Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Random Stranger posted:

Lockheed talked to a giant dragon in a Claremont era issue, but we didn't get to understand the dialog. Since then he's been shown to be intelligent and capable of conversation from time to time, though I don't recall him ever talking to humans (I haven't read that story so I'm not sure that's what you were referring to).

X-Men #181, as the team returned from Secret Wars. (If anyone was interested.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Pretty close. Here's Jim Shooter's recollection.

Jim Shooter posted:

When I read the X-Men make-ready that included the scene in which Phoenix destroyed a Shi'ar starship...

What's a "make-ready"? Is that like a proof of a book that's about to go to the printers?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

zoux posted:

So is that the reason Shooter and Byrne had mad beef? Sounds like he had beef with Claremont too.

I tell you reading the wikipedia pages on a lot of the creators, it seems like people in the business don't really like each other very much.

Jim Shooter was (according to some) kind of a tyrant during his time as Editor in Chief; he rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SirDan3k posted:

Hell last time it was referenced I'm pretty sure it was just hand waved as negative zone/cosmic rays pregnancy complications that only Doom had the facilities and know-how to deal with.

And as compensation, Doom demanded that she be named "Valeria".

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CzarChasm posted:

Ah, yes, the Calvinball method.

But what's the other option? )Pointlessly?) Rebooting the entire production line every couple of years? And even then, the explanation is usually an unsatisfying "That thing in the past didn't happen, unless of course it did happen, in which case, you bet it happened... At least until next time."

Even though crazy impossible stuff can happen in comic books, you have to maintain some baseline level of what's "too impossible", or else the stories don't feel grounded or meaningful. Yes, this means some stories you really want to tell shouldn't be told, at least not in the mainstream universe.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Unmature posted:

Can't Daredevil see what's on TV too? Something about reading the signals coming off the screen or something? I remember seeing that somewhere.

If it's true, that's stupid.

He could when Danny Rand was covering for him while Matt was getting his brain together.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I want to say it's in "Born Again" (I can't find it yet), but there's a scene of him right after the accident in agony from the noises and smells and so forth.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Metal Loaf posted:

Oh, I've certainly been meaning to, but it looks like you can only get the first half of the omniboo in paperbacks and the second half in hardcover, and I'd prefer to read them all in the same format. I'm hoping DC will re-collect it in some form at some point, hopefully sooner rather than later (though I guess there's probably not much demand if they only did the first two in paperback).

It is kind of odd how it always shows on lists of the best superhero comics of all time, but with the exception of The Golden Age, the rest of James Robinson's stuff seems to provoke mixed reactions at best.

Catch-22 is a classic novel, but Joseph Heller's other books never had even a sliver of that popularity.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Waterhaul posted:

Gladiator (the Melvin Potter one not the Shiar one) runs a costume shop in New York and repairs costumes for heroes/provides them with fresh ones when they need them. Bendis littered a lot of characters who helped out heroes in that respect throughout his various street level hero runs.

I'm such a sucker for reformed-villain characters. :allears:

Endless Mike posted:

In an issue of X-Force immediately following X-Cutioner's Song, the team uses a Shi'ar machine in the basement of the Xavier School to make new costumes. So now they just use space tech, I guess.

There have been other space costume machines, too.

prefect fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Apr 16, 2014

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Aphrodite posted:

The other Captain Marvel could survive one as Binary, I would assume.

The other other Captain Marvel could survive one by turning into neutrinos or something.

The other other other Captain Marvel could survive by slamming the Nega-Bands together and switching places with Rick Jones.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Phylodox posted:

I think Hulk outclasses aikido. It would be like trying to redirect a speeding train.

FF #26, apparently

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

zoux posted:

"Writing for Trade". This is another way to say "six issue arcs", correct?

Unless you're also doing decompressed storytelling. Then it's six issues per issue of a normal comic book.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

zoux posted:

I keep seeing this "AR" in the corner of some panels in certain Marvel books I'm reading, what the hell is that? They're digital versions if it makes a difference.

