Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
gently caress me, I really hate the comixology reader! Is there a program that converts comixology files in .cbr? I read on my laptop and flip it bookways when I get digital comics. Even using my settings to rotate the screen sideways, Comixology, on full screen is a pile of poo poo that makes me scroll.

How the gently caress are pirated comics able to be read more conveniently than ones that actually see the creators getting paid?

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

I used to be able to grab the page jpgs from Firefox's cache after loading the comic. That hasn't worked in a while.

I don't think it's a bad except for going pretty low res on double page spreads. You should check out the Marvel Unlimited reader. Woof.

That doesn't get me Rat Queens when my LCS forgets to order it. I'd love to go totally digital and just get trades from Amazon, but reading on comixology is poo poo. I mean, I guess I could just buy it from comixology and then hit up the pbay, but at some point I'm just going to decide it's easier to pirate a readable format instead of pay and pirate.

\/\/\/ But a tablet is even smaller than my laptop screen? .cbrs flipped 90 degrees read perfectly.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Feb 27, 2014

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone remember a comic panel that was posted here about some up coming comic or web comic that had a girl with a sword running down a bridge and beating the poo poo out of some skeletons? It was posted maybe a year ago or more. It just popped into my head and, for the life of me, I can't remember what it was from or if it was ever released.

\/\/\/Thanks!

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 9, 2014

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Schneider Heim posted:

What happened to the girl Nomad? I have a trade of her (during the time when Bucky was Cap) but she doesn't seem to be around anymore?

Possessed by Onslaught and sacrificed her life in a really lovely cross over.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Granted, Marvel has surprised me with their lack of professionalism lately, so I may very well be surprised again.

What has Marvel done? I can't remember anything crazy from then since the hobopiss incident.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Here's a Q: So I'm hype as gently caress about the Flash show and it makes me want to read some Flash comics, but DC doesn't have a digital back catalogue service like Marvel's. How come? Are their licensing issues that Marvel doesn't have or something? Seems to me like the quickest way to lose in a market where there are only two competitors is to let the other guy do something you aren't doing.

DC refuses to do anything Marvel does.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Well, I think Reed and Sue are the only Marvel marriage now. Spidey sold his to the devil, Storm and Panther split during AvX, Mockingbird was a skrull when she marries/divorced Hawkeye. I can't think of any other Marvel marriages. Maybe Kazaar and Shana? Black Bolt and Medusa?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Alien Rope Burn posted:

How could you forget Northstar and... and... that guy? Whats-his-name?

There's always Luke Cage and Jessica Jones, mind.

I cannot believe I forgot Luke and Jessica. Also Deadpool and monster lady.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Unmature posted:

Is Final Crisis still worth reading post-New52? For some reason I've just never read it despite loving Morrison and DC at that time.

Never worry about comics "counting". If the premise, the creators, the characters, whatever appeal to you, read it. I didn't care for Final Crisis as it's peak Morrison, but if you like DC and like Morrison, you'll probably enjoy it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
But at one point it was explained that because he is a tree his vocal cords are only able to produce those sounds. I think it was an issue with the Inhumans.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Has there been any news on Nonplayer? Has the creator healed up from his accident?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Wildcats 3.0 remains my favorite Wildstorm comic. I am so disappointed at what the did to Grifter in nu52

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Crab whales are the second best thing to come from that event. Rockslide/Gambit plan was the best.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

friendo55 posted:

What's the best method to fill the remaining long-box when there aren't enough comics (yet) to fill it up? I don't want them falling over anymore.

I crammed miscellaneous poo poo in the back.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Walk in late?

When my local theater remodeled and put in the recliners, they also started to do assigned seating when you purchase tickets. You can buy your awesome seats days before the movie, walk in 20 minutes after it starts and take your seats right as the film starts.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Was Taters posted:

Can you also buy alcohol and get a waiter to your seat? If not, your theater's not as good as mine. :colbert:

Yes and no. They have a bar in the theater, but no one brings it to your seat. That said, ticket prices are the same as non-fancy theaters.

They also have the self serve Space-Coke machine with a billion different flavors. I bring a pint of rum in with me and mix it with raspberry coke.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Alamo Drafthouse y'all. They even have assigned seats so you don't have to show up obscenely early to avoid sitting in the front row.

Oh man, that's the other nice thing. The seats lean so far back that the first row, while not ideal, is still fine for viewing. I actually prefer the third row now instead of the middle of the theater, it's great.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

BadAstronaut posted:

Going to watch it on Thursday, wanted some background before then, not scared of spending $20-30 if you guys can suggest something I can plough through before then so I can go into the movie a little more than blind? (So far my experience with Guardians of the Galaxy is playing a bit of Rocket Raccoon in Marvel vs Capcom 3).

I honestly don't think you need any sort of background for the movie (seeing it tonight), but you will end up reading some good comics if you choose to!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

SiKboy posted:

You're thinking of Shadowcat.

