatus here and there or slow schedule. Only if that info is easy to find somehow.

Also, what years were the peak of number of titles? And is that kind of data around somewhere for over the years? Just curious how comics are doing there.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Yep I read that thread, just curious if this particular info was already around somewhere. If those wikis are up to date that'd be something. Sometimes you'll hear somebody say Marvel and DC do 50 ongoings or whatever over the years.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Very true, though I wonder how much creative control all manga have. In a Fist of the North Star collection there was an intro by the editor talking about how he came up with the idea of using acupressure points to kill etc, and then the artist and writer fleshed it out.

But aside from stuff like that, I wonder if a Shounen Jump title has ideas turned down or direction given at times, like an American comic does. But it also seems we have less behind the scenes info on manga.

Another difference is manga having assistants drawing backgrounds and stuff like that, less common in US books.

Both American comics and manga have trends, and looking at the manga section with all the Isekai titles, stuff like that, all the manga on certain topics like sports and school clubs etc, I wonder if it's not entirely creator driven like an independently published comic. Though maybe they'd just have to make a pitch to get it serialized in the first place. And it can be dropped, so maybe there's some back and forth.

Hopefully they do give a good bit of creative control though. Maybe a bit like 2000AD. All just speculation on my part here.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That makes sense. As long as One Piece gets a good ending, I'm content. Go Oda go!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Madkal posted:

What happened to Gambit and Rogue though as they aren't mentioned at all in New X-Men? Was there another team running around during New X-Men?

Yep, they were in Claremont's X-Treme X-Men book at the time.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Madkal posted:

So these were going on concurrent to New X-Men?

Yep. I haven't read much of them yet myself, but X-Treme is probably worth a look as a time capsule.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Looks like it's that Bonecrusher guy, from the Detective Comics run mentioned above

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Detective_Comics_Vol_1_598

Agreed Batman #400 is also a really really cool comic, that was one of my fav stand alones.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

How do you folks keep comic reading a habit? And how about reading when you're tired or whatever when scrolling the net seems to come more easily? Any tips and tricks?

I've read some general advice on reading more, some about convenience and keeping a tablet handy etc, I do have a tablet 'o comics plus a lot of trades. But figured I'd ask what the comic crowd's experiences are, and getting back on when falling off the habit.

For example, I read about 40 comics last year, this year reading 300 comics is a goal of mine. Plus some novels etc. I happen to be sleeping shoddy this week so I've been gaming and net surfing etc.

One idea that occured to me is to try reading lower importance or lower quality stuff that I'm still interested in, since I won't feel like I'm too tired etc to enjoy it etc. A kooky idea maybe. Also remembering I can read say 6 pages, and that would be something. Plus Judge Dredd is in 6 page installment in 2000AD.

For example, nobody likes Daniel Way Deadpool. So if I'm too tired for a more acclaimed Deadpool run, why not say ok my brain isn't working so let's see what Way is up to.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Thanks, cool to hear these comic insights and tips folks.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Here's a question, for long running series with multiple writers especially. When you jump back in and don't remember many things, how much do you stop to look stuff up, or just go with the flow?

A pet peeve of mine is every fan wiki page features a prominent "status: DEAD" or something near the top, not always a great place to get a refresher on some character.

For example I'm thinking I'll jump into some Jenkins The Darkness, it's been maybe 15 years since I read the previous stuff. I guess one bonus of forgetting stuff is the next writer often doesn't line up with the previous writer on things anyway.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on, that sounds like a cool way to do it. I also had those random flea market comic packs sometimes. Bloodshot, king of the flea market, was a key character in those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Nice, for me I'd probably take a peak at the previous issue if it's been forever.