It stands for "augmented reality". I gather that you can do something with the digital versions of the comics where you get extra pages that aren't in the printed books.

zoux posted:

While I'm talking acronyms, who is VC and why do they own all the letterers? Why are just letterers and not other artists under some outside corporate umbrella?

Virtual Calligraphy is a lettering studio. I don't know why just letters are all handled by one organization. :shrug:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Skwirl posted:

I'm reading through the old Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four and in issue 25 the Hulk guest stars, but he keeps referring to himself as Bob Banner instead of Bruce. What's up with that?

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2005/11/03/comic-book-urban-legends-revealed-23/

COMIC URBAN LEGEND: Bruce Banner got a new first name due to Stan Lee’s forgetfulness.

In the early days of Marvel Comics, Stan Lee was writing a lot of comic books. Not only was he writing a lot of comic books, but he was writing a lot of CHARACTERS, as some of the books he was writing had two features in them (like Tales to Astonish). As a result, it was often difficult for him to remember character’s names. This was the genesis of the alliterative name for Marvel characters. It is easier to remember names when the first and last names both begin with the same letter.

However, even this did not always keep Lee from occasionally slipping up. One notable error occured about two and a half years into Marvel’s existence, where Lee began referring (for more than a couple of months) to the Incredible Hulk’s alter ego as “Bob Banner” rather than the “Bruce Banner” that he was originally named.

Responding to criticism of the goof, Stan Lee, in issue #28 of the Fantastic Four, laid out how he was going to handle the situation, “”There’s only one thing to do-we’re not going to take the cowardly way out. From now on his name is Robert Bruce Banner-so we can’t go wrong no matter WHAT we call him!”

And that is the name he still has today, although they later changed the Robert to David for the television program.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SMP posted:

So I've been reading Brubaker's Captain America stuff and I've got a question about Nick Fury, Black Widow, and Dum Dum.

How are Nick Fury and Dum Dum still so relatively young? Were they frozen too or something? They only look middle aged yet somehow fought in WW2 alongside Cap. Bucky also mentions he's been working with Black Widow since the 50s and that she was awake to see the entire cold war. Just how old is she despite looking late 20s/early 30s? How are all these people still around?!

Fury didn't get Erskine's super-soldier serum, but he did get the Infinity Formula, which makes him borderline ageless. Back in the '80s, they had to figure out a good reason that Dum Dum and company were still around, and in at least one comic, they said it was because they spent so much time hanging out with Nick. (I guess the Formula is contagious or radioactive or something.) Fred Hembeck drew a strip for Marvel Age (I think) where Nick had retired and Dum Dum was stalking him so that he could keep from aging. I remember the two of them sitting in a rowboat with fishing poles. :allears:

prefect fucked around with this message at 13:05 on May 8, 2014

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
You can't possibly make more money writing comics than being a showrunner (unless you're one of the big names, maybe) -- did he get fired from TV?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CapnAndy posted:

Really though, if they didn't, how often would "how come Batman/Wildcat/Captain America/Wolverine/wheover is just sitting around and nobody takes advantage of the opportunity to be trained by them" come up?

I don't know Wildcat, but Batman and Wolverine could easily be big dicks and refuse to help anybody out. Cap, however, is a boy scout. He's got no choice.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wapole Languray posted:

Can anybody tell me what happens in The Invisibles? Like, I read it all, but I still don't know what actually happens in the story.

Once this is done, somebody can explain Seaguy to me.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CapnAndy posted:

Earth 212 was the Everything Is New York Earth, there were some very clever ones.

Was there an Earth 2112? :pray:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

MagnesiumB posted:

Wasn't he working with them in his premier appearance? Or shortly thereafter?

They came to take him back to Canada. Then they got their asses kicked. X-Men #120-121.

According to "R" (Ralf?), #109 was the first attempt.

