Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Uthor posted:

I'm down to Hawkeye (when it comes out), Rocket Raccoon (great art, alright story), Elektra (still not sure if I'd recommend it) and Hawkeye vs Deadpool (one good issue, two okay issues).

I'm reading a bunch of books my friend gets, but the only one I look forward to is Thor.

Edit: ^^^^^^ Oh, yeah, Daredevil in trade and I really want to read Ms. Marvel but will wait for an eventual comiXology sale.

Well, you won't have to worry about recommending Elektra much longer!

My monthly Marvel reading is something like:
Avengers
New Avengers
Daredevil (ending soonish)
Elektra (canceled)
Rocket Raccoon (probably dropping)
Cyclops (might drop)
Thor
Angela (giving it another couple issues, anyway)
Loki
She-Hulk (canceled)
Ultimate Spider-Man
Ms. Marvel
Miracleman
Hawkeye (almost done)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I just got a trade via Media Mail, so I guess it's technically okay. I mean, USPS isn't really ripping open packages to ensure there's no ads in them. I usually just sell stuff on Amazon. If you price your book around the same as the lowest, they usually sell pretty quickly.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hakkesshu posted:

I admit I don't know anything about how the artist/company relationship works, but my understanding is that it's contractual and most artists do several jobs for more than one company at a time. Does someone like Marvel actually employ artists in-house exclusively on a full-time basis? Now I know some artists work faster than others, but could you theoretically pump out one good-looking issue a week if you had nothing else on the table?
You'd have to be a god of penciling. Few modern pencilers can maintain a one book a month workload, never mind adding MORE to that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

prefect posted:

John Romita Jr. is supposed to be super-fast, isn't he? I think he was doing more than one book a month for a while.
JRJr and Bagley are two who come to mind, but like I said, there's few who can manage that and they're definitely exceptions today.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

HitTheTargets posted:

Hey, do we know Lady Thor's origin yet?

She was on the moon, picked up Thor's hammer and gained the power of Thor.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

To be fair, 1991 was the year the internet hit 1 million users worldwide, so there wasn't a lot of people using it then, in general. Granted, the number of comic readers were probably a greater proportion of that 1 million than the general population, but it still probably wasn't a lot of them.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

HondaCivet posted:

Wow that's dumb. The shop made it sound like it happens pretty often. They are definitely not a big shop and carry more indie stuff so I can imagine them being a low priority. :( Good to know that it's just a normal crappy part of the comics business.
You should see if they'll set up a pull list for you. Every shop I've ever been to will do it, and quite a few don't mind doing just one book. It won't fix any problems with Diamond loving up an order, but it will at least ensure that the store orders a copy for you, which is a good idea for a book that might be of limited or niche appeal. Very few stores will require you to pay until you pick it up.

(It also gives stores an idea of how many rack copies they should order in addition to the customer copies, which can help boost sales and keep a book being made.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yep. Then you're hopefully good!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Stop using us to do your homework for your website, Gavok. ;)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gavok posted:

Hey, man, you're not the one who has to deal with comment sections full of, "Um, actually!"

Anyway, on a different note, a few months ago someone posted these awesome pages in the touching panels thread about Megatron joining the Autobots and then being accused of possibly turning evil again in the future and going on a murder spree. What ever happened with that story?

Boy have I got the shirt for you!

http://www.comedybutton.com/collections/merchandise/products/actually-shirt-mens

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

IDW has been really good at making Megatron a sympathetic character, really. All he wanted to do was write poetry, but society forced him to be a miner because that's what his alt mode was. Even the Decepticon rebellion was supposed to be non-violent but he just got broken down by everything.

Granted, that doesn't excuse him from attempted genocide and starting leading a multi-million year war, but still.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

...What the gently caress is Optimus wearing/being?

And what's Megs' defence?
Something about the Knights of Cybertron (a potentially mythical group of Cybertronians) being the only adequate peers to properly judge him, so he got them to fit him with a power disabler and let him co-captain Rodimus's ship to find said Knights.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WickedHate posted:

Where do I start reading with IDW Transformers? Holy poo poo this all sounds really interesting.

MTMTE is really good comics by any estimation other than some sketchy art in some issues. RID is also good, but not quite so much. MTMTE technically spins off of the first or second issue of RID, but it's not terribly important.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Si Spurrier is in the latest Rachel and Miles podcast and he mentions his editors shooting down his ideas on occasion as "too Claremontian." That is an idea that is way too Claremontian.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Waterhaul posted:

You're gross.

Everybody stop being gross and talking about comic book characters junk or lack thereof.

Can I talk about IRL junk for a moment?

Human testicles sit outside the torso because they need temperatures somewhat lower than body temperature to produce sperm, so storing them in her ribcage wouldn't actually have any viable sperm.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think there was other dumb reasoning behind that since they're all Venom's babies.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Didn't Revanche end up with Psylocke's original powers in addition to her body?

Ugh what a stupid plotline.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bobkatt013's job isn't being an rear end in a top hat, it's tricking people into reading horrible comics.

The bigger problem is that he likes to mix it up with good recommendations so it's like the Every Flavored Beans of comics.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Die Laughing posted:

Yes, but he believed Guardians of the Galaxy when they said that no one is 100% a dick.