Dazzler went goth.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I thought my reflexes were too fast for that to happen.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

All green Marvel dudes were gray first.

This is the Best Post.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Jack Gladney posted:

Mind blown. It's just brill-creamed curly hair, like dudes from the 40's:

This is crazier than when I learned what Jughead's hat was, or the dots on Dagwood's chest.

Do tell.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
30-60 minutes, tight focus. I don't give a poo poo about whatever local BS you're going on about and will stop listening. Have a topic, stick to that topic.

Then again, the only podcasts I listen to are Star Talk, Nightvale, Thrilling Adventure Hour and, sometimes, How Did This Get Made.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Gotham by Midnight was actually pretty good! I am now up to 1 DC title!

I'm sure it'll be cancled by issue 6.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

CzarChasm posted:

Am I weird in that bad art in comics doesn't bother me or stop me from enjoying comics for the most part?

I mean there's an old early 2000's All CGI Batman comic that my eyes slide right off of, and some of the Injustice Year One stuff was posted here under the funny panels. But beyond that, as long as I can recognize the characters and distinguish them from one another, I don't mind. I have seen the examples from Greg land, where if you were to line up his female characters faces side by side, I couldn't tell them apart, but I consider that an oddity rather than the rule.

I've never really been one to linger on the art, which is sort of silly since that's half the appeal of comics, but there it is. I have artists I dislike, but none so much they'll drive me away.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Phylodox posted:

I really like Rat Queens and, despite the fact that he turned out to be an abusive shitlord, Roc Upchurch's art had a lot to do with that and I'm anxious about how the art's gonna look now.

:ohdear:

There are examples in the Indy thread and their facebook page has samples, too.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Keep an eye on this super powerful mutant I brainwashed against his will.

If you mean who gets the school then no, the story has not finished. But now it has time travel!

Holy poo poo, I forgot all about this. How did Bendis go from one of my favorite writers to a name I'm coming to dread?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

Gail Simone's kickass run directly after.

The last time these words were ever true :911:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Scaramouche posted:

This is an odd one, but can someone summarize Superior Foes of Spider Man 15-17 for me? I have up to 14 but have changed my budgeting around so I'm not buying nearly as many comics any more, so i realize I'll probably never finish getting that series. You can spoiler text it if you want.

You can probably just get Marvel Unlimited since you're so far behind.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Hey, so Avengers and New Avengers trades are not so easy to navigate now that I'm trying to fill in my physical collection.

Avengers is 1, 2, 3
New Avengers is just 1

This is where I lose it. Vol 4 & 2 are Infinity, but do they include the Infinity event? I'm probably better off with thisGiant Collection that has everything.

Then we go back to normal numbering, Avengers 5 and 6, New Avengers 3, and 4. Does this bring me up to the Time Runs out trades? There's 3 volumes out now and 1 more to come, if I'm reading Amazon correctly.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
That is a mess. I can't imagine how annoying this must be for a new reader if I'm having this much trouble.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Dunbar posted:

Combined with the utterly impenetrable plot and yes, it's been a joy to try and follow :)

I am sorry. It really is a great story.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Tabby was still wearing her trench coat when she showed up in whatever xmen series a month or two back.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ultragonk posted:

That's great I just bought a tablet last week, and they have a UK site. Thanks.

Also, Marvel Unlimited is about ten bux a month and has all modern comics up to six months ago, along with a good portion of classic comics.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
So, basically, what you're saying is that Ultimate Frank was a cop, and good at his job. But he committed the ultimate sin and testified against other cops gone bad, cops that tried to kill him, but got the woman he loved instead. Framed for murder, now he prowls the badlands, an outlaw hunting outlaws, a bounty hunter... a RENEGADE!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Isn't Baz's deal? I stopped reading dc a little bit after he was introduced

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Just finished Avenger's Childrens Crusade and it was pretty good.

This is the first time that combination of words have been posted.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

Okay so as I've been reading through tons of books I've been noticing that theres a lot of good stuff that comes from image, and it's also varied you know like they don't just do superhero comics. So i don't really know much about image's history but i know it was started by McFarlane and liefeld and Jim Lee and some others and that they were doing spawn and wildcats and i think youngblood? and okay my point is that the publisher started with hero type books.

I know this may be a silly question but was the change just a natural outgrowth of name recognition earned over time gaining trust and willingness by creators to go to them with their work, or was there a moment where the original guys moved on from actually making books and that allowed others in move in and full the void, or like an editorial decision to change it up? Am i just completely off base and they've been putting out unique stuff the whole time? lol

Someone, maybe E&C made a really good effort post about Image some time ago that went into their history, but no, they didn't start out as the company they are now. Early Image was 110% style over substance. I don't remember when they started pushing away from superheroes, but they began to bring in good writers somewhat early.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
edit: this isn't the derailed thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I liked livewires