Edit: "R" was Roger Stern. Which makes sense; Ralph Macchio didn't become an editor for a few more years.

prefect fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 25, 2014

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Opopanax posted:

Yeah but it's vvvveeerrryyyy morrison so read it, then read a companion, then read it a few more times. I didn't like it at all when I first read it and now it's one of my favorite books.

Also if you're not getting the TPB make sure you get Superman Beyond

Is that the one that was in 3D? I wanted to like it, but it hurt my eyes so much it just sucked. :(

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Metal Loaf posted:

What I'm reading at the moment is the Iron Man by David Michelinie, Bob Layton and John Romita, Jr. omnibus; I'm about three-quarters of the way through. It's a bit odd that this is a massively acclaimed run (and I think it deserves the recongition) which introduced a lot of pretty big components of the Iron Man mythos - Rhodey, Hammer, Bethany Cabe, Tony Stark's drinking problem, his rivalry with Dr Doom, even his friendship with Bruce Banner to an extent - and yet the Mandarin hasn't been in it once. As far as I'm aware, he didn't appear in the subsequent Dennis O'Neil run either; Obadiah Stane was the main villain in that one, nor the second Michelinie/Layton run.

Was the character dead during the 1980s? What was his last appearance before 1978, when they started writing the book? When did he come back?

The Mandarin was not a big deal during the '80s -- they spent a lot more time with businessman enemies like Justin Hammer and Obadiah Stane. I have a theory that he's only back now because he's kind of Iron Man's only biggish-name supervillain enemy. Justin Hammer fought him by funding much lower-powered tech villains like Beetle and the Melter, while Stane was really about pushing Tony all the way into the gutter.

The other big Iron Man enemies (and the guys who could go toe-to-toe with IM in a fight) were Soviets, and that's not really a going concern these days.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Leperflesh posted:

Is "cosmic marvel" a thing that only encompasses '04 and later comics with those characters? Because Thanos, galactus, silver surfer, etc. has been around since at least like the 1970s.

I mean, I was introduced to Thanos via the Dreadstar comics. So I'm wondering if Dreadstar is considered "cosmic marvel"? How about Captain Marvel, Warlock, etc.?

I think "cosmic Marvel" gets those dates because they weren't doing very much with the cosmic characters for the previous ten-plus years. It had become an ignored part of the Marvel universe, so it was pretty awesome when they showed up again.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

zoux posted:

Right, but I thought it was like a Sliver Age team or something. I was reading Starlord #1 today and when Peter met Rocket for the first time I was like, hang on....

I also have no idea why I thought they were an old school team, but I did.

The original Guardians (in publishing terms) were created in 1969 (I hadn't realized they were that old), and looked like this:

They had one of those old-fashioned sets of origins. One guy was from Pluto (thermal-based powers), one guy was from Jupiter (stocky and strong, because gravity), one guy was from Earth, and then a couple of aliens.

It was later decided that they named themselves after the modern-day Guardians out of respect.

prefect fucked around with this message at 12:56 on May 31, 2014

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bobkatt013 posted:

AvX was worth it for the crab whales. :colbert:

It still seems weird to me that having a fifth of some massive cosmic force powering you actually made people stupider.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mister Nobody posted:

When you say that I just picture that panel from all star superman where he's telling that depressed girl that everythings going to be alright.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mister Nobody posted:

That just made the whole scene incredibly creepy.

Well I did get it from the "ruin the moment" thread. :razz:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mister Nobody posted:

Yeah nevermind I kind of lost the plot there.

I just didn't like the implication in those panels, that all the work that psychologist did with Reagan (I think her name was) was useless and all she needed was Supes to come and tell her everything was gonna be alright. As well how she's dressed and styled has become a sort of shorthand for depression and poor mental health, which I never would have expected from Morrison. I might be speaking out of my rear end so I'll shut up.