EDIT: I know Rhyno is going to have some story soon about how he built a house for the homeless out of 90's Image books, but I'm going to take my shots when I can.
That wouldn't help his case imo.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm a loner, Rhyno. A rebel.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't really know if there's a consolidated spot to find out when things are coming out, the weekly shipping thread lists everything for that week, so check there weekly, I guess? Alternatively, check the solicits for each month which generally come out four months ahead (Marvel's June ones don't appear to be out yet). If you're reading digitally, you can just set up subscriptions for those titles on Comixology. Of those three, Star Wars and Darth Vader are ongoings, while Princess Leia is a 5 issue miniseries.

There's no thread to talk about them other than the licensed comic thread,, I suppose but feel free to make one!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeahhhhh, that just sounds like someone trying to find an in-universe reason for power creep.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"Somewhere in the midwest" is about as close as you'll get, but the comics have placed it in MIssouri, adjacent to Keystone City in Kansas, so it's more like Kansas City than St. Louis.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

zoux posted:

I really liked the Dark Avengers idea when I read it, what was the contemporary fan response? I thought all of Dark Reign was cool actually.

I liked Dark Reign, though it ended like poo poo.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Uncanny #600 has a lot of work to do if Bendis wants to even bother trying to set things up for Secret Wars. :allears:
Bendis doesn't have to set anything up. He can end it however he wants (provided he doesn't do something like kill Scott) and let someone else fill in the interim between the end and 8 months later.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

zoux posted:

Well I checked out May/June solicits, is it a safe bet to assume all the #1's are probably SW related?

The reason I'm asking all this stuff is because I'm planning on using this reboot (or whatever) to finally get into reading comics contemporarily. Until now I read almost exclusively TPBs/Marvel U. I guess my plan is to pick up the Secret Wars books as well as the minis that look interesting to me.
Yeah. They all have Secret Wars logos on the cover, so it's pretty easy to tell. You're going about it mostly right, but be sure to check the creators before buying anything. I just know that's going to annoy me trying to figure out what I want.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

McCoy does medical stuff all the time and his speciality is mutation, sounds like he's got a MD to me, and I'm sure Reed took a lazy Sunday at some point to learn medicine.
Beast has PhD's in biophysics and genetics. No MD.

Dr. Reyes, does, however, have an MD.

Wiki says Prof X has PhD's in genetics, biophysics, psychology, and anthropology, as well as an MD in psychiatry.

And when did PhD's stop being "real" doctorate degrees? Calling a PhD "doctor" is a completely normal thing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Didn't he just start phoning it in with Poser art eventually?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LMAO this is a thing that someone was paid for and actually published.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

redbackground posted:

Those aren't even from the same thing.

So it's TWO awful things that were paid for and published. Even worse!

I would actually rather look at Greg Land comics than that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That second panel needs to be an avatar.

redbackground posted:

Oh, hi U.S. War Machine 2.0!

U.S. War Machine 1.0 used Poser, also, but it was black and white, so it wasn't as egregious.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

As a resident of Earth-Prime, I do not remember that happening. So I would like to thank our universe's Superboy for punching that bit of reality out of existence.

And, yes, making him a raging fanboy was a brilliant way to take it after Infinite Crisis was finished with him.

You're not a resident of Earth-Prime because Superboy isn't in our universe. Earth-Prime is just a universe that looks a lot like ours up until Superboy starts existing, at which point it is obviously not ours. :colbert:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Booblord Zagats posted:

It did, the IC thread in GBS is the sole reason BSS was created. There were tons of avatars of people with wild guesses to the perpetrator from possible culprits like Deathstroke, Dr. light etc to crazy poo poo like Plastic man, Mighty Mouse and time traveling Hitler

Literally any of those would have been more satisfying.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gavok posted:

Currently working on the Street Fighter one (and eventually Tekken)! Which involves trying to figure out which one of the paper-thin SF1 characters was the absolute worst. I've decided it's Lee.
Please link when done.

And Dan better be top 10.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

If you read too much X-Men, Claremontisms will own you body and soul.
No quarter will be asked, and none given.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Potsticker posted:

Isn't that Furman?

He may have used it as well, but it's Claremont as hell.

Here's some randomd blog to back me up, toveritch! http://stason.org/TULARC/art/comics-xbooks/68-What-s-a-Claremontism.html#.VbrxdRGzGUU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well, Pym claimed that with him back on Earth from Skrull captivity, Cho is the 8th, but that doesn't really track, since Skrull Pym *was* Pym as far as everyone was aware, so the list is something like:

1. Reed Richards
2. Doctor Doom
3. Hank Pym
4. Bruce Banner
5. Tony Stark
6. T'Challa
7. Amadeus Cho

(Everything after 2 is just placed there randomly)

EDIT: If you want to accept Pym's claim as accurate, then slot in Leader, Beast, or Xavier in there.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

zoux posted:

Is Doom considered to be the #2 smart guy?
Doom's intelligence is consistently portrayed as very slightly less than Reed's, yeah.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

There's one comic where Pym comes back to Earth from being in Skrull jail and says it now makes Cho the 8th.

This is dumb, though, because he would have been counted anyway since everyone thought Skrull Pym was Pym.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well, what you have to remember is that Amadeus's "Seventh Smartest Person on Earth!" designation was from a soap company, so anyone above him would have to be *reasonably* within the public conscious. Given this, Valeria was probably not one the six people they consider smarter, though, yeah, she almost certainly is.