I don't think he's saying "all kids who dress like this are depressed". I actually like that it's an "alternative" kid that Superman is helping -- if it had been a polished and popular kid, I would feel less sympathy.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mister Nobody posted:

What I don't like is that the girl is one traffic jam away from suicide.

It's a "straw that broke the camel's back" situation. People with depression can have that happen.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

zoux posted:

Are the Thunderbolts books right after Siege where Luke Cage takes over the team any good? I don't know that I've read anything by Jeff Parker before.

I liked them quite a lot. Boomerang and Satana and Mister Hyde had great, fun personalities.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Potsticker posted:

Less idiodic than the guy who said it wouldn't have made as much impact for him if she dressed in a less "alternative" style. Because people who are depressed don't matter if they aren't qt goth girls, right?

I'm sorry if I offended you; that wasn't my intention.

CapnAndy posted:

I'd argue that the scene is more effective because she's dressed as a goth, but any outsider subculture would do. The point isn't "haha goths kill themselves amirite", it's "Superman loves you and wants to help, even if you're an outsider".

I really didn't think that needed explaining.

Thanks for explaining it better than I did. :tipshat:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Uthor posted:

Reading my way through X-Statix and have a couple of geography questions.

One of the characters mentioned "51 states" in respect to America. It was really off hand and confused me.

Also, why do the characters keep saying "Europa". I'm assuming they were talking about Europe?

Couldn't really find anything via Google.

I haven't read X-Statix (I know, I know; I am shamed), but they're celebrities, right? They could be dummies who don't know how many states there are, and they could be pretentious jerks who think "Europa" is a fancy way to say "Europe". But I'm guessing. :)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

greatn posted:

Does Cable have cable? If he had satellite that's just straight up bullshit.

I can't find the page where someone says "we have to get Cable!" and then either Beast or Strong Guy makes a joke about HBO. :downs:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Agent_grey posted:

There were avengers versions of this, my sister had Wasp. Which had a massive hair doo going on. Can't find pictures though

Didn't they make Janet part-actual-wasp around the time Teen Tony was Iron Man?

What I'm saying is everybody should read "The Crossing".

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Random Stranger posted:

After that there isn't much to say. Hal Jordan took over the role and J.M. DeMatteis tried to make him the Spirit of Redemption. Crispus Allen took on the role next but they didn't really do a lot with him before the new-52 hit.

I still see "Crispus Attucks" in my brain when I read that guy's name -- it's the only other Crispus I've heard of. (This is probably the point, but it's still distracting to me.)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

muscles like this? posted:

I have to wonder why anyone agrees to those clauses. They never really seem to work out well for the other side.

The Watchmen rights were supposed to go to Moore and Gibbons once it was out of print, right? I remember an interview with Moore where he said he'd expected it to be out of print within a few years, because this was before the days that trades were a big deal.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

zoux posted:

Welcome to BSS, where we are apparently trying to talk people out of reading comics now.

There's a difference between the background you need and the background you might want. Or should want.

Is Vance Astrovik in the movie?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

BadAstronaut posted:

Of course - hahaha oh SA forums, you are amazing. "Need" in order to understand was never mentioned.

It was, just not by you.

Soonmot posted:

I honestly don't think you need any sort of background for the movie (seeing it tonight), but you will end up reading some good comics if you choose to!

Endless Mike posted:

Here is the background you need:

It is a Marvel Studios movie.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

BadAstronaut posted:

One says you don't need any, and one is a joke..? :confused:

Because "need" was mentioned, that's what people started arguing about. Even a joke can get a fight started on the Internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

OldMemes posted:

Booster Gold is a great character - the idea of a time travelling goofball who is secretly in charge of keeping time and space in order is pretty fun. Hopefully they can bring him back properly soon - I guess the very nature of the character put them in a tough spot, considering how Flashpoint ended.

Booster is also great because he's had a character arc, like Hawkeye. He started off as a genuine con-artist douchebag, and wound up being something so much better. Now he's just pretending to be a con-artist douchebag